Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof options

Options
  • 14-10-2019 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Got drenched this morning on the way in, so much so that I was actually thinking about taking the car next time it's raining, such horrible thoughts. I apologised to my bike for mentally cheating on it while riding and promised I won't act on my devious thoughts.

Anyways... my gear is drip drying on a rack close to a radiator, and jumper is on said rad as it's soaked too.

I normally treat my jacket and pants with a rain sealant or wax of some sort, e.g. Oxford rain seal or Nikwax, but haven't done that since end of last summer. What do you guys recommend treatment wise?

Also, does anyone have any specific recommendations for waterproof overalls?

My gear is Dainese gore tex, a bit old (6 years I think?!) but in very good condition so no need for replacement yet at all, it's just a tad leakier than it was in it's heyday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

I've one of these

Not the most attractive looking thing but works perfectly, a pair of over boot covers and dry to the bone after my 25km commute in the p!ssings this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

I'm a dainese fan, but I find if you're wearing it regularly, 4-5 years is about how long they last before they start to leak.

I've tried various treatments, but they were only short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

colm_c wrote: »
    I'm a dainese fan, but I find if you're wearing it regularly, 4-5 years is about how long they last before they start to leak.

I've tried various treatments, but they were only short term.
    That's what I was worried about, gear is perfect, bar the waterproofing. I've had to treat it the last 2 years, but not necessary to buy new gear any time soon.
    sirmixalot wrote: »
    I've one of these

Not the most attractive looking thing but works perfectly, a pair of over boot covers and dry to the bone after my 25km commute in the p!ssings this morning.

Gonna have to opt for this. I was looking at the Held, RST or Richa. Generally ride with a hi-viz so might get a rain suit with that already incorporated.

I'm not precious about form at the cost of function, but don't want it flapping in the wind while riding. How do you find the fit? I'm in size 52 jacket and pants, don't wanna go full Michelin Man on it, but also don't want something that isn't gonna have any effect cos it's too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Them one piece rain suits can be a nuisance to get on and off. But they are generally a great option. Because you need to size up to get over gear its sometimes hard not to look like the michelin man as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If it was me, I'd go 2 piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I know it wasn't pretty looking, but when I used to do average 120km daily in the rain I used to wear black cheap(ish) water proof pull ups and jacket over my gear. Quick and easy to put on / take off / store and it kept me 95% dry in the worse of weather.
    Last bike was a big trailie, so in the winter I would put the mitts on the bars which kept hands, switches etc nice and dry.
    In the absolute worse weather I might get a bit of water getting in around the neck, but otherwise dry and with the extra layer a bit warmer in the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

sirmixalot wrote: »
    I've one of these

I've used this exact one for over 6 weeks.
    Been in the trenching rain/storm and my gear underneath is bone dry.
    I got it the same size as my gear. Fits over grand.
    It does the job brilliantly.

I'm 5'10, wear a large Richa jacket and trousers.
    Got the extra large in the over suit and fits perfect. I ride a VStrom 1000 with the stock wind deflector and feel no flapping at all in it. Nothing in the chest area and esp not in the legs, there's not much room between the over suit and the jacket/trousers so all good in that part.
    I agree with GBX though, was a pain at the start but do it a few times and you develop a knack for it, especially if you have a pair covers for your boots, those covers make your boots slide straight through the material as the rubber from just boots makes them awkward as f%$k to get on/off.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭schaffer

Colm17RvB wrote: »

My gear is Dainese gore tex, a bit old (6 years I think?!) but in very good condition so no need for replacement yet at all, it's just a tad leakier than it was in it's heyday.

Try contacting gore-tex directly as they have a supposed guarantee
    https://www.gore-tex.com/support/guarantee-and-returns

See also the following on how they recommend to refresh the water repellency
    https://www.gore-tex.com/restoring-water-repellency

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I only recently discovered that there are different variations of Gore Tex. I hope to pick up some gear at the end of the year in the sales. I'll be aiming for the Gore Tex pro laminated. I believe this doesn't allow water past the first barrier. It's pricy but I look at it as a 10 year investment ( if looked after).

Only problem now is there are so many different opinions on the brand its hard to decide. Rukka seem to get the best review but then there are alot saying the likes of Richa which could be half the price does just as well.

I have looked at the roadcraft aerostitch which looks good but I would be worried about the fit and having to send it back to the States for repairs etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I ride all year around commuting long distances. Genuinely Ireland isn't as pissy wet as is made out.

I'd say my gear gets properly soaked about 14 days if the year total.

Personally I'd just go with an over suit.

Gore tex laminate Is well reviewed but for it to last 10 years it would mean you'd have to keep the bike upright for 10 years too. Because it's the outer layer I'd imagine it's one use when it comes to impacts/ accidents. With a high denier outer layer your jacket is more likely to survive an accident. That was something I considered anyway when looking at goretex options.

You can't go wrong with Rukka or Richa, I'd get the cheaper of the 2 unless one has a particular feature you really want but both would be equally waterproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

In my almost 20 years of riding I have not found any piece of gear that kept me dry. My commute is 1 hour on the motorway. Driving rain at 120kph always finds a way in.

