Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Van insurance cancelled - non disclosure

Options
  • 16-06-2016 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Please Help!!1

I have just had my van insurance cancelled for non disclosure. I could not find anyone to cover a musician when searching for insurance.

I was using a van once a week as a musician while covered as a tiler.

I cannot get insurance anywhere. I have requested three letters of refusal and now Insurance Ireland will have to force someone to insure me.... more than likely my last insurer AXA.
    I rang FBD,AVIVA, LIBERTY, QUOTE DEVIL, NON STANDARD and many more.

Is there anyone who will cover me?

Can I get insurance on a car?

Can I get insurance as a named driver on a van?

Can I get insurance from a company outside the country?

I cannot find any info anywhere to help!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,199 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your problem is that because your current policy has been cancelled due to non disclosure you are most likely black listed by most insurance companies as I think they have some sort of sharing of information like this between them.

Not sure what else you can do other than one of them being forced to offer you cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Never heard of that happening before, was this triggered by an incident / claim? How did it come to their attention? Sorry to hear about your troubles, hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

What did you not disclose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He said he uses the van because he's a plasterer rather than for being a musician and carting relevant equipment around.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Vicxas wrote: »
    What did you not disclose?

Did you not read the OP?
    Clearly he didn't disclose the work use of the van
    I could not find anyone to cover a musician when searching for insurance.....I was using a van once a week as a musician while covered as a tiler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Cabaal wrote: »
    Did you not read the OP?
    Clearly he didn't disclose the work use of the van

Sorry i was just confused, i thought the musician part was for pleasure and not actually his job, my bad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Lots of musicians drive vans carrying their equipment. Obtaining cover should have been possible.

I'd say you've a serious issue now though OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

Never heard of musicians being refused cover????

Must be something new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

bladespin wrote: »

Must be something new.

Its not, I've been in insurance for almost 7 years and its an issue from any company I've dealt with.

The reason is two fold.

1) if they are carrying instruments, amps etc around it is a higher theft risk.

2) a lot of the time gigs will be at night, in pubs, potential for drink driving or falling asleep at the wheel is higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,982 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What if 5 days a week your a plasterer and 1 day a week a musician, what occupation do you tell them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,352 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

What if 5 days a week your a plasterer and 1 day a week a musician, what occupation do you tell them?

Both.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

How did they find out OP about the discrepancy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

bear1 wrote: »
    How did they find out OP about the discrepancy?

Insurers have teams allocated to weeding out the liars. Loads of methods (which I'm not giving here). Good fun actually, did it myself for a year.

People who commit insurance fraud are costing, on average, €50 per policy so nobody should have sympathy for them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Insurers have teams allocated to weeding out the liars. Loads of methods (which I'm not giving here). Good fun actually, did it myself for a year.

People who commit insurance fraud are costing, on average, €50 per policy so nobody should have sympathy for them

But the op never said there was a claim or incident. Strange that this would happen without warning surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

So your telling us his Insurance company had a crack team of fraud officers sat outside this chaps house to catch this diabolical musician and put a end to his gigging regin of terror?

Also what's the fraud?

Using the van for other than work? If so by your reasoning so would be driving it to the shop to get some milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

So your telling us his Insurance company had a crack team of fraud officers sat outside this chaps house to catch this diabolical musician and put a end to his gigging regin of terror?

I'd say they have a team that created a profile with a hot chick for the profile picture, slapped the email address into facebook and added him, browsed through the pictures for 3 minutes until they saw his van being used for carting around musical stuff, did a bit more research into his posts that showed him as a musician only and then wrote a report and moved onto the next person in their list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I'd say they have a team that created a profile with a hot chick for the profile picture, slapped the email address into facebook and added him, browsed through the pictures for 3 minutes until they saw his van being used for carting around musical stuff, did a bit more research into his posts that showed him as a musician only and then wrote a report and moved onto the next person in their list.

Yeah then crossed checked with the Welfare to make sure he wasn't claiming, then ran his info through Interpol and the FBI data bases to make sure he wasn't a international terrorist.

It can be as simple as a 'tiler' providing a contact e-mail address as bookmyband@gmail.com. Yep, some are as thick as that

The OP misrepresented his circumstance to obtain a policy the insurer had decided not to accept, there is the fraud

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Cancelling an insurance policy solely on an email address tells me the person who made that choice is even thicker.
    Its circumstantial, surely they would request he prove he has one job only rather than jumping to conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yeah then crossed checked with the Welfare to make sure he wasn't claiming, then ran his info through Interpol and the FBI data bases to make sure he wasn't a international terrorist.

you really underestimate how much info people put on the internet that can be gotten in udner 10 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭Corvo

you really underestimate how much info people put on the internet that can be gotten in udner 10 minutes.

