Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Automatic - is DSG the only way to go?

Options
  • 12-04-2016 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

So I may be in the market for changing to an automatic in the near future.

I've only drove two automatics before, a Seat Leon DSG and a Ford Focus automatic. The automatic in the Leon was far superior and as such I was wondering is DSG the way to go if you want the top automatic experience or do other manufacturers have automatics that are close?

Budget would be up to €20k for something with a bit of poke for the motorway, is comfortable, has a few toys including cruise control and is diesel.

Open to any car size really as long as it fits the criteria, with a budget like this is it best to be looking at VAG cars or is there other alternatives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

I've only drove two automatics before, a Seat Leon DSG and a Ford Focus automatic. The automatic in the Leon was far superior and as such I was wondering is DSG the way to go if you want the top automatic experience or do other manufacturers have automatics that are close?

Budget would be up to €20k for something with a bit of poke for the motorway, is comfortable, has a few toys including cruise control and is diesel.

Open to any car size really as long as it fits the criteria, with a budget like this is it best to be looking at VAG cars or is there other alternatives?

I have had numerous Auto, and have in the last 3 cars made sure i bought DSG, they are superb in my opinion, always in the correct gear, they dont drop down 3 gears when you accelerate and tend to be very smooth.
    It has lead me to stay in the VAG group just to have the DSG box.

I have recently bought one of these for my wife, amazing car https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/seat-leon-fr-st-dsg-panoramic-alcantara/12018764

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I've driven a few bmws with the 8 speed autos in the last while and have to say that box is superb as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

There are numerous automatic gearboxes worth considering, in two groups:

Traditionally designed transmission with torque converter. Because those are usually bigger, they are used mainly by RWD cars, such as BMW (except for M-series, which use DCT 7DCI700), Mercedes, Lexus etc. Some FWD cars will use similar design - Peugeot, Citroen, Volvo, older Fords and Renaults etc. The great advantage of this design is that DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel - replacement of which might cost around €1000) is not needed, as the torque converter takes care of the torsional vibration.

Typically this design was less efficient, but the newest generation of those gearboxes - such as Skyactive-Drive from Mazda and EAT6 from PSA - deliver better economy than a manual gearbox. I would have no problems buying a car with one, especially if it was serviced properly.

Dual Clutch transmissions are new kids on the block - the first one was DSG released by VW and LUK around 2006.
    • DSG and S-Tronic from VAG group. I personally am not a fan of DQ200 - which is 7-speed dry clutch transmission used in majority of VAGs (petrols and diesels below 2.0l) - as the clutches burn quickly, especially with heavier cars and when used in intensive S&S traffic. In our climate all wet clutch trans seem solid.
    • Power-shift - dual clutch from Ford. Again, the wet one, aka MPS6 and 6DCT450 is solid. The dry one - used in smaller cars - DPS6 or 6DCT250 - might be prone to similar problems. If the engine generates less than 250Nm of torque, it will have the dry transmission.
    • EDC - used by Renault. Getrag claims it is 7DCT300, but promotional material from Renault says it is 6 speed. I have seen somewhere that is is the 6DCT250 and cars with EDC will have the torque reduced to 240Nm - which supports this theory. It would mean it is the same gearbox as with Ford. I haven't verified myself.
    • Fiat, Hyundai, Kia etc - everyone has something ;)

Contrary to the traditional AT, DCT - as it consists of two robotised manual gearboxes - does require DMF. Plus there are two clutches, not one ;) With the exception of DQ200 they proved to be reliable and I would not have reservations to buy one.

What you really need/want to avoid is:
    - 4 speed gearboxes - ruin performance and economy.
    - robotised manual gearboxes - used by virtually every manufacturer, typically with smaller cars with abysmal engines. ETG6 and EGS6 from PSA, MMT from Toyota are infamous examples used in bigger cars.
    - CVT transmissions - they provide excellent economy and performance, but the feeling of driving one is completely opposite. You don't feel the car is accelerating. I got used to one in the Prius, but majority of people don't like them. Majority of CVTs use belt/cone design which is not that reliable in general, but Hybrid Toyotas use completely different eCVT - which is bullet-proof.
    - multi-tronic transmission - a marketing name for a CVT transmission used by Audi.

