Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your self-annoying habits

Options
  • 31-01-2017 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭

What habits do you have that not only annoy those around you, but annoy yourself?

I'm a divil for opening new bottles/cartons/boxes of stuff before I've finished the old ones. My bathroom is littered with nearly-finished bottles of shampoo & conditioner. The lure of a new copybook was impossibly hard to resist back when I was in school, and I've never quite gotten over that.

What do you do that makes you want to give yourself a stern talking to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

maudgonner wrote: »
    What habits do you have that not only annoy those around you, but annoy yourself?

I'm a divil for opening new bottles/cartons/boxes of stuff before I've finished the old ones. My bathroom is littered with nearly-finished bottles of shampoo & conditioner. The lure of a new copybook was impossibly hard to resist back when I was in school, and I've never quite gotten over that.

What do you do that makes you want to give yourself a stern talking to?

My inability to throw anything away, ever.

My bathroom is also littered with half-used bottles of stuff, that I know I will NEVER ever use (they're probably semi-solid congealed gunk by now), but will I put them in the bin? No chance.

Same with clothes that I know I'll never fit into again, and even if I did they'd be so deeply unfashionable I'd never wear them again. But they're still in my wardrobe.

And as for the tins/jars of stuff that I thought were a brilliant idea at the time and I'd surely come up with some imaginative dish to use them....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I stock up on way too much stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'm acutely aware of my 'ums' and 'aws' when I'm giving presentations, and starting sentences with 'So.....' - but people seem to think I'm a decent enough speaker so it just seems to be me who notices it!!!

Other than that......allowing to get myself distracted too easily is something that drives.........

.......look an airplane!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I love a nice relaxing smoke of crack cocaine. But it's very moreish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

I love throwing stuff out. Often i dump letters, receipts, clothes etc that i later need or could use. I get a lot of satisfaction dumping stuff strangely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Biting my finger nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

I bite my nails. Those stop biting nails stuff are no barrier to my compulsion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Sticking my tongue out when I'm trying to concentrate
    Cleaning my ears, it's a compulsion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭Positively Negative

Cleaning my ears with a hairclip. Better than sex but probably discusting to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    My inability to throw anything away, ever.

My bathroom is also littered with half-used bottles of stuff, that I know I will NEVER ever use (they're probably semi-solid congealed gunk by now), but will I put them in the bin? No chance.

Same with clothes that I know I'll never fit into again, and even if I did they'd be so deeply unfashionable I'd never wear them again. But they're still in my wardrobe.

And as for the tins/jars of stuff that I thought were a brilliant idea at the time and I'd surely come up with some imaginative dish to use them....

You need to do this challenge OP!
    Start tomorrow, 28 days :)
    http://www.theminimalists.com/game/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Cleaning my ears with a hairclip. Better than sex but probably discusting to watch

I do that with a paper clip but I open one end out. Best feeling ever...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Throwing out letters without opening/reading them. I have thrown out private pension policy documents because I'd look at the cover letter and see its from the bank and think 'ah more rubbish from the bank' and dump it only to get a phone call a few months later asking about it and remembering dumping it. The amount of important paperwork I've thrown out is ridiculous but I or no one has ever died as a result of it so its not all bad.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

When I sit down at the kitchen table at home I always say "Now". Even if it's just me. It doesn't happen at any other table.

I've no idea why, when I say it I instantly realise it and get annoyed with myself.

