Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi u-turned, I hit it -- no damage

Options
  • 24-07-2015 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

Taxi u-turned today in Ballsbridge, no mirror check and no indicator, totally unexpected and without warning. Was very little traffic so he must've thought he had the road to himself. I broke hard, skidded, kept her up, did my best but ultimately, hit the taxi. Only moved my mirror a bit, I was fine. Pretty sure the car was fine too. Thankfully I was on my 250, 'cos I don't think I would have kept the 800CC up.

He was very apologetic... I just shrugged it off and shook his hand through the window and left. Think he was very surprised to have gotten away so lightly.

That was my first proper collision. I wasn't angry or shook at all which was odd, for me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

FASCINATING

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭rat_race

FASCINATING

I know. Just had to share.

Guess you had to be there...was fairly dramatic.

Feels good to have gotten it outta the way though...as they say, there's only two types of bikers: those that have crashed and those that will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Glad all is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Just keep extra distance at all times dude. Always expect this sh!t to happen, and it does happen a lot whether it be Taxi's or just idiots. Be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

rat_race wrote: »

Feels good to have gotten it outta the way though...as they say, there's only two types of bikers: those that have crashed and those that will.

nothing is outta the way, same thing could happen to you today, observation & distance will help keep you upright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

FASCINATING

:rolleyes:...........why isnt there a "wan*er" emoticon..??

You should have thrown yourself on the ground...these fcukers get away with murder, wont stop him doing it again unless you hit them where it hurts..the pocket...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

FASCINATING

You won the internet today, Il take out my little internet trophy so you can put it on your lonely shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

That was my first proper collision. I wasn't angry or shook at all which was odd, for me!

Could be a bit shock..... or you are just really glad it turned out how it did.

Safe riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

You done very well mate, sounds like you didnt panic which is very hard not to do the 1st time something goes belly up. But I would have reported the incident to both the gaurds and his insurance company even if not claiming. Just to have it on his record, obviously not "ALL" taxis are the same but majority are indeed pricks when driving....

Cant believe nobody has not asked was he a foreign national????

:pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

He doesnt know....he couldnt understand what the driver was saying.........:p

He doesnt know....he couldnt understand what the driver was saying.........:p

Taxi was self driving, at least he could not SEE anyone driving it....:eek::eek:

Taxi was self driving, at least he could not SEE anyone driving it....:eek::eek:

Was it dark..???...:eek:

Was it dark..???...:eek:

LMAO.....Depends on numerous facters TBH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I can't believe nobody asked if the OP was a foreign national??? :pac::pac:

Good thinking sherlock, could be from outside DUBERLAND!

Nah...a fn would have kicked 50 shades of brown out of the driver......we're too soft...:P

I'm Irish, he was not :) ... just to answer your question!

Cheers for the kind words Wonda!

This was outside where I work. A guy I work with saw the whole thing, by chance...he said the back wheel came off the ground by the end. Which makes sense, because the last second or two felt very strange. I was at like probably 2MPH when I hit him, but couldn't steer the bike!

On a positive note, I did my first stoppie!

LMAO, I knew it....sure there is prolly 5 driving the same taxi on the same insurance ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

This was outside where I work. A guy I work with saw the whole thing, by chance...he said the back wheel came off the ground by the end. Which makes sense, because the last second or two felt very strange. I was at like probably 2MPH when I hit him, but couldn't steer the bike!

Well done man, you should get out and practice emergency braking, it will stand to you if **** hits the fan again!

• Advertisement

aaakev wrote: »
    Well done man, you should get out and practice emergency braking, it will stand to you if **** hits the fan again!

Yeah. Well, I used to, on this same bike, thankfully. I always always use both brakes, at least somewhat. The back skidded at first (easy to do on this bike). Never had to pull the front to the point of a stoppie though!

So, I'm fairly confident knowing you can brake REALLY hard in a straight line, without much risk. However, I probably pulled the front brake as hard as I could by the end, harder than ever before.

So, why didn't the front lock up (maybe it did but I didn't notice)? How much front braking is too much, if there is such a thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

How much front braking is too much, if there is such a thing?

So, why didn't the front lock up (maybe it did but I didn't notice)? How much front braking is too much, if there is such a thing?

Helps alot if you have ABS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

I'd have taken his mirror as a souvenir and added it to my collection :D

Mesrine65 wrote: »

Well I don't mind that because at least he didn't skid, and could have avoided the accident it by easing off the front brakes.

But...

Some good stuff here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-Safety/braking-tips.htm

Apparently front wheel skids are pretty uncommon...and fairly easy to control when they do occur. Not in a turn, obviously :) ...

...and fairly easy to control when they do occur. Not in a turn, obviously :) ...

...but you have to know how and its not something a lot of people could cope with....the obvious thing is to grab a handful of lever, you also need to, in that split second look for alternative routes while braking, this means braking while turning....not something you can be told...

...but you have to know how and its not something a lot of people could cope with....the obvious thing is to grab a handful of lever, you also need to, in that split second look for alternative routes while braking, this means braking while turning....not something you can be told...

Are you suggesting practising front wheel skids? :D No thanks!

He must of got an urgent email from a relative stating he had inherited 10 million rand and that he needs to get details to them as soon as possible......he had no time to indicate or look in mirrors!!!!

:pac::pac::pac:

thelawman wrote: »
    nothing is outta the way, same thing could happen to you today, observation & distance will help keep you upright
    Are you suggesting practising front wheel skids? :D No thanks!

You might both find this interesting. FYI, I crashed again yesterday. This time my own fault. Road was insanely slippery, in hindsight. Basically overtaking a row of stationary traffic and had to suddenly pull in behind one (gap of about 15 meters between it and the car behind) due to oncoming traffic that came out of a driveway.

Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, maybe going a tiny bit fast. But instantly went into a rear wheel skid, so I eased up on it before I lost total control, but had to put even more on the front. Was getting very close to car in front at this stage. Was probably already a bit sidewards from the rear skid when and the front skidded out went down too. I hit/sidewardly skiddied into the back/right hand side of the car. Felt a lot worse that it was. Only paint damage to her car and most of it rubbed off. The women was cool and was grand about it...I offered my details but she was on her way!

That's two accidents in a month, and zero in 4 years before that. Tyres seem fine, but, gonna replace them anyway. And not be cocky again...

Deffo questioning myself tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

You might both find this interesting. FYI, I crashed again yesterday. This time my own fault. Road was insanely slippery, in hindsight. Basically overtaking a row of stationary traffic and had to suddenly pull in behind one (gap of about 15 meters between it and the car behind) due to oncoming traffic that came out of a driveway.

Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, maybe going a tiny bit fast. But instantly went into a rear wheel skid, so I eased up on it before I lost total control, but had to put even more on the front. Was getting very close to car in front at this stage. Was probably already a bit sidewards from the rear skid when and the front skidded out went down too. I hit/sidewardly skiddied into the back/right hand side of the car. Felt a lot worse that it was. Only paint damage to her car and most of it rubbed off. The women was cool and was grand about it...I offered my details but she was on her way!

That's two accidents in a month, and zero in 4 years before that. Tyres seem fine, but, gonna replace them anyway. And not be cocky again...

Deffo questioning myself tho!

It's only natural to question yourself after 2 incidents so close together. It's not a bad thing to check yourself and riding style from time to time also. I think I experienced twice today my front hitting a bit of diesel on a roundabout. The front just seemed to squirm for a second. I take roundabouts like a granny but I'll defo take it handier over the next while now due to what I experienced today. Did u get your spill on camera?

Advertisement