Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sex education from the religious. What could possibly go wrong?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Nodin wrote: »
    Goes back before that, but that's the one usually referenced.
    It's no the "extended summary" I was thinking of, but yes, I suppose Human Vitae is the master document for most of the Vatican's current thinking on the topic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

robindch wrote: »
    Originally Posted by A Reader
    Sex ed in my Irish, Catholic girls school - there wasn't any. None. Nothing. Those pages of the religion book were always glued together.
    An organic based glue I'd guess.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    An organic based glue I'd guess.
    Was thinking much the same myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Neyite wrote: »
    Women got churched after a baby, because despite being married, catholic and conceived within the parameters of what was a holy and sacred union, she somehow picked up a sin related to it during the birth and needed to undergo a blessing before she could go back to mass and take communion.

Well my missus has just had a baby, and it is basically a fisting and fingering free for all it has to be said:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Is it still this bad though? Have we moved on at all to a stage where this stuff is taken seriously and is properly dealt with? It would be nice to think that at least some schools have moved into the 21st century.

It's still bad. 2014 my 12yr old in 6th class had sex ed. Parents attended a pre-talk talk where they could veto any topic. Parents also present on the night, to what was essentially a very basic biology class. I couldn't believe they hadn't covered it all in science! Nothing whatsoever about relationships, except that IDEALLY everything should happen within marriage (we're a single parent family so what's that telling my son...). The female biology part dealing with periods was very iffy about tampons - 'talk to your parents about it'!!!! Not the slightest mention of homosexuality.
    Spent the drive home undoing that crap and explaining what a bad idea getting married before sex would be. Ludicrous evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

People were utterly shocked that we teach our children the correct names for their body parts. I don't get it, why on earth would we want them referring to vulva or a penis by some makey-uppy euphemism and then have to tell them THE REAL TRUTH ABOUT WHAT THEY ARE CALLED!!11!!!111 when they suddenly hit puberty? I want those terms to be totally normal for them so we are able to naturally move on to more detailed age appropriate topics as the time goes on. I don't understand why parents think any type of ignorance around topics to do with sex is a good thing. It simply leaves it to others to fill in the gaps for your children, often with complete nonsense that leaves them open to all sorts of questions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,221 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

smacl wrote: »
    So all the married couples go into a room, put their car keys in a bowl.... :pac:

'Do you have your loyalty card?'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

A priest came to talk to a group of boys in my school - the year ahead of me but I heard the story. He told them about how ineffective the "withdrawal" method of contraception was, and went into the biological reasons about why this was the case, how there is a "pre-ejaculate" that comes out before the main event that still contains sperm etc....and how not having sex at all was the only safe option.

The priest´s name? Fr Michael Cleary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

fisgon wrote: »
    how there is a "pre-ejaculate" that comes out before the main event that still contains sperm etc....and how not having sex at all was the only safe option.

Well....he should know :-/

Advertisement