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    You need to do this challenge OP!
    Start tomorrow, 28 days :)
    http://www.theminimalists.com/game/

Just reading that has given me palpitations :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Hahaha - I know, I'm a hoarder like you and this was suggested by a 'friend' - I think I need to rethink our friendship now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

I have no will power with food. Serious sweet tooth and can smell chocolate from a mile away. i eat chocolate every day even if i have to beg, borrow or steal to get it.

we get free lunches at work which are usually a horrific mix of fast food and stodge. most days I'll bring in a healthy lunch and most days it will sit in its tupperware in the fridge as i stuff my face with pizza, pasta, whatever is in the office that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Sometimes I'm half watching something on tv. I'll see a bit that interests me and I'll start to get into it. Then I'm trying to catch up and ask whoever is with me to explain the parts I missed and we both end up missing more while they're explaining it so we have to rewind it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

I never buy enough wine! There could be a sale in tesco ..... 3 decent bottles for 20 say...... and ill say ach no sure I wouldnt need them. The next night I'm looking for a petrol station at 9:55 to spend 10+ quid on a bottle of piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I'd highly recommend decluttering if you feel weighed down by your stuff. I'm still in the process of getting rid of stuff but I would say I've sold, donated or trashed at least 80% of my stuff since last year. It feels great. At first its hard but eventually it'll feel really good.

My self annoying habit is ripping my nails. IDK why I do it or how it started but when I get nervous I rip my nails down as far as they'll go. Also starting a notebook, writing in it for a while, forgetting and starting a new one. So many half used notebooks :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Boards.ie, definitely Boards.ie.

Lau2976 wrote: »
    I'd highly recommend decluttering if you feel weighed down by your stuff. I'm still in the process of getting rid of stuff but I would say I've sold, donated or trashed at least 80% of my stuff since last year. It feels great. At first its hard but eventually it'll feel really good.

My self annoying habit is ripping my nails. IDK why I do it or how it started but when I get nervous I rip my nails down as far as they'll go. Also starting a notebook, writing in it for a while, forgetting and starting a new one. So many half used notebooks :(
    But but but..... as someone else also posted above, there is NOTHING in this world as satisfying as a crisp, fresh, virgin notebook :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Procrastination. Terrible, terrible, procrastination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Going for 'one' on a Friday after work, with lots of healthy productive things planned for the Saturday.

One turns into one after another and Saturday is spent wallowing in Netflix, **** food and self loathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I was getting around to saying procrastination too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭CFlat

I'm like a goldfish when it comes to having say a few chores to do. I'll do one and then I'll start thinking about another one and then off I'll go with one half finished job.

Now where did I put that oil sump spanner.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Bambi985 wrote: »
    I have no will power with food. Serious sweet tooth and can smell chocolate from a mile away. i eat chocolate every day even if i have to beg, borrow or steal to get it.

we get free lunches at work which are usually a horrific mix of fast food and stodge. most days I'll bring in a healthy lunch and most days it will sit in its tupperware in the fridge as i stuff my face with pizza, pasta, whatever is in the office that day.

This but I can add: I have a drawer full of sweets next to my bed. I tend to overstuff it and honestly, it'll last me years because another habit is opening stuff and eat it over a decade. Still a pretty stupid idea putting it next to bed in the first place. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Bite skin around my nails till it is sore and/or bleeds, have started to make "HAW" sounds when I do anything that requires an iota of physical excursion (not in like a giving out way but more so due the the apparent immense strain a thing like like sitting down, getting up, poring water into a mug causes - picked up this delight of a habit from my dad), tap fingers constantly, remove and put on slippers/socks/runners/shoes or whatever 50 times an hour while sitting down and relaxing (which annoys my wife no end), constantly kick the duvet up in the air at night (another fan favourite), check on my son around 15 times in a night (with added torch to his face to make sure he is ok and not too hot/cold etc).

I am quite a catch aren't I

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I can't see things that are directly in front of my eyes. As in, if I put a fork down on an otherwise empty table and go to pick it up again 2 minutes later, I'll be like "where's the fork?" and my missus picks it up, hands it to me and I'm sure privately worries about looking after me when I get old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I can't think of anything bad-habit-wise that I still do. I used to be thoughtless about food waste. Not overbuying or letting food go off, just not using the last inch of milk in the bottle, the last fifth of a jar of sauce, and not scraping a tin of beans out.

Advertisement