Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

90-year-old woman faces €1,500 bill after satellite dish case

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

first time I've heard of anyone being prosecuted..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

homer911 wrote: »
    first time I've heard of anyone being prosecuted..

Her daughter was on the phone to Liveline yesterday discussing her mother's court appearance today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

The Cush wrote: »
    Her daughter was on the phone to Liveline yesterday discussing her mother's court appearance today.

she is on liveline now again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,394 ✭✭✭irishgeo

do sky installers ask if you have planning before they lash the dish on the front to of your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

irishgeo wrote: »
    do sky installers ask if you have planning before they lash the dish on the front to of your house?
    Oh, they've well and truly covered their asses in their T & C's.

In any event its the legal responsibility of the property owner to seek permission in these situations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

AFAIK they are not allowed to put a dish on the front of your house, it is in their contract with sky and sky will not pay the company if they found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I dont get what the problem is.

If she was let away with a sat dish and just ignore whatever planning laws or rental contracts she has, then automatically anyone in the city should rightly expect to be allowed to do as they wish. So its right she was taken to task and made take down the dish.

She may be 90, but she doesnt have a special pass to break the law or avoid the conequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Being 90 isn't a free pass to break by laws no matter how stupid they are. People are offering to pay the fine in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

foggy_lad wrote: »
    AFAIK they are not allowed to put a dish on the front of your house, it is in their contract with sky and sky will not pay the company if they found out.

They put a dish on front of mine only last month ? And my neighbours is on front of theirs too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I dont get what the problem is.

If she was let away with a sat dish and just ignore whatever planning laws or rental contracts she has, then automatically anyone in the city should rightly expect to be allowed to do as they wish. So its right she was taken to task and made take down the dish.

She may be 90, but she doesnt have a special pass to break the law or avoid the conequences.

IIRC from what the daughter said on Liveline yesterday, there are lots of the neighbouring houses decorated by a dish on the front. My beef would be with the Council minions who pursued a woman of that age, and then, 2 months after the dish was taken down, had the gall to go looking for their costs. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

My old place had 3 dishes on the front of it....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

There are thousands of places in Dublin and elsewhere with dishes on the front. As Agent Smith says above, a good few have several dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

There are thousands of places in Dublin and elsewhere with dishes on the front. As Agent Smith says above, a good few have several dishes.

I'm sure that the Council are not being proactive about this .. a neighbour must have complained to them.

My old place had 3 dishes on the front of it....

You need planning for one more than one dish regardless of where its going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Iv seen some apartment complexes down in Waterford with dishes all over the place, wonder will the occupiers ever get done for it. There is one apartment block in Ferrybank with lots of dishes attached to the side railings with cables all over the place. There is a communal dish but it does not face the way many of the different occupiers want so they all lash up their own. It looks dreadful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

IIRC from what the daughter said on Liveline yesterday, there are lots of the neighbouring houses decorated by a dish on the front. My beef would be with the Council minions who pursued a woman of that age, and then, 2 months after the dish was taken down, had the gall to go looking for their costs. :mad:

Being 90 gets you a pass now does it ? She had two letters, why didn't she act on them (her excuse was that she didn't understand them)? If she did, there would have been no costs to the council, i.e. people living within that council paying their charges.

Someone had complained to the council, they had to act. And it was said somewhere that she wasn't the only one, others were too. But presumably the others acted on the notice given.

You need planning for one more than one dish regardless of where its going
    Correct. If there's more than one dish then planning permission is required regardless of where the dishes are located on the house.

However if it's a single dish on the front wall PP is still required although a single dish up to 1 metre in diameter can be fitted to the side or rear of the house without permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

But in an estate where management fees the council can do nothing, it's up to the Mgt Co to do the enforcing, even though it's in T's&C's of buying the place.

selous wrote: »
    But in an estate where management fees the council can do nothing, it's up to the Mgt Co to do the enforcing, even though it's in T's&C's of buying the place.
    The council can do plenty should they decide to go down the enforcement route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Does Ireland not comply with current EEC laws governing Satellite dishes at people's homes? Does the EEC laws state that Satellites dishes can be fitted without PP regardless of it's location on an homeowner's property?

I was frankly astounded that a 90 year old woman would be subjected to be unlawful from the EEC to the Irish courts on the grounds that could maybe be outdated under our current planning laws.

I thought that this case was a laughable joke when I read it from the internet. It turns out I was somehow wrong. A blindly stupid case altogether.

• Advertisement

Does Ireland not comply with current EEC laws governing Satellite dishes at people's homes? Does the EEC laws state that Satellites dishes can be fitted without PP regardless of it's location on an homeowner's property?

I was frankly astounded that a 90 year old woman would be subjected to be unlawful from the EEC to the Irish courts on the grounds that could maybe be outdated under our current planning laws.

I thought that this case was a laughable joke when I read it from the internet. It turns out I was somehow wrong. A blindly stupid case altogether.

the EU law doesnt give you carte blanche to lash up a dish anywhere you want as explained here. http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/europe_television_laws_satellite_tv_costa_blanca_spain.php

she was brought to court for ignoring the notice to remove the dish. if she done that she have saved herself the hassle.

It still seems silly to be brought to court over that when there are thousands of homes with dishes attached to the front with nothing seemingly being done about them. It is getting out of control in apartment blocks and that is where the enforcement needs to be carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Mines been on the front of the house for 15 years. Remember the installers at the time wouldn't put it anywhere else without being paid extra cash for doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0929/731102-satellite-dish/
    The Taoiseach has said that a measure of "common sense" should have been used after a 90-year-old woman was brought to court after she erected a satellite dish outside her home, in breach of planning laws.

I believe that she thought so too, which was why she ignored the letters. A perfect cast of the Law being an ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

obezyana wrote: »
    It still seems silly to be brought to court over that when there are thousands of homes with dishes attached to the front with nothing seemingly being done about them. It is getting out of control in apartment blocks and that is where the enforcement needs to be carried out.

In this case a complaint was made and 3 house in the area received a letter, the family has an FOI request in to find out who made the complaint according to Liveline yesterday.

The councils, it appears, will only act if a complaint is made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

I worked as a satellite installer a few years back. We were told nothing of any law in putting them on front of houses. We were simply told put them where ever the best signal is, and get the job done and move on to the next one.

I worked for a company in cork, who were contracted by Sierra communications.

Several times a month, Sierra would visit the site to do a spot check on our safety on site, and never once said we can't do a front install.

adox wrote: »
    Mines been on the front of the house for 15 years. Remember the installers at the time wouldn't put it anywhere else without being paid extra cash for doing it.

Yep this is part of the problem as some installers just want to stick in the most convenient place for themselves. Also attaching them to chimney stacks seems to be a favourite thing aswell.

obezyana wrote: »
    Yep this is part of the problem as some installers just want to stick in the most convenient place for themselves. Also attaching them to chimney stacks seems to be a favourite thing aswell.

sky dont allow that anymore, it cant go above 1st floor level now. After a few installers fell from roofs. I heard this from a installer himself. Also installer not allowed into the attic either.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    In this case a complaint was made and 3 house in the area received a letter, the family has an FOI request in to find out who made the complaint according to Liveline yesterday.

The councils, it appears, will only act if a complaint is made.

I know the councils have to act on this when requested to do so and that woman should of acted in a more suitable time frame but what about the thousands of homes etc out there who have dishes out front. If a law is being broken where it is so obvious then why do they need somebody to actually make a complaint before they act? Im not saying I agree with the law on this but it seems a bit silly to only act if asked. Not many people or even installers have a clue about the law in the first place and maybe this type of thing shows the need for the industry to be regulated.

Advertisement