Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a Medieval Recreator

Options
  • 30-01-2017 3:24pm
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Our next AMA is with a boardsie who takes part in medieval re-enactments.

Medieval recreators research and recreate cultures that could plausibly have been seen in the courts of Europe before 1600. This covers everything from Romans to the Tudor era, all of Europe, and a good bit of Asia and Africa - but the group that this AMA is with concentrate on Medieval and Renaissance Europe.

They hold events where they dress in medieval gear, cook, eat, fight tournaments and battles, shoot, sing, dance, all in period style, and show off their craftwork and other accomplishments.

They are based in Ireland but are part of a global society that has 21 kingdoms - the Society for Creative Anachronism.

If you have any questions about what a medieval recreator is; how they do their research; how they recreate different elements of cultures; what happens at re-enactments; how they create costumes; how they learn to fight or anything else - let's hear them!

FYI: Different members of the group have different expertise so depending on the question they may take turns logging in to answer questions from the AMA account.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dartsplayer

when your doing the re-enactment. do you put your mind in the age of medieval times. as in to you pretend to be a lord of a manor and stick to that character or are you just joe bloggs working in IT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

1. When doing combat re-enactments. How many participants are there on average and has a rout ever occurred? If so, from where did the rout start?

2. When in combat gear, do you usually only wear gambeson or do you combine a gambeson layer with chain mail?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Are toilets completely out of limits at these events? This is a serious question by the way, I always wanted to know where the line was drawn!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Hey, thanks for doing this AMA.

How did you first get involved / interested in Medieval Recreation?

How frequently do re-enactments take place?

Do you do re-enactments for the public or is it more of a meetup for similarly minded people? If it's the latter, what's been your most memorable interaction with the public?

🤪

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

In re-creating Medieval cuisine, would you use basically the same means and methods that were available at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

A more fundamental question, I guess, is what's the difference between a 'recreator' and a 're-enactor'?
    We're all more familiar with the latter term, but I suspect that there's a reason that the less frequent one was used in the title.

Was there a notation system for music back then so that we know the tunes are the same? Or is the medieval music we hear today simply a composition of whatever noises sound 'nice' to us from the instruments we know existed?

• Company Representative Posts: 28 Verified rep I'm a medieval recreator, AMA

Aodh posting:
    when your doing the re-enactment. do you put your mind in the age of medieval times. as in to you pretend to be a lord of a manor and stick to that character or are you just joe bloggs working in IT

That varies from person to person. Our basic rule is that what you're wearing and using should look medieval from about 10 feet away - that sets the bottom bar, as it were. At the other end of the scale, there are people who are fully in character for the entirety of an event - some of which are ten days long, camping and cooking in medieval style - as Norman lords, mendicant monks, or Baghdadi sages (these being three people I know who go for that style).

That said, getting your mind into a fully medieval mindset isn't an easy thing - there are so many things that we take as being ordinary that were alien to them that it takes a fair bit of work to do so.

Aodh posting:
    1. When doing combat re-enactments. How many participants are there on average and has a rout ever occurred? If so, from where did the rout start?

It varies massively. Our tournaments are one-on-one, I've seen up to 40 people on a field for a skirmish, and there are events in the larger kingdoms within the group where you could see up to 3000 people in a battle. When I've answered a few more questions here, and the newbie effect on the account has worn off, I'll post a link to a video or two that will show you potential scale of events.

As to routs, not often to my knowledge. There's a culture of courtesy and chivalry within the group, so there's often some movement of people from one side to another to ensure that a given battle is more even. And because we're fighting for fun (albeit full-contact in heavy armour fun), most people will fight to the 'death' rather than run away, unless there's some considerable tactical advantage to running.
    2. When in combat gear, do you usually only wear gambeson or do you combine a gambeson layer with chain mail?

