Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goals for 2017.

Options
  • 19-12-2016 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

With 2016 coming to a close, and most of use hopefully achieving are goals stated in the previous thread. We might as well go again.

1) Get an internship in software development. I'd rather spend 6 months doing this, than 6 months in college.
    2) Plan a holiday to the states. I went to France last summer with my friends and it was so fun, I would love to go to NYC and Chicago.
    3) Keep my grades up in college. I have being a achieving a 2:1 for first, second and this half if third year, I don't want that to slip, and I'd love to get a first.
    4)loose 2stone. I loat 4.5 stone in the previous 2 years, but I put a stone in the last 6 months. I want to loose the stone I put back on, and an additional stone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

1. Finish phase 1 of the refurbishment of our house.
    2. Take the family on a sun holiday
    3. Succeed in a particular project in work.
    4. Avoid going into debt.
    5. Start a pension

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kkontour

Just one for me, with 3 young kids ( range 3 to 9)

1. Make time for JUST me and the wife once a month ( cinema, dinner, local, whatever.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

1. lose weight no more halfassing it just have to put my mind to it and get it done. ive been lazy for too long.

2. Stop being so hard on myself. im my own worst critic and need to lighten up on myself.

3. Curtail my drinking. I just need to be smarter when i drink and stop being an idiot. I never do anything bad to anyone or anything but im putting myself in states and have to realise when to slow down. im only good at the start of the night and drink slowly but once i get tipsy i think its a race.

4. Pass my driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

1 Loose weight, i'm not obese by any means but i'v put on a bit in the last year and could do with loosing some.

2 Get my driving licence or at least provisional and some lessons

3 Get a wider social circle post College, most of my friends have moved away or live elsewhere in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

1: Finish my Masters with at least a 2:1, preferably a 1:1

2: Assuming I don't get a PhD course this year, secure employment and gain experience.

3: Sort out my love life.

4: Clear off my credit card.

5: Get myself back into good shape with better diet and regular exercise.

6: Read more than I currently do.

7: Run a 5k, and a 10k if I enjoy it.

8: Publish my undergrad thesis.

9: Enjoy my free time more. Less internet, more books, video games, drumming, training.

10: Ideally, get back to MMA, drama or another hobby regularly.

11: Do my motorbike test and get my full licence.

I'd like to think I can get all of these done, so that's the plan. Keep moving upward, not downward, forward, not backward, and always twirling, twirling around...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sumpector

1. Get a new job.

2. Pass the driving test finally and get a car.

3. Move out of the family home and up to Dublin.

4. Lose three or four stone.

5. Start saving for a mortgage.

6. Be far more sociable. It's too easy to get stuck in a rut and just head home after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

- Lose more weight/get fitter in general. I've lost about ten kgs this year and joined a gym a while back so I'm on the right track, I just want to make sure I keep it up.
    - Hopefully get into a job that's related to my masters.
    - Do more writing, something I need to get into the swing of again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

A short list again:
    • Move to Dublin... Will this be the year?
    • Sort out my unfinished projects (far too much with far too little time)
    • A better quality of life (sleep issues etc)
    • Back into fitness

Hopefully achievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Things like "lose weight" or "read more" are unlikely to be achieved without clear set out goals. Better to say "lose 6kg" or "read one book a month" etc. Just my advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Try to ease up on drinking at the weekend more or less. Started to make a bit of headway already as I've stopped drinking on Sundays.

I'm sitting here on Christmas day nibbling on chocolate and drinking coffee so I don't think I'll find it hard. Just have to convince myself that I can have a life without alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Finish first year of colleg, pass exams/any repeats.
    Lose a bit of weight/tone up by dieting and taking up a sport.
    Get out there a bit more, make the effort to start and maintain conversations. Generally get out of my shell.
    Learn programming, I've started with some basics but I want to get more into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Get my financial world back in order, Save harder.

Lose 5kg.

Keep doing the spiritual & mediation work on myself as its doing wonders for my self-esteem & inner strength.

Live a happy positive life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Going to keep it simple

Work on health and fitness
    10,000 steps a day.
    Get out on the bike once a week 10 to 20km
    Drink more water 2 litres a day.
    Improve the diet more fruit.
    Alcohol one night only of the weekend.
    Lose 1 stone each quarter.
    Do some weight training once or twice a week.

Work on finances
    Clear remaining loan by the end if the year
    Make a will
    Set up a real savings fund

Work on relationships (last but not least)
    Make more time for fun stuff with wife and daughter.
    Catch up with friends at least once a month
    Work on my quick temper.
    Try and help out others

Work on work stuff
    Schedule some certifications
    Look for more experience by taking on different projects.
    Take my annual leave in regular breaks to keep sane.

Work on other things
    Do up a few rooms in the house
    Learn a language
    Get a new hobby maybe golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Graduate from college, in 3rd year now but thinking about continuing on to do 4th.

Clear most if not all of my debts

Loose some weight

Improve my self confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EireLemon

1) Study more for my Leaving Cert this year

2) Eat less chocolate & sugary things

3) Go to bed earlier and get 8 hours minimum each night

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

1. want to get another promotion at work,
    2. Beat 23 minutes for a 5K (that might be a stretch tbh but no point in having easy goals.
    3. Improve my times over 5 mile, 10K, 10 mile and half marathon,
    4. be happy for the moment rather than look to the future or regret the past.
    5. Build a home gym,
    6. Get the hundred small jobs done in the house that need to be sorted.
    7. Spend as much time as possible with my little boy and girl. You miss so much when you're busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

1) Run 417km (I ran 416 last year before injury ruined it)
    2) Read 10 books (I read 9 last year - pathetic, but I keep falling asleep!)
    3) Be a great dad to my newborn daughter
    4) Keep a balance of over X amount in my account just to see if I can
    5) Get a new car
    6) Don't get fired from my new job
    7) Succeed in my new job

