Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blind runner not allowed run with guide in WMM

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

gerard_65 wrote: »

That is truly unbelievable. I'm really taken aback after reading that...
    Definitely deserves a thread of its own.
    Fcuking disgraceful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Daft decision from the WMM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

The WMM is acting in contravention of the Equal Status Acts - for the purpose of this run her guide would not be seen as a runner but rather as an aid. It is discriminatory not to allow her this aid. Disability is one of the nine protected grounds under the Equality legislation - very straightforward imo - she should talk to the Irish Human Rights & Equality Authority for advice on how to proceed

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Words fail me

• Advertisement

I think anyone thinking of doing that race should boycott it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

I'd imagine it'll be over-turned very quickly. Someone was told 'no male entries will be accepted' but didn't understand what a guide runner does. Already comments criticising the decision on the wwm facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Sickening. And ridiculous, when men run it in drag, etc. Are they even allowed to stop men entering?

annapr wrote: »
    Sickening. And ridiculous, when men run it in drag, etc. Are they even allowed to stop men entering?

Interesting question - gender discrimination - also one of the protected grounds !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Womens Mini Marathon limited is a company only concerned with generating money for DSDAC.
    The fact the event has taken on a life of it's own is down to the people who run it year on year and not the people with their eye on the bottom line...

They only see the euros adding up, which is surprising given they already bought that site on the bottom of the mountains two years back....

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/from-the-stands-dundrum-club-snap-up-bargain-new-home-29637648.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I was waiting for the annual 'can me run the WMM' thread but this is a bit different.
    Having seen how John and Sinead teamed up at the Donadea 50k, I am not surprised she deosn't want to run with another guide.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I was waiting for the annual 'can me run the WMM' thread but this is a bit different.
    Having seen how John and Sinead teamed up at the Donadea 50k, I am not surprised she deosn't want to run with another guide.

Agreed, and reading his blog about Donadea reinforces this

I'm genuinely disgusted by this.

I don't know what else to say really.

Would be interesting to see what the sponsors of the event think - no company likes to be associated with bad publicity

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The Facebook feed for the event has been bombarded with criticism over the last couple of hours. Wonder if they will have a change of heart by the morning?

robinph wrote: »
    The Facebook feed for the event has been bombarded with criticism over the last couple of hours. Wonder if they will have a change of heart by the morning?

If they have any sense they will - would have to do something special to sort this I would think

In a statement issued to The42 late Wednesday evening, the organisers of the Women’s Mini Marathon said:
    We are reviewing the individual case that has been flagged and we will do everything we can to find a solution that works for the athlete in question.
    Originally published at 8.40pm.

I'd tell them where to go if I was her.

Women, please tell your friends/family etc not to do this race.
    Stinks....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

It would be a hilariously bad decision if it weren't for the impact on the runner. Even in the paralympics blind female runners are permitted male guides.

Having done a bit of guiding I'm not entirely sure that I buy the need for an experienced guide but it's irrelevant as a guide is not generally considered to be a competitor and should automatically have been included.

I imagine that the organisers will claim that offering a female guide is a reasonable adjustment. It would be a misunderstanding of the reasonable adjustment guideline though IMO.

WMM need to very quickly take their finger out, say that they were wrong, apologise and rewrite their policy to ensure this kind of screw up never happens again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

kit3 wrote: »
    The WMM is acting in contravention of the Equal Status Acts - for the purpose of this run her guide would not be seen as a runner but rather as an aid. It is discriminatory not to allow her this aid. Disability is one of the nine protected grounds under the Equality legislation - very straightforward imo - she should talk to the Irish Human Rights & Equality Authority for advice on how to proceed

Doesn't apply in this case.
    However, under the rules of competition, Sinead is quite entitled to have a male guide if she so wishes. This will be overturned in the morning I'd imagine. They don't have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

joined the chorus of posts on the facebook page and sent in an email.

Far too early I think to talk about boycotting the race or complaining to sponsors, the organisers still have time to rethink their decision.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    joined the chorus of posts on the facebook page and sent in an email.

Far too early I think to talk about boycotting the race or complaining to sponsors, the organisers still have time to rethink their decision.

I've done the same.

I think that the talk of boycotting is if they don't reverse their decision. Which is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

In the spirit of the event it would be cool if a former winner could do the guiding instead of John. Assuming a former winner is available et cetera..

And in the spirit of all publicity being good publicity maybe it will help reduce the amount of dragsters as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Talk of boycotting such a large event is silly. It won't make any sort of difference, as they can fill their 40.000 slots with ease.

Bombarding the facebook page until the decision is reversed (which no doubt it will) is a far more productive way to deal with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Today fm at 9:15....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭plodder

Wow. That escalated quickly. The guide was interviewed in Morning Ireland just there, and made a good case. There seemed to be signs that the WMM were relenting, but he wants the rule changed rather than an exception made. I can understand where the WMM are coming from. They want to keep the women only vibe, which is what makes it unique. Every year, there are men on here, wanting to assist their girlfriends, partners etc. But, they should be more on top of what the sport already permits.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Peterx wrote: »
    In the spirit of the event it would be cool if a former winner could do the guiding instead of John.

It would be cooler if Sinead could have her regular guide guide her. By far the simplest solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Pherekydes wrote: »
    It would be cooler if Sinead could have her regular guide guide her. By far the simplest solution.

Yes of course.
    I do like the idea of a strong female role model doing the guiding in a woman's only event though.

Pherekydes wrote: »

+1 - if you read John O'Regan's blog about Donadea (can't link on the phone) there's quite a bit involved and they have this work already done in terms of trust, signals, knowing how each other works & what is needed. She shouldn't have to change guides just because he's male.

Peterx wrote: »
    Yes of course.
    I do like the idea of a strong female role model doing the guiding in a woman's only event though.

Sinead can be that strong female role model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,676 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What's the big deal? The race has rules, and the runner doesn't fit the rules. A replacement was offered. If so, then a female guide is needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement