Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supergirl [CW] - US pace - [**Spoilers**]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,352 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Emma Caulfield joins the cast as
    Cameron Chase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Have watched Episodes 1 and 2 now. So far holding my interest. They got straight down to business-she was flying quite quickly none of the protracted Smallville. Characterization is shallow but I think that standard on superhero shows. Though, I like the lead-plausible and type of person you would share a beer with. I expect more from Ms Lockhart ??(right spelling)

Just once though I would like to see some real family problems being dealt with on a show like this rather than surface ****

• Registered Users Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭squonk

I've only watched episode 1 and I thought it was only OK. Ally McBeel is still incredibly malnourished looking I see. The whole setup was pants. The minute she gets contacted by the FBI we find out it's her sister who's her handler... blech! Jimmy Olsen shows up. Bleck! The big baddy happens to be her aunt... puke!

Why friggin bother? I'd have been happier if there was less family associated stuff.

That being said, the acress is doing a fine job playing Supergirl. She keeps reminding me of Felicity Smoke from Arrow though. Too much girl power as well. I don't think anybody questioned supergirl's ability to fight criminals until she brought the subject up herself. I'll wathc Episode 2 later but I was starting to think it might be cancelled if it continues like the pilot I watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

They drop a lot of the overt "girl power" stuff in the second episode, and it's much more subtextual (which is good).

• Registered Users Posts: 60,352 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jimmy Olsen is getting annoying very quickly.

A CGI Superman..I wonder will they ever cast someone as Clark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

From the moment the Shield lite government agency turned up to explain the monster of the week plot format to her I knew Supergirl was on to a looser. This was only confirmed by the irritating and obligatory love triangle, will she pick the loveable nerd right under her nose or the hot, hotshot photographer that talks like a Halmark card? Everything is so painfully formulaic and dumb that no matter how charming and engaging Benoist is as Supergirl, the show will sink everybody's interest in her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

So far so good. I'm enjoying it. The evil aunt plot should be good.

We all know the end of course!
    Good girl saves earth and defeats black sheep of the family. .....sorry maybe that should have been a spoiler :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I enjoyed this weeks episode and thought there was some good character development. Cat Grant had some great one-liners and is one of the best things about the show. She provides good comic relief but is also driving the plot through her influence on Supergirl's actions.

I think the show has great potential but I admit that it is not without its flaws. The character of Winn really gets on my nerves, he comes across like a teenage kid, I can't take him seriously. I don't think the balance of Superman's inclusion is working. They can't ignore his existence but they also won't show him. I think the device of the two of them text messaging was clever. I think they need to address that Supergirl and Superman are going to work separately for now and then just drop him out of the show. Supergirl looks after anything that happens in National city and Superman looks after the rest. At least until she is ready for bigger missions.

Melissa Benoist continues to impress me and the show works best whenever she is on screen and interacting with the main characters. I liked Reactron and thought it was a great idea to have her beat someone that Superman had failed to beat.

It is still early days for the show. I am sure once the showrunners hear the feedback on what works and what doesn't they will start to make some changes but we won't see this for some time yet. But for now I'm enjoying it and hope it gets even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

not bad for a third episode- a few action sequences that were good and the leader of the governement agency seems to have a big secret. The presence of Flockhart and the interactions between the sisters, and between SG and the the two potential love interests have me associating this show with Ally McBeal, a show I hated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I think it is cast well apart from Calista Flockhart. Does that 90s era boss still exist in todays working world? Apart from that I am enjoying it.

Lets see how the numbers do and if they add any other guest stars in from Samllville, Lois and Clark, original Superman etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Lets see how the numbers do
    Week 1: 12.96 million viewers, with a 3.1, 18-49 rating.
    Week 2: 8.87 million viewers, with a 2.2, 18-49 rating (losing nearly a full ratings point from the premiere).
    Week 3: 8.07 million viewers, with a 1.7, 18-49 rating (losing another half point from the previous week).

The numbers are going in the wrong direction for success...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Week 2: 8.87 million viewers, with a 2.2, 18-49 rating (losing nearly a full ratings point from the premiere).
    Week 3: 8.07 million viewers, with a 1.7, 18-49 rating (losing another half point from the previous week).

