Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joe Duffy bmw - bit of a mess !

• 03-03-2015 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭

called in to have a look while in capital. not sure if they are biggest selling bmw but definitely most hi profile . i know they arent in a posh area and lost a big part of their forecourt during roadworks but is it just me or are their premises a bit of a shambles?
    their showrooms are fairly impressive but the rest of the site is cramped and not at all attractive , none of the feelgood factor you get at most bmw dealers .

they have a huge compound opposite which is a bit of an eyesore and part of it could be used to make the dealership bigger and more attractive

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

The premises underwent a pretty extensive overhaul not that long ago if I remember correctly. The compound to the side is definitely something that needs to be looked at. It probably needs to be resurfaced but the costs of that would be astronomical.

Not sure I'd call it a shambles though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭mossy50

a SHOWER OF COWBOYS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe you can ring the other Joe Duffy about it?

"The state of the place Joe, disgrace!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Are you buying a car or building a house beside it ? :confused:

listermint wrote: »
    Are you buying a car or building a house beside it ? :confused:

It's the same people who complain that dealers aren't flashy enough and their premises aren't attractive enough, who also complain that the dealer won't knock €3k off the list price or give them a low value on their trade in.

You can't win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭freddieot

Bought a new car there recently. They were giving me the best deal on my trade-in and they were a good crew to deal with.

Can't say I gave sh**e about what was accross the yard \ road.

It might not be in the poshest location but that showroom is one of the handiest to get to as it is just a few hundred yards from an M50 Exit so I suppose a lot of posh people can still manage to get there easily enough :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

goochy wrote: »
    their showrooms are fairly impressive but the rest of the site is cramped and not at all attractive , none of the feelgood factor you get at most bmw dealers .

I'm genuinely not sure if you're serious or taking the piss. You sound like Ross O'Carroll-Kelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Nope not interested in using them.

I know I didn't spend 120k in there but I have tested the water and I will not be back.

Went in there looking at cars got very little help.

Brought the car there to have money spent on it.
    Car was left with over 1/2 tank of petrol got it back with zero range.
    And it was used to ferry people home.

I was treated like an outcast because I don't wear a suit basically.

Sure the big lot next to it is a problem but not a deal breaker.
    Customer service level is a deal breaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

Service dept not great either .My brother left a 2010 320 in with them and they did not follow tasks-then told him to " book it in again" .He got far better attention from murphy and gunn in rathgar and at cheaper price too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Service dept not great either .My brother left a 2010 320 in with them and they did not follow tasks-then told him to " book it in again" .He got far better attention from murphy and gunn in rathgar and at cheaper price too.

I found Joe Duffy's service department to be excellent - used them for years. Used Murphy and Gunn once and never went back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭goochy

i dont want to build a house beside them and i know the deal and customer service are the most important thing when buying a car but at this end of the market you expect certain standards kearys my local bmw dealer probably dont sell a many cars as joe duffys but its a really nice place to buy a car - real feelgood factor. the fact that joe duffys is owned by a uk company and run in ireland by a scot makes it more surprising , you expect ' sure it will be grand' attitude in ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭Elessar

The general poor quality of customer service from dealers in Dublin is why I travel to Belfast (where I bought my 3 series) to get any work done.

It's the little things. For example the mechanism in one of the cupholders in my car stopped working and so I rang Joe Duffys to get a price for a replacement. I was told it wasn't covered under the extended warranty and it would cost €90 (or thereabouts). I was all prepared to pay when I rang my belfast dealer to get a price off them - first thing the man said was "oh you're under the extended warranty, let me see if BMW will do anything for you". The next day I get a call to be told BMW will replace it free of charge as a goodwill gesture. Needless to say, I went to Belfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭freddieot

Owned by a UK company, run by a scot...............

You seem to know an awful lot about them for someone with no interest in buying a car there because of the ambiance...

I've gone into several dealers and not liked the decor or the plot on the other side of the street, but I have not taken the trouble to start posting about it and researching the Company ownership and the nationality of the Management. It's starting to sound a bit like you have another agenda here, apologies if I'm wrong but that's now the way it seems to me

no agenda at all just dont like low standards you come accross all through irish life. Havent researched anything , i work in the motor industry ( not cars) and would be aware of who owns what and whos in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Elessar wrote: »
    The general poor quality of customer service from dealers in Dublin is why I travel to Belfast (where I bought my 3 series) to get any work done.