Show the cars you'd like, we'll tell you why not ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

grogi wrote: »
    - CVT transmissions - they provide excellent economy and performance, but the feeling is completely opposite, you don't feel the car accelerating. I got used to one in the Prius, but majority of people don't like them.
    I've always been puzzled by this. To me it seems it's purely a psychological thing, in as much as years of driving cars with a limited number of gears has conditioned us to expect rising revs to correspond to rising speed, and not for the revs to remain constant, so it just feels "strange".

So much so that the latest versions of Nissan's CVT, Xtronic, in the new Qashqai has fake "gear changes" built in to it, but only AFAIK if you accelerate hard. That can't be optimal, nor can it be good for the CVT mechanism itself I'd have thought.

Anyway, I've never driven one, so I don't have any direct experience, but it seems to me that, from a theoretical standpoint at least, a gearbox with an infinite number of ratios should be the holy grail.

Alun wrote: »
    I've always been puzzled by this. /.../

Anyway, I've never driven one, so I don't have any direct experience, but it seems to me that, from a theoretical standpoint at least, a gearbox with an infinite number of ratios should be the holy grail.

It is the grail when you look objectively, when you inspect the numbers. CVT enables maximum power from the engine when it is needed and maximum efficiency when power is not requested. The torque is transmitted constantly, without pauses (you'll get pauses even with DSG) between gears etc.

But driving is not always about pure numbers, but often feelings and emotions. There are cars that aren't fast, but seem to be. And car which are, but seem very sluggish...

CVT gives similar impression - it takes away the sound of the engine spinning up, that sensation is missing.

Another common complain I hear is that CVT is laud. A discussion might look like that:
    - CVTs are lauder than regular transmission.
    - Don't request maximum power of the engine (in other words don't boot to the metal). It will be quieter.
    - But I want maximum acceleration!
    - You cannot have both. You want maximum acceleration, you need maximum power. And maximum power WILL BE LAUD. /don't even get me started on torque vs power discussion/

To sum up - CVTs are not bad, but majority will not be comfortable with them. I must say the idea implemented in Nissan gearbox sounds very nice, I must take one for a spin to check it out. It seems you'll still get the sensation of acceleration with minimal penalty in actual performance, but in casual driving still receive the benefit of improved efficiency.

Nevertheless the idea of the transmission at all will be redundant with electric cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭td2008

Interesting thread,

any thoughts on the tiptronic in the Porsche

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Show the cars you'd like, we'll tell you why not ;)

2013/2014 Seat Leon FR 150 DSG 7 is the front runner at the minute but that may simply be because I have no knowledge of other cars that offer a good automatic experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

OP I'd recommend you have a go at the alfa tct box, they're supposed to be very good, did not try it myself yet though...

2013/2014 Seat Leon FR 150 DSG 7 is the front runner at the minute but that may simply be because I have no knowledge of other cars that offer a good automatic experience.

Any Skoda/VW/Seat with 2.0TDI comes with DSG6, not DSG7. Good box. Consider also a Ford (Focus, Mondeo etc.) 2.0 TDCI with Powershift.

Giuletta with TCT - I'd love one... But it goes down to how superstitious one is when comes to Italian desing ;)

see where you're coming from with the Italian thing... however they did progress by quite some margin in that department for the past 2 gen (147, 159 etc..) and are now along the lines of VAG in terms of reliability

And come on, that Giulietta just look too good to be dismissed ;)

• Advertisement

Nuw wrote: »
    see where you're coming from with the Italian thing... however they did progress by quite some margin in that department for the past 2 gen (147, 159 etc..) and are now along the lines of VAG in terms of reliability

And come on, that Giulietta just look too good to be dismissed ;)

I am not saying that's not the case - it is a superstition. I myself have driven a Fiat for three years and done 80kkm with it - never let me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

I think Peugeot/Citroen uses an Aisin made torque converter box in recent models called EAT6.

