Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society - Glasson 18th March 11.00

Options
  • 28-02-2017 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be out of the country for some skiing next week so I wanted to kick this thread off before I go.

Our next event sees us take a trip to the midlands to visit the Christy O'Connor Junior designed Glasson golf club on the shores of Lough Ree. Glasson has hosted European Challenge tour events in the past and it features at number 71 on the Golf Digest Top 100 courses in Ireland so it should be a venue well worth visiting.

The course measures 6,836 yards off the white tees but a more manageable 6,313 off the yellows. It's a course I've never played before so I'm looking forward to checking it out. Perhaps one of the locals like CharlieIRL may be able to provide a course guide for those of us who have yet to have the pleasure of a game here. Any thoughts on which holes we should use for nearest the pin/longest drive?

Fingers crossed we manage to avoid any storms beforehand. The Child of Prague will definitely have to be deployed this time! :D

The first tee time is at 11.00am and the last is at 11.40. Teamer invites have just been issued so let me know your availability at your convenience.

I'll update the GOTY standings in the next day or so as I've been up to my eyes for the last week.

Directions for those who may require them:
    From Dublin: Take M50 west bound, continue on N6. On the approach to Athlone town at the first roundabout follow Galway signs onto bypass. On the bypass take the first exit (Cavan/Longford) and follow the signs for Cavan / Longford. Stay on the Cavan / Longford road until Glasson Village, at the end of the village beside Glasson Village Restaurant take a left turn. We are located approx. 1 mile down this road.

From Galway: Take N6 Dublin bound, on the approach to Athlone take the bypass. On the bypass take the fourth exit (Cavan/Longford) and follow the signs for Cavan / Longford. Stay on the Cavan / Longford road until Glasson Village, at the end of the village beside Glasson Village Restaurant take a left turn. We are located approx. 1 mile down this road.

From Limerick: Take N7 towards Dublin and turn off at Nenagh going in the direction of Borrisokane, continuing to Cloghan and then onto Ferbane. On the approach to Athlone take the bypass (Galway direction at the first roundabout). On the bypass take the first exit (Cavan/Longford) and follow the signs for Cavan / Longford. Stay on the Cavan / Longford road until Glasson Village, at the end of the village beside Glasson Village Restaurant take a left turn. We are located approx. 1 mile down this road.

As it's a bit of a trek for many car pooling may be worth considering.

ballyk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Guys, for any of you interested in playing on St Patricks day and making it a 2 day trip, Glasson are running an open singles in aid of Pieta House. Book by ringing the club directly on 090-6485120. I'd recommend the Villager or Grogans in Glasson village for a steak and a few pints.

The club has opened a new driving range, practice putting green and short game area to the right of the clubhouse if you want to warm up. A second short game area and putting green has been built beside the first tee but hasn't been opened yet. Currently a range mat is in use on the first hole to accommodate the changes but that may change before you get there.

I'd recommend the third or the fifth for nearest the pin and the 16th for the longest drive.

The course has great views of Lough Ree and the last 6 holes are super holes. Won't be around that weekend but I hope you get a good day for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭ballyk

Thanks searay. The practice area sounds great.

That open singles on St. Patrick's day might be a good option for people looking to pick up extra Ryder Jug points. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to play it myself as I will have to play a round of our spring league that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

things look ok-ish at the moment for this one, I might just make it after all, but can't commit just yet.

My sister got married there a few years ago and I was raging I never got to test out the course

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Hey guys, I won't be able to make it this time, my wife is abroad that weekend, enjoy the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I spoke to soon

Looks like I'm out guys :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Looking like I'm a no-go for this next one too. Won't be back in Dublin till late in the afternoon on the 18th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Early tee time if possible please captain :)

Absolutely.

Any other requests before I draw up the timesheet?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Early for me too please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

late one if you can for me.

• Advertisement

The provisional timesheet is below for our second counting event of the year towards Ryder Jug qualification/golfer of the year. The charge for the day's golf will be €35 for members of the society, €40 for non-members. Let me know of any further requests for any early/late timeslots.

Hopefully we won't have anyone needing to drop out due to overcelebrating St. Patrick's Day the day beforehand! :D:D

I'm also hoping my skiing injury :( will have cleared sufficiently by Saturday to allow me to play.

