Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends of Pat Halligan Cycle North County Dublin

Options
  • 24-04-2015 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

I just wanted to post this here as a good few people on here would know Pat Halligan, and others might not know Pat but might be interested.

For those that do know him

There is a cycle being organized mostly as a way to show Pat that everyone supports him, but also to help raise funds for his recovery and rehabilitation after the bike crash in 2013.

The event is only small, with space for 200 people just to get together for a spin for Pat. If you knew him, it'd be great to see you there on the 9th May. You can see the details and sign up here: www.foph.ie

For those that don't know him

Pat Halligan is a cyclist from North County Dublin. In 2013 in an IVCA race, he was involved in what was really a freak accident in the way he crashed.
    As a result, Pat suffered really bad head injuries, and now requires a lot of time and effort for his care and hopefully one day, recovery.

The reason I post this here is because it is something that could have happened to any of us, and I'd like to think that everyone would come together for any active cyclist that was injured in the same way while racing.

There's a small event being organised on the 9th May in North County Dublin to show support for Pat and help with his care and recovery. If you'd like to take part, it has all of the usual sportive features in terms of stops and food etc., and there's a draw you're entered into when you take part with some really great prizes from a lot of bike shops around Dublin.

You can get info and sign up here: www.foph.ie

It's being organised by some of his friends, and I'm just posting this here to try and help out for another cyclist.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 micko000

Great cycle for a great cause, will defo be doing it,was just wondering can you pay on the day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

micko000 wrote: »
    Great cycle for a great cause, will defo be doing it,was just wondering can you pay on the day ?

It is possible to pay on the day, but I think online signup is preferred to help organise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I don't think so, the organisers want to have a heads up before, to have people grouped into paced groups.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Pat was a great help to me when I moved back from the North 13 years ago. His spins made me and everyone welcome. What he didn't know or hadn't done in cycling wasn't worth knowing ! I'll be there and look forward to seeing others share memories, thoughts and best wishes for Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Just signed up for the 120..looking forward to it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,966 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Signed up for the 120k.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,757 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just a reminder this event is a week tomorrow. The organisers will really appreciate it if those taking part could sign up (via the link in the OP) as soon as possible as that will allow them to better estimate how much support is going to be required

If you cannot make it you can still donate to this extremely worthy cause via the PayPal link on the website

McNally Swords CC are supporting thie event and for anyone who regularly does the club Saturday morning (Blakes X) spin please note this will not be running next weekend so you'll be be able to get your usual Saturday morning fix from just up the road in Lusk instead

Just an update that the routes are available on Garmin Connect.

50km Route
    120km Route

There is still time to register at www.foph.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

Just signed up today. Was mentioned yesterday on a whats app group and I think a few from the club have\are signing up as well. Happy to attend and for a great cause.

The man himself on the left of this photo:

347676.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I will be there!

Signed up for the 120k.
    Looks like I'll be marshaling on it now instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Signed myself and the young lad up to do the 50-60km Spin. Taking a group of youths around if anyone wants to join in. Got plenty of sound advice from Pat since joining McNally Swords in 2012 on his infamous 8.30am spin and the clubs Thurs spin. He certainly knows how to control a group ride. Got barked at a few times :) One of life's true gentlemen.

greenmat wrote: »
    Signed myself and the young lad up to do the 50-60km Spin. Taking a group of youths around if anyone wants to join in....
    Some of our intermediates had intended to do the 60k but I encouraged them to go for the 120k. They were a bit apprehensive but I think they'll be well able for it. The psychological effect of a large group will also bring them along.

Just signed up for the 120,looking forward to it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

This is shaping up to be a great event, and Saturday looks like the best day of the weekend

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/dublin/207931/weekend-weather/207931

Get on it lads. Support a great cause too.

GPX and KML files for both routes are here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_q-Ldc_MokDfmNQRGMwRVFRLU9IenBQYW9DLXlhYXppSG1KZmFhUlp6QklES3JxcGs2dVk&usp=sharing#list

They're on Ride with GPS too

120km
    50km

Did a recce of the route tonight in the car. Kudos to P and J for doing the markings - very helpful even at night!

Surface is generally fine but there is one very large pothole on the left side of the road near the exit onto the Duleek Road after the Pudden Hill area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Signed up to the 120km spin,looking forward to it.Weather looks to be dry and sunny forecast.

Weather looks good all right,anything has to be better than the rain today lol should be a good spin :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,757 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Today was definitely cricket weather (in Malahide anyway;)). Tommorow's going to be well-suited to cycling

Pretty sure anyone turning up tomorrow will be able to pay on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Beasty wrote: »
    Pretty sure anyone turning up tomorrow will be able to pay on the day

Can non CI members buy a day license tomorrow??
    I have 2 mates who wanted to do this too,but they ain't members of CI or IVCA.
    Thanks.

Note from the organisers...

Hi all,

The weather is looking good for tomorrow so this is just to let you know you can sign up for the Pat Halligan spin at the event in the morning. So far there are 150 people participating and we'd really like to reach the target of 200.

Best Regards

Friends of Pat Halligan Cycle on Saturday 9th May
    Route
    ​​: 50 Klm & 120 Klm

Sign on: Round Towers Lusk GAA Club from 8am onwards

First Group off at 9am

Did a recce of the route tonight in the car. Kudos to P and J for doing the markings - very helpful even at night!
    I saw some of the markings today!
    I may do only 109 km as that the point that it passes dangerously close to my house!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

bcmf wrote: »
    I saw some of the markings today!
    I may do only 109 km as that the point that it passes dangerously close to my house!

Cup of tea please and a gluten free scone for me, dont know about the rest.

Puggy wrote: »
    Cup of tea ..... gluten free scone
    Ya what now!
    Tae and gluten free...

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

bcmf wrote: »
    Ya what know!

Signed up. Be looking out for your house and hoping for a cuppa to tide me over to the finish.

Can non CI members buy a day license tomorrow??
    I have 2 mates who wanted to do this too,but they ain't members of CI or IVCA.
    Thanks.
    Sorry, but looking at the website CI or IVCA membership is required (for insurance purposes). Don't think they are doing 1 day licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

I can confirm that one day licences will be available tomorrow morning. Hope to see as many of you there as possible. This is an opportunity to look after one of our own.

• Advertisement

Puggy wrote: »
    Cup of tea please and a gluten free scone for me, dont know about the rest.
    Gluten free? Don't think you'll have much luck with that fancy stuff in the town of the knight!

Advertisement