We have some very firm rules about minimum armour which, again, I can link to once the newbie effect wears off, but we require the hands, elbows, knees, kidneys, neck, head and some vertebrae to be covered in 16-gauge steel or equivalent (and more, on the head), with a certain measure of padding. Some people wear only the minimum, others go for something approaching full gothic plate. Gambesons are pretty common, chain mail less so - this is an artifact of our using blunt 'tournament' weapons rather than sharp blades.

Aodh posting:
    razorblunt wrote: »
    Are toilets completely out of limits at these events? This is a serious question by the way, I always wanted to know where the line was drawn!

It's a completely legitimate question!

We are re-creating the Middle Ages without the unpleasant bits, like dysentry, plague, early mortality, and so on. So we use the modern toilet facilities on site. I'm sure there are some of the hardcore realism folks among us who would relish digging latrines and so on, but most of the sites we use would object to that, I reckon, and it would be just as healthy as it was in the medieval period - that is, not very.

That said, I've done a week-long event where all the 'showering' was done with water heated over a fire, and done pretty well with that.

Aodh posting:

I'm going to re-order your questions for my own coherency here, apologies!
    Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Do you do re-enactments for the public or is it more of a meetup for similarly minded people? If it's the latter, what's been your most memorable interaction with the public?

It's mostly a meet-up for similarly minded people. We do occasional demos, which we treat more as recruitment opportunities than drama, and there are some events where, as trade-off for having access to a castle overnight, the public get to come in and look at us during the day.

My most memorable interactions with the public go to either extreme. At one end, you've the chap who came along, spent a few hours looking at stuff and talking to us, and said, "I'll be back tomorrow!", and when he came back, was in full medieval kit, and had brought his medieval instruments to play while wandering around the camp and castle.

At the other end, you've the family where Elder Son, about 8 said, "Is that a real fire?", and Father, in his 30s, said "No, I'll show you," and went to put his hand in it. I shouted at him and nearly whacked him on the wrist with the poker I had in hand, because it was very definitely a real fire on which I was cooking.

And a friend of mine has been asked, of her infant son, "Is that a real baby?".
    How frequently do re-enactments take place?

Within Ireland, there are about ten events a year. Within the British Isles and Iceland (the Principality of Insulae Draconis), there's one every two weeks or so, on the average. Within the Kingdom of Drachenwald (Europe, Middle East, and South Africa), there's at least one every weekend, and sometimes more.

In addition, there are local practices. Within Dun in Mara (the branch covering the east coast of Ireland, essentially), we have weekly fencing, archery, and armoured combat practices, and arts & sciences (crafts, research, and so on) meets about every two weeks.
    How did you first get involved / interested in Medieval Recreation?

I've been interested ever since I discovered the concept, which was via a computer games magazine (I think it was Your Sinclair) in the early 90s, but I didn't make actual contact with the SCA until, on the way to a Medieval Baebes concert in Slane in about 2004, where I and a few friends were in medieval costume (terrible, terrible medieval costume), a guy came up to us and introduced himself. And it went from there.

• Advertisement

Aodh posting:
    Manach wrote: »
    In re-creating Medieval cuisine, would you use basically the same means and methods that were available at the time.

This is my very favourite area. I'm one of our more enthusiastic cooks and food researchers, so I will happily talk your ear off on this topic.

The short answer is: as much as possible, and as much as our knowledge allows us to do so.

There are some periods and places (Tudor England, 1600s Italy), where we have lots of recipes, lots of writing, even illustrations to work from, and we can (when we can afford it), get pretty close to an accurate recreation of the period methods. Or, strictly speaking, we think we're getting close - we have to bear in mind that we can't really check.

On the other end of the scale, there are periods and places (pre-Norman Ireland, anywhere in Scandinavia) where there are no writings, no recipes, no illustrations, and we have to work out from archaeological, archaezoological and archaeobotanical remnants what was going on in their cuisine.

In some cases, though, we end up bowing to practical limitations or being unable to afford the good stuff. If I have 60 people to serve lunch to (as I'll have for an archery event in April), then I'm going to for producing stuff that comes from a period recipe, but is cooked on a modern gas stove in modern saucepans - and that's ok.