Time: | Player 1 | Player 2 | Player 3 | Player 4
    11.00: | CharlieIRL | BigChap1759 | Alanm | The Big Easy
    11.10: | A Post Punk | paulos53 | 3putt | doublecross
    11.20: | RoadRunner | The cHamp26| benny79 | benny79's guest
    11.30: | Break80 | Tigerwood1 | Macker1| ballyk

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Room to squeeze in 2 small ones? Myself and Dylan have accepted on teamer. Apologies for leaving it so late. Any time will do, captain.

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Room to squeeze in 2 small ones? Myself and Dylan have accepted on teamer. Apologies for leaving it so late. Any time will do, captain.

Of course, glad to have you guys. I'll update the timesheet accordingly.

Updated timesheet below with one addition versus the previous version:

Time: | Player 1 | Player 2 | Player 3 | Player 4
    11.00: | CharlieIRL | BigChap1759 | Alanm |
    11.10: | A Post Punk | paulos53 | The Big Easy | Spudmonkey
    11.20: | RoadRunner | doublecross | benny79 | benny79's guest
    11.30: | ThecHamp26 | Tigerwood1 | Macker1| 3putt
    11.40: | acalmenvoy | dylanmc30 | Break80 | ballyk

The scorecard for the course can be found at: glassongolfscoresheet.jpg

Any locals willing to provide a guide to the course for those of us who haven't played it before?

Hopefully that works Ballyk

Course guide, keep it in the fairways!!! Last local who typed one up for a society event jinxed himself!!!:)

Course Map glasson_layout.png

An idea of what's ahead of us, I took these over the winter...............
    32621471073_a9615dcf28_c.jpg
    33052461490_a11d049b5b_c.jpg
    32621472393_0d94b23db0_c.jpg
    32621470603_efac436b5a_c.jpg
    32621469953_82005391a1_c.jpg
    32621469393_a673a799f3_c.jpg
    33280024762_538232ec7e_c.jpg
    33435518245_568e9c46c9_c.jpg
    33052458830_20725d0a9f_c.jpg

Greens look well - any idea what tees we'll be off?

Yellows I expect but will have confirmation either Thursday or on Saturday, weather dependent.

• Advertisement

Getting some pre game practice in Charlie! :D

benny79 wrote: »
    Getting some pre game practice in Charlie! :D

Haven't played it since the middle of winter but can't lie, I've played there a good few times over the last few years.

Fantastic course in the summer.

So we'll mark you down as favourite! No pressure ;)

benny79 wrote: »
    So we'll mark you down as favourite! No pressure ;)

Not me, I've rarely scored well there even though I know it well. ☹️

Yeah Yeah... keep playing it down :D

CharlieIRL is a hotter favourite than Douvan! :D

Thanks, ye both just probably jinxed me!!! :)

Brief course guide, its not a tough course but it certainly is not easy and will favour someone who has played it before to know where to cut corners and where to lay up. Greens are normally extremely fast in summer but were slow-ish last time I was there. Hope it stays dry.

Practice area is kind of hidden away, you can either go to the right of the hotel and down past wall and trees.

1. OOB right on the first, hill on the left so need a straight tee shot.
    2. OOB / trouble left off the second, dogleg right, 3 shot unless very accurate
    3. Tough longer than it looks par 3, can be into the wind off the lake as well
    4. Slight dogleg right Par 4, lots of trouble / trees left, well guarded green
    5. Same as third, back towards the lake, trouble / trees left and right but not really in play
    6. Par 5, long hitters can cut the corner on the left and catch the hill leaving a long iron into the green. Right or even straight off the tee and you are in trees, pond on the right as well
    7. Uphill par 4, sparse trees on the left (hope the rough is still down) and trees on the right at landing area. Plays longer than you think as well.
    8. Tough par 4 for anyone who has not played the course before, blind downhill left. Long guys can cut the corner, but not too much or rough will catch you and impossible to find the ball. First time playing - use a 5 iron or something that goes about 200 yards to land on flat part of fairway. Downhill second onto green surrounded by water, 2 clubs shorter than yardage says. My favourite hole on the course.
    9. Uphill par 4, straight up the hill, trees to left of green and both sides of fairway.
    10. Dogleg right par 5, another long one so 3 shots to green. Trees on left in play for long hitters.
    11. Tough little par 3, trees to the left and OOB. Long one as well.
    12. Dogleg left - have a look at this green as you park the car. Corner can be taken on by long hitters. Go right off the tee and you should find your ball but leaves a massive second shot to green.
    13. Plays along the driveway in so left is OOB. Not too tough if you get a good tee shot away.
    14. Mental / stupid / cool / silly hole if we are playing off the tee box up in the trees. Iron to end of fairway and 70degree right approach to green. I never know what to hit here as its either too short or too long. Par 5
    15. Savage Par 3 - long and all over water. Chickens bail out to the right of green.
    16. Tough uphill par 4, Index 1 I think. Not too much trouble just long, slight dogleg right but you can see everything.
    17. Downhill Par 5, can't remember much of this hole as i normally just play the 13 hole competitions
    18. Uphill par 4, long and tough, bunkers there to catch a good drive leaving it tough to get there in 2.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Thanks, ye both just probably jinxed me!!! :)

