Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intro to Powerlifting Workshop

Options
  • 04-02-2017 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭

Ye asked, and now ye shall receive...

I'm going to run this for you guys and girls probably sometime in mid-March and it will most likely take place on a Sunday (19th or 26th). The venue is sorted (the committee at the Hercules Club in Dublin City Center have been good enough to offer their facility for the event).

We'll have basically everything we need, calibrated plates, eleiko bars, ER Racks, a monolift for anyone that has never used one before and a space upstairs to sit down as we run through the talky bit.

So first things first...

Who is this for?

New/novice lifters, Anyone who has never competed before but thinks they might want to at some stage in the future, anyone that wants to compete but is waiting until they are 'strong enough' for whatever reason etc, anyone who is new to the sport, is worried about their technical ability, basically any powerlifting wannabe or newbie :)

How much does it cost?

I'd love to do this free but as always when people see 'free' they treat it as something with no value, cancel last minute or take the p*ss altogether and just don't turn up. So I'm going to get you all financially motivated and suggest a donation of your choosing to Crumlin Childrens Hospital to attend.

Sound fair?

After all you're going to get a full days workshop and it's going to be a hell of a lot of fun.

(MODS - I assume this isn't against the charter?)

So.. if you love to lift, and don't hate sick kids then read on!

What do I need to bring?

A pen and paper, training gear, belt, wraps, whatever you train in or might need when on the platform.

What time?

Assume 11-4 (ish) might start earlier, might finish later.

What will we be covering?

I haven't worked out the exact flow of the day but assume we'll start with an intro to the actual sport, the rules, the feds, the equipment, what to expect on the day of a competition... then do some squat/bench/deadlifting (technical stuff, not testing), talk programming, accessory work and have a Q&A.

Who is this not for?

I hate having to add this part so lets keep it short: 'Coaches'/Personal trainers looking to up-skill this isn't for you - sorry. Powerlifting veterans - nope not for you guys. Anyone who's thinking 'I want to lift but I have no interest in competing' - no, sorry, not for you either. Lets keep this one about the sport and keep the spaces for those who need it the most.

So all that being said...

A) Who wants in?

B) What date works best?

Once you register interest and I set the dates for sure I'll PM you to confirm your slot (strictly first come first serve!)

* DISCLAIMER *

Spaces for this will be capped to ensure everyone gets playtime and you must be 18 or over to attend.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Fair play man,the donation is a great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

A) Am in!

B) I would say March 26th would be my ideal but good with either

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

In unless date doesnt suit but I'll donate regardless.

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I'd be interested - complete novice, and would love some pointers on correct lifting form, etc. Would travel up the country to attend.

March 19th would be my preference

(Also kudos on the donation to crumblin hospital)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭COH

Nice one guys/girls - hopefully there's a bit more interest and we get a few more signed up and we can rock on from there with dates etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Would be up for this too, preferably on the 26th

• Registered Users Posts: 22 frguru

I'd be keen! Preferably 26th.

Great idea, fair play.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Andy.Kupp87

Nice would seriously consider it. Am jsut getting back in the game after a 2 year absence god is it good to be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bell81

Hi, this is a great idea. I'd be interested in either dates. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Would this be for intermediate (less than two years) guys who might need a bit of form polishing up/tips? Who kind of but not really/entirely know wtf they are doing?

Either way, good idea and best of luck with it.

Both days would be gravy with me.

• Advertisement

Would this be for intermediate (less than two years) guys who might need a bit of form polishing up/tips? Who kind of but not really/entirely know wtf they are doing?

Sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Sounds great. I'd be on for it! The 26th would suit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

A) Me

B) Both dates work for me

Sounds great, count me in. I've entered my first ever PL comp in May, so between your workshop and Hanley's testing day, this is exactly what I need. Thanks for running this!

26th looks to be the front runner by a considerable margin here guys/girls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Dropped you a pm there COH :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

COH wrote: »
    One space available...

Forgot about this and have plans next weekend.

Best of luck with it though and appreciate the offer.

Guys/girls - My sincere apologies but a family situation has arisen and I will be out of Dublin this weekend.

I will reorganise the powerlifting workshop for another date down the line.

I have PMd everyone who was due to attend individually just leaving this here in case anyone has slipped through the cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

No worries, was feeling guilty for not visiting the mammy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

would any of the people interested in the workshop perhaps want to try training ourselves until the workshop is up and running
    I just want to keep my motivation up and training with someone could help me a lot. (i train in a work gym - pros: no one uses it / cons - its empty of likeminded people!

could try and find a dublin gym that operates PAYG and maybe meet on a sat/sun morning for a training session that compliments our own individual training.

just a thought :) otherwise looking forward to the workshop

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

That sounds good guile - I'd be interested!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I will be interested if re-running, was away the previous weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Any update on this going ahead?

Advertisement