Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Appealing LC results - Q&A, Discussion (Important info in first post) **

Options
  • 24-08-2017 2:43am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So ... as it's coming up to the time for viewing scripts / deciding on appeals, we might try one of these 'megathreads' like we do with the CAO offers, and see if we can cut down on the usual 15 threads on the first page asking much the same questions! :)

Some info which might be helpful below, based on common questions in past years (this may be updated over time).

Viewing scripts / deciding whether to appeal.

By far the best way to decide whether or not it's worth appealing is to

1. View your scripts in conjunction with the marking schemes

2. Arrange for your teacher / another teacher of the subject to go through the scripts with you (preferably a teacher who is an experienced corrector at LC level). They will have a far better idea than you will whether it's worth appealing.

(Don't just assume that your teachers will be there on the day at the time you wander in, they have lives too. Contact them in advance and ask them / arrange a time which they can make. You may need to do this through the school.)

Remember:
    SEC wrote:
    Can anyone else view my script?
    Only if they are accompanying you to the viewing. As the candidate concerned ... you must be present in person at the viewing centre in order to do so. Your scripts will not be released to any other person even with your permission.
    SEC wrote:
    A candidate or any person accompanying him/her must not bring writing instruments (neither biros nor pencils), mobile phones or cameras into the viewing centre.
    You may however bring a calculator with you.

SEC Information note for candidates viewing scripts.

When deciding whether to send in the appeal, bear in mind this good advice from an experienced examiner:
    You don't get sympathy marks on an appeal. If you send back a paper for appeal the entire paper is corrected from scratch.

If something was missed the first time and is in the marking scheme and merits marks, it will be awarded marks.

If you are 1 mark off an A1 and you appeal it you will not be brought up to an A1 automatically just because you sent it back. You will not be upgraded just because you appealed, there has to be something there that merits marks that was not given marks the first time.

A common question: My paper seems to have been marked twice, once in red and once in green pen, why?

Your paper has been marked once by your Asst. Examiner (red) and also by an Advising Examiner, the next grade up (green) as part of the quality control process. Given that it has been marked twice already, unless you spot something very obvious, a successful appeal is pretty unlikely in this case.

Viewing dates / times:

Session 1. Friday, 1st September, 6.00 pm to 9.00 pm
    Session 2. Saturday, 2nd September, 9.00 am to 12.00 noon
    Session 3. Saturday, 2nd September, 2.00 pm to 5.00 pm

How to appeal / appeal fee / how to pay (click)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

''What is the appeal closing date?
    The closing date for receipt of completed appeal applications for the 2017 Leaving Certificate Examinations is 2PM on Tuesday, 5th September, 2017. The closing date for Junior Certificate appeals will be announced at a later date.''
    Does that mean, this is the closing date for the payment ?. So I can view the scrips on those dates and then decide if I want to appeal or not ? If I do want to get a subject appealed, I have by 5th Sept to pay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

Can you go in at any of the times listed? On the letter it said I would be contacted with a time to go in, but I haven't been yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 oscillation

Will the marking schemes be provided or is there somewhere we can print them off and bring them in?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They will be provided. They are usually online also from the viewing dates.
    Can you go in at any of the times listed? On the letter it said I would be contacted with a time to go in, but I haven't been yet.

When you applied to view, you checked a time you wanted. That's the time you will get, barring anything unforeseen.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

''What is the appeal closing date?
    The closing date for receipt of completed appeal applications for the 2017 Leaving Certificate Examinations is 2PM on Tuesday, 5th September, 2017. The closing date for Junior Certificate appeals will be announced at a later date.''
    Does that mean, this is the closing date for the payment ?. So I can view the scrips on those dates and then decide if I want to appeal or not ? If I do want to get a subject appealed, I have by 5th Sept to pay ?
    You need to have paid and get your payment proof back to the school by then ... "The form duly stamped by the bank should then be returned to the school so that your scripts can be associated with it and forwarded to the Commission."

Read the section before the one you quoted again, TYPO ... though I will agree that it could be a lot clearer!!
    spurious wrote: »
    They are usually online also from the viewing dates.
    And it really isn't any harm to have a look before you go in, if you have time, so that you won't be looking at them for the first time when you sit down with your scripts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

I presume the marking schemes go up on the first then?

I'm looking at every paper out of pure nosiness. I just wanna know my percentages. :p

Yeah, or maybe even the day before, I can't remember tbh.

