Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 cannot connect to PSN on UPC cisco router

Options
  • 19-05-2015 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Sony tell me they had unplanned maintenance this weekend, which they say has now finished.
    Now my PS3 can connect to internet but cannot connect to the PSN.

I have tried every I can think of.
    Port forwarding for
    TCP Ports: 80, 443, 5223
    UDP Ports: 3478, 3479, 3658

Put PS3 in the DMZ.

It only connects if I fully turn off the routers firewall, which is not the best solution.

Can someone please help or suggest anything different?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I can't connect my PS4 on my UPC connection either(Thomson router).
    Playststion suggested I rebuild my database, didn't work for me.

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5044

I tried connecting using my phone as a hotspot - same, fails playstation network sign in everytime.

Has downloaded updates though, which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pilch

Yeah, out of frustration I did some option late last night which rebuild the PS3. Reset all accounts, but still does not log in after all that.

Sony say they can do nothing more that provide the ports to open.

UPC can offer a phone number to call at €1.20 per minute.
    €1.20 a minute... I don't have a lottery win lying around to call them as I was on hold for nearly 10 minutes before I spoke to someone today on their freephone number let alone this premium rate number.

I downloaded a port scanner to check the ports were open and that could not confirm the routers ports were even working correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Are you both sure it's nothing to do with the outage from the weekend.
    Personally I wouldn't be in a rush to play with router settings until things are definitely confirmed as being OK.

But - somethings I have tried in the past.
    1. DMZ - but hated it, when connected all my other devices were knocked out.
    2. Wired directly to the router, get an IP address assigned and then update the IP, DNS etc to the static values, DNS matching the one provided by your ISP
    3. Wireless - just really stay away from that.

If you disable your firewall on your router and it works though that really does flag it's something being controlled by your ISP.
    Again check the settings for port forwarding or see if there is a list you can access to place your PS3/4 into safe list - sometimes adding and removing works. It did for me with the chromecast but I am magnet so our routers are clearly different.

best of luck though :(

I think it is a hangover from the weekend.

When I tried to connect using my phone(meteor) and got the same error as with UPC...
    Still have to try these "remedies" in case one of them work.

On the plus side, I found out BF4 has a campaign mode. Who knew...:P

I would put it down to the hangover from the weekend, but Sony are being adamant that that is all fixed, even looking at their server status shows a blanket of happy green.
    If there is an issue I would like to think that Sony were big and sensible enough to admit it rather than have me hunt around for a fix which may never exist until Sony themselves fix it.

The fact that I can connect when the routers firewall is off is whats driving me to get over this as it is connecting, if it didnt at all then fine the weekend outage could be to blame.

Yeah tried static IP addresses, wired v wireless. All I get is a time out message not even an error message any more.

F1ngers is right...Its like having my PS2 back with all these 1 player campaigns companyies keep giving us for free in their games which nowadays seem solely made for online gaming.

Whats more annoying is EA have a decent sale on which starts to run out this thursday and I cant even take advantage of that, gggrrrr technology!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

What got me, I don't mind if the servers go down here and there, sh*t happens, but some games I PAID for I couldn't play because I wasn't online, if this is the future of gaming... no thanks bro.

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    What got me, I don't mind if the servers go down here and there, sh*t happens, but some games I PAID for I couldn't play because I wasn't online, if this is the future of gaming... no thanks bro.

Also the PSN doesnt just effect games, try using the consoles Apps without being signed in

no youTube access
    no Netflix access

I would like to see head of sony entertainment explain to my kids why they cant enjoy a movie as a reward after being good all week just because I cant log in to Sony's Network.... but dad its Netflix I want to watch not Sony, I know son, I know!.

Gonna have to do a full reset of the broadband router. If this doesnt work i guess the money i put aside to treat my little johnny will have to go towards UPC's non existent in-house broadband support and go towards the outsourced phone jacking helpdesk.

pilch wrote: »

I would like to see head of sony entertainment explain to my kids why they cant enjoy a movie as a reward after being good all week just because I cant log in to Sony's Network.... but dad its Netflix I want to watch not Sony, I know son, I know!.

Tweet him: https://twitter.com/yosp
    Gonna have to do a full reset of the broadband router. If this doesnt work i guess the money i put aside to treat my little johnny will have to go towards UPC's non existent in-house broadband support and go towards the outsourced phone jacking helpdesk.