A couple of years ago, I cooked for ten days for 20 people over a fire with two big cast iron pots and a griddle, with everything being either from period recipes (some from 10th century Baghdad) or with plausible period approaches (pottages and strews, griddled flatbreads). That was excellent. Hard work, but excellent.

When I'm at camping events, I drive for as much authenticity as I can. That means fresh or traditionally preserved ingredients, using my own knives, cooking over fires in cast iron or clay vessels, or roasting on spits, using either proper recipes or period ingredients. I haven't yet managed to get my hands on riveted iron pots (more common in the medieval era than cast iron) or soapstone pots (widely used in period, now quite expensive and hideously expensive to ship). In the riveted iron end of things, I want to get my hands on a big cauldron at some stage too - I want to be able to serve 50 or 60 people a pottage at a camp some day.

On the assumption that you don't want to read a whole thesis, I'll stop there, but do feel free to ask more questions about food!

Aodh posting:
    A more fundamental question, I guess, is what's the difference between a 'recreator' and a 're-enactor'?
    We're all more familiar with the latter term, but I suspect that there's a reason that the less frequent one was used in the title.

There's no hard border between the two, so this is my personal breakdown of the terms. Re-enactors are usually portraying a particular era, often a particular year, sometimes a particular day, in one culture. They go to enormous lengths to make sure their kit is authentic and that everything looks as it would have then. They put on shows for the public.

Recreators, like our group, are looking at a much wider period. I usually play as a Hiberno-Viking, Aodh Ó Siadhail, but I sometimes go instead for the persona of Jack Galliard, a Tudor merchant. I cook stuff from Tudor England, but I also cook stuff from 10th century Baghdad, because there's a really excellent cookbook ('al-Warraq') from that era, which has complete recipes and discussion [1]. Our fencing come from the 16th century, our armoured combat is completely re-invented, but sorta-kinda matches 15th century tournaments. On the other hand, re-enactors tend to put on the show and then go home (not true of all of them, I know), and we try to live our experiences.

So I've had evenings where, after a day's archery, with my right hand torn up a bit by arrows going over it, I've been sitting by a fire in Viking kit, talking to someone in 14th century French dress and a German Landsknecht (if you don't know them, do an image search - they're spectacular) about recipes, chivalry, and the architecture of the castle we're looking across the moat at. And drinking ale. From a horn. Because Viking.

And then there's our organisation into Principalities, Baronies, Kingdoms, and so on, the tournaments to decide who the next monarch will be, our courts, and other stuff that is completely made up so we have a structure within which to play - that's completely alien to the re-enactment experience, but it's a hell of a lot of fun.

And one other salient detail: we don't restrict what people can do by gender. If you're a big hairy bloke, and you want to do embroidery, more power to you, and you're a wee slip of a lady, and you want to get into armour and hit people, we will enable that too. It's not historically accurate, but it allows more people to have the experiences they're looking for, and it's fun.
    Was there a notation system for music back then so that we know the tunes are the same? Or is the medieval music we hear today simply a composition of whatever noises sound 'nice' to us from the instruments we know existed?

Music isn't my area of expertise, so I'll see if I can get someone more knowledgeable within the group to answer that. I know that there is some period notation, and that there's been considerable work done on extrapolating from that, in much the same way as linguists reconstruct extinct languages.

[1] The translation I use is by Nawal Nasrallah, it's called Annals of the Caliphs Kitchens, and it is absolutely awesome.

Now that I've knocked the new-car smell off this account, some housekeeping:

I'm going to give the account details to some other members of the group, so you'll get some more answers. They may answer some things I've already looked at, in other directions, and I'll try to get everyone to identify who they are when they're posting, as I've done.

Here's a video that shows the breadth of what we do. It was shot in the Kingdom of Caid and the Kingdom of the West, I believe, which are California in the mundane world - which is why there's so much sun in the video! https://vimeo.com/196029359

And here, for JasonS246, are our armoured combat rules: http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/docs/marshal_handbook.pdf

Thora posting.

Music isn't my area either, but I've picked up a bit.