It's no harm to have a look, you won't get another chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

When you applied to view, you checked a time you wanted. That's the time you will get, barring anything unforeseen.

Oh...I thought that section was to be filled out and sent back to me. Should I ring my school and check what time I have?

Oh...I thought that section was to be filled out and sent back to me. Should I ring my school and check what time I have?

I didn't fill out that section either. I thought that we didn't have to because you fill in your address on the opposite side.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ring the school in the morning and ask to speak to the teacher in charge of it. They will be glad of the break away from the tedium of meetings that take place the first day back.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

They will be provided. They are usually online also from the viewing dates.

You are not supposed to "check the time" on slip, that's for the supervisor to decide. Otherwise everyone would pick Fri eve 6-9 and the place would be packed. There can only be 10 viewings per session per room. In my school we run 2rooms fri one sat morn as most teachers only available Fri eve.

judeboy101 wrote: »
    You are not supposed to "check the time" on slip, that's for the supervisor to decide. Otherwise everyone would pick Fri eve 6-9 and the place would be packed. There can only be 10 viewings per session per room. In my school we run 2rooms fri one sat morn as most teachers only available Fri eve.

Sorry, my mistake.
    In our school, we used to have a rough sheet available on the results day, so people had an idea when they would be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 gerard98

So I received in my post today for the response to my application to view my Leaving certificate scripts, but unfortunately I will be unable to attend my allocated time slot. This is due to having to work at an unusual time that I normally don't work at, so I didn't expect to be unavailable to view it. Would anyone know if it's possible in any way to request a change for my allocated time slot? :confused:

I already tried to get off of work and I cant :(

Contact your school ASAP, I'd be pretty optimistic that they would be able to change you round if you explain what has happened.

Liordi wrote: »
    I presume the marking schemes go up on the first then?
    Yeah, or maybe even the day before, I can't remember tbh.

Marking schemes are available on examinations.ie now!

I looked through the marking schemes and I genuinely can't remember what answers I wrote for things anyway. Guess I'll have to wait it out.

Liordi wrote: »
    I looked through the marking schemes and I genuinely can't remember what answers I wrote for things anyway. Guess I'll have to wait it out.
    Most people won't tbh, but at least if you've had a quick look in advance you'll have a fair idea how they're laid out, and they won't be totally new to you on the day.

Scarlet when you do see some of the things you wrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DubStudent365

Can you arrive during any time in your slot or do you have to be there from the beginning?My slots for 6-9 Friday but I can't get there until 7/7:30.

That should be fine, I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

So I know the marking schemes are provided to us, but are the exam papers provided to us as well with the questions on them?

hasdanta wrote: »
    So I know the marking schemes are provided to us, but are the exam papers provided to us as well with the questions on them?

No,unless your school is super organised and kind. The dept do not supply them.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭aon1998

are we allowed to print out our own marking scheme/question papers and bring them in?

aon1998 wrote: »
    are we allowed to print out our own marking scheme/question papers and bring them in?

Yes, but no pens/pencils or smartphones. Tbh i let ppl use smartphones just put on silent/dont take pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭aon1998

Grand, Thank You!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭padraigmck

Needed to find 21 points, found enough marks for an upgrade in maths but I'm 5 marks short of the next grade in Ag Science, gutted....

For biology I got 363, and around 30 was disallowed marks in the long section, so essentially I got around 330 ish, I cannot remember the exact score, what does that mean ?
    The examiner even wrote in the pages with a pencil, every page e.g. 243,316,363. I guess she was adding up the tally.
    But in biology I only answered 4 questions in the long section, and I did not answer any extra question.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

For biology I got 363, and around 30 was disallowed marks in the long section, so essentially I got around 330 ish, I cannot remember the exact score, what does that mean ?
    The examiner even wrote in the pages with a pencil, every page e.g. 243,316,363. I guess she was adding up the tally.
    But in biology I only answered 4 questions in the long section, and I did not answer any extra question.

Did you answer an extra question in section A or B?

Did you answer an extra question in section A or B?

Yeah I answered extra question in B but, I made sure those marks were not included in the 363. My first question marks started off with like a smaller number that was not the added sum of the a and b. Is it common for examiner to bring forward marks from a section in the booklet onto the answer page.

• Advertisement

Is it common for examiner to bring forward marks from a section in the booklet onto the answer page.

I know in some subjects examiners are instructed to do that. It's a second check on the total.
    Sometimes you get people answer booklet questions on the writing pages and essay questions in the booklet. Examiners have to make sure they don't count something twice.

Advertisement