Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols

Options
  • 08-09-2004 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

Anyone here a Scholar, thinking of doing Schols or done schols? I'd be interedted to here what your opinions are on it.

Is it more effort than it's worth? Is it too hard to be worthwhile?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Kappar wrote:
    Anyone here a Scholar, thinking of doing Schols or done schols? I'd be interedted to here what your opinions are on it.

Is it more effort than it's worth? Is it too hard to be worthwhile?

While i'm not a scholar, there are some major benefits to getting it. Free food, accomadation and been invited to some official do's. Think of the money you'd save on acc. alone!!!!? It is a lot of work but remember 2nd year courses are not the most difficult in the world. I know of at least one scholar who posts on boards...i'll ask them to post here about their experiences of it..

p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

i concur with pskelly, should really have done that bit of work, would be well worth it, you can give up the accodmation and they will pay u the value of it if u like.

Triceradon wrote:
    you can give up the accodmation and they will pay u the value of it if u like.
    Really....never knew that. Considering the prices of rooms on campus now...that's a nice little earner.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Sounds very tempting indeed. I think I might consider doing it, well I say that now :-)

well not sure if its 100% of the value, but its close on it.
    and yeah we all said that......hard enuf to get stuck into study close to the start of the yr...

• Advertisement

Kappar wrote:
    Sounds very tempting indeed. I think I might consider doing it, well I say that now :-)

Well remember you will get very well rewarded if you put in the effort.

Triceradon wrote:
    well not sure if its 100% of the value, but its close on it.
    and yeah we all said that......hard enuf to get stuck into study close to the start of the yr...

That sums me up exactly....would have done grand on the geography part but would have struggled badly with the sociology half (god, i hated that subjuect so much).....but in the end my own natural lazziness kicked in and to my shame i'd didn't bother m'arse. :D

yeah i think some sorta natural lazyness thing kicks in 'Umm i might not get it, so just saying i was lazy is easier than doing em and doing crap' ...certainly close on my approach......

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

In my opinion everyone should have a go at schols. it gets you ready for the end of year exams earlier. But even if you just get a II.1 that means that you have the year off from that subject from March on.

You can do schols in 3rd year also I might add.

At the moment I'm recieving free rooms on campus which i sa nice bonus. So i'm sort of a demi-schol. This March I will be sitting schols in TSM Economics and Sociology. Aiming for them but will settle for exemptions... 7months off would be a welcome reward :)

demi-schol?
    and well yeah you can do em in 3rd year, on your 2nd year subjects tho, and of course exemptions are useless to u then.

And you don't hear about schols/exemptions till the middle/end of april if i recall....

• Advertisement

Triceradon wrote:
    demi-schol?
    and well yeah you can do em in 3rd year, on your 2nd year subjects tho, and of course exemptions are useless to u then.

And you don't hear about schols/exemptions till the middle/end of april if i recall....

indeed indeed

Demi-schol = won a Bursery Award that just started this year for the first time. An anonymous doner pays for a room in the GMB for some one involved heavily in DU Publications. Not just Trinity News but many others. I won it to my suprise. I have to sign a contract with the Junior Dean binding me to do certain deeds for DU PUBS. I think its going to be based around me providing creative direction and IT support to the publications. Not too hard as I have done most of the hard work over the summer... The weird thing is some dude out there is paying for my accommodation and I have no way of knowing who it is :)

As for finding out if your a schol or not. You find out about the exemptions in mid April but you don't know if you are a schol or not till trinity Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 guwh

I did Schol and would recommend others to do it. The exams are usually (but not always) a little harder than the annual exams. In some cases, they only cover the material up to the end of Hilary term.

I only got an exemption, which was brilliant... 6 months summer holidays!

If you get Schol, you have the honour of being a scholar of the college, free accomodation for up to 5 years, free fees (which could become an issue again if Noel Dempsey has his way) for up to 5 years, which can cover a postgrad, free Commons, an annual salary of €254!

Even if you don't get an exemption, you would be much better prepared for the exams in June, as I know of very few students who would spend their Easter holidays studying without something like Schol to keep them going.

I started studying too late. I honestly think that Christmas would be a good time to start, as difficult as it may be. A friend of mine is a foundation scholar, (one of the top 70 in college), and that's when he started.

Best of luck to anyone who wants to do it this year!

gom wrote:
    You can do schols in 3rd year also I might add.
    You can theoretically do schols in any year, but it make most sense to do them in second year, as that is when you are taught the relevant material, and when you are in the lectures of those lecturers who set the papers.

You can also avail of exemptions if you sit them in second year.

...Yeah but i enjoy'd my spring break snowboarding in 2nd yr ;)

...Christmass is usually early enuf its only about when most of my m8's started, and despite what some of em say/do ye don't need to give up yer life, m8 of mine who got the toronto scol(top one..) still went out now n then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

guwh wrote:
    A friend of mine is a foundation scholar, (one of the top 70 in college)
    What the difference between foundation and non-foundation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Hmm.. Schols in 3rd year.. What material would it be testing?

2nd yr material, you get the same paper as the 2nd yr's doing it get....
    which means its a hell of alot of work...

Triceradon wrote:
    2nd yr material, you get the same paper as the 2nd yr's doing it get....
    which means its a hell of alot of work...

Yeah? Well then 'taint worth it! Only hinder me.. :)
    Thanks

Well if u plan on doing a postgrad it could be well worth it, other than that you'd only get the one year of free accodmation so not really. you still get the 5yrs so could cover ye up to near on a phd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

i got schol. tis great alright and worth doing but i think the free fees stop after you do a masters even if you've got some of the five years remaining. not sure tho.

yeah its all rather cloak n dagger type stuff.....
    afaik aslong as ur here has a student it continues but meh only heard that thru people, not like someone actually tell's u all about it ever lol

Triceradon wrote:
    Well if u plan on doing a postgrad it could be well worth it, other than that you'd only get the one year of free accodmation so not really. you still get the 5yrs so could cover ye up to near on a phd

Yeah, I aint plannin to do my postgrad in tcd tho, the physics research is mostly materials based and the ones that aren't dinna interest me much either.

is that new bell labs center they r putting in going to possibly have some new topics for ya? or is it all bio stuff? (i somewhat remember it not being topics that to me seemed the most interesting out of bell labs research....move the holo-graphic storage to here and then i'm interested... )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Do Schols cover stuff that hasn't been cover in lectures yet? Like for hte full year instead of just two terms.

depends on the course....have to ask yer lecturer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

according to that PDF file it just till hillary term for engineering, which is called engineering science for some reason. How do they decided who becoems a foundation scholar or who becomes and non foundation scholar? they call it an election, how does that work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Each course is allotted a certain amount of scholar places to fill, the people who score highest fill those places. Everyone who scores a II.1 or higher on an exam gets an exemption in that exam. You have to get a II.1 at least in all exams in the schols to qualify for scholarship, although in reality you really need a good first to have any chance.

Kappar wrote:
    What the difference between foundation and non-foundation?
    Foundation Scholar is just a title given to the top 70 scholars in college.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

i thought a foundation was when you got all firsts?

Advertisement