Pitch was indicated on a stave, similar to now, with square notes, but there was no note length or bars.

Here's a 14th century piece of music:
    c1328-07.jpg
    Yates Thompson 25 f. 1
    http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/illuminatedmanuscripts/ILLUMIN.ASP?Size=mid&IllID=1783

We cover a huge period of time, so there were changes and variations. As far as I know, the precursor to this kind of notation was marks over lyrics to let you know the pitch went up or down.

And towards the end of our period, note lengths were indicated. Here's a 16th century example:
    512px-Barbireau_illum.jpg
    Barbireau illum [Public domain]

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

And then there's our organisation into Principalities, Baronies, Kingdoms, and so on, the tournaments to decide who the next monarch will be, our courts, and other stuff that is completely made up so we have a structure within which to play - that's completely alien to the re-enactment experience, but it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Do you write stories of what will happen during a recreation before it happens; is their a story line, a general direction or do you all just hang out in costume, eating and drinking and fighting with the items of the era? Just wondering if there is an element of an RPG to it especially with regard to who is the monarch etc. which you mentioned above :)

Do you hire an area of land to do these recreations or just go camping or something else? I think I saw a mention of being in a castle above?

Are there any festivals or events that the general public can experience these things at? I know there are some Viking festivals and some smaller events in the likes of Collins Barracks where people will demonstrate tool-making or weaving or something, is that something you also take part in?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Is everyone always a knight or noble? Do any people go for peasants in what the average man would have worn to battle?

Aodh posting:
    miamee wrote: »
    Do you write stories of what will happen during a recreation before it happens; is their a story line, a general direction or do you all just hang out in costume, eating and drinking and fighting with the items of the era? Just wondering if there is an element of an RPG to it especially with regard to who is the monarch etc. which you mentioned above :)

There's no preset story, and to some degree, we're just hanging out. In some ways there's no story at all, but in the process of holding tournaments, battles, competitions, and ceremonies, stories do appear. The King who Declared War on Himself, for instance, is a thing that happened 40-ish years ago, but still gets talked about today.

But there are also structures of things that happen every so often. Every six months, for example, there's a tournament fought to see who the next rulers of the Kingdom of Drachenwald will be. To enter, you need to be an authorised armoured fighter, have attended a certain number of other events in the past year, and have someone who'll rule with you if you win - a consort who inspires you. The consort can be anyone who'll agree to it - very often people fight for their real life partners, but it's not a rule by any stretch. And then when a given couple wins, there's the Coronation ceremony three months later, and they reign for 6 months. Three months into that reign, there's another tourney to decide the next couple, and so on. At courts, awards are given out by the royalty (membership of orders, including some fairly exclusive awards for the really high achievers, among them) and people are recognised for things they've done. And it builds into a long-term lived experience, more than a story per se.
    Do you hire an area of land to do these recreations or just go camping or something else? I think I saw a mention of being in a castle above?

Most of the events in Ireland take place in places like scout camps - dormitory accommodation, decent sized kitchens, and big halls. Some of the events in the UK take place in castles alright; it's both cheaper and easier to sort out there than here. And some are full-blown camping events, taking place in large campgrounds in Sweden, Finland, and Germany. Ffair Rhaglen, which takes place every August in Raglan in Wales combines several aspects; we camp in the grounds of Raglan Castle for 10 days, and have the place to ourselves overnight. A very few of the more scholarly events just take place in hotels, and can be hard to tell from conferences - the scribal and heraldic end of things, for example.
    Are there any festivals or events that the general public can experience these things at? I know there are some Viking festivals and some smaller events in the likes of Collins Barracks where people will demonstrate tool-making or weaving or something, is that something you also take part in?

We don't often do those, although there are a few occasions in any given year where some of us will put in an appearance at a fair or show of some kind. By and large, though, we're doing it for our own entertainment, as an immersive experience, and explaining stuff over and over to the public is... not immersive. For people that want to have a look, the best thing to do is come to an event. We'll lend clothing, feast gear, and other necessities, and let you have a go at most things. And since everything is run by volunteers, and we hit economies of scale very quickly, we can do a weekend event with full board and food for something in the region of €50 a head, all in, so it's not hideously expensive.