It's the little things. For example the mechanism in one of the cupholders in my car stopped working and so I rang Joe Duffys to get a price for a replacement. I was told it wasn't covered under the extended warranty and it would cost €90 (or thereabouts). I was all prepared to pay when I rang my belfast dealer to get a price off them - first thing the man said was "oh you're under the extended warranty, let me see if BMW will do anything for you". The next day I get a call to be told BMW will replace it free of charge as a goodwill gesture. Needless to say, I went to Belfast.

You drove from Dublin to Belfast over €90?

You are clearly a person of principle rather than logic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

you could have both ? enough people stick to principle and go north - they should improve

and they have cake :

How is it illogical? You would prefer to fork out that much money over a 90 min drive?

And yes, it is the principle of the fact that those with the best customer service get my business. I'm voting with my feet (and saving money in the process), something many people don't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cen taurus

How is it illogical? You would prefer to fork out that much money over a 90 min drive?

And yes, it is the principle of the fact that those with the best customer service get my business. I'm voting with my feet (and saving money in the process), something many people don't do.

I would too, rather than hand it over to some fleece over merchant trying to extort people.
    No wonder it's called the rip off republic. Easy marks.

freddieot wrote: »
    Owned by a UK company, run by a scot...............

You seem to know an awful lot about them for someone with no interest in buying a car there because of the ambiance...

I've gone into several dealers and not liked the decor or the plot on the other side of the street, but I have not taken the trouble to start posting about it and researching the Company ownership and the nationality of the Management. It's starting to sound a bit like you have another agenda here, apologies if I'm wrong but that's now the way it seems to me

With respect, a quick look at the joe Duffy website reveals who runs it.

Duffys are essentially running their irish businesses based on the UK model, and they seem to be doing a damn successful job of it.

if they were running it on the uk model the place wouldnt look so shabby ! though bmw ireland is run through bmw gb so that doesnt say much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DraganGTD

I also bring my car to Cookstown in NI to a well known Vw dealer there from 2009.

Also used their curtsy car once free of charged and now after so many years with them I am valued customer that all my future service and additional work has good bit of discount that it is hardly matched here.

The most what I like is that when I am there I always see same ppl working from the cleaner to the manager, not like here ppl are changing every few months lol

ellesar the fact that you bought your car in belfast explains why bavarian were willing help you out and joe duffys were not. i know you could have been a potential customer of duffys but when i worked in car dealers many years ago we were discouraged from going above the call of duty for plp who didnt buy from us.i can see where the dealers are coming from in many ways , if you didnt want to buy your car from them why should they give you the same service as someone who did. i remember where i worked if someone had bought a new alfa from say Des cullen cars and had come in about servicing / warranty work the boss would say dont help that person( dont book them in for any time soon) as des cullen buys his cars elsewhere. ( we were very busy at time so could turn away work)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Theanswers

ellesar the fact that you bought your car in belfast explains why bavarian were willing help you out and joe duffys were not. i know you could have been a potential customer of duffys but when i worked in car dealers many years ago we were discouraged from going above the call of duty for plp who didnt buy from us.i can see where the dealers are coming from in many ways , if you didnt want to buy your car from them why should they give you the same service as someone who did. i remember where i worked if someone had bought a new alfa from say Des cullen cars and had come in about servicing / warranty work the boss would say dont help that person( dont book them in for any time soon) as des cullen buys his cars elsewhere. ( we were very busy at time so could turn away work)

That's the thing about southern dealers. It's a very narrow minded approach.

I have dealt with both northern and southern dealers, the north 'experience' is by and a far miles ahead in terms of price, (Sales REP/ Service) individuals knowledge of the brand and in general choice.

Furthermore, the northern dealers dont look at your car and say 'oh you bought your car in the south, i don't want to see it' whereas southern dealer think that about northern cars. It will finish them (Southern) yet, if the euro ever gets stronger.

Yeah I guess you're right. But it has only served to make me not want to buy from or deal with joe duffys. It's a very narrow minded approach.

DraganGTD wrote: »
    I also bring my car to Cookstown in NI to a well known Vw dealer there from 2009.