I think it will balance out at around the 1.5 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

numbers nearly always drop off, itll settle around the 4-5million mark, maybe a 1.5 rating as present 1.3 said, problem is no matter how good it is, it probably wouldnt get much more than that, most superhero shows dont really pull in great ratings, thats why their more suited to smaller networks like the CW and that, the bigger networks demand to much,

its been pretty good so far, better than what i thought it would be, decent support cast also, which is always good to see, youd wonder if theyll expand it beyond that in the future, like most shows do, if this was on the CW id be happy and positive about its future, but its on CBS so im just gonna enjoy this season, and hope for the best,

Glad that they had Clark say that he won't interfere again.
    Obligatory love triangle, in any female lead show, is far more annoying than I imagined that it would be. Worse in that Benoist so clearly can carry this show on her own without the formulaic crap.
    I imagine that the drop off may be a male audience. Guys are more than ready to have a female led show but this drive for the magic formula to attract the Twilight crowd will kill that.

Is military lead
    Martian Manhunter
    ??

And "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"?? You could not even try to be a bit more subtle.

They have so much right but the ham fisted and jarring committee led aspects are killing a good show

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Next week Supergirl will have to face off against a bigger, badder, aunt called Zafira. This aunt has similar, but slightly greater power to Astra, and also possesses the ability to randomly burst into flames. :D

CBS has switched around the next two week’s episodes of “Supergirl” in the wake of Friday’s terrorist attacks in Paris because of plotlines that mirror the real-world violence. Tonight the fourth episode of Supergirl was due to be aired however the fifth episode is going to be shown instead. Episode four will be shown next week instead.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/supergirl-ncis-la-paris-terror-attacks-episodes-cbs-1201640992/

The main military guy's name is Hank Henshaw? Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

how much Vaseline do they put on the lens for ally mcbeal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

how much Vaseline do they put on the lens for ally mcbeal

Whatever she's doing - vaseline, botox, seaweed masks - it's working, she looks great! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This is muck. I'm a girl, it's my story, but I need help, but I don't want it, my story, I'm such a girl, help me, no don't help me, it's my story and I'm a girl, we need our friends, don't help me, I'm a girl and this is my story, but I have friends too, which help me but it's my story and I don't need help, but I do because my powers make no sense. Complete drivel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Think you might be taking it a tad too seriously. :pac: I'm enjoying it, it reminds me of the fun sci-fi adventures of the 90s. The love-triangle stuff is a bit sad haha, but other than that I've got good hopes for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,321 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Regarding the most recent episode. So remember kids if the power fails and some megalomaniac is burning down your building. Escape from them IN THE LIFT
    I could hear practically every fire safety officer face palming that move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Week 4: 7.77 million viewers, with a 1.8, 18-49 rating (up a tenth of a point from the previous week, but down 300,000 viewers).
    Week 5: 7.19 million viewers, with a 1.5, 18-49 rating (down three tenths of a point from the previous week, and down over half a million viewers).

Still on a downward trajectory.

I just watched the latest episode (actually the fourth episode but aired fifth) and I thought it was the best episode so far. We saw Cat as a caring mother. Got a few more glimpses of what Maxwell Lord is up to. A few more scenes showing Hank acting suspiciously. Some of the effects work was quite good, particularly Supergirl chasing and entering the train. I enjoyed Cat's speech about being able to have it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Whats the explanation for Superman not caring about any of whats going on?

Thargor wrote: »
    Whats the explanation for Superman not caring about any of whats going on?

It was discussed in episode three where James contacted Superman to bail Supergirl out when she was fighting Reactron. Kara wants to stand on her own two feet, to establish herself as a heroine and not constantly have to live in the shadow of Superman. So he has agreed with her that he will back off and not interfere but is still there for her if needs be.

As a plot point it allows her to operate without Superman but still allow the option to bring him back in. For now all the threats she has faced have been National City based, if she ever goes nationwide or worldwide then they can always link her up with Superman. I doubt this will happen any time soon because then they have the problem of establishing who Superman is, is he the Supreman from the movies or a new TV Superman.

They've done a really good job of not making you think (most of the time) on Arrow, "why don't they just call Barry?", so I hope they can do it here too. That said, it was a poor idea to have Superman still be around in this, imo. Have him be off in space searching for Krypton or something.

Wow - link URL is a spoiler itself, so don't hover if you don't want to know!

• Advertisement

Advertisement