Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Dear Iggy Azalea, Can You Not?' (Huffington Post article)

Options
  • 09-06-2015 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

The Huffington Post published an article on 4th June by Lauren Duca criticising Iggy Azalea, and telling her to stop “accessorizing yourself with the black American South”.

Duca writes,

“Here are some things you should think about:

1. You are not black.
    2. You are not from the American South.
    3. You are not a black person from the American South.”

You can read the full article here.

Duca argues that

“You are not only disrespecting the culture of the black American South. You are also accessorizing yourself with it for profit. It is wrong (and often racist) to play the part of a marginalized person without having experienced their version of marginalization. You are not entitled to pick and choose certain elements of cultures....

Culture reflects the core of a person's being. It defines their experiences and perspective. It is inextricably linked to social, political and economic realities. It is not something you can just "put on" like a funny hat.”

This reminds me of the famous black American comedian Paul Mooney, who argued that white people such as Eminem performing rap was “blackface without the make up”.

What are people's thoughts on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

It's bullying (i.e. Iggy Azalea is being bullied) and I'll tell you why. There are hundreds / thousands of white pop acts who have been using elements of black culture in their performances since forever. People are now picking on Iggy Azalea for some reason, when there are an endless amount of others who have been doing it for years. I hate seeing someone being ganged-up on, whether they are famous or not, and I find it disgusting, weak and pathetic. She's an easy target because one person decided to pick her up on it and now everyone's doing it. Beyond pathetic. It reminds me of school where the weakest person was picked on and then all the pathetic bully sheep started picking on them too, because they were an easy target and everyone else was doing it.

Snoop Dogg is a perfect example of a hypocrite regarding this. He posted juvenile video messages on Instagram being nasty towards Iggy, for "trying to be black." Then, in the Roast of Justin Bieber, he tells Justin Bieber "Justin, you want to be black and I want to tell you that we accept you as one of us."

It's bandwagon bullying idiots just being moronic dumb c**ts, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Its fashion. That's all. I think it is unfair to say "you can't dress like me cause you're not black".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

This reminds me of the famous black American comedian Paul Mooney, who argued that white people such as Eminem performing rap was “blackface without the make up”.

What are people's thoughts on this?

My thoughts are that Paul Mooney is a white Irish name and he has no right to it.

He should have to change his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Eminem did alright from it.

Tiger Woods ripped off the white man by playing the white man's little white ball game .

Dressing like a white man here too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

My thoughts are that Paul Mooney is a white Irish name and he has no right to it.

He should have to change his name.

His real name is Paul Gladney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Do any of them mention eminem on their you're not black speeches??

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

Most American's couldn't handle hearing an Aussie voice rapping. How many grime or British rappers make it over there?

You have to adapt to suit an American audience. Duca is your typical white New Englander with a saviour complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

F*cking hell. I used to massively respect both the Huffington Post and the Guardian newspaper, but in the last 1-2 years they've both slid into the depths of privilege-facism. No idea how this happened, both publications were once champions of protesters and of freedom, now both spend half their time ripping on anyone who does anything mildly un-pc and propagating stereotypes and double standards against men, straight people, white people, Christians, etc.

It's getting old. Does this sh!te actually sell newspapers? :confused:

His real name is Paul Gladney.

He shouldn't be allowed to use a white Irish name as his stage name.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

"It is wrong (and often racist) to play the part of a marginalized person without having experienced their version of marginalization."

ah, but of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Leave Iggy alone!! :mad:

I want to be in her gang of bad b*tches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Nothing to do with Race. Just another Australian pretending to be American for profit.

See Johns, Daniel. Silverchair.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Thought rap was a genre,came from the streets of NY or wherever. Can't see how it's restricted to being black.
    Americans and they're black issues.
    Never seen a black comedian yet that didn't mention racial differences,it's the equivalent of a female comedian talking about periods...lazy and unimaginative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Dear Iggy Azalea. Stahhp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

It's not about her rapping. It's about her appropriating a Southern Black accent and using vernacular that is not from her authentic experience. Eminem grew up in 8 Mile, surrounded by Black folk. He rapped from an authentic experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I don't know who any of these cunce are.

It's not about her rapping. It's about her appropriating a Southern Black accent and using vernacular that is not from her authentic experience. Eminem grew up in 8 Mile, surrounded by Black folk. He rapped from an authentic experience.

She's copying a style.Happens all the time in music.

Seems like he has made a career out of talking about race.

Here he is being a riot:

'At a performance in West Nyack, New York, on April 20, 2013—five days after the Boston Marathon bombings—Mooney allegedly joked "white people in Boston deserved what they got and (it was) OK to lose a few limbs... as long as no blacks got hurt it was OK." Numerous audience members stormed out and the show's producer "Levity Live Comedy Club" cancelled the remaining shows.[14] On April 23, Mooney appeared on the Opie and Anthony Show on Sirius XM Satellite Radio, and denied he had made the comments as reported, particularly denying he said that "white people deserved to be blown up."'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

kneemos wrote: »
    She's copying a style.Happens all the time in music.

No. She's appropriating an ethnic identity and selling it as a commodity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

She's appropriating an ethnic identity and selling it as a commodity.

Paul Mooney criticised Eminem in that video, saying he was "offended" by him.

Presumably you would disagree with Mooney on this point, but agree with Luca about Iggy Azalea?

• Advertisement

So what.

Actors do it the whole time.Pop music is basically acting just with a bit of singing thrown in.

Exactly She's using black culture as a prop to drape herself in. It's cheap and diminishing, since it's not something she has any ownership or real experience of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Wait 'til the southern rednecks hear some Irish country & western, then the **** will really hit the fan.

It's not an ethnic identity,it came from the streets and was copied by every tom ,dick and harry.
    Ever heard Irish Country and Western ?
    The history of music is all about copy,change and development.

Well, the world went global. It doesn't really matter what small locality you hail from if you can/do immerse yourself with people from anywhere you choose.

Also, lots of people in the music business and life project an image that may be exaggerated or in part/entirely fictitious

Keith from the prodigy was/is into gardening. :pac::P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Candie wrote: »
    Exactly She's using black culture as a prop to drape herself in. It's cheap and diminishing, since it's not something she has any ownership or real experience of.

Now candie , that is a load of ****e of the highest order, what would you say about a black person trying to break into the operatic or classical music genres , I've no doubt that you'd label people racist if they said it was exclusively for white Austrian/german males and commend black person for trying to better themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

There is a serious bang off this 'appropriating culture' angle, I don't know why exactly but it smells

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Also many people appropriating the phrase 'appropriating culture'. one person said it, it sounded really intelligent then everyone gets to copy him?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Every pop act is conforming to completely artificial expectations that have nothing to do with actual people or identity. I find it bizarre that people confuse pop music or acts with anyone's identity or culture. I'd hope no ones identity would be so shallow that it could be confused with the work of Iggy Azalea or her colleagues.

First world problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I'd ride her like Tony Mc Coy

Advertisement