Also used their curtsy car once free of charged and now after so many years with them I am valued customer that all my future service and additional work has good bit of discount that it is hardly matched here.

The most what I like is that when I am there I always see same ppl working from the cleaner to the manager, not like here ppl are changing every few months lol

That is your decision and it obviously works for you.

Where I was coming from with my post was:

A round trip to Belfast including waiting to get your car fixed means:
    1. A day off work
    2. About €30 in fuel

So effectively the poster I replied to was giving up a working day to save €60 on getting their car fixed.

Now, think of it this way: Speaking personally, if someone said to me:

"I'll give you €60 to take the day off work next Tuesday and bring my car to Belfast, wait for it to get fixed and then bring it back to me"

I would be telling them to f*ck off unless the car in question was something pretty exotic to say the least :pac:

The phrase "cutting your nose off to spite your face" comes to mind ;)

This is a very good point. I wonder if the roles were reversed and the poster in question was a regular customer of Joe Duffy's would the response have been different?

It is worth bearing in mind that the cupholder issue was not actually covered within the scope of the extended warranty and was only covered by BMW as a goodwill gesture by the dealer who had done all the previous service work on the car.

it most be a bit of a hassle for the poor souls driving massers and ferraris having to go to belfast for servicing / repairs , but suppose most of those guys/ gals are self employed so its a bit easier but still not ideal. always find charles hursts service yard more interesting the showroom stock , always plenty of ROI exotica of all ages !:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lancaster7

Joe Duffy have recently received over 800€ from me for a service, 3 weeks later I am filling the water for the wipers and have a look at the oil filter, which is the old one that should have been replaced. Now it is on the bill I paid as one of the service items but is clearly not been changed.

Is this acceptable? No it is not and they are going to have a very pissed customer in with them this week! I have been dealing with them for quite a while and as usual have been let down, we had issues with a car previously that ended up being sorted FOC by Colm Quinn in Athlone and I will be going back there in future even though I pass Duffys twice a day. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Lancaster7 wrote: »
    Joe Duffy have recently received over 800€ from me for a service, 3 weeks later I am filling the water for the wipers and have a look at the oil filter, which is the old one that should have been replaced. Now it is on the bill I paid as one of the service items but is clearly not been changed.

Is this acceptable? No it is not and they are going to have a very pissed customer in with them this week! I have been dealing with them for quite a while and as usual have been let down, we had issues with a car previously that ended up being sorted FOC by Colm Quinn in Athlone and I will be going back there in future even though I pass Duffys twice a day. :(

Are you sure you're not looking at the oil filter housing? The oil filter itself is inside this housing, underneath the cap...

• Advertisement

Which car is it? Are you sure you're looking at the actual oil filter...?

Not filling the wipers with water and washer fluid is surprising however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

166man wrote: »
    With respect, a quick look at the joe Duffy website reveals who runs it.

My understanding was that FGS (auditing firm) went in as receivers and ended up buying the company (quite common) a few years back.

I've not looked at the company website, but I've looked up the CRO and listed Directors confirms this.

Let us know what happens when you go in all guns blazing and make a fool out of yourself ;)

Let us know what happens when you go in all guns blazing and make a fool out of yourself ;)

Surprised at your response George, considering you are in the trade and have been more than helpful to me in the past both over the phone and in person.

I know my way around an engine bay and know what an oil filter looks like, and had marked parts before dropping it in for the work. It was a fairly hefty Service 2 that had to be done and I wanted to keep the car in the condition that the previous owner had with stacks of receipts for all work carried out.

I wont go in shouting the house down but they will know that I am a disgruntle customer who has lost faith their repeated shoddy workmanship.

Prehaps I should have taken a day off work driven 1/2 way across the countryside to your premises and have nothing to complain about?

Maybe I'm wrong but I can't think of a single BMW made since the early 90's that doesn't use a paper element type oil filter, which obviously can't be seen as it is inside the oil filter housing.

I would be amazed if any garage didn't change an oil filter that was charged for, let alone a main dealer.

What model/year/engine are we talking about here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Maybe I'm wrong but I can't think of a single BMW made since the early 90's that doesn't use a paper element type oil filter, which obviously can't be seen as it is inside the oil filter housing.

I would be amazed if any garage didn't change an oil filter that was charged for, let alone a main dealer.