Did that, didn't work. :(

He was busy rather smuggly on his PSN and letting his kids watch Netflix.

Will try him again tomorrow.

Just a thought.
    Have you an option of brining your PS3/4 to someone else's house with a different provider to see if that makes a difference. Again though if you can access it by disabling your firewall your ISP has a large part to play...

Again am in Magnet and have had no issues connecting since it came back...
    PS4 connecting straight away every time...

• Advertisement

Cheers and good thinking Taltos for another troubleshooting option.

Since last night I seem to have it working. It may of been the long lasting headache from the weekend, and then my misunderstanding of a router setting.

In the Cisco routers Firewall setting you have 4 options
    low, medium, high and off.
    Before it only worked on off.
    Now it works on low and no higher option.
    When I select low it then says 'all ports are open', when I select medium it gives a list of 'ports which are open'. This is where my misunderstanding may lie.

To try and explain, on the medium setting it gave a list of about 20 ports which 'are open' so I thought if I wanted to open any more than what's on the list I had to name them in the port forwarding, on reflection this may not be the case.
    When it gave a list of ports 'which are open' it was really giving me 'a list of ports I can open if they are on the list and cannot open any other ports not on the list'.
    So with that, when I select low firewall and it says 'no ports open' its really says 'I can open any port I want as there's none excluded from the list'.
    This seems to be confirmed when I set the firewall to medium and then in port forwarding I opened every port from 1 - 65535 (in my basic understanding I was thinking this is as good as turning off the firewall by opening every port). It still did not connect which to me confirmed something was a foot with the port forwarding not overriding the firewall setting.

I also changed the DNS settings to get away other possible hidden restrictions hiding behind the ISP default settings.
    Still doesnt explain why the DMZ zone didnt work, but to quote the saying 'if it works, dont fix it'

So, for now im back on PSN and happily browsing the PlayStation Store, I just have the tricky task now of deciding between downloading BF4 or Farming Simulator '15 ;0)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Go with FS 15 ,Im tempted to get it myself today :pac: glad its back working for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Taltos wrote: »
    Just a thought.
    Have you an option of brining your PS3/4 to someone else's house with a different provider to see if that makes a difference. Again though if you can access it by disabling your firewall your ISP has a large part to play...

Again am in Magnet and have had no issues connecting since it came back...
    PS4 connecting straight away every time...

I done this, my friend is on UPC too and within 2 seconds I was connected...

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭CDBWhoop

Another UPC customer here experiencing issues with PSN for the last week.
    Regularly disconnected while playing Destiny - thought it was the Destiny servers themselves initially - but also getting booted from party chat prior to game disconnect which would indicate the issue is with PSN.

The PSN was subject to a DDOS attack recently, is this still ongoing does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭CDBWhoop

Running the "Test Internet Connection" test on the PS4 after a disconnect re-establishes a connection almost instantly 95% of the time. Connection speeds look fine and displays NAT Type 1 so it looks like a temporary loss of connection.

I'm not a Destiny owner so cant give you hands-on experience but I see on the web a load of people saying they have issue, then it could be its such a big game more people or talking about it.

The dude in Sony I spoke to regards to my problem mentioned NAT issues, they said NAT-3 is bad and its normally NAT-2, but looking at this site is top of the list (this site also has port numbers as well) Ha, Im a newbie so cant post hyperlink but a good auld search for "guide to configuring your nat settings bungie" will put it top of your list.

In all the threads I read when I had my issue mentioned 'Ports' and MTU being set to 1473 or 1500(but this was a fix rather than a solution by sounds of it).

After my troubles I would try having a look in the routers setting and see what firewall setting its on, this was my PSN issue. If firewall is on low have a go at port forwarding or putting the PS in the DMZ zone(you need to know the IP of the machine, but this didnt work for me).
    Its not as if you cant connect its just that you keep getting kicked out so maybe no harm confirming the ports you want to remain open.

Also if your wireless it could be interference dropping out.

As Taltos suggested try another UPC network. All my mates are Eircom so I couldnt say 100% if UPC are at fault. I think my issue 'went away' rather than being solved so cant really help any more.

Brought my PS4 to my brothers and same error(his PS4 works fine).
    Initialised it and still the same.
    Can't log in because of error, all DLC is gone because I initialised it.

I now own a €400 brick...:(

arrh no ya kiddin, I feel your pain.
    Theres nothing worse than having to wipe everything and it still doesnt work.

