Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHO: bacon is 'as big a cancer threat as smoking'

Options
  • 23-10-2015 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭

The whole article here (Telegraph)

Following reports that the WHO is expected to publish a report listing processed meat as a cancer-causing substance, experts have criticised suggestions that bacon and sausgages could be as dangerous as smoking.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) will publish a report on Monday on the dangers of eating processed meats.
    It is expected to list processed meat as a cancer-causing substance, while fresh red meat is also expected to be regarded as bad for health, the Daily Mail said.
    The classifications, by the WHO's International Agency for Research on Cancer, are believed to regard processed meat as "carcinogenic to humans", the highest of five possible rankings, shared with alcohol, asbestos, arsenic and cigarettes.

cancer rates world map

Islamic population of the world

*with the exception of Mexico, there seems to be a lot of similarity in both maps.. I wonder is it anything to do with the absence of pork in Islamic nation's diets? Im sure there must be a correlation.

So long as there is chicken, turkey and fish available, I wouldn't miss red meat.. I might even go vegetarian for a while.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

They probably don't have cancer treatment in the muslim countries, But its only more **** talk from the health sure who do you know ever died from eating meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

toptom wrote: »
    They probably don't have cancer treatment in the muslim countries, But its only more **** talk from the health sure who do you know ever died from eating meat.

Insert ex-girlfriend joke here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

toptom wrote: »

Believe it or not there's probably 100s of people who die every year by choking on a piece of steak or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's been known for some years that processed meat (esp sausages) are fundamentally bad for you. Michael Mosley did a programme on meat last year on the BBC which was a bit of an eye-opener when it came to this sort of thing. Not that it stops me of course (or him)
    Professor Walter Willett, of the Harvard School of Public Health, heads a team that have been tracking the diets of tens of thousands of people for many years.

"We found that those who consumed higher amounts of red meat had a higher risk of total mortality, cardiovascular mortality and cancer mortality," he told me in the Harvard cafeteria, while I nonchalantly ate a large steak.

On the basis of one of the studies he co-authored - Red Meat Consumption and Mortality, published in Archives of Internal Medicine - he estimates regularly eating a small amount of unprocessed red meat (85g, around 3oz) is associated with a 13% increased risk of mortality, while eating a similar amount of processed red meat (a hot dog or two slices of bacon) is associated with a 20% increased risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Being alive just elevates your risk of getting cancer. This is meant to increase your chances of getting it, that is cancer busting. They can seriously do all the research about foods that they want but they can't research every individual on the planet. Different things like genetics and lifestyle could enhance your risk of getting cancer. I'd take what they say with a pinch of salt and have it on my bacon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Whatever the truth - and I have serious doubts - not great news for our beef and lamb industry/exports:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Believe it or not there's probably 100s of people who die every year by choking on a piece of steak or something.

Wasn't the type of ex-girlfriend joke I was thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Lost faith with Daltrey and Townsend when Moon died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Birneybau wrote: »
    Lost faith with Daltrey and Townsend when Moon died.

Moon was a friend of Oliver Reid, surprise surprise..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Highly processed poor cuts of meat laced with God knows what to make it taste good is extremely bad for you...Big shock there :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

bacon is 'as big a cancer threat as smoking

I'm willing to take the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Do smokey bacon crisps count? Maybe listening to smokey? Living next door to Alice is carcinogenic?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Is there anything that doesn't give you cancer these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Can we watch movies with Kevin Bacon or will they give us cancer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

What about smoky bacon?

Smoke, bacon, carbs, fat, sal..........................dead already.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Whatever the truth - and I have serious doubts - not great news for our beef and lamb industry/exports:(

give it a few days and someone will dig up the Crohns disease / milk links again

http://i.imgur.com/6n8HnA5.png

http://i.imgur.com/CFWRTnZ.png

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12901893

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Cancer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

A blast of chemo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Smartphones, cause there smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

*with the exception of Mexico, there seems to be a lot of similarity in both maps.. I wonder is it anything to do with the absence of pork in Islamic nation's diets? Im sure there must be a correlation.

Death from car-bombs and other terrorist acts are probably far higher in islamic countries than in pork-eating countries. Not eating bacon causes terrorism.

So long as there is chicken, turkey and fish available, I wouldn't miss red meat.. I might even go vegetarian for a while.

It's your loss, I just had a bacon sangwidge and it was f***in delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Anyone tried Turkey Bacon?

I've seen them in Dunnes but never tried them.

They also have Turkey sausages as well.

http://www.ballyfree.ie/range_rash2.html

6 calories per slice, that can't be right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

So I should start smoking bacon?

EoghanIRL wrote: »

Im sure you could.. if you mean starting a smokery as a business.

It would be a great idea for a start-up business if it was properly researched....

'Healthy Irish Smoked Bacon' smoked over a 100% peat fire....*no carcinogens*

away you go now and make your millions (think of me when you've made it plz)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

They eat a lot of Lamb in Muslim countries as far as I know -- that's a red meat.

Also being at the centre of the Old World probably meant a lot of dna converged there bringing diversity and eradicating many genetic conditions.

In the New World, Mexico is in the centre as well, possibly with the same result.

sugarman wrote: »
    They seem to be referring to bacon, as in American streaky bacon. Not Irish bacon / rashers.

Big difference.

Ones processed to bejaysus with god knows what meats, prob the most mechanically separated parts of a pig with added chemicals to create the flavoring and colours.

Where as reashers arent half as bad, at least theyre propper cuts of meat that are just cured / treated /smoked and what have you.

they 'ammonia wash' meat in the USA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Who said that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

A blast of chemo?
    Joking aside, unfortunately not, some chemos can lead to secondary cancers, leukemias etc. :(
    EoghanIRL wrote: »

Safer to start baking the smokes.

They eat a lot of Lamb in Muslim countries as far as I know -- that's a red meat.

Also being at the centre of the Old World probably meant a lot of dna converged there bringing diversity and eradicating many genetic conditions.

In the New World, Mexico is in the centre as well, possibly with the same result.

yes, I looked into lamb alright.. the WHO report due on Monday lists specifically pork (processed) as being a leading cause of cancer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

We all die at some stage so if you like your bit of bacon then fire away. Life's too short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

'Healthy Irish Smoked Bacon' smoked over a 100% peat fire....

I'd say peat smoked bacon would be pretty tasty...

Advertisement