Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rule Changes for 2018

Options
  • 26-08-2017 9:24pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We won't be making any changes for 2017 but if you feel any changes would improve the leagues please post below.

Please try to justify why your change should be made and how it would improve things. Please use the "Thanks" button if you agree with the proposed change.

Feel free also to put down a counter agument if you feel the change should not be used, again hit the thanks button if you agree with the counter argument.

Any proposals with good support will be put to a vote in a separate thread before next season, but this thread is just about putting forward ideas and hearing the pros and cons.

Examples could include:

*Changes to Roster/introducing a flex position
    *Scoring e.g 6 Points for a passing Td or more points for an interception etc.
    *Moving away from NFL.com
    *Use PPR/0.5 PPR
    *Using previous seasons position to determine draft order
    *Changes to Waiver order/using a Free Agent Auction budget
    *Have waivers process earlier in the week.
    *Switch from a snake draft to an auction
    *etc.

Again this thread is just to discuss ideas, feel free to throw out anything you think will make the leagues work better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

Would like to see the draft order decided before the draft itself. Not everyone will agree on draft time or have other commitments. Priority list is fine but would be different if I knew if I had 2nd pick while setting it up or 10th as first couple of rounds are vital and tactics for picks would change while thinking who would still be on the board.

I'd also be in favour of minus points for missed PAT to spice kickers up a bit! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

L.S.F wrote: »
    Would like to see the draft order decided before the draft itself. Not everyone will agree on draft time or have other commitments. Priority list is fine but would be different if I knew if I had 2nd pick while setting it up or 10th as first couple of rounds are vital and tactics for picks would change while thinking who would still be on the board.

Thing is though to do this you would then have to decide on changing the Draft from Random to Set Order.

The only way setting the Draft order works is setting a linear draft and doing it based on final standings of last season.

Other than that Snake and Random works best for not setting a draft order manually.

I have 3 so I will give 3 separate posts:

Always stays at 16 man league and can never be changed.

Previously voted in Rule changes cannot be voted on and changed for at least 3 (Or Enter number here) full Fantasy seasons.

Always keep it a Non PPR league rare these days to have non PPR leagues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    Thing is though to do this you would then have to decide on changing the Draft from Random to Set Order.

The only way setting the Draft order works is setting a linear draft and doing it based on final standings of last season.

Other than that Snake and Random works best for not setting a draft order manually.

Having spent 30 minutes on Monday night manually inputting the Div 5 fixtures for the season I don't think the two minutes it would take to manually input a draft order is too tricky. :)

I'd always favour knowing well in advance where I'll be drafting so I can run a few mock drafts and get an idea of draft strategy based on the type of player likely to be on the board those first few rounds. too late now obviously but that would be my vote/recommendation for next year.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Having spent 30 minutes on Monday night manually inputting the Div 5 fixtures for the season I don't think the two minutes it would take to manually input a draft order is too tricky. :)

I'd always favour knowing well in advance where I'll be drafting so I can run a few mock drafts and get an idea of draft strategy based on the type of player likely to be on the board those first few rounds. too late now obviously but that would be my vote/recommendation for next year.

I never said it was tricky. My point is we would have to agree on going to a Linear Draft and then figuring out if are going to base it on previous standing from last year. You really cant have one without the other as then you are asking the GM to set it manually in a random order just so people know about it outside the 30mins NFL.com gives you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Previously voted in Rule changes cannot be voted on and changed for at least 3 (Or Enter number here) full Fantasy seasons.

I can see this making sense from the point of view of not having recurring votes every year on the same proposed changes, but a lot of this stuff can have unintended consequences that only become apparent when you play the year out. I don't see it as benficial to have to hamstring ourselves by adhering to a rule/change if everyone agrees makes the league less fun/challenging or whatever.

i.e. flex is voted in but it becomes apparent that everyone hates it, but we have to keep it because of a rule that says we have to.

I do like the idea of a free agent budget, so we have some semblance of an auction when the season gets underway, not sure if this is even possible though under NFL.com

Regarding an auction draft, again, while I like the changes it brings, i think we are better off leaving it as an offshoot/varient from the main boards leagues, which have run very succcessfully using the traditional snake draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Tight Ends added to the flex option.

• Advertisement

I can see this making sense from the point of view of not having recurring votes every year on the same proposed changes, but a lot of this stuff can have unintended consequences that only become apparent when you play the year out. I don't see it as benficial to have to hamstring ourselves by adhering to a rule/change if everyone agrees makes the league less fun/challenging or whatever.

i.e. flex is voted in but it becomes apparent that everyone hates it, but we have to keep it because of a rule that says we have to.

The thing is at some point we have to settle on a structure. To keep changing rules every year is counter productive and takes away the fun. The type of league that it is should be the type of league that it is and if people don't like it there is other options.