Have you tried to see if you can log into your playstation account from your phone or on a PC?, can you get on the Playstation Store on another machine? Even try resetting your password if needs be to see if that clears anything.

However, after saying that if its your actual PS4 that cannot connect to any internet network whether its on your home broadband, phone network or your bros network then fingers are pointing to your PS4 rather than the network itself.
    Can remember did you try both wireless and wired connections to try and rule one of those out?!

I have logged onto my account on my phone, even changed the password.
    I also put a game into the queue.

I got online using my phone as a hotspot, (downloaded game as mentioned above) - unable to repeat though.

So it's probably not the PS4.

Wired and wireless.

I don't know F1ngers. It could still be you've some odd console issue.
    I've used my three mobile a few times to connect, once I've a signal it always worked...

Unless your brother is Eircom or upc - the two named above - going to his house should have worked. Unless of course he previously went to his router and put the MAC address into a safe list or hard set the ip and DNS addresses on his PS4.

Just wondering does everything else check out? Eg your system time is correct.
    Did you do the mini initialise or the full one where you need to reinstall system software?

Really sounding like you'll need Sonys help, possibly its something small now but where to find it since you've done the usual...

• Advertisement

Sounds like you are stuck in a rite nightmare F1ngers. I'm starting to get confused with what works for you and doesnt, and when and when not, your head must be wrecked!.

The last bit I gather, I could be completely wrong here, is that you can connect the PS4 using your phone but not through a home router.
    In my very simplistic understanding Im thinking that when you tether to your phone you are using the phones IP address to the network and the PS4 is piggybacking on to that without the need of setting up its own IP address.
    On a home router however the machine needs its own IP address. If you cannot connect on a home network(your house or your brothers) Im thinking is there something weird happening with the PS4 getting an IP address? or is it giving itself a static IP address which is not in the same network range, usually 192.168.1.xxx,
    thomson may even be on 192.168.0.xxx so your PS4 would need a 192.168.0 address. Worth logging in to router to check.
    Is it getting any IP address, in settings> network settings> Settings and connection test, is it showing up that its getting any details from the router. also settings> network settings> Internet connection test you can run that and see where its failing (sorry if you know all this already).

Sounds like you are stuck in a rite nightmare F1ngers. I'm starting to get confused with what works for you and doesnt, and when and when not, your head must be wrecked!.

The last bit I gather, I could be completely wrong here, is that you can connect the PS4 using your phone but not through a home router.
    In my very simplistic understanding Im thinking that when you tether to your phone you are using the phones IP address to the network and the PS4 is piggybacking on to that without the need of setting up its own IP address.
    On a home router however the machine needs its own IP address. If you cannot connect on a home network(your house or your brothers) Im thinking is there something weird happening with the PS4 getting an IP address? or is it giving itself a static IP address which is not in the same network range, usually 192.168.1.xxx,
    thomson may even be on 192.168.0.xxx so your PS4 would need a 192.168.0 address. Worth logging in to router to check.
    Is it getting any IP address, in settings> network settings> Settings and connection test, is it showing up that its getting any details from the router. also settings> network settings> Internet connection test you can run that and see where its failing (sorry if you know all this already).

The PS4 has downloaded a couple of updates recently(War Thunder), so it "sees" something.

Passed IP and internet connection tests - fails at PSN connection.

I got it to work on my phone once, have been unable to repeat it.

I tried to do the full initialise, but the PS4 doesn't recognise the update in the PS4>UPDATE>PS4UPDATE.PUP on the USB stick, both USB ports tried.

I think for initialise you need a different file than the update file. (I think)
    Also make sure your USB stick is formatted correctly.

Guide here
    https://www.playstation.com/en-ie/get-help/ps4-system-software/

* There must be approximately 900 MB of free space.

1. On the USB storage device, create folders for saving the update file.

Using a computer, create a folder named "PS4". Inside that folder, create another folder named "UPDATE".

2. Download the update file, and save it in the "UPDATE" folder you created in step 1.

Save the file with the file name "PS4UPDATE.PUP".

[DOWNLOAD NOW] Click to start the download.

3. Turn off the power of your PS4 system completely.

Check that the power indicator is not lit. If the power indicator is lit up in orange, touch the power button on the PS4 system for at least seven seconds (until the system beeps a second time).

4. Connect the USB storage device that the update file is saved on to your PS4 system, and then touch the power button for at least seven seconds. The PS4 system starts in safe mode.

