Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marine Ply Coating

Options
  • 06-04-2015 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I've been replacing all the marine ply in the aft cockpit of my Freeman 33. It is an ex-hire boat and I reckon the boat spent years with no canopy over the aft cockpit. It has a canopy for the last 6 years or so but a lot of the ply resembled weetabix.
    I'm in the process of replacing the main panels with 12mm marine ply. I was advised to paint the backs of the panels to protect them so I painted them in exterior garden furniture paint, 2 coats.
    I would like to have the exterior surfaces painted in a nice varnished colour but a few people have said its a nightmare to keep. Can anyone advise a good durable coating for the ply that looks well and lasts better than varnish.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Your best bet would be to give it a few coats of epoxy resin and then a few coats of varnish, the epoxy will look good on it's own but hasn't as much UV protection as varnish. If you need to add extra strength to the ply you could also coat it in fiberglass cloth about 6oz will also give you a clear varnished look. The deck of my other boat was done this way I just stained it different shades to give a more mahogany look, it has lasted a good few years without having been redone. :)

007-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Thanks Fergal, I did a bit of research last night. Deks Olje gets good reviews but it seems that I would need to use the D1 and D2to protect it best.
    I also saw good reviews of Cetol Marine Natural Teak and this has been replaced by International Woodskin. It sounds like a good product.
    I've used epoxy a few times and it can be thick and difficult to spread. Is it possible to thin it to get better coverage?
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If you just mix small amounts at a time and then pour it into a larger tray it will stay thin enough to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭cricalix

A trick from my father was to warm up the resin (not the hardener) slightly in a water bath - makes it runnier. Then you're at the mercy of the hardener curing speed, and I've only ever seen the fast-cure West stuff in Ireland; in Barbados we had to use the slowest stuff, and it'd still set in 15 minutes.

Advertisement