Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone genuinely worried to travel for fear of being caught up in a terror attack

• 14-11-2015 3:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

I plan to travel to Australia and Thailand soon and I am genuinely concerned of being caught up in a terrorist attack

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Stay at home is my advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Do you think you'll ever win the lottery?

If your answer is never, then you're safe. You have more chance of winning the lottery than a terrorist killing you.

Enjoy your holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Ridiculous. Change nothing. To do anything else is to admit defeat. Statistically the chances of something happening are so remote as to be not worth calculating I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Based on what? As already said, the statistical chances of getting caught up in a terrorist attack are minuscule.

Anyone who takes your advice seriously should take a similar attitude to getting up on a chair to change a light bulb, or even setting foot outside the house. Far more people are killed every year in domestic and road accidents than in terrorist attacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

NIMAN wrote: »
    Do you think you'll ever win the lottery?

If your answer is never, then you're safe. You have more chance of winning the lottery than a terrorist killing you.

Enjoy your holiday.

Statistically if you were in the Bataclan theatre last night, at the centre of the worst atrocity to happen France since WW2, your chance of being killed was less than 8%.

Not odds I'd like to take, but it just shows that you shouldn't live your life in fear.

You should be more worried about the drive to the airport.

Also (according to wiki) more people have died in France this month in car accidents than died last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

This is a very real concern so I won't tolerate the belittling of this genuine query.

Please read our Forum Charter which can be found here should you wish to post in here.

Any issues, then report the post(s).

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,423 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'd be worried about it but I'd still travel. Your chances of befalling something foul like that are practically zero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

I was going to get tickets for me and my gf fir a concert in Paris in January. Decided last month that i wouldn't go to Paris as I felt it was a terrorist target. Feel the same about many major European city's

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

My concerns are more regarding the flights being targeted as opposed to the destinations themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I'm a big believer that when your number is up its up. I went to NY soon after 9/11 and I'll be heading to Paris as soon as I can afford it. Fear and staying away is what the terrorist groups want. I refuse to help them achieve that warped aim. I will travel more than before not less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

While I am slightly more wary, I won't let those who carry out these type of terror acts stop me travelling as much as I can afford to. I'm due to go to Poland in January and hoping to get a few more European trips in next year. The chances are tiny and if it happens, it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

My son and his pals travelked to Sharm el Sheikh on the Sinai at the end of August into September. I admit I was a little concerned but at the same time you have to live your life.
    They had a brilliant time. They couldn't get over the high level of friendliness, hospitality and help with anthing they needed.
    I imagine the terrorist threat in Australia and Thailand is minimal compared to travelling to Egypt back then. Go and enjoy yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Absolutely not. As others have rightly pointed out, the chances of anything happening to you are absolutely miniscule.

We've our trip to Paris for the 6N booked and our travel plans haven't been affected in any way by last night's events.

People changing their plans, changing their lifestyles, living in fear is exactly what the likes of IS want to achieve. I for one won't be obliging them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Go where you want to go and heed travel advisories when applicable.
    Nutjobs are everywhere in world, a movie theatre in the USA, a youth camp in Norway.
    We know not the hour or the day but we do know that our lives have a beginning, middle and end.
    A life lived in fear is half lived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,811 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If you don't go and the terrorists are the sole reason that would put you off then they win.

I'll be going to Paris in a few weeks. Probably be booking it later in fact. Also I'm planning to move back there next having previously lived there for a time. Terrorist attacks while having a huge impact are rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I guess I would be slightly more wary but still as others said there is more danger crossing the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have a pass for the COP 21 talks (climate change negotiations) in Paris next month as an observer. Since there will be a high level of political participation yep, I'm definitely wary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I will admit that I am reluctant to visit Muslim countries despite the miniscule chances of anything bad happening. I guess I would think that as I look different I stand out and would be targeted. Western countries I would have no problem with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I'd be more nervous about the airport. I'm travelling to Amsterdam next week and Schiphol seems a high risk, in fact there was a plane grounded there today over a suspected bomb threat and part of the airport closed off.
    So yeah I am a little nervous to be going there next week.

Mr rebel wrote: »
    I'd be more nervous about the airport. I'm travelling to Amsterdam next week and Schiphol seems a high risk, in fact there was a plane grounded there today over a suspected bomb threat and part of the airport closed off.
    So yeah I am a little nervous to be going there next week.

