Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Gortex really the bees knees?

Options
  • 13-08-2020 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

Drives up the price on jackets, gloves etc but are the in house equivalents just as good e.g. Dainese D Dry - will this keep you just as dry?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Goretex is used now like the word 'Hoover' is for vacuum cleaners.

I think other branded alternatives are just as effective. Water resistant I'd call all of them, not water 'proof'.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Personally I stick with a good padded leather jacket. Had it for years now, wax it once a year to keep it waterproof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Personally I stick with a good padded leather jacket. Had it for years now, wax it once a year to keep it waterproof.

Does it have any protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If you want proper WP gear that actually works and lasts years GTX is what you need. Own brand WP liners aren't to the same standard and eventually leak. That said, whether GTX is worth it, is more down to how you'll use it.

Also, keep an eye out for deals online, GTX isn't always eye wateringly expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Probably said it here before but my Gore-Tex jacket is almost as old as I am and it's still doesn't let in a drop. Gloves the same. Bought cheaper pants and they leak in the heaviest rain, they're not bad but it's definitely not the same quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,683 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Are bees knees really the knees...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Goretex are also apparently very fussy about the garments that they allow their name to be used on. So it makes sense they'd be high quality at least, and at best markedly higher quality than competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Dancewithme

Hi am looking for recommendations for jackets that will keep out the rain over winter. Want helly Hansen but can't afford. If anyone has any recommendations that would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Denny61

I've a pair of boots I wear on farm for about 8 months of the year .I've them 20 years .ecco boots..goretex leather. So soft. Too .stand up to any thing..so ya Goretex is the bees knees incidentally. They cost 130 euro over 20 years ago .Well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ratracer

Yes it is!
    Sheltex or any other patent copy of it is crap in my experience.

Pay decent money once and it pays for itself, otherwise you will be replacing the item and end up paying similar money as you would have anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Denny61

Hi am looking for recommendations for jackets that will keep out the rain over winter. Want helly Hansen but can't afford. If anyone has any recommendations that would be appreciated
    .you can't go wrong with regatta .warm and keep out any rain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Denny61 wrote: »

Keeps out any rain if its not raining more like, there's a quantum leap of a difference between this and gortex jackets.
    I paid big money probably about 15 years ago for a Dainese Goretex jacket and it would still do good in a heavy shower, it lasted 100% for at least 6 years everyday couriering.

Are you confusing regatta with rukka by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Being a full blown hydrophobic fair weather fairy I rarely test the gear:pac: but I recently bagged a 2nd hand goretex laminate jacket and tis the bidness. Doesn't get drippy and heavy when wet, water beads off it and it breathes way better, lighter n less bulky too. With a nickwax treatment it actually doesn't get wet, just shake it off lol.

Anyone looking for decent quality 2nd gear on ebay should search for hein gericke goretex, mine is the laminate Pro psx iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Denny61 wrote: »

Maybe over a bike jacket. Won't have any protection in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

There is a reason it is expensive, it works. Simple.

Not saying that brands own waterproof line doesnt work but I have had Dainese boots with the D Dry or what ever they use and after 3mths leaked. Same with RST boots terrible.

Everything I have for the wet is GTX, if I cant afford the it I wait to buy till I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

As I understand it, Goretex garments have to be submitted to Goretex for approval so they can carry the tag.
    If a garment doesn't make the grade at Goretex due to manufacturing issues or design it is rejected and has to be resubmitted.
    This is largely the reason for the price difference between Gore and other waterproof materials.

Laminates are the best for lightness and waterproofness especially if they have DWR coatings which make the water bead and run off.

I am tempted by the Oxford Mondial Advanced jacket, although not GTX it has very good reviews and isn't super expensive.

CJ, I was looking at the mondial one myself. Cheapest I found is on sportsbikesshop if you're looking.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/433510

CJ, I was looking at the mondial one myself. Cheapest I found is on sportsbikesshop if you're looking.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/433510

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/textile-jackets-trousers-suits/oxford-mondial-laminate-jacket-trousers-review
    Steve Rose likes it.
    I’ve spent most of the winter riding through torrential rain and storms, racking up the miles, wondering if this is the trip when the waterproofing on this well-priced suit will fail. So far it has absolutely and totally failed to let me down. That’s impressive enough, but the fact that it is also warm, comfy and has pockets that are equally waterproof is a real eye-opener about what is possible for less than £500

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I picked up Gortex laminate jacket and pants last December. Its a massive difference to the shelltex hein gericke gear I had. the biggest benefit is the water beads off it. It does not soak into the under garment. Although the old gear kept me dry it was still a pain to dry out the outer layer overnight before my commute the next morning. If you are an all season commuter I would definitely recommend the laminate Goretex over the standard Goretex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I have Goretex (summer) gloves and boots.

Both have been bone dry since I got them a year ago. The other major adavantage of Goretex (imo) is is more breathable than the alternatives. Neither gloves nor boots are sweaty.

Couldn't afford Goretex Jacket/Pants though when I was buying but I will try to pick them up individually on sale when my current ones wear.

• Advertisement

I picked up Gortex laminate jacket and pants last December. Its a massive difference to the shelltex hein gericke gear I had. the biggest benefit is the water beads off it. It does not soak into the under garment. Although the old gear kept me dry it was still a pain to dry out the outer layer overnight before my commute the next morning. If you are an all season commuter I would definitely recommend the laminate Goretex over the standard Goretex.
    Which one? Can you link it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Which one? Can you link it?

https://www.motorcycleshop.ie/richa-atlantic-gore-tex-jacket-black-58330-p.asp they had a sale at the time so I picked up the jacket and pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Does it have any protection?

My one does yeah, it was a Richa one I got absolutely years ago. Easily 17 or so years ago. It's pretty thick and the few small incidents and one serious incident I've had it was absolutely fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

I've Held goretex jacket and pants, they were both around €300 each. I've them nearly 5 years and still fully waterproof. I've tried lots of other "waterproof" gear and nothing comes near the goretex.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I have just ordered the RST Laminate Textile suit, should be in for me in 2 weeks. Will let you all know how it fears out....

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I have just ordered the RST Laminate Textile suit, should be in for me in 2 weeks. Will let you all know how it fears out....
    Hope it rains for you! :eek:

I'll do the same, went for the Dainese Carve master 2

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/340137

Wonda, do you have a link to the gear you're getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

My cousin has the carve master 2 kit and we got caught in a good bit of rain yesterday it's a quality piece of kit for the price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

My cousin has the carve master 2 kit and we got caught in a good bit of rain yesterday it's a quality piece of kit for the price.

Is that an Adventure jacket?

Advertisement