Brief course guide, its not a tough course but it certainly is not easy and will favour someone who has played it before to know where to cut corners and where to lay up. Greens are normally extremely fast in summer but were slow-ish last time I was there. Hope it stays dry.

Practice area is kind of hidden away, you can either go to the right of the hotel and down past wall and trees.

1. OOB right on the first, hill on the left so need a straight tee shot.
    2. OOB / trouble left off the second, dogleg right, 3 shot unless very accurate
    3. Tough longer than it looks par 3, can be into the wind off the lake as well
    4. Slight dogleg right Par 4, lots of trouble / trees left, well guarded green
    5. Same as third, back towards the lake, trouble / trees left and right but not really in play
    6. Par 5, long hitters can cut the corner on the left and catch the hill leaving a long iron into the green. Right or even straight off the tee and you are in trees, pond on the right as well
    7. Uphill par 4, sparse trees on the left (hope the rough is still down) and trees on the right at landing area. Plays longer than you think as well.
    8. Tough par 4 for anyone who has not played the course before, blind downhill left. Long guys can cut the corner, but not too much or rough will catch you and impossible to find the ball. First time playing - use a 5 iron or something that goes about 200 yards to land on flat part of fairway. Downhill second onto green surrounded by water, 2 clubs shorter than yardage says. My favourite hole on the course.
    9. Uphill par 4, straight up the hill, trees to left of green and both sides of fairway.
    10. Dogleg right par 5, another long one so 3 shots to green. Trees on left in play for long hitters.
    11. Tough little par 3, trees to the left and OOB. Long one as well.
    12. Dogleg left - have a look at this green as you park the car. Corner can be taken on by long hitters. Go right off the tee and you should find your ball but leaves a massive second shot to green.
    13. Plays along the driveway in so left is OOB. Not too tough if you get a good tee shot away.
    14. Mental / stupid / cool / silly hole if we are playing off the tee box up in the trees. Iron to end of fairway and 70degree right approach to green. I never know what to hit here as its either too short or too long. Par 5
    15. Savage Par 3 - long and all over water. Chickens bail out to the right of green.
    16. Tough uphill par 4, Index 1 I think. Not too much trouble just long, slight dogleg right but you can see everything.
    17. Downhill Par 5, can't remember much of this hole as i normally just play the 13 hole competitions
    18. Uphill par 4, long and tough, bunkers there to catch a good drive leaving it tough to get there in 2.

It's funny to read somebody else's guide to a course you know well.

A few more points might be helpful.

The fourth doglegs left up the hill, not right. A drive up to left shortens the hole.

On 8, I'd hit driver to leave a shorter iron to the green. There is a pond left of the green that cones into play if you've a long iron in.

The out of bounds Charlie mentions on 1,2, 11 and 13 are well out of the way. I don't think they neeed to be considered.

There are internal out of bounds in the dogleg left of 12 and right of 14 which can come into play if you try cut the corners.

I like 14. There is no advantage to cutting the corner as you are left with a sloping lie. A hybrid off the yellows or 3 wood off the whites straight down the middle is the shot.

Many of the holes are uphill or downhill, rarely flat and you need to factor that into club selection.

Enjoy your day.

Would you say it's a tight driving course or not really?

• Advertisement

Would you say it's a tight driving course or not really?

It's not tight. You can hit driver on all par 4 and 5s but on 14, you are better to club down.

There is an internal out of bounds on the right hand side of 14 and external on the left but it's pretty wide.

Advertisement