Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porterhouse North

Options
  • 27-04-2016 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭

Anyone any idea whats going on with Porterhouse North. I presume its getting a full revamp / renovation. Noticed yesterday it was wrapped in scaffolding.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

from what i heard over the weekend, its done and dusted as it was known before.

opening again in a few weeks as a restaurant and no late license anymore.

by the by, the other thing i heard at the weekend was that McGowans had bought the botanic house recently, so maybe the two are interlinked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭budhabob

jossnjuice wrote: »

by the by, the other thing i heard at the weekend was that McGowans had bought the botanic house recently, so maybe the two are interlinked.
    Interesting. Can't seem to find anything online anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

jossnjuice wrote: »

that's a shame. was always busy when i was in!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I amn't able to read full article as it is pay walled, but I wonder if this is a factor...
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/Business/article1665251.ece

A HIGH Court judge has sought a “priority” hearing for a 10-year-old legal action in which publican Oliver Hughes, a co-owner of the Porterhouse chain of bars, is suing a former solicitor for alleged professional negligence relating to the development of the €7m Porterhouse North superpub.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,931 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Shame, I actually prefer it to the one in Temple Bar although I only went in there on a handful of occasions I thought it was a nice bar.

They have been doing work inside the Botanic House for some time now actually.. In it's previous incarnation it wasn't great at all. Seemed to attract to some degree a dodgy element and it wasn't unusual to see a fight or two break out towards the end of the night and the Guards called... Strange move by McGowans if true... I'm guessing they would still utilize the Botanic House late licence, would there be a demand for two super-pubs in that area such a short distance apart I wonder ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I was in there last week and it was busy.Its the one at cross guns bridge we're talking about here yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I was in there last week and it was busy.Its the one at cross guns bridge we're talking about here yeah?

Yes, passed by this morning on the bus and I was surprised to see the whole thing covered in sheeting.

January wrote: »
    Yes, passed by this morning on the bus and I was surprised to see the whole thing covered in sheeting.

That's a shame. A bit of something different in phibsborough with late hours. Im not a fan of McGowans,because its basically the northsides version of coppers,full of young cops and nurses.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

My girlfriend walked by it yesterday and said there's a sign up to the effect that it's undergoing refurbishment, but interestingly was signed "The Whitworth Bar and Restaurant". I'll be walking by it later myself and will grab a picture if I remember.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

"The Whitworth Bar and Restaurant"

Hmmm, sounds very Craft Ale and Venison sausagey to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,931 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That's a shame. A bit of something different in phibsborough with late hours. Im not a fan of McGowans,because its basically the northsides version of coppers,full of young cops and nurses.

Yes not a fan of McGowans at all really... Maybe being mid 30's I'm a bit old for it but I never really liked it 'back in the day either'... Northside coppers is exactly it and the door staff have slightly less charm.

On a side not I heard conflicting info on The Botanic House... Not McGowans who bought it but an American businessman.. ?!?

Strange to see The Porterhouse North going as another poster said they always seemed to be very busy...

Be disappointed to see it go myself, recently moved quite close to it and was great to have somewhere local I can grab a nice beer and my girlfriend can get a cocktail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭flas

Very disappointed to see this go,would have been in here very very regularly,me and the oh used to go in for food on Sundays,always busy so seems strange they would just close it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Damn. I'm very bad at growing a beard and I don't own any tight jeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

A simple name, based on the road that it's on.
    How does that make it sound crafty?

You do realise that the Porterhouse was one of the first craft beer pubs in Dublin? Long before people started hipster bashing.

Effects wrote: »
    A simple name, based on the road that it's on.
    How does that make it sound crafty?

You do realise that the Porterhouse was one of the first craft beer pubs in Dublin? Long before people started hipster bashing.

I'm wrong about everything I am so sorry ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Porterhouse North is / was leased out and not run by the Porterhouse Group.

Outside had gone very tatty looking tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'm wrong about everything I am so sorry ;(

Confucius say 'Ah so'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Porterhouse North is / was leased out and not run by the Porterhouse Group.

yep, same crowd run the two Cock & Bull pubs, in Coolock and Raheny.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

yep, same crowd run the two Cock & Bull pubs, in Coolock and Raheny.

That's right yeah. Did I hear one of them closed lately?

• Advertisement

Got my wording slightly wrong earlier

a502b46c0fdb5bbcfefafed88f2d3daf.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

That's right yeah. Did I hear one of them closed lately?

Nope, I don't frequent either, but a couple of lads I know were in both recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Will be interesting to go there when it reopens. Hopefully the food will be served on plates and not chopping boards or slates that seems to be the rage in places these days. I hate that crap.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Outside had gone very tatty looking tbf.

A fine building but, yes, got a bit tatty looking. Needs some TLC.

Will be interesting to go there when it reopens. Hopefully the food will be served on plates and not chopping boards or slates that seems to be the rage in places these days. I hate that crap.

http://wewantplates.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭LeBash

Don't know how true it is but someone said to me it would be a one of those British chain pubs. Hopefully not. I'm not a big drinker since I hit 24 or so but it was the pub I went to when I was going out.

Strumms wrote: »
    Yes not a fan of McGowans at all really... Maybe being mid 30's I'm a bit old for it but I never really liked it 'back in the day either'... Northside coppers is exactly it and the door staff have slightly less charm

Strange to see The Porterhouse North going as another poster said they always seemed to be very busy...

Apparently its being done over and will be called 'The Withworth' now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 psheaser

As long as it's not reopening as a hub for hipsters to embrace the smell of their own farts I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

As long as the food is decent and not overpriced, I couldn't give a rats ass what it's served on

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

psheaser wrote: »
    As long as it's not reopening as a hub for hipsters to embrace the smell of their own farts I'm happy.

Surely they'll all just stay down in the back page :D

Advertisement