Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd: Mega City One

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That article's from May 2017, it's the same announcement as was posted in this thread; just announces the collaboration between Rebellion and IM Global itself.

(on that, there's no news or update on whether any distributor or channel is going to pick this up, so remains to be seen how far this will develop)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭Glebee

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Skerries wrote: »

The hope this evokes in me is just what I needed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Scripts might be ready however is the money to make it ready.

To make even a 8/10 episode season they are looking at I would guess probably close to £100m these days and they also don't seem to have a distributor or platform to show it on yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Don't want to be a Debby Downer, but I really can't see this happening. The most important piece from that interview is that it STILL hasn't had a network or distributor pick this up. 2 years after the last thread update.

I'd love to be wrong cos Mega City is begging for adaptation, and maybe Netflix or someone are floating around looking for their next Witcher hit ... ... yeah. I dunno. This has been in gestation for years without so much as a hint of network interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The cost to bring the city to life alone will be high, unless we just wee the same alleys and buildings the whole time.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    The cost to bring the city to life alone will be high, unless we just wee the same alleys and buildings the whole time.

The 2012 film was fairly low budget, confined to indoors sets but the location work was in South Africa IIRC. Ironically, SciFi has never been a stronger genre on TV so no reason why a modest budget couldn't go far with some canny location scouting while CGI does the rest.

That this hasn't got a sniff of a network doesn't bode well. Maybe Rebellion didn't want to shop around til the scripts were 100% ready, and to be fair CoVid has upended everything so open doors were briefly shut

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

pixelburp wrote: »
    The 2012 film was fairly low budget, confined to indoors sets but the location work was in South Africa IIRC. Ironically, SciFi has never been a stronger genre on TV so no reason why a modest budget couldn't go far with some canny location scouting while CGI does the rest.

That this hasn't got a sniff of a network doesn't bode well. Maybe Rebellion didn't want to shop around til the scripts were 100% ready, and to be fair CoVid has upended everything so open doors were briefly shut

I think Rebellion are also kind of hoping they can drive a synergy of interest, set and prop/costume availability from the planned live action experience opening in 2021.
    https://2000ad.com/news/coming-spring-2021-judge-dredd-uprising-the-live-experience/

pixelburp wrote: »

I was thinking as well that Rebellion might be trying to shop multiple licences at the same time. Maybe Rogue Trooper as well.
    There are many services looking for deals like that, the same way Netflix got the deals with Boom! and Dark Horse. Not to mention book deals like Netflix with Narnia and Amazon with LotR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You couldnt make a TV show nowadays that would be true to Dredd, it would be dogpiled into oblivion. Only hope would be the Chief Judge Cal story line and give him orange skin, that might fly.

They might water it down and manage to put out yet another ****ty generic sci fi effort like every other ****ty generic sci fi effort thats swamping the market.

Dredd will only be a recurring character in this at most, from what I understand. Could be an anthology series set in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Dredd will only be a recurring character in this at most, from what I understand. Could be an anthology series set in the city
    Used to love Eagle Comics and 2000 AD as a kid, obs with J.D (and Strontium Dog);
    just downloaded the "complete case files of Judge Dredd".
    Page 1 - Mega City 1 in 2099. It won't come cheap.

521790.png

Makes sense to have him as a recurring character rather than the focus; as far as I remember he was a one-dimensional psychopath. But so cool! Mega City one can be the Baltimore from The Wire; the actual star of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Mega City One is really the main character in the Judge Dredd universe anyway so it would make sense.

I absolutely loved the Dredd film, however they really weren't able to truly capture the magic of Mega City 1 with the budget they had. The internal shots looked great but the outside shots fell a bit short.

The 1995 Dredd film, although missing the mark on many levels (and committing the grave sin of including Rob Schneider!) had some fantastic city shots at the start. Budget was astronomical though.

As soon as I saw a clip of Stallone without his Judge's helmet on in Judge Dredd I decided never to bother watching it, though the decision was aided by the fact that Stallone was the eponynous hero (later compounded by the terrible reviews). Loved Dredd- Urban was great in it.

When I watched the Mandalorian I always had Dredd in the back of my mind re taking the helmet off, so was disappointed when it happened there; it's pretty hard to engage with in terms of personality, so having the character a recurring one rather than a central one also increases the sense it makes in this regard.

Making him recurring increases the chances of getting Urban back.
    I think if they do a cliffhanger for season 1 it'll be the Dark Judges

The adaptation would be in a weird bind, not dissimilar to something like Gotham; in that if you don't include the city's most famous resident in a proactive role, the show might struggle to get out of Batman/Dredds shadow. Especially with pressure from executive oversight or casual fans just wanting the shopping list of fan service.

As an aside:

From Pat Mills, creator of 2000AD and developer of Judge Dredd, comes SPACEWARP, a British Science Fiction comic of great NEW hero comic strips for the Science Fiction world we live in today. Featuring Special Forces One at war with Giant Viruses! Jurassic Punks versus Dinosaurs! Xecutioners: authorized to terminate Aliens! Slayer – one Robot in a Galactic war against a million Space Knights. Hellbreaker escapes from Hell to punish the Living. Fu-tant – a terrifying school for Mutants!

https://www.spacewarpcomic.com/

(couldn't see a thread in Comics section).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭larchielads

o1s1n wrote: »
    Mega City One is really the main character in the Judge Dredd universe anyway so it would make sense.

I absolutely loved the Dredd film, however they really weren't able to truly capture the magic of Mega City 1 with the budget they had. The internal shots looked great but the outside shots fell a bit short.

The 1995 Dredd film, although missing the mark on many levels (and committing the grave sin of including ROB SCHNEIDER) had some fantastic city shots at the start. Budget was astronomical though.

Made it into demolition man too I believe, sly must have a soft spot for em

Advertisement