Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supergirl [CW] - US pace - [**Spoilers**]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I mean the way they cast a "Hollywood Black Guy", straight from Central Casting, as the putative "love interest". If the producers had wanted to be genuinely daring in the casting diversity, they could have made Kara black, instead of what appears (to me) to be tokenism. I've seen a few recent shows that fall for similar clichés, so now it stands out like a sore thumb to me. Don't worry about it. :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Cliche to have a black cast member? Okay then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I did like the Eye Laser effects.

I think they keep mentioning her cousin as much as possible to win over Superman fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

bnt wrote: »
    I mean the way they cast a "Hollywood Black Guy", straight from Central Casting, as the putative "love interest". If the producers had wanted to be genuinely daring in the casting diversity, they could have made Kara black, instead of what appears (to me) to be tokenism. I've seen a few recent shows that fall for similar clichés, so now it stands out like a sore thumb to me. Don't worry about it. :o

Didn't feel like tokenism at all for me. I think you're being pretty cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Thought it was horrible. Boring, derivative, cheap and cheesy. I can't see this lasting very long.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Thought it was horrible. Boring, derivative, cheap and cheesy. I can't see this lasting very long.

Ha, while I disagree with your review of the show, there's plenty of TV shows that are like you describe and extremely popular, so I wouldn't draw any connections about it's longevity just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭Stark

But if she was black, her skin wouldn't be able to absorb as much radiation from the yellow sun and she'd only have crappy powers :(

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

they've already made Sup' a girl, can't stretch it too far

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I actually thought it was decent and will be definitely tuning in for the next episode they need to tone down the girl power ****e and just let her be the hero she is though,

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought Melisssa Benoist did a very good job and came across as endearing. I felt the rest of the show was pretty poor overall.

Very cartoonish two-dimensional villains with a family element thrown in for good measure, which is totally overdone on these types of shows (and it wasn't the only family plot twist on this show); the Jimmy Olsen cameo - and the Superman cameos in general - came across like they weren't confident enough that this could stand on its own two feet; and then you have the geeky guy who loves her, but she's not sure, but oh couldn't they possibly get together at some point...yadda yadda yadda. It's been done.

I reckon with a less than impressive lead this could have really bombed.

• Advertisement

Guys it was a pilot. Think Gotham or Agents

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Agents of shield is a good example. The first 13 episodes were very bland and mediocre. Compare that to what the show is now, which is excellent.

I like Melisssa Benoist a lot. And Chyler Leigh who plays her sister. They have two good actresses there in my opinion. But I'm just not sure they have the talent behind the camera to make this show work.

Could it improve over time? Of course it could. But this show wasnt cheap to make and I'm not sure it will get a second season in which to improve. I dont want to go all Richard Dower here but honestly, If the show survives I'll be amazed.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Very good second episode. Not sure how good it would be without Benoist, but I'm glad she's the lead.

It did absolutely massive numbers last week, so it will be interesting to see how many stick around for episode 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I really enjoyed this second episode and thought it was a great improvement over the pilot. I think the show is heading in the right direction.

The character of Cat Grant (Calista Flockhart) though still a tough, no bull boss, and a little over the top, was not as much of a cartoon 'mean girl' type this week. She now seems more believable as a character and as a role model. This week she has become more of a help to Supergirl rather than a hindrance. It is her advice that leads Supergirl to slow down and build up the public's trust.

Combining that idea with Alex's plans for Kara to start training is a very interesting angle. I always felt that the biggest problem with Superman was that his powers were almost unlimited and he had no weakness. There is no tension or fear when the character is invincible. With Kara having to figure out how to control her powers so as not to damage humans and the human world while simultaeously learning how to fight aliens with powers similar to her own, makes her both dangerous and vulnerable. This is a great opportunity for character development. She doesn't start out being a hero she becomes one over time. It makes her more relateable, even though she has these powers. Despite all her abilities she still has to overcome all the personality or psychological weaknesses that that us regular people have.

I like the portrayal of James Olsen in this show in a more mature way. It gives his character some gravitas and could make him a kind of mentor to Supergirl. He is someone with a lot of experience of interacting with a superhero and understands how to keep their secret. He is not the annoying child-like geek of Jimmy.

I am however concerned by the seeming romance developing between Kara and James. I think this is a bad move. It's like they are trying to shoehorn a love story into a show that doesn't need it and I feel that this weakens the character of Kara. In my opinion this show should be about Kara deciding to take control of her life and using her abilities to make a difference to the world. It should be the story of her development into a strong and respected character. Introducing a love interest this early just seems to weaken her. It plays too much into the notion that a woman's primary goal is to get herself a good man, all else is secondary. Kara is a character who has decided to take on a far more altruistic path. To put the needs of others above hers. Sure, once she is established as a respected superhero in her city and is actively improving it, there is plenty of scope to develop her personality outside of her chosen career path and bring in a relationship. But for now it seems like a cop out, well we can't have a pretty girl not go all weak at the knees for a big handsome man now, can we? If the character was male he would be putting aside women for the good of the city, in fact women would be seen as a weakness that distracts him from his important work.