Aodh posting:
    ScumLord wrote: »
    Is everyone always a knight or noble? Do any people go for peasants in what the average man would have worn to battle?

In broad theory, everyone is at least a minor noble. There are a few reasons for this - firstly, the historical record is very poor on what peasant life was like, and secondly, it would be very odd to have peasants hanging out with royalty.

But it's inevitably more complex than that. Some people take on the personae of peasants, or at least commoners, and put considerable work into it. It would be very unlikely, for instance, that a noble or chieftain of 11th century Viking Dublin would be cooking for 20 people over a campfire the way I've done. And one of our highest awards is for really good craftwork (and teaching, and number of other qualifying characteristics), which carries the title of Master or Mistress, which in reality would have been a very low-ranking title. And our Knights are a parallel to those craftspeople in the fighting arts, and again are some of the most-looked-up to people in the Society, despite 'knight' having been the lowest of the nobility in most of Europe.

We don't pretend that our ranks and awards mirror anything real; they're very much the 'game' side of the recreation. But they're given for real skills in armoured fighting (Knights), fencing (Masters of Defense), crafts (Laurels) and organising and running things (Pelicans).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

how do you plan who dies and when during the enactments

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Aodh posting:
    how do you plan who dies and when during the enactments

We don't. Our wars and battles are understood to be tournament entertainment - as indeed are our tournaments themselves. So if you 'get killed' in a tournament, you're just out of that tournament - and in many battles there are 'resurrection' rules like in paintball, so that you can get back in and fight some more. We're not operating to pre-arranged scripts, and indeed, there's a lot of personal honour bound up in acknowledging when you've been hit with a killing blow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

This is a whole new thing for me, I only saw it on the boards home page and clicked through. Glad I did, it looks fascinating.

Can you tell me though, what is it precisely that you do, and more importantly; why?

Are you doing this to recreate the style of life that was in the past? Is it the historical side of it that is the most interesting aspect? Or is this just your form of escapism?

In short; from reading so far, I get a good sense of 'what' you do, I'm just less sure on the 'why'?

And for the obligatory less serious question - what did think of Timeline (either the book or the movie)?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

It sounds like a lot of fun. How would a newbie get involved? Where would be the first port of call?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Back for more:

Favourite medieval dish?

What are the worst injuries ye have seen (I imagine there's a few bumps and bruises after a meetup)?

You mentioned that people often fight for their partners - have partnerships been forged through recreations? And any medieval themed weddings? :D

🤪

Aodh posting:
    ezra_ wrote: »
    Can you tell me though, what is it precisely that you do, and more importantly; why?

Are you doing this to recreate the style of life that was in the past? Is it the historical side of it that is the most interesting aspect? Or is this just your form of escapism?

In short; from reading so far, I get a good sense of 'what' you do, I'm just less sure on the 'why'?

It varies from person to person. I can tell you what I get out of it, and maybe some of the other folks will chime in.

When I started out, it was a way to do armoured combat. 'Fighting' with swords and shields was something I'd done with my brothers since I was tiny, albeit the swords were sticks, the shields were saucepan lids, and the rest of the saucepan was as much armour as we had. And we weren't allowed hit each other properly. So finding a bunch of people who did that for fun was awesome. I also liked the medieval era (and fantasy, and RPGs), and the game aspect of it appealed to me as well. The fact that there's a king, and knights, and the knights have squires, and so on is sort of viscerally pleasing.

Since then, I've become much more interested in the historical side of it. "Experimental archaeology" is a growing field, and in some ways, that's what we do. Food history is my particular bag, and there's enormous interest in actually cooking what's in the historical record, where there's a record, and in getting together enough evidence to extrapolate where there isn't. Other people put serious research effort into dance, or armour, or tent-making, or brewing, or translation of medieval combat manuals, or whatever.