5. Select [Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software)].

Follow the screens to complete the update.

If your PS4 system does not recognise the update file, check that the folder names and file name are correct. Enter the folder names and file name in single-byte characters using uppercase letters.

I think for initialise you need a different file than the update file. (I think)
    Also make sure your USB stick is formatted correctly.

Guide here
    https://www.playstation.com/en-ie/get-help/ps4-system-software/

* There must be approximately 900 MB of free space.

1. On the USB storage device, create folders for saving the update file.

Using a computer, create a folder named "PS4". Inside that folder, create another folder named "UPDATE".

2. Download the update file, and save it in the "UPDATE" folder you created in step 1.

Save the file with the file name "PS4UPDATE.PUP".

[DOWNLOAD NOW] Click to start the download.

3. Turn off the power of your PS4 system completely.

Check that the power indicator is not lit. If the power indicator is lit up in orange, touch the power button on the PS4 system for at least seven seconds (until the system beeps a second time).

4. Connect the USB storage device that the update file is saved on to your PS4 system, and then touch the power button for at least seven seconds. The PS4 system starts in safe mode.

5. Select [Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software)].

Follow the screens to complete the update.

If your PS4 system does not recognise the update file, check that the folder names and file name are correct. Enter the folder names and file name in single-byte characters using uppercase letters.

To the letter. :(

There is also an option to update the system software via USB, I can do that and it recognises the file on the USB.

Then I am lost.
    I remember trying to install the UPDATE on a new HDD for the PS3 and got stupid errors.
    Turned out I needed a different UPDATE file for the initial install, thought it might be something similar for the full install you are doing.

Sounds more and more likely you'll have to call Sony. Who know's maybe its simply a case of them blocking your PS4.
    Oooh - did you go online and deregister all of your devices in case it is that?
    https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/liquid/cam/devices/device-options!input.action?deviceIndex=2

Sounds more and more likely you'll have to call Sony. Who know's maybe its simply a case of them blocking your PS4.
    Oooh - did you go online and deregister all of your devices in case it is that?
    https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/liquid/cam/devices/device-options!input.action?deviceIndex=2

I got online, albeit momentarily, so I'm not blocked.

EDIT:
    Update:
    Got online using my phone again, BF4 and Aaru's Awakening started to download.
    Went back to UPC(wired and wi-fi), am getting a different error(CE-33987-0) and it's taking longer to fail at PSN sign in(gave me false hope).

Anywho, have BF4 back. More SP mayhem.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Passed IP and internet connection tests - fails at PSN connection.

If it helps that is exactly what mine was doing and it was the router which was blocking it.
    Get logged in to your Tompson router and check out the Firewall settings. Look for anything to do with blocked ports or a lost which could be a restriction on ports. Look for a DMZ and put your PS4 in there. Remember to save settings before you move on, sorry for pointing out the basic. See about port fowarding.
    Its connecting to the internet so thats positive, if you can use browser then thats good. The PSN is behind a sensitive server so its not letting you in for some reason so get the router to ask the right questions and pass on the correct answers and you will be back gaming in no time.

If it helps that is exactly what mine was doing and it was the router which was blocking it.
    Get logged in to your Tompson router and check out the Firewall settings. Look for anything to do with blocked ports or a lost which could be a restriction on ports. Look for a DMZ and put your PS4 in there. Remember to save settings before you move on, sorry for pointing out the basic. See about port fowarding.
    Its connecting to the internet so thats positive, if you can use browser then thats good. The PSN is behind a sensitive server so its not letting you in for some reason so get the router to ask the right questions and pass on the correct answers and you will be back gaming in no time.

Tried DMZ - no change(may have done it wrong, will re-do tomorrow).
    Firewall is low - all ports are open.

One thing I did notice, in the event log on router it gives a warning and description: Map reject, not authorised for downstream traffic...

Might be something there(might be clutching too).

Ill do some more checking in the morning, then call UPC.

You can also temporarily turn OFF your firewall on your router - just to test and exclude.
    But don't leave it off. I think I had to do the same for my Chromecast before I got it working.

• Advertisement

You can also temporarily turn OFF your firewall on your router - just to test and exclude.
    But don't leave it off. I think I had to do the same for my Chromecast before I got it working.

Defo try that as troubleshoot is to eliminate all possible issues, shame tho as shooting your toubles would do much more to help lower your stress levels.

Advertisement