I would go for aisin torque converter over any DCT if I aim to keep the car long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭steveshort

Our last few family cars have all been Auto's

Currently is a Passat DSG and so far I really like the DSG,it has a direct feel to it like a manual not the disconnected feel of a traditional auto with a TC.

We have had 3 MB's with the 5 speed automatic 722.6 transmission, these are robust and generally trouble free. I dont think MB use this box any more only the replacement 7 speed

I did have a Multitronic Audi a couple of years ago, I liked the direct feel from the drive but it did feel weird not experiencing the car change gear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

was just about to ask is the passat cc dsg box considered good :-)
    have not had a chance to try one yet. looking at the 170bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

To sum up - CVTs are not bad, but majority will not be comfortable with them. I must say the idea implemented in Nissan gearbox sounds very nice, I must take one for a spin to check it out. It seems you'll still get the sensation of acceleration with minimal penalty in actual performance, but in casual driving still receive the benefit of improved efficiency.
    As far as I know, Audi MultiTronics have been like this for a while too. The one I drove was anyway, some CVT behaviour noticable but not totally unlike old torque converter boxes either.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭steveshort

zweton wrote: »
    was just about to ask is the passat cc dsg box considered good :-)
    have not had a chance to try one yet. looking at the 170bhp.

Cant really say if their reliable but I haven't heard any horror stories, there is a DMF fitted with the DSG box, these seem to go at around 250000km mark on the 140bhp engine, however mine is a 170 and the flywheel was replaced before I bought the car at 150000kms.

I would check if the fluid has been changed every 60000 km/40000miles, this I hear is very important .

The drive-ability is fantastic and gear changes are instant .

Anyone know if Renault auto box is decent enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

If it's the newer dual clutch one (think it's called EDC) it's decent. Drove a Fluence with it and couldn't really fault it. Was just about the only positive bit of the car.

If it's the newer dual clutch one (think it's called EDC) it's decent. Drove a Fluence with it and couldn't really fault it. Was just about the only positive bit of the car.

Do you recall how many gears it had?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

It was a 6 speed I think. Really smooth, you'd swear it was a dsg. Not clunky like the automated manuals you get in a lot of French cars.

• Advertisement

It was a 6 speed I think. Really smooth, you'd swear it was a dsg. Not clunky like the automated manuals you get in a lot of French cars.

Yep, it must be a 6DCT250 then. Good box indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Work colleague 131 Golf auto box failed the other day, no idea what type, dealer looking for €6 k to fix. Lady driver, not massive mileage. That's me warned.

Work colleague 131 Golf auto box failed the other day, no idea what type, dealer looking for €6 k to fix. Lady driver, not massive mileage. That's me warned.

1.6 TDI, right?

1.6 TDI, right?

Smaller engined VAG cars have an inferior autobox?

OSI wrote: »
    Yes, they get the 7 speed DSG Grogi mentioned earlier.

So really its only logical to get a GTD or GTi? :D

OSI wrote: »
    Naturally :cool:

It'd be interesting to know what actually went wrong with the gearbox mentioned above.

It would indeed.

Friend of mine is in the market for a small auto petrol, considering mazda 2 and skoda fabia at the moment, but if the dsg 7 is a no-no, then it's all decided... even though the fabia has more power and would probably be easier on the motorway thanks to the turbo...

It would indeed.

Friend of mine is in the market for a small auto petrol, considering mazda 2 and skoda fabia at the moment, but if the dsg 7 is a no-no, then it's all decided... even though the fabia has more power and would probably be easier on the motorway thanks to the turbo...

Fiesta 1.0T Ecoboost?

Fiesta 1.0T Ecoboost?

There is that, but she finds it a tad cramped at the rear... plus "everybody has one" :rolleyes:

In fairness, she finds, with reason if you ask me, the interior a bit dated + it lacks gadgets.

There is that, but she finds it a tad cramped at the rear... plus "everybody has one" :rolleyes:

Peugeot 208 Allure Automatic S&S? It has the EAT6 box.

• Advertisement

Peugeot 208 Allure Automatic S&S? It has the EAT6 box.

that might just fit the bill actually, do you know how it fares reliability-wise? it being french and all..

Advertisement