Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K and HDR compatible TV thread

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Motionplus is the devil anyway, unless you like all your films and tv shows looking like a daytime soap opera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

CatInABox wrote: »
    Here's a review of the XE8004.

Here's a review of the MU7000.

The only difference between the XE8004 and XE8005 is the MotionPlus is 100Hz and 200Hz respectively.

Cheers, had came across that sites reviews but wasn't sure what the difference between the 8004 and 8005 was. Judging by the reviews on there the Samsung seems to get a better score on HDR movies and for gaming so I'm edging towards the Samsung.

Only other advantage with the Sony is it can be got locally for €850 (same as Samsung price online)

Don't remember picking a new TV ever being so difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Mine is a KD-43XD8099

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

So, PRC Direct came through, and delivered my B7 a little earlier than they said they would. Got it all set up, so I thought I'd give my thoughts, seeing as it's one of the TVs that's been recommended more than most.

Going from a 40 inch to a 55 inch, it seems massive in comparison, but that might be just because it doesn't really fit in the corner that the old TV sat in. That'll get sorted once I move back to Ireland and into a bigger house.

The design of it is great, as I went from a TV with a 2 inch bezel, to this one that doesn't really have any at all. I was also worried about the weight, as I've only got a cheap Argos glass TV stand until I move, but it turns out that the B7 is lighter than my old one.

As for picture quality, it's truly brilliant, with a couple of caveats. The normal picture settings are amazing, the colours are so vivid, it's literally like having a window in your living room. Caveat number one is that turning Game Mode on turns off some of the picture processing, and suddenly it's pretty fecking dark! Had to spend a a good few hours messing with the settings, turning it back into a picture that was bright enough. Then I had to do the same once I started up a HDR game, as SDR and HDR are separate settings. The HDR mode was easier to get right, actually, there's actually less settings to mess with.

Once set up, both SDR and HDR look incredible. However, caveat number two, it's definitely a TV that will show up the quality of the video file being played. Game Mode disables most of the processing that improves low quality content, so if the quality bothers you, you might have to get used to switching between video modes. It's actually very easy with the remote, so it's not that big of a hardship. I've already decided to not bother, as that difference isn't dramatic.

All in all, an excellent TV, I'm delighted with it, and would recommend it to anyone. Keep an eye on the sales over Christmas or New Years.

EDIT: Also, a note on the speaker, I had read that they weren't very good, but they're about the same as my last TV, so I'm happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

hi looking for a budget 4k tv for my xbox one x and ps4 pro.... what would ytou suggest? i currently have a 28 inch samsung monitor 4k capable but no hdr...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

hi looking for a budget 4k tv for my xbox one x and ps4 pro.... what would ytou suggest? i currently have a 28 inch samsung monitor 4k capable but no hdr...

how big are you thinking of going / budget?

how big are you thinking of going / budget?

40 inch and I’m unsure how much I’m willing to spend as little as I can I suppose whilst ensuring a good quality product

Actually if there was a 32 inch option would suit better than the 40 inch

Samsung 40MU6400 would be a good one I reckon, few of the lads have them and they seem happy enough, low input lag for gaming. can be got in argos.

Samsung 40MU6400 would be a good one I reckon, few of the lads have them and they seem happy enough, low input lag for gaming. can be got in argos.

Thanks stone

Any idea if there’s a smaller option

Very limited where I have it so basically sitting at the desk it will be sitting on

Thanks stone

Any idea if there’s a smaller option

Very limited where I have it so basically sitting at the desk it will be sitting on

not sure, try googling the same code but change the '40' to 32?

TBH though, most 4k tvs seem to tend towards the larger size. 40'' sitting at a desk would do my head in, you'd be turning your neck to look at the corners.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, I think most of the TVs start at 40, and under that, you'd be looking at a monitor.

In that case, you'd be losing the HDR (it's pretty rare, there's just not all that many out there yet), but you do have a chance of getting Freesync (so long as you get a monitor that supports Freesync over HDMI, which is also pretty rare)

An LG OLED panel for under £1000. Mental.

No Game Mode though. Also, wouldn't be sure on what year the panel is.

electriQ 55" 4K Ultra HD OLED Smart TV with Google Android and HDR - LG Panel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

An LG OLED panel for under £1000. Mental.