That plane was grounded over a tweet! Schipol is one of the safest airports in the world imo. Nothing to fear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,326 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

athtrasna wrote: »
    That plane was grounded over a tweet! Schipol is one of the safest airports in the world imo. Nothing to fear

I'd be very afraid if i was on a plane that was diverted because of a threat, hoax or otherwise. Happened a friend and he said he was terrified. You are in the air and helpless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm travelling to Amsterdam Monday morning for work, and I do fly a lot. Attacks like Paris won't deter me, at least at this point.

The odds are minuscule, but even so, I have no intention of letting this kind of idiocy dictate to me. To be honest, you're helpless each and every time you fly. Once that plane is closed, the pilot and the crew are running the show. There's enough stuff that can naturally go wrong, without worrying about terrorism on top of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

That includes Dublin so??
    I was going to get tickets for me and my gf fir a concert in Paris in January. Decided last month that i wouldn't go to Paris as I felt it was a terrorist target. Feel the same about many major European city's

I'd be very afraid if i was on a plane that was diverted because of a threat, hoax or otherwise. Happened a friend and he said he was terrified. You are in the air and helpless.

I found a threat written in an airline magazine around the first anniversary of 9/11. Was quite calm about it and cabin crew handled it very discreetly. Found out after that there was an arrest made. It was a Dublin to Heathrow flight and didn't divert as we were more than halfway through the flight. Was given a bag of alcohol miniatures to help calm us down but it was unnecessary though appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sing_dumb

I'm going to the Holy Land via Dublin > Istanbul > Tel Aviv.....at Xmas. Am I nervous? Absolutely! But...but....it's my dream trip, a long held ambition of mine and NO terrorist is gonna stop me. Of course, my family + friends + work colleagues think I should be certified insane, for taking the chance.... but hey...if I didn't go, the murderers would have won and I'd have to endure another boring, dreary Xmas at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lando Griffins OTHER HALF

Won't stop me travelling for myself to where I want to go on a personal basis.

But not sure about travelling to certain European cities at the moment for work. Sort of feel that I owe it to myself not to let terrorists dictate where I go on holidays but feeling inclined to let them dictate it for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

I'm booking tickets to rugby in Paris in February

Terrorists won't win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Same here, just book flights and hotel for Paris for New Years Eve!
    Can't wait, it is and always will be a fantastic city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

To answer your question directly yes, but it wont stop me travelling because the day it does then the terrorist has won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

not a bit worried.
    Will be going to Brussels twice in the next couple of months, and driving then through Belgium/ France/ GB.
    And will be going to a rock concert in Munich in a couple of weeks.

I looked up the stats and there was 3500 people killed on German roads last year, in France 3250 and in the UK 2000 and 1500 between NL and Belgium.
    So..... I'll be travelling through a death zone that has claimed over 10,000 lives over the past year, but it wasnt any poxy terrorist that caused it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

While the threat of being caught up mightn't stop me, it would make we rethink for another reason.

If I had flights booked to Paris this week, I know I should go in defiance of the terrorists and do everything as normal, but there's no denying that the innocence of the city has been smashed, and the experience of the visit would be totally different to that last week.
    The mood would be somber and the air of high alert would directly impact the experience of what should have been a memorable holiday. I don't blame many who may cancel or rearrange such trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I wonder what the population proportion of people with terrorist leanings is in Ireland vs Australia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

OP as someone else has said - follow the official travel advice for each area. I have several trips planned over the next few months and I certainly won't be changing them. The people in Paris on Friday night (and elsewhere) were in their home countries!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

No, I'm actually more afraid of having to check in my luggage because they might lose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 orlahall

Hi, I am suppose to be travelling to Brussels this weekend with my boyfriend and friends. We are all unsure on whether to go or not. I would like to go anyway but I am a bit scared. Any opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

orlahall wrote: »
    Hi, I am suppose to be travelling to Brussels this weekend with my boyfriend and friends. We are all unsure on whether to go or not. I would like to go anyway but I am a bit scared. Any opinions?

