Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beat this: Dublin Bus stop game

Options
  • 17-02-2015 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭

What's the closest stop you can find on the same route !
    2 stops 136 Meters apart on McKee Road

Bonus points for a combo

My 3 stop 540m apart on Ballymun road is a poor effort though

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,583 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That's easy. The two stops on Upper Rathmines Road either side of Church Avenue on the 140.

The one closest to the City was installed to facilitate route 14a services operating via Palmerston Road some years ago but was never removed when that route alignment was withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

First few stops southbound on the 123 from Griffith Avenue are only a few metres apart. Also route 14/16 have two stops less than 150 metres apart on Beaumont Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Drimnagh road stop 2099 and 2101, a massive 115 meters apart

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Any thoughts on 'longest distance between 2 stops' lxflyer?

I nominate the 70 route to start with, from the stop at Blanchardstown village slip road to the next stop at Littlepace is 6.1K according to goggle maps.
    Anything better on a standard route?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭recyclops

7 route, johnstown church to the graduate, 3 stops distance of 397 metres to the 4th stop on the route its a total of

611 metres :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

if your on the 45a and same length of road its 5 stops in 880 metres of road

• Advertisement

Any thoughts on 'longest distance between 2 stops' lxflyer?

I nominate the 70 route to start with, from the stop at Blanchardstown village slip road to the next stop at Littlepace is 6.1K according to goggle maps.
    Anything better on a standard route?

The 65 South of Blessington.

The distance between those two stops on Upper Rathmines Road is 70m btw - unbeatable I would suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

The two southbound stops either side of Military Road in Rathmines are a mammoth 110 metres apart. The same buses serve both stops, it's not that any new routes join up, or that they split after the first stop. If you carry on southbound through Rathmines you have the one at Aldi giving you 3 stops in 280 metres, then the next one outside of the Swan Centre which is 4 stops in 500 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

The entire 150 route is just a disaster. On Whitehall Road West going towards Rossmore there is two in probably the space of 20-30 metres. Also 3 bus stops in Crumlin Village on the way in to town. It's just an awful route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

27a McAuley Park has two stops head to Bluden Drive. Always amazed at people requesting the second stop after the first one has been used.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I thought the just under 200m between two stops on the 67 in Maynooth was excessive...

There needs to a be an axe taken to stops, even if it involves replacing shelters etc at new stop sites created as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Obviously lxflyer wins, but the stops outside Kempton on the Navan Rd inbound are very close, looks like about 95m.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Distance between the first two stops on the 15 northbound is just over 100m. This is down to the old 74 route being replaced by the 15 and the terminus moved while the second stop remained in place.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Route 123, stop 1493 and 1482, Griffith Avenue, 100 meters.

Properly measure the distance with Google Maps here:
    http://www.maps.ie/distance-area-calculator.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

When you're cycling some strange thoughts do occur. Such as could the all Ireland puc fada champion go around a db route with less lifts than stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

4 stops on Dorset Street in 450m (from the Big Tree to the last stop before North Fredrick Street) is worthy of a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

3955 and 3956 are 140m apart according to Google. 66/a/b on the approach from Dublin into Leixlip.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bray Head

I once mailed DB asking them why there are so many stops in Dublin. I have never seen it in any other city.

I got the following reply. Apparently it's nothing to do with them at all!
    The location of bus stops are determined by the local authority and An Garda Síochána and must meet a range of safety criteria so in many cases there may not be a uniform distance between stops. The number of stops is to ensure greater ease of access to customers who may not be able to cover long distances by foot.
    Can anyone shed any light as to whether this is true? Does the NTA have any role now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

The number of stops is to ensure greater ease of access to customers who may not be able to cover long distances by foot

Fine so paint half the stops red and call them off peak stops. Between 7 and 10 and 4 and 7 these stops won't be serviced let those of those who have work to get to do so in a timely fashion. The auld dears who fancy popping into town for a look around can wait till 10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

bk wrote: »
    Route 123, stop 1493 and 1482, Griffith Avenue, 100 meters.

Properly measure the distance with Google Maps here:
    http://www.maps.ie/distance-area-calculator.html

Croydon garden is stupid close to stop 1482 too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

lxflyer wrote: »
    The 65 South of Blessington.

While Church Avenue in Rathmines has the shortest, I have a probable winner for the longest and a runner up for the shortest distance between stops. Bizarrely enough, they are the next stops to each other as well.

Two stops on the Holywell Distributor Road, namely 6310 and 6311 are a mere 110 metres from each other. Get on a 142 here and your next stop leaves you at the 3Arena via the M1 and Port Tunnel, a spin of 13.3KM without a stop in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Stop 1946 (Bulfin Road) to stop 1947 (Camac Close) on Emmet Road Inchicore, according to my rough measurement on Google maps is 120m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Bray Head wrote: »
    I once mailed DB asking them why there are so many stops in Dublin. I have never seen it in any other city.

I got the following reply. Apparently it's nothing to do with them at all!

Can anyone shed any light as to whether this is true? Does the NTA have any role now?

The responsibility of bus stop locations transferred to the NTA last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The bus stop beside the black church for the 4, 9, and 13 is pretty close to one at broadstone

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

136 Meters
    cdebru wrote: »
    115 meters
    bk wrote: »
    100 meters
    Did I miss the memo about Ireland having adopted American spelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Two stops on Harolds Cross road citybound at the Terenure end are literally a stones throw from each other imo. The first just after the NCBI shop and the next at the Berlin Wall

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

etchyed wrote: »

Just be thankful we don't use feet and inches!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

lxflyer wrote: »
    The distance between those two stops on Upper Rathmines Road is 70m btw - unbeatable I would suggest.

First two stops on the 123 including the terminus northbound is 49m on Google Maps (Stops 6057 and 2183)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Two by the park in Lower Ballyfermot are 140 metres apart. The 40 does this route

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

etchyed wrote: »

Indeed you must have missed it, both spellings are used in Ireland interchangeably, including in legislation and statutory instruments, so you can use either in this country, but well done on your contribution.

Advertisement