No Game Mode though. Also, wouldn't be sure on what year the panel is.

electriQ 55" 4K Ultra HD OLED Smart TV with Google Android and HDR - LG Panel

There's a discussion about that very model going over on AVforums. There is little to no information out there about this model. As you say, nobody knows what year the panel was manufactured - issue being that a significant amount of 2016 panels can have issues, 2015 panels should be completely avoided. Anyway, there's a lot more to 4k TVs than just the panel e.g. processor is hugely significant, so I wouldn't expect much from this telly. Also, there's a suspicion that it might be the tablet version of Android on it so none of the streaming apps will do 4k.

Pass

Yeah, I think most of the TVs start at 40, and under that, you'd be looking at a monitor.

In that case, you'd be losing the HDR (it's pretty rare, there's just not all that many out there yet), but you do have a chance of getting Freesync (so long as you get a monitor that supports Freesync over HDMI, which is also pretty rare)

would you bother updating my monitor then? its a samsung ue590 28 inch 4k monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

Picked up a Sony xe90 in 55 inches last week. Havent been able to mess around with the settings yet but well impressed with it. Went in to buy the 49 inch but the 55 was only 80 euro more.

eamo22 wrote: »
    Picked up a Sony xe90 in 55 inches last week. Havent been able to mess around with the settings yet but well impressed with it. Went in to buy the 49 inch but the 55 was only 80 euro more.

Haha, you really couldn't say no at that price!

Haha, you really couldn't say no at that price!

Exactly what I taught. Looks a bit big for the room replacing an older 50 inch bravia but I'll get use to it.

Exactly what I taught. Looks a bit big for the room replacing an older 50 inch bravia but I'll get use to it.

I replaced a 50 with a 55 as well, but if anything the 55 looks slightly smaller, due to the fact that the bezel around the screen is so small, the 50" had nearly 100mm all round extra!

I replaced a 50 with a 55 as well, but if anything the 55 looks slightly smaller, due to the fact that the bezel around the screen is so small, the 50" had nearly 100mm all round extra!

I think it was only noticeable for me because I have it wall mounted on swivel mount. I needed to mess around abit with the mount spacings to get it to fit in the space. But it does look alot better than my older one on the mount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Today my TV arrived, a Sony XE8004. Watched some football all good. Then I put on a game but, it does 1440p, but not at 60hz, 30 is the max. I did try to look up resolution information online before buying. It seems very difficult to get resolution and input lag info on TVs.

Does the Panasonic EX700B do 1440p at 60Hz?
    Again I can't find this info through google

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

I have a Bravia 4K tv and you have to enable the HDMI port to receive a 4K signal. Did you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

eyerer wrote: »
    Today my TV arrived, a Sony XE8004. Watched some football all good. Then I put on a game but, it does 1440p, but not at 60hz, 30 is the max. I did try to look up resolution information online before buying. It seems very difficult to get resolution and input lag info on TVs.

Sony XE8004.
    Looks like a 4K 60hz display to me.

Sony XE8004.

Could be a low speed HDMI cable, try getting one that's rated for high speed HDMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Sony XE8004.

It does 4K 60Hz but at 1440p it is 30Hz max

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It does 4K 60Hz but at 1440p it is 30Hz max

Why do you want to play at 1440p?

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking ?

Redmond electric in Gorey

Apparently the Samsung 2018 QLEDs will have VRR tech built in. It's a year sooner that I thought would happen, and it's not full HDMI 2.1, but it's probably the most important part of it for gamers.

HDTVTest do excellent tv news/reviews, if you're interested in TVs then the videos are worth a watch, even if his speaking habits can be a little annoying at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Apparently the Samsung 2018 QLEDs will have VRR tech built in. It's a year sooner that I thought would happen, and it's not full HDMI 2.1, but it's probably the most important part of it for gamers.

HDTVTest do excellent tv news/reviews, if you're interested in TVs then the videos are worth a watch, even if his speaking habits can be a little annoying at times.

Surprised to see any TVs have VRR this year. Was going to settle with a set that had low input lag and FALD, but won't have to thanks to Samsung. Will be interesting to see what Xbox games support this feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

All nice and lovely, but whats the price? Its no good if Samsung will just charge a kidney, 2k eu and 3l of your newborn babies blood.

Advertisement