I am all for voting on things but if we never settle on rule changes then it becomes a mess of constantly changing the rules and league type. Most leagues have their rules and stick by them. They may vote on minor changes every other year but for the most part dont and keep it original. Plenty of options out there.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Tight Ends added to the flex option.

We dont currently have a flex option.

you are asking the GM to set it manually in a random order just so people know about it outside the 30mins NFL.com gives you

That's exactly what I'm suggesting - same as happens in almost every other fantasy football league I've ever played in. Whoever is running it does a random draw, tells everyone the order and inputs it into NFL.com. Then everyone knows where they are, what their options are likely to be and if they're not going to be around can set up a draft board accordingly.

My proposal, (which would mess up a lot of draft boards and weekly points prediction websites) is to try and find a way to make every position (read K, DEF) a little bit more equatable - not to a ridiculous degree, but enough to make them more than just an afterthought/disposible.

Every draft is pretty predictable, pretty much a K and DEF is picked in the last two rounds, and are frequently swapped in and out from week to week (or maybe just plugged in and left without a second thought given to them)

If we could increase the value of a kicker and the team DEF, we may see them go higher in a draft, see trades involving them, reward the top tiers of both the groups (at the moment there is little difference between a top K/DEF and a top 15) SAy we bump the value of an Fum/Int/Sack to 2 pts and a FG to 4 across the board, not just from 50+? (for example - I'm not proposing that particular amount)

With 16 team in each league, we frequently hear complaints about a dearth of talent on waiver wire, this would add plenty of valuable pieces to the pool, without having to decrease the league size or the squad size.

Probably too radical to have the league vote on it, but it would be interesting to run a varient league with it perhaps?

The thing is at some point we have to settle on a structure. To keep changing rules every year is counter productive and takes away the fun. The type of league that it is should be the type of league that it is and if people don't like it there is other options.

I am all for voting on things but if we never settle on rule changes then it becomes a mess of constantly changing the rules and league type. Most leagues have their rules and stick by them. They may vote on minor changes every other year but for the most part dont and keep it original. Plenty of options out there.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I have to say, it's pretty much exactly as I like it right now!

We dont currently have a flex option.

Division 7 is setup that way presently...

They shouldn't be.

Charter : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056426292

w7d92e.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Have you drafted yet?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Have you drafted yet?

We have

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gerryfed

Yeah the obvious one for me is that there should be a flex spot instead of a WR spot. But if you's have already voted on this recently, then fair enough! Agreed that you don't want to be conducting 10 polls every year for every lil thing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

We haven't made any changes in the last few years so everything is up for discussion for 2018. I think the point is if we vote on something for the 2018 season and it is accepted/rejected then we would not revisit it for at least 3 years. That is what is being proposed above.

I'll set a poll for everything we want to vote on. I think it is valid to at least have a discussion on introducing a flex or publishing a draft order prior to the draft.

Anthoer thing we don't currently have is points for an offensive player recovering a fumble and scoring a TD. At least I don't think we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

90 second draft time is way too much. surely 45 seconds or even 60 seconds is plenty.

Small thing, but the draft is looooooooooooong.

Happy to put that to the vote, though I didn't fin it too long as I'd done an auction draft that went 3+ hours last week.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Anthoer thing we don't currently have is points for an offensive player recovering a fumble and scoring a TD. At least I don't think we do.

We don't no, that's what I said to you was currently included in the Div 5 scoring until I turned it off.

90 second draft time is way too much. surely 45 seconds or even 60 seconds is plenty.

Small thing, but the draft is looooooooooooong.

People don't take that long though, 90 seconds is usually set that way just to factor in any technical glitches/disconnections etc. Most picks will be within 30 seconds no matter the limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

In Division 6 right now, Chiefs and Patriots FAs are on waivers until next week so can't be picked up for this week's game. Is that right? If so, surely we should be changing that?

In Division 7 right now, Chiefs and Patriots FAs are on waivers until next week so can't be picked up for this week's game. Is that right? If so, surely we should be changing that?

That is wrong. If the waiver period has been set to 2 days then they should be on waiver until tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

It's set to 2 days. I think what's happening is that the draft was tonight, and in 2 days time the Patriots and Chiefs will have already played, so it defaults to after the game week is opened up again for week 2.

Edit: Even if I change it to 1 day, they still wont process until the 13th :confused:

• Advertisement

It's set to 2 days. I think what's happening is that the draft was tonight, and in 2 days time the Patriots and Chiefs will have already played, so it defaults to after the game week is opened up again for week 2.

Edit: Even if I change it to 1 day, they still wont process until the 13th :confused:

Oh crap didn't realize you guys only drafted tonight. Yeah NFL.com is horrible for its waivers and how bad the settings are for it.

Advertisement