Yep. Recent fraud case probably took someone five minutes to find (they were mutual friends on Facebook). Can't remember the name of the people now, but it was in the national news.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Maybe they thought you were a fiddler...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Corvo wrote: »
    Yep. Recent fraud case probably took someone five minutes to find (they were mutual friends on Facebook). Can't remember the name of the people now, but it was in the national news.

If its the one I am thinking of that was a husband and wife (or maybe just boyfriend and girlfriend now that I think of it) that staged a crash into each other at a junction, rang the cops, filed claims with insurance companies pretending to be perfect strangers.

It was uncovered when one of their Facebook profile pictures had the other person in it too. Busted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

bladespin wrote: »

Must be something new.

Its not, I've been in insurance for almost 7 years and its an issue from any company I've dealt with.

The reason is two fold.

1) if they are carrying instruments, amps etc around it is a higher theft risk.

2) a lot of the time gigs will be at night, in pubs, potential for drink driving or falling asleep at the wheel is higher.

Absolute rubbish I'd say, it's just another excuse for insurance companies to fleece customers. How many accidents have you heard about involving musicians in vans late at night? I work in the emergency service sector and in my 18yrsi can safely say I have never come across one single accident involving a van late at night and very very few accidents involving vans during daylight hours either, for that matter.

No matter what your profession, there is a level of loading by insurance companies. Remember they're in it to make as much profit as possible, they will use any excuse to get out of claims and in my mind are the biggest legalised criminal organisations ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭vandriver

Absolute rubbish I'd say, it's just another excuse for insurance companies to fleece customers. How many accidents have you heard about involving musicians in vans late at night? I work in the emergency service sector and in my 18yrsi can safely say I have never come across one single accident involving a van late at night and very very few accidents involving vans during daylight hours either, for that matter.

No matter what your profession, there is a level of loading by insurance companies. Remember they're in it to make as much profit as possible, they will use any excuse to get out of claims and in my mind are the biggest legalised criminal organisations ever.
    This tragedy was only 4 months ago

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/14/five-british-men-die-in-car-crash-in-stockholm-sweden

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It's a bit annoying, here is someone getting tossed for a minor case of misinformation, hardly the fraud case of the century.
    And yet Mary with her "genuinely" sore neck will have €15k stuffed in her pocket after a 5km/h car park shunt before you can say "out of court settlement". And there won't be an investigation of her claim or a fraud team after her. And probably will be getting a discount next year because she's driving 1000 km a year in her dent strewn 1 liter yaris sh*tbox leaving a stream of misery in her wake.

It's a bit annoying, here is someone getting tossed for a minor case of misinformation, hardly the fraud case of the century.
    And yet Mary with her "genuinely" sore neck will have €15k stuffed in her pocket after a 5km/h car park shunt before you can say "out of court settlement". And there won't be an investigation of her claim or a fraud team after her. And probably will be getting a discount next year because she's driving 1000 km a year in her dent strewn 1 liter yaris sh*tbox leaving a stream of misery in her wake.

So everyone here is shouting why don't insurers crack down on fraud rather than lump the consequences on to policyholders premiums, then the same people say this is only a little bit of fraud, let it slide.

This particular insurer may have had a bad claims portfolio with musicians and have tried to clear them from their books. Is it OK then to tell all the other honest policyholders that their premiums have gone up because the internet thinks this fella is really just misunderstood?

Unfortunately, the serious mega fraudster may have their ducks in a line and proving their incident may be near possible. An insurer will tackle ANY level of fraud if they can. There has to be zero tolerance or the whole system collapses. No sympathy whatsoever for the smartarse who gets caught putting his hand in my pocket, I'll cut it off if I get the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I agree, you won't find my job description in any of the drop down menus on the insurance websites that I've tried for quotes on so I always select one that's roughly similar but not exactly what I do. No doubt if push came to shove they could turn around and do the same to me for non disclosure...

bear1 wrote: »
    Cancelling an insurance policy solely on an email address tells me the person who made that choice is even thicker.
    Its circumstantial, surely they would request he prove he has one job only rather than jumping to conclusions.

The example I gave was a trigger for a full investigation and you know that, I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

But if I drive a van as a painter and insured as sam and cut my neighbours grass for 20 euro at the weekend and drive my van there am i liable not to be covered as I havent disclosed myself as a gardener?

Advertisement