Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First automatic car

Options
  • 03-05-2016 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭

Just looking for a bit of advice here. My wife wants her next car to be an automatic and we are going to start looking shortly.
    She doesn't do big mileage (only about 5 to 8km a year) so maybe a petrol version would be better as she does alot of tipping around town. She would consider nearly any car as long she likes the look of it and likes driving it.
    Basically what would you recommend and what should she avoid like the plague. She would have up to 12k to spend on a second hand car,also max engine size of 2 litre, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

all depends what size car is she looking for ?

ford fiesta / vw polo sized
    ford focus/ vw golf sized
    ford mondeo / Mazda 6 sized
    Bmw 7 series / Mercedes S class sized

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would avoid anything with an automated manual box. a lot of small cars have these.
    Yaris hybrid is worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Avoid robotised manuals, sold as automatics, like the plague.

More modern cars have double clutch gearboxes and are the business.

Older slushboxes will cause higher engine emissions and consequently higher tax on post 08 cars, as well as higher fuel consumption.

Constant velocity boxes are good, if you can live with the driving experience. I couldn't, many can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

all depends what size car is she looking for ?

ford fiesta / vw polo sized
    ford focus/ vw golf sized
    ford mondeo / Mazda 6 sized
    Bmw 7 series / Mercedes S class sized

Honestly i went through a list of cars from carzone and she liked everything from the Yaris and Polo and the Hyundai i10 up to Merc E classes to 5 series and Passats. Cars she rejected straight away were Fords, Mazdas and Skodas, everything else she would be wiling to have a look at.
    Anything in the 8 to 12 grand range and under 2 litre in engine size, oh and she likes small jeeps as well. :)

Falcon L wrote: »
    Avoid robotised manuals, sold as automatics, like the plague.

More modern cars have double clutch gearboxes and are the business.

Older slushboxes will cause higher engine emissions and consequently higher tax on post 08 cars, as well as higher fuel consumption.

Constant velocity boxes are good, if you can live with the driving experience. I couldn't, many can.

Thanks Falcon L, what makes would you recommend, i liked the look of the Honda's- the accord, Civic hybrid, CRV, Insight and Jazz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Not sure you could go wrong with a bmw 520 petrol then. I wouldnt go for anything with too small an engine if it's an automatic.
    I have driven automatics for years, but only if the engine is big enough to make it enjoyable. Small engine autos just are not nice to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Bigus

How about an electric car , they're all automatic, Nissan Leaf etc

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Does she need alot of room? Would something small or sporty do?

Bigus wrote: »
    How about an electric car , they're all automatic, Nissan Leaf etc

No, she said she wouldn't like one, thanks anyway.

How does she feel about a hybrid then?

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Does she need alot of room? Would something small or sporty do?

Well i have an Avensis and the kids are not babies, youngest is 13 so we wouldn't be stuck if she got something on the small side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭highdef

As far as small Jeeps go, the Renegade is the only Jeep that could be considered small but it's only out a couple of years and there are very few of them in this country....never mind being automatic! Maybe some other type of SUV would be more viable if the Jeep brand name is not essential in an SUV?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭highdef

Leaf owner here and for what your wife does, a Leaf would be absolutely perfect....would cost pennies to run!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated, i think a hybrid would suit her to the ground so will make inquiries around our local area. Either that or she falls in love with a Merc or a Beemer! :) Hope she doesn't start lookiing at Audi's, something about them i don't like. :)

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated, i think a hybrid would suit her to the ground so will make inquiries around our local area. Either that or she falls in love with a Merc or a Beemer! :) Hope she doesn't start lookiing at Audi's, something about them i don't like. :)
    Ya, that'll be the nut that holds the steering wheel. :D

Falcon L wrote: »
    Ya, that'll be the nut that holds the steering wheel. :D

Ha ha, calling Audi owners a "nut" is putting it very politely:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Just looking for a bit of advice here. My wife wants her next car to be an automatic and we are going to start looking shortly.
    She doesn't do big mileage (only about 5 to 8km a year) so maybe a petrol version would be better as she does alot of tipping around town. She would consider nearly any car as long she likes the look of it and likes driving it.
    Basically what would you recommend and what should she avoid like the plague. She would have up to 12k to spend on a second hand car,also max engine size of 2 litre, thanks in advance.

For that usage a petrol, and a petrol hybrid especially, would be very good. 12k should land you a 3rd Gen Prius, a Lexus CT200h or an Auris, Civic Hybird or Insight. I would prefer the HSD from Toyota tough.

I would also consider getting a 2nd hand Leaf from UK.

What to avoid (in this price range):
    * robotized manuals - MMT, ETG, EGS
    * VW/Seat/Skoda - unless you want a 2.0TDI, you'll get a rubbish DSG7
    * Audis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Skatedude wrote: »
    Not sure you could go wrong with a bmw 520 petrol then. I wouldnt go for anything with too small an engine if it's an automatic.
    I have driven automatics for years, but only if the engine is big enough to make it enjoyable. Small engine autos just are not nice to drive.

No, seriously? 5-series for city driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

A quick look at the following thread might also be helpful:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057584561

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    For that usage a petrol, and a petrol hybrid especially, would be very good. 12k should land you a 3rd Gen Prius, a Lexus CT200h or an Auris, Civic Hybird or Insight. I would prefer the HSD from Toyota tough.

I would also consider getting a 2nd hand Leaf from UK.

What to avoid (in this price range):
    * robotized manuals - MMT, ETG, EGS
    * VW/Seat/Skoda - unless you want a 2.0TDI, you'll get a rubbish DSG7
    * Audis

Thanks very much, appreciate the advice.

Advertisement