Most of the above is after-the-fact rationalisation, though. The most fundamental thing is that through the SCA, I have found hundreds of people who, to a close approximation, think like I do and like the things I do, and it's an incredible amount of fun. It's something like summer camp for grown-ups, ten or twelve times a year. It involves learning new stuff, developing new skills (and getting some recognition for it, which always helps), and meeting excellent new people as well as meeting again the excellent people I already met. See also the video I posted back up the thread, which showcases the awesomeness.

TL;DR: Like any hobby, I suppose: it's fun, I like the people.
    ezra_ wrote: »
    And for the obligatory less serious question - what did think of Timeline (either the book or the movie)?

I tried to watch it, I really did. But between the historical inaccuracies and the terrible plot and the weak characters, I didn't finish it. Although, to be fair, A Knight's Tale, which has a poor plot, only a few strong characters, and historical inaccuracy so thick you could walk on it, is the favourite film of many SCA folks, so... mileage may vary.

Aodh posting:
    quickbeam wrote: »
    It sounds like a lot of fun. How would a newbie get involved? Where would be the first port of call?

If you want to meet a few people and try a few things in a non-immersive setup, you could come along to one of the weekly practices, which are promoted on our twitter account, @duninmara, and on our FB page, https://www.facebook.com/duninmara/. If you're not in or near Dublin, let me know and I'll point you at the local groups in your area, or at least someone who lives near you.

What I'd really recommend, though, is coming to an event as early as possible. The practices are fun, but they're not what we do; it's like helping make the float but not going to the parade. You don't need to do anything but book in advance and show up - we'll lend you clothing, cutlery and stuff to eat from, and any other necessities to try stuff out. You'd ideally want to go to an event that has a bit of everything, unless you already know what you're interested in. If you're into food, there's an event coming up in mid-March that will be all about food and maybe have some music, medieval games, and the like (but have almost no fighting or archery). If you'd like to see the armoured combat in full action, the Coronet Tournament is this month (although I think it might be booked out). If you want to see all the ceremony and pageantry, the Royal Coronation is in Ireland this year, for the first time in a very long time (the last one was in Finland, the one before in Germany, and so on). If any of that interests you, drop me a line at dmseneschal@gmail.com and we'll see about getting you to an event. At the absolute worst, it's a cheap weekend's food, board, and entertainment. :)

Aodh posting:
    Favourite medieval dish?

This is not at all easy to answer. Let me give you a few of the ones I've cooked, since they're in different areas. And then a comment or two on other people's cooking.

First, there's a standard West European carb dish called frumenty. It's bascially cracked wheat (bulghur wheat) cooked in stock, with an egg or two mixed through at the end. It's traditionally served with roast venison, but it goes well with any red meat, stew, or the like. It's the medieval equivalent of egg fried rice, and I love it.

Second, there's a dish of leeks cooked with almond cream. I hadn't cooked much with leeks before this, and was surprised by how good it was when I tried it. When I served it at a feast, however, I had someone come up to me while it was still being served and say "I don't normally like leeks. But if you give me the rest of the pot, nobody needs to get hurt." We didn't give her the pot until everyone else had been served, but she then finished what was left, under the jealous gaze of several people who hadn't been as quick off the mark, and I've made it many times since.

Finally, from al-Warraq, there's a stew called mulahwaja, which uses lamb, onions, leeks, and spices. You put some honey on top when you serve it, and eat with flatbread of some kind, and it is awesome. I've received royal praise for this one.

In terms of other people's cookery, there've been some superb stews and pottages, and there's a cold chicken dish, also from al-Warraq, which is glorious, but my mind usually goes back to the pies. An apple pie sweetened with caramelised onion was one such, and there was a game pie a few years ago which I would cheerfully have eaten day and night. I did manage to wrangle an extra slice of it, but that was all. Oh, and one lady did a lamb bresaola - cured lamb leg - last year, and it was utterly fantastic. Which reminds me of one the Dukes, who made a glorious soft cheese... you get the idea.
    What are the worst injuries ye have seen (I imagine there's a few bumps and bruises after a meetup)?