I have tried so many different gear setups over the years but after about 30 mins in heavy rain you feel the familiar cold trickle down the ball sack.

I have just accepted that biking in the rain over a long distance means that I get soaked.

Tzardine wrote: »
    In my almost 20 years of riding I have not found any piece of gear that kept me dry. My commute is 1 hour on the motorway. Driving rain at 120kph always finds a way in.

I have tried so many different gear setups over the years but after about 30 mins in heavy rain you feel the familiar cold trickle down the ball sack.

I have just accepted that biking in the rain over a long distance means that I get soaked.

Goretex.

listermint wrote: »
    I ride all year around commuting long distances. Genuinely Ireland isn't as pissy wet as is made out.

I'd say my gear gets properly soaked about 14 days if the year total.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

zubair wrote: »
    Goretex.

Had Dainese goretex boots and gloves. Both leaked.

Gloves will always leak before anything else does because there's so many seams and they get more use, I've come to accept this but goretex will last longer than most . My goretex boots haven't leaked in 3 years. My jacket and trousers are the same after a year. All used daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

I've got the same goretex boots for 6 years, still leak free.

Gloves usually start to leak for me after 2 years, again with the seams.

Jacket/pants, usually the seams start to leak after 5 years.

All gore-tex and I ride daily, 300+ days per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭listermint

tenor.gif

Tbf how many days would you be soaked through on the bike. I bet you can count them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

I've been using muffs so my summer gloves are usually dry all the time :p

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Tbf how many days would you be soaked through on the bike. I bet you can count them.

Well, I never get soaked through as above but I definitely think i rride on more wet days than dry ones in a year.

Gore tex laminate Is well reviewed but for it to last 10 years it would mean you'd have to keep the bike upright for 10 years too. Because it's the outer layer I'd imagine it's one use when it comes to impacts/ accidents. With a high denier outer layer your jacket is more likely to survive an accident. That was something I considered anyway when looking at goretex options.

You can't go wrong with Rukka or Richa, I'd get the cheaper of the 2 unless one has a particular feature you really want but both would be equally waterproof.

This seems to be common advice. Go for certain features that suit you best.

Is it common to mix different brands of jackets and pants. Should they all fit zip wise? To save on a few shillings a normal Gore Tex pants could match well with a decent high spec jacket.

This seems to be common advice. Go for certain features that suit you best.

Is it common to mix different brands of jackets and pants. Should they all fit zip wise? To save on a few shillings a normal Gore Tex pants could match well with a decent high spec jacket.

I'd match brands or if you don't want to, make sure the zips are comparable, I'm not aware of any brands that share zips though. While it's not the end of the world if they don't, zipping together is safer and more comfortable.

When you say normal Gore Tex pants what do you mean?

I'd match brands or if you don't want to, make sure the zips are comparable, I'm not aware of any brands that share zips though. While it's not the end of the world if they don't, zipping together is safer and more comfortable.

When you say normal Gore Tex pants what do you mean?

Normal as in the have a gore tex inner membrane as apposed to Gore Tex pro which is on the outer of the garment. Well that's how I read it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Try Nikwax cleaner, and then Nikwax TX Direct. It might well restore the water repellancy to prevent the Goretex from "wetting out". Big article here on it: https://www.webbikeworld.com/nikwax-review/

Normal as in the have a gore tex inner membrane as apposed to Gore Tex pro which is on the outer of the garment. Well that's how I read it anyway.

Ah yes, maybe.

Personally, I wouldn't go with the laminate gear on the bike. But I'm a magnet for smidsys and diesel.

Just got an offer via email for anyone looking for over suits. it's in the landing page banner, I couldn't link the actual offer.

https://www.getgeared.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

Looked at one piece waterproof suit in Megabikes the other day, they didn't have my size in stock (I don't wanna be stay puft marshmallow man!), so I'll be heading back into them end of this week / start of next week to get a new one.

Did the goretex cleaning treatment lark on my gear at the weekend, haven't been caught in the rain since, but I think given the age of my gear a one piece waterproof will be the way to go either way.

Appreciate all the responses :cool:

Colm17RvB wrote: »
    Got drenched this morning on the way in, so much so that I was actually thinking about taking the car next time it's raining, such horrible thoughts. I apologised to my bike for mentally cheating on it while riding and promised I won't act on my devious thoughts.

Anyways... my gear is drip drying on a rack close to a radiator, and jumper is on said rad as it's soaked too.

I normally treat my jacket and pants with a rain sealant or wax of some sort, e.g. Oxford rain seal or Nikwax, but haven't done that since end of last summer. What do you guys recommend treatment wise?

Also, does anyone have any specific recommendations for waterproof overalls?

Well Colm17RvB, did you get a one piece, If you did I'd say you appreciated it this morning, grim out there to say the least...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

i bike all year round, Iindstrands 2 pce rain gear by far the best i have ever had.

https://halvarssonsmc.se/product/wpjacketblackyellow-mcraincoat/ jacket & pants, havent let me down yet in 12 months.

I switch to daytona goretex boots during winter for comfort and dry feet.

Advertisement