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Utah wrote: »
    1) Run 417km (I ran 416 last year before injury ruined it)
    Have you heard of parkrun? Great for running if there is one close to you. Get a running buggy and it can be Daddy baby time in the park :)
    www.parkrun.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Have you heard of parkrun? Great for running if there is one close to you. Get a running buggy and it can be Daddy baby time in the park :)
    www.parkrun.ie

Yeah, have done a good few. Recently moved so need to get involved with the local one!! Might leave the buggy and have some just daddy time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

1) Tone up (Body fat % in the 12%-15%)
    2) have 3k in savings
    3) have a more positive outlook on myself and enjoy the "now" more
    4) try go on dates(Shy person so this would be a big thing for me to overcome,I know lame!)
    5) learn how to handstand and do muscle ups
    6) read at least 10 books this year
    70 Pass my FAE's first time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

1 - Do better at understanding my son is only 5...
    2 - Get back on the bike...5-6 times a week
    3 - Loose 40lbs
    4 - New Job

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

1) Get a new job that I actually enjoy, current one I've no love for anymore. In Ireland, let the U.K. sink themselves!
    2) Work less!
    3) Progress my French learning
    4) Do the dating thing(2016 count = 0) (Similar craic as jus_tin4! I'm awfully stand offish until I'm comfortable with someone too.)
    5) Get my motorbike licence, been faffing about with it for over a year.
    6) Get back to playing sports, mainly for the social aspect but sure a few All Irelands wouldn't hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

1-57) Get through next semester and get my bachelors.
    58 a) Decide if I'm doing fourth year for my Honours degree or not.
    OR
    58 b) Get a job I'm capable of doing if I decide against/don't have the grades for fourth year.
    59) Losing a bit of weight and/or getting laid would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

1. Figure how the hell to be a father, wife is due in August with our first, fingers crossed

2. Try and be more social. A lot of my core friends have moved to other places and even though we still meet up some local friends would be good. Join at least one club/society and go to at least one gathering every 2 weeks.

3. Start using my bike more. Until the evenings get longer go out at least once at the weekends and then with longer evening go out at least 2-3 times a week.

4. Start and take up a weights program again. I want to drop my percentage of body fat and feel fitter and more energetic. About 5 years ago I was great at it and look and felt much better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

1. Turns out work hasn't been going as well as I thought despite no comment from my line manager during our regular meetings so my main priority is to try and stay employed.

2. Going to try and do all the cool stuff in London. I'm paying a premium for it so might as well.

3. Try and sort some sort of social, and ideally dating life out.

4. Try and get a few hikes and days out in.

5. Build a PC for gaming with some help from the lads in the PC Building forum. Need to sort number 1 before that.

6. See if I can't squeeze in at least one foreign trip. Ideally Georgia in October.

7. Try to start saving for a gaff and build a good credit history.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

1.Pass the theory test and get my motorbike licence.Ive been driving 20+ years,never had an accident,zero penalty points and do you think I can pass the theory test???

2.Draw more..sounds stupid but I had a chance at my one and only career that I would really absolutely kill for (tattooing in a shop) but my self confidence at drawing put me off following through with it.I can tattoo a pre made design but custom stuff is my weakness.
    So this year I'm taking art classes.

3.Sort out a pension.Im 40..time to start thinking long term!!

4.A cliche..stop living to work and start working to live.A job is a job,not your life.Ok bills have to be paid but life flys by so quickly that you don't have time to live it if all you do is work yourself to the bone.Trying to make yourself look great by working those extra hours gets you nowhere..you're still expendable and only a number at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

1) Mrs RM is due our first in mid April so I want to be as involved in everything as much as is possible, from shytty nappies to night feeds as well as the fun stuff.

2) Pass two more exams on the path to achieving MDI designation. I passed one and failed one last year (the passing grade is 55%, I got 50% in the one i failed :mad: )

3) Get into and stick to a proper exercise routine. I'm very stop start when it comes to exercise and healthy living. I tend to do it in extremes ie I go hell for leather for a month or two, do SFA for a month or two, rinse and repeat.

4) Get to Old Trafford for a competitive match at least once before the end of the year.

5) Save more and stop buying stuff I don't need. I'm a sucker for collectors editions of horror stuff. In the last 12 months I've probably spent a grand or more on horror related items. Its stupid considering we simply don't have the space in our current home, particularly with a nipper in the post.

6) Work on my interpersonal skills. I'm fine in work situations but in the real world in social situations I really struggle with conversation when I'm not drinking. Really need to try and improve on that.

7) Do something good for the community. I currently volunteer with friends of the elderly and visit a lady once a week, I'd love to do something with kids / young adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Larry SR

I expect this list to grow as the year goes on but to start with:
    - Become a home owner. I'm the age now where I need to have my own place and stop paying rent.
    - Be 'successful' at work. In a new management position the last few months, it's been a big step up so need to focus and ensure I am able for the job. Long term it is very important for my career.
    - Get into a relationship or at least something more meaningful that the casual 'FWB' situations I am involved in now.
    - Eat better. Really like exercising so thankfully it doesn't impact me too much weight wise but my diet really needs to improve. More home cooking and less take away food.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

1. Hoping to build up a deposit over this year and into the next for a house.
    2. Get more of my research done and published.
    3. Drink less. Way, way less
    4. Break 200kg deadlift, 130kg bench and a 170kg squat
    5. Find my abs... :(
    6. Learn to be content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭laurie88

These are all great goals that everyone is setting for themselves,
    Now that you have said it
    Visualise it happening,
    Need a push in the right direction? Find someone who inspires you or do something for someone that has less than you
    By giving, you will set your goals and priorities alight!

Advertisement