Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conservation Ranger

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭virino

Could you explain that, please Uriel?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

virino wrote: »
    Could you explain that, please Uriel?

They are departmental appointments of full time permanent civil servants. All such appointments must stem from the public appointments service in the same way admin jobs etc are done.

Competitions such as this come with a significant resource burden for the hiring department and the PAS in terms of planning and executing the competition. In other words it is highly unlikely that a competition would be sanctioned if there wasn't a need and an intention to draw from it.

Departments can't hire staff under such circumstances by themselves, they must go through PAS. Ranger jobs are there, but the amount etc. Is anyone's guess and depends on vacancies and more importantly salaries budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ilovethistles

Uriel. wrote: »
    They are departmental appointments of full time permanent civil servants. All such appointments must stem from the public appointments service in the same way admin jobs etc are done.

Competitions such as this come with a significant resource burden for the hiring department and the PAS in terms of planning and executing the competition. In other words it is highly unlikely that a competition would be sanctioned if there wasn't a need and an intention to draw from it.

Departments can't hire staff under such circumstances by themselves, they must go through PAS. Ranger jobs are there, but the amount etc. Is anyone's guess and depends on vacancies and more importantly salaries budgets.

Yes, but do you think it's possible that certain people are earmarked for the position prior to the recruitment process? Therefore, no one else really stands a chance, regardless of skills, experience etc. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Yes, but do you think it's possible that certain people are earmarked for the position prior to the recruitment process? Therefore, no one else really stands a chance, regardless of skills, experience etc. ?

No .

Everyone goes through the same process and unless you can talk numerous people to give a candidate a free ride through several stages of the process it would be hard done.

By the nature of these tests there will always be people who feel hard done by but it's fairly transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ilovethistles

That's what I thought... It just shows the level of competition out there at the moment...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

yabadabado wrote: »
    By the nature of these tests there will always be people who feel hard done by but it's fairly transparent.

There were no tests for this one though, just the application forms. So, going on what people here are saying about their own qualifications/experience, the people who did get through must be over qualified for these entry level positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Tbh I was surprised at the amount of interest. They pay was fairly crap. I'd say alot of the applicants were currently serving clerical officers looking to escape from the daily drudgery of the office.

It is fairly clear that the environment and our natural heritage come pretty low in government priorities. It is hard to see people with higher qualifications than those posting here being content with fairly menial positions for such little money, and if there are other less visible criteria involved than knowledge, experience and a love of our wildlife, for instance, some kind of sinecurial positions for those with friends, well,
    our heritage may go to hell, it seems. Also, curt generic email refusals after the time and thought people obviously put into their applications, are just not good enough by a long way.
    I trust we will be hearing through an FOI eventually how many are being taken on and whether their English is good enough to deal with issues which may arise in the field.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

virino wrote: »
    It is fairly clear that the environment and our natural heritage come pretty low in government priorities. It is hard to see people with higher qualifications than those posting here being content with fairly menial positions for such little money, and if there are other less visible criteria involved than knowledge, experience and a love of our wildlife, for instance, some kind of sinecurial positions for those with friends, well,
    our heritage may go to hell, it seems. Also, curt generic email refusals after the time and thought people obviously put into their applications, are just not good enough by a long way.
    I trust we will be hearing through an FOI eventually how many are being taken on and whether their English is good enough to deal with issues which may arise in the field.

I know people with PhDs who applied for the job! So there goes that theory...

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Joe222

I know people with PhDs who applied for the job! So there goes that theory...

A huge amount of people out there are overlyqualified. We simply don't need all the graduates, masters and phd qualifications. Many people are realising this and are desperate to get some sort of secure employment.

Given that only 6 people could be taken on those 6 could not only be very qualified with relevant degrees but also have a huge interest and voluntary experience in various nature roles.

I read an article from the year 2000 on the internet about people who became conservation rangers. One had a Geography degree, another came from forestry management and the 3rd was a former primary school principal. The latter must have taken a near 50% paycut to take on the role. So clearly some people are not bothered about the poor pay and working rota as they feel they are doing something they love plus they may also have less living costs compared to the normal person.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Joe222 wrote: »
    A huge amount of people out there are overlyqualified. We simply don't need all the graduates, masters and phd qualifications. Many people are realising this and are desperate to get some sort of secure employment.

Not sure exactly what you mean by that? I'd argue that we need plenty of people with qualifications and experience, given the poor state of the Irish environment and wildlife populations. Also just because certain qualifications aren't listed in a job advertisement doesn't mean they wouldn't be very beneficial to have.

Edit: That being said, a person with a degree and experience will more often than not beat someone with a masters and no experience etc etc - academic qualifications are of limited use without experience in the field to compliment them (unless you're going for a strictly academic job).

But as most above who applied seem to have more than adequate experience, OpenYourEyes.....
    Where did you hear there were six jobs only, joe222?

Advertisement