Go, I was in Paris on Friday, came home Sunday evening, I would go back in the morning, no issues, enjoy your weekend away,
    eat lots of chocs and drink lots of beer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

op you ll be fine. enjoy your trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

I am going to paris in january and I will enjoy every minute. There is always fear especially immediately after these attacks.
    I will not let ISIS or anyone dictate how I live my life, I refuse to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Spread the love

I was in Paris about 8 weeks ago and went around all the beautiful landmarks but a few days before we were there, the police had foiled two guys going up the Eiffel Tower with guns. I enjoyed the holiday to a degree but that underlying threat and fear would really put me off. I was on edge the whole holiday, looking around me with distrust and it took some of enjoyment away. I just wouldn't put myself in the line of fire like that. I went to Iceland last week and the difference was chalk and cheese. I felt safe and comfortable. I will still travel but I'll be going to countries that are deemed safe and do not have a high terror risk unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I was in Paris about 8 weeks ago and went around all the beautiful landmarks but a few days before we were there, the police had foiled two guys going up the Eiffel Tower with guns. I enjoyed the holiday to a degree but that underlying threat and fear would really put me off. I was on edge the whole holiday, looking around me with distrust and it took some of enjoyment away. I just wouldn't put myself in the line of fire like that. I went to Iceland last week and the difference was chalk and cheese. I felt safe and comfortable. I will still travel but I'll be going to countries that are deemed safe and do not have a high terror risk unfortunately.

I feel similar, which is why I'm a little nervous about Amsterdam compared to if I was going to somewhere with very low risk like Prague, Vienna, Budapest etc....basically cities on the the eastern edge of continental Europe which seem more out of the way of potential attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Mr rebel wrote: »
    I feel similar, which is why I'm a little nervous about Amsterdam compared to if I was going to somewhere with very low risk like Prague, Vienna, Budapest etc....basically cities on the the eastern edge of continental Europe which seem more out of the way of potential attack.

Perhaps to put your mind at rest.

Some friends of mine went on a road trip a few months back from Eindhoven via Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Turkey and Georgia, then they flew back to NL and left the car there.

Then they flew back a few months later and drove the car back, my Wife also joined for a good bit of it. (I couldn't go, saving my days off for Christmas)

They didn't get kidnapped, they didn't get shot, they didn't get injured in some bombing and everything was fine.

To say now that Amsterdam is somehow dangerous because of what happened in Paris is like saying Dublin is dangerous to visit because some guy plotted to blow himself up in Manchester:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-31692375

Go enjoy Amsterdam, it's a great City, bad things happen everywhere all the time, just now that it's on the news people think it's somehow more likely (That's the point of Terrorism)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I would take my advice from the DFA website, I would avoid somewhere if they were warning not to travel. For example at the moment, Tunisia has a status of ‘avoid non-essential travel’ so I personally wouldn’t travel there at the moment. France has a status of ‘exercise extreme caution’ Belgium ‘exercise caution’ and Netherlands ‘take normal precautions’ so I would go ahead with travel plans to these places.

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/

I think it’s a poor way to live your life being in a state of fear and constantly thinking the worst. There are risks everywhere you go, some are man-made, some are natural in nature. There are dangers at home, the most dangerous thing you do every day is get in your car, on your bike or even cross the road. The chances of something happening you while you are in France is very, very slim and last weekend’s events have not changed that.

I can see people’s points about the mood being different, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. From what I have seen, there seems to be a feeling of comradery and support and Parisians determined not to let the terrorists win. A lot of people complain that Parisians are rude and aloof, well maybe they will find them less so now.

I say go and enjoy your break. I have an 18 month old daughter and if someone offered me a trip to Paris, I’d bring her in a heartbeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

This post has been deleted.

It's advice not a directive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

I left it for ages to book trip to Paris and Brussels next week, and now its gone too expensive. I am sort of relieved to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

If we live in fear, we dont live a life at all. Its best not to worry or think about it. An attack could happen anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm off to Brussels next week, it's on maximum alert and the underground is closed. I couldn't care less tbh, as long as the christmas market is open and bars are still selling belgian beer I'll be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

What I will suggest though for any & all travelling is to Please Register your Travel Details with our Department of Foreign Affairs right here.

^^^ While you may be confident in your travelling and plans, let it be Peace of Mind for your Loved Ones knowing at the very least Department Officials can contact you and provide assistance if there is an unforeseen crisis.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Leitrim96

Heading to brussels in january. Worried the holiday will be ruined with what i've been reading in the papers today. Any thoughts anyone?

The world changes day on day. We don't know what tomorrow brings, much less next year. Relax.

• Advertisement
Advertisement