Melissa Benoist is really the stand out of this show. On a physical level she is a great choice. She is beautiful but still has that elusive girl next door quality about her. She looks like a real girl, not some unrelateable supermodel. To be Superman you have to have the muscled physique to fill out that Superman costume and to be Supergirl you have to have that toned physique to fill out the costume too. Again she is believably proportioned like a fit, healthy, real woman not a hyper skinny, bouncy boobed, cartoon suerheroine. The costume itself is also well designed, it is flattering, functional, attractive and not distractingly skimpy. I'm all in favour of a woman in a sexy revealing outfit but Supergirl is a hero and a role model not a sex object.

Benoist plays her dual role very well. As Kara she is believable as a slightly dorky, normal, kind hearted girl who is slightly lacking in confidence. While as Supergirl she still shows that same vulnerability while portraying the self-confidence needed to be taken seriously.

I'm still undecided on Henshaw. He comes across as a nasty, unsympathetic character who is prejudiced against Kara just because she is an alien. He shows her no respect or courtesy and is openly hostile towards her. I was expecting that he would start to warm to her and eventually show that he was being tough on her for her own good. But seeing as how his eyes glow red (always a bad sign), I'm not so sure anymore.

Unfortunately the bad guys and villain of the week parts of the story are very weak and completely run of the mill, with a lot of woeful over the top soap opera style acting and dialogue. I don't mind that too much as long as Supergirl and her supporting players are likeable and are developing. I will be watching this show to see what happens to Kara, Alex, James and Cat. That's what matters.

I almost forgot Kara's friend Winn. He has left very little impression on me, he seems like a mildly entertaining bit of comic relief.

Lastly, I liked the reference to Richard Donner, the director of Superman The Movie, with the line 'Ambulance caught in traffic on Donner Avenue.'

• Registered Users Posts: 60,362 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Benoist is just so damm lovely and likable in the role.

I think you would have to watch that episode a few times to catch all the Easter eggs hidden in it.

A guess that Henshaw
    Martian Manhunter

Benoist is just so damm lovely and likable in the role.

I think you would have to watch that episode a few times to catch all the Easter eggs hidden in it.

A guess that Henshaw
    Martian Manhunter

I'd love to see Martian Manhunter on screen again, but I'm guessing there's only one way to go with a character called Hank Henshaw, Cyborg Superman.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,362 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That is a big drop alright.

No Big Bang lead in was going to hurt.

It had huge DVR numbers last week as well so I'd wait to see how they look when released later in the week.

I watch it on CBS all Access I wonder what numbers they add when everything is added up later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

An ok second episode on a par with the latest batch of super hero shows Shield, arrow and the flash. Benoist is an excellent lead and I enjy her interaction ith Jimmy and the other friend. The Government guys are just annoying. As she acknowledged herself Superman doesn't need to work with any government agents.
    She looks so like Felicity Smoak, it can be distracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Mr E wrote: »
    It did absolutely massive numbers last week, so it will be interesting to see how many stick around for episode 2.
    A 3.1 is good, but not massive numbers. Empire and The Walking Dead get massive numbers.
    It had huge DVR numbers last week as well so I'd wait to see how they look when released later in the week.

I watch it on CBS all Access I wonder what numbers they add when everything is added up later in the week.
    All that matters is the 18-49 rating. Total viewers do not matter. DVR numbers are not much, if any, of a factor in renewing a show.

• Advertisement

Do they really have to do the whole girl with two guys fawning over her thing.

The beefcake and the nerdy friend. Twilight or Hunger Games esque.
    I'm not against her having romantic interest though, I mean Clark immediately falls for Lois. Just don't have "the right guy" in front of her and friendzoned kinda crap

A recent post and its replies have been deleted. Not appropriate for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,342 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Do they really have to do the whole girl with two guys fawning over her thing.

The beefcake and the nerdy friend. Twilight or Hunger Games esque.
    I'm not against her having romantic interest though, I mean Clark immediately falls for Lois. Just don't have "the right guy" in front of her and friendzoned kinda crap

Both guys don't suit her imo

I'd quite enjoy it if Winn became a villain who was driven to it by being friend-zoned. Perhaps he could be a gamergater too whilst he's at it.

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'd quite enjoy it if Winn became a villain who was driven to it by being friend-zoned. Perhaps he could be a gamergater too whilst he's at it.
    Winn is Winslow Schott, aka Toy Man. Expect villainous behaviour down the line.

Winn is Winslow Schott, aka Toy Man. Expect villainous behaviour down the line.

Yeah but
    they've cast Henry Czerny (a great 'oh THAT guy' actor) as his father, Winslow Schott Sr and Toy Man. I guess they'll leave it ambiguous as to whether Winn will take up the mantle, Tommy Merlyn style..

MJohnston wrote: »
    Yeah but
    they've cast Henry Czerny (a great 'oh THAT guy' actor) as his father, Winslow Schott Sr and Toy Man. I guess they'll leave it ambiguous as to whether Winn will take up the mantle, Tommy Merlyn style..

Ooh cool, didn't know that!

One thing is that they need to tighten the merge/edit during wirework. Very jarring and noticeable transitions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

She has her own version of the Fortress of Solitude....way to go!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

The best part for me was listening to the news reports about Supergirl and wondering if Perd was holding his microphone or not.

Advertisement