We've had very few major injuries from actual fighting, oddly enough. There've been three fractures and breaks that I know of from tripping over stuff, but the most I've seen anyone get in a fight is a bad bruise. Someone gave themselves a nasty cut with an axe last year while trying to chop kindling. And if you whack your arm with a bow-string while engaging in archery, you can get something spectacular, as one lady demonstrated at Raglan a few years back - the kind of bruise that goes from wrist to bicep, and makes tattooists cry, because they couldn't ever produce those colours.

Other than that, I had an impressive bruise myself at once stage from being hit in the armpit - which you can't armour, really - which went from hip to elbow and went through some alarming shades of purple. And one lady, competing in a Coronet tournment, had a particular gap in her defence, which was shown by her being hit there about nine times in a row - her left thigh, under the shield. I've seen pictures, and you could see the shape of the armour plate there drawn out on her skin in perfect detail.
    You mentioned that people often fight for their partners - have partnerships been forged through recreations? And any medieval themed weddings? :D

I know of... man, I've lost count, at least a dozen couples who've met through the SCA (and there are probably hundreds, worldwide), and a number of medieval-themed weddings. A few people have had weddings at events, too. Given the romance of torchlit tournaments, royal feasts, the making of knights, and how damn good most people look in medieval clothing, it'd be astonishing if there weren't a good few relationships arising.

Aodh posting:

It varies from person to person. I can tell you what I get out of it, and maybe some of the other folks will chime in.

Most of the above is after-the-fact rationalisation, though. The most fundamental thing is that through the SCA, I have found hundreds of people who, to a close approximation, think like I do and like the things I do, and it's an incredible amount of fun. It's something like summer camp for grown-ups, ten or twelve times a year. It involves learning new stuff, developing new skills (and getting some recognition for it, which always helps), and meeting excellent new people as well as meeting again the excellent people I already met. See also the video I posted back up the thread, which showcases the awesomeness.

TL;DR: Like any hobby, I suppose: it's fun, I like the people.

Aodhan posting:
    Like Aodh, I think it comes down to "these are my tribe". For me, initially it was that I got to do Archery, which was always something I liked the look of but never had the opportunity.
    Started, loved it, 5ish years later still do.
    Honestly, if you'd asked me 5 years ago if I'd be happy to spend weekends wandering around in medieval gear, I'd have looked at you like you were crackers!
    The people I've met are some of my best friends, and they're the kind of folks you can spend an entire weekend being super comfortable with.
    Apart from anything else, my post apocalyptic skill set is definitely coming along nicely, with the archery and more recently learning how to use a sword properly (Fencing)
    Btw, the Fencing we do is waaaay more entertaining than that wussy Olympic style stuff! Have a poke at YouTube for SCA longsword, that'll make a gender of your choice of ya!

Aodh posting:
    I know of... man, I've lost count, at least a dozen couples who've met through the SCA (and there are probably hundreds, worldwide), and a number of medieval-themed weddings. A few people have had weddings at events, too. Given the romance of torchlit tournaments, royal feasts, the making of knights, and how damn good most people look in medieval clothing, it'd be astonishing if there weren't a good few relationships arising.

Aodhan posting:
    Concur with Aodh, when you get into a group of people with such similar interests, romance does bloom fairly often!
    While I was already with my lady before we started SCA, I did propose to her at the top of a castle tower on the last day of an event 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

We are re-creating the Middle Ages without the unpleasant bits, like dysentry, plague, early mortality, and so on. So we use the modern toilet facilities on site. I'm sure there are some of the hardcore realism folks among us who would relish digging latrines and so on, but most of the sites we use would object to that, I reckon, and it would be just as healthy as it was in the medieval period - that is, not very.

We run a five-day public event here in France every year (music and dance, no sword fights!) 5000-ish visitors per day, with not a flush- or chemical toilet on site! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

What was your favourite recreation so far that you have taken part in?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement