Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ENSO 2017/18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The ENSO region has cooled down again in the past week, and very significantly so. The purple colours are starting to appear again on the eastern side of the ENSO region towards the Peruvian coast. Looks like a definite Weak La Nina signature to me. Moderate La Nina? I wouldn't put my bets on it but not ruling it out either. This has been such an unusual season for ENSO because the La Nina is getting going so late in the year and what makes it even more remarkable was the fact that it looked like we were going into an El Nino back in the Spring and June.

anomnight.10.19.2017.gif

Here's last year's SST anomalies chart to compare. 2016/17 was a Weak La Nina Winter but it was among the weakest on record, that I'm pretty skeptical sometimes of how NOAA classify that as a La Nina event. You can see for yourself here that the ENSO region is much colder in 2017 than it was in 2016.

anomnight.10.20.2016.gif

If you're wondering what are the effects of La Nina on the globe? Here's the chart for the Summer months showing a typical La Nina's global weather/climate impacts but remember that no ENSO event, including El Ninos, is the same.

lanina_JJAimpacts_global_620.jpg

The top one here is the impacts of La Nina on the globe in the Winter months.

Nina_winterandsummer_620_from_climate.gov_.jpg

SST anomalies in the ENSO region have ever so slightly warmed up a bit within the past week but not a huge rise in temperatures. However, what I can notice going by the anomalies here on this chart is that the coldest of the anomalies are going more towards the central part of the ENSO region rather than just off the Peruvian coast. This would foreshadow the signs of a central based La Nina, or La Nina Modoki. There hasn't been as much research done on La Nina Modoki events as there has been done on El Nino Modoki events (such as 2009/10). El Nino Modoki is basically the same as La Nina Modoki by the way, just that the anomalies are warm than cold. This is the only source I can really find information on for La Nina Modoki: https://www.graincentral.com/weather/are-we-heading-for-a-la-nina-modoki/

The source does not show much for us here in Ireland as ENSO's influence on Ireland and Europe is very variable and has plenty of different situations, depending on the event and the strength of it. Going by a reanalysis I did previously which showcased Weak La Nina Winters that were preceded by Weak La Nina Winters, a Weak La Nina is very good for 2017/18 but my question this week is, going by the current SST anomalies, what does La Nina Modoki hold for us? Is it good for cold Winters as much as El Nino Modoki? We'll have to see.

anomnight.10.26.2017.gif

The CFSv2 continues to show a Weak La Nina event for 2017/18 but it has totally gotten rid of the chances of a Moderate La Nina taking place.

nino34Mon.gif
    The JAMSTEC meanwhile is going for a borderline ENSO neutral to Weak La Nina.

http://www.jamstec.go.jp/frcgc/research/d1/iod/2007/forecast/ssta.nino3.4.fcst.1oct2017.gif

The latest SST anomalies from NOAA prove my thoughts last week on that the La Nina was becoming more central based. Although at the same time, the La Nina has weakened. Still doesn't seem to be as weak as it was last year right now.

anomnight.11.2.2017.gif

• Advertisement

NOAA has officially said La Nina conditions for 2017/18.

EDIT: Sorry for the confusion.

In the past few weeks, there has been little to no difference in the ENSO region. The La Nina signature is still there. In fact, it's on borderline weak to moderate.

anomnight.11.16.2017.gif

La Niña has intensified in the last week in the ENSO region marked. Not to mention, the south Pacific Ocean has also continued to cool down significantly which probably added to the intensification of the La Niña. As the cold pool in the south Pacific Ocean seems so deep and widespread, there is little to no sign of it warming up any time soon meaning that La Niña could intensify or last longer into Spring 2018.

TxY4OvM.gif

The models continuing to struggle with predicting ENSO due to the turnover from El Niño to La Niña during the Summer. As a result, they have tended to play catch up.

The CFSv2 is clearly going for a Weak La Niña event although with the cold south Pacific Ocean waters, it could intensify into a moderate event, so watch this space.

nino34Mon.gif

No change in the Pacific in the past two weeks. La Nina is still firmly in charge.

anomnight.12.7.2017.gif

• Advertisement

4 weeks later, little to no change in the Pacific. We should be getting the Oct-Nov-Dec tri-monthly period anomaly within the next week or two from NOAA.

Despite the La Nina anomalies in the Pacific, the SOI is reflecting El Nino (the negative numbers in the daily column) a lot lately:

https://www.longpaddock.qld.gov.au/seasonalclimateoutlook/southernoscillationindex/30daysoivalues/

anomnight.12.28.2017.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Did some research last week and it would appear that Arctic temps were at, and indeed, still are, at record high temps for the time of year. Current anomaly for the Arctic region is standing at +3.4c. You would think that with an La Nina in place over the last couple of months, that less heat would be transferring into the region, but this appears not to be the case.

New Moon

The Oct-Nov-Dec anomaly was -0.9 which is within the Weak La Nina threshold, 3 more tri-monthly periods to go 'til we see if 2017/18 was truly a La Nina event.

Small update, the Pacific is still well and truly in a La Nina setup for its SST anomalies. I'd also like to pin point, though this is an ENSO thread, the cold SSTs around the Gulf of Mexico.

anomnight.1.22.2018.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I have read the nina forcing will stop the MJO going to phase 8- which is apparently the ideal state for a high latitude block to occur
    However, M.T Cranium's good friend Joe Bastardi has suggested it will go to phase 8 and as a consequence he envisions a cold outbreak over Europe. A lot of the teleconnection experts dismiss this and they deride Bastardi as a biased cold ramper.

Although, some of the later frames of the GFS output are starting to show the continent going cold. So perhaps Joe Bastardi might be on the right track.

I have read the nina forcing will stop the MJO going to phase 8- which is apparently the ideal state for a high latitude block to occur
    However, M.T Cranium's good friend Joe Bastardi has suggested it will go to phase 8 and as a consequence he envisions a cold outbreak over Europe. A lot of the teleconnection experts dismiss this and they deride Bastardi as a biased cold ramper.

Although, some of the later frames of the GFS output are starting to show the continent going cold. So perhaps Joe Bastardi might be on the right track.

I have no clue on the MJO but here's what I've found regarding it in the next few weeks.
    MJO is heading/with speed towards east towards WESTERN PACIFIC phase 7 with off the chart amplitude , strong active amplitude. Dynamical/statistical models strongly support continued MJO activity, with enhanced phase propagating from Maritime Continent to West Pacific.
    February.

This will for sure interfere in La Nina state bases , interfere + will have great impacts also for Northern Hemisphere continents sensible weather patterns !

mNLUatt.png

I read somewhere - I think it was from somebody like Joe Bastardi or Michael Ventrice - that La Nina has reached its peak now and it will weaken significantly through February.

SSTs across the board have been trending on the decrease.

m8RIb6A.png

The cold SSTs that was down towards Chile and Antarctica seem to have ascended further northwards in the Pacific to form quite a cold blob in the ENSO regions.

cJIsO0b.gif

Still quite a cold equatorial Pacific.

Dx6qeCq.gif

The ENSO figure for November-December-January was -1.0 which is the third tri-monthly period that the region has successfully reached the La Nina threshold. Two more tri-monthly periods at or below -0.5c and an official La Nina is designated.

• Advertisement

The CFSv2 forecasts ENSO to stay in the La Nina threshold right up until the end of the year when there's so much scatter as you'd expect given how far away it is.

EhbIcus.gif

It seems the high ridging into the eastern seaboard is evident of La Ninas for the month of February.

https://twitter.com/weatherchannel/status/963183322913476609

Little changes in the equatorial Pacific in the past few days.

W7eEH83.gif

A pool of warm water has formed to the east of the equatorial Pacific which will put a damper on the weak La Nina. The latest ENSO 3.4 anomaly is -1.1c below average which shows the Pacific is still within the La Nina signature or threshold. Increasing chances of ENSO neutral forming during Spring 2018 but still quite low at this stage, around 50-60% likely. It seems Dec-Jan-Feb's ENSO 3.4 anomaly will be within the La Nina threshold which means that we need one more tri-monthly period of equatorial Pacific SSTs to be at least -0.5c below average for a weak La Nina to be officially designated. In my opinion, this is a highly likely occurrence.

VxNcKDE.gif

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf

The most recent El Nino 3.4 weekly anomaly is -0.8 so a weak La Nina signature is still here in the equatorial Pacific.

The warm pool of SSTs that was developing to the east seems to have been significantly weakened now:

dHXSDqo.gif

Latest El Nino 3.4 anomaly is -0.7 which is within the weak La Nina threshold and I think we can say for certain now that 2017-18 was an official weak La Nina. We only have one week to go and it would take over a +2.0 anomaly to make it not a La Nina approximately, we all know that's impossible to do within over the space of a week. To think how it looked like we were going into an El Nino back in June 2017 was crazy then it completely flipped around in July. This is one of the latest developed ENSO events I've seen on record, even the incredibly weak La Nina of 2016-17 had developed in the Summer season and it ended on the last tri-monthly period (Oct-Nov-Dec) of 2016.

The latest NOAA SST chart on the 22nd March shows the ENSO region still firmly in a weak La Nina setup with the warm pool of SSTs that had been developing over to the eastern side of the equatorial Pacific in February continues to be an absence since the last update I gave here in the thread above.

xNPCUJ7.gif

However, if we look at the subsurface temperature anomalies, we can see quite an extensive and extreme warm pool developing just over to the western side of the equatorial Pacific. But if you look at the sea surface temperature anomaly chart above, that's where the coldest temperature anomalies are tending to be, they're like opposites of each other here. Usually, it takes a few weeks for the subsurface temperature anomalies to have an impact on the sea surface temperature anomalies so we should be seeing some warming of the equatorial Pacific soon.

Just remember one thng though that we're in the Spring unpredictability barrier which means it is literally impossible to say where ENSO will go in 2018-19. As we've seen from 2017, this barrier can sometimes carry on into the Summer too.

02lBr3a.png

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf

Just for what it's worth, here's what the CFSv2 is showing though it's only just predicting this given the current situation in the equatorial Pacific. If you cast your mind back to this time last year, many of its ensemble members were going towards a strong or perhaps even very strong El Nino. The model sees us gradually going towards ENSO neutral in Autumn 2018.

oJvDaRM.gif

Unexpectedly, some fresh new cool SSTs have developed to the eastern part of the equatorial Pacific here on the latest chart from NOAA. SOI is continuing to be positive (i.e. reflecting La Nina) so still no change here and we'll see the ENSO figure for Jan-Feb-Mar either tomorrow, Tuesday or Wednesday. This figure will officially designate the weak La Nina of 2017-18.

Models are showing ENSO neutral but with these new cool SST anomalies and the Spring unpredictability barrier, it's impossible to say where we will go for 2018/19.

anomnight.3.29.2018.gif

The Jan-Feb-Mar ENSO figure is now in and NOAA has officially designated the weak La Nina for 2017/18. I'd like to note the similarities to 1995/96 which also had a weak La Nina, a mild January, a cold February, a delayed Spring including a cold and wet March and the coldest May on record. Not to mention, 1995/96 was part of the Winter 2017/18 analogues! Very intriguing, I will discuss this more in the Summer thread since this is the ENSO thread.

HCkwKGA.jpg

Should I continue using this thread for ENSO 2018/19 or make a new one?

https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/status/991627329184071680

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

A new one would be better for future references. The title would be outdated.

Advertisement