Same here :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

No wonder Alfa Romeo are almost out of the car game if that was an acceptable practice at one of their dealers.

Basically you are writing of someone who didn't deal with you for the original sale as a future customer - INSPITE of they actually now for some reason actually booking the car in for a service.

Everyone booking a car in - needs to be seen as a valued customer - the reality is that THEY ARE YOUR customer when they've booked in for a service.

You lost the original sale - now you have an opportunity - by offering good service - being very helpful - why not work to create a situation where the customer actually has a good impression of your business.

It may be for example - that the sale was originally lost because one of your sales colleagues was ignorant to the customer when they called in to discuss a purchase. It happens

It may also be that they bought from another garage - but that garages aftersales service was poor - THAT ALSO happens.

Any garage operating a policy - unofficial or officially - like you describe - should really do the world a favour and shut up shop.

It costs the business money you may argue - ie why waste money on that customer.

Really - well - the car coming for servicing - is actually BRINGING IN money, the warranty aspect will be covered by the manufacturer.

If the manufacturer isn't paying enough - that's not really the customers fault - and needs to be taken up by the dealer bosses with the manufacturer.

And the customer MAY just buy a car from you IF your service is excellent.

Im sure someone will tell me im wrong - do feel free to argue where im wrong.

i agree with u but dealers do lose money at times on warranty work . there could be many reasons for someone buying elsewhere - some country go back home to buy new cars

Its a motorbike :) I give it a clean every weekend after the weeks commute. The 2 cars both get a once over too.

Just back from the dealers who acknowledged the "error" and offered to replace the filter FOC!

Its a motorbike :) I give it a clean every weekend after the weeks commute. The 2 cars both get a once over too.

Just back from the dealers who acknowledged the "error" and offered to replace the filter FOC!

Apologies! You know what they say about assumptions :o

Apologies! You know what they say about assumptions :o

:)

Still a bit bitter myself, they sell you the whole ethos and experience of owning a marque and let you down so often.

I also have a minty clean e39 that only goes to a mate and former BMW mechanic who gives me back a box with the parts he replaces, saved him on getting rid of them but gives me peace of mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

i agree with u but dealers do lose money at times on warranty work . there could be many reasons for someone buying elsewhere - some country go back home to buy new cars

I did acknowledge the possibility that dealers may not get enough for warranty work - but - as i said - that's an issue for the dealer bosses to take up with the manufacturer.

Would i be right in thinking the issue is manufacturers not allowing enough time for the job.

ie the manufacturer says a particular part on model x with 1.6 petrol will take 2.5 hours so will pay on warranty for 2.5 hours.

But in reality in the workshop - the job actually takes 3.5 hours - so you lose the payment of an hours work?????

Or is the hourly rate the issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭Wossack

particularly poor reports from other bmw bikers about JD alright - bit shocking to be honest

:)

Still a bit bitter myself, they sell you the whole ethos and experience of owning a marque and let you down so often.

I also have a minty clean e39 that only goes to a mate and former BMW mechanic who gives me back a box with the parts he replaces, saved him on getting rid of them but gives me peace of mind!

I only hear negative things about JD in relation to Bike servicing.

Also negative things in general about BMW Bikes specifically the many variants of the GS.

I was all set to buy one, but I wont be giving them my cash. There is far more out there for your money with vastly superior reliability and no need for various recalls in its life cycle.

Shame , they are a good looking and feeling bike.

did the state of jd's put u off as well ?

No I set my expectations no customer service rather than how clean the back lot is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

coolisin wrote: »
    Nope not interested in using them.

I know I didn't spend 120k in there but I have tested the water and I will not be back.

Did you kick any tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Tecking Fypo

Your motorbike has screenwash and wipers?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Tecking Fypo

Joe Duffy BMW and your dealer in NI would be submitting claims for goodwill to seperate BMW Warranty departments who operate vastly differing policies on goodwill believe it or not.
    On a separate note, is it only in the motor trade that a warranty or extended warranty which has a clearly defined expiry date, is expected to be honoured long after this expiry date has passed? I find it very odd myself that customers use the old line, "shur its only a year out of warranty, surely its covered"?

In my experience BMW are the leading manufacturer with regard to offering goodwill on failed items outside of their warranty period.

• Advertisement
Advertisement