Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I believe I am a racist. What next?

Options
  • 27-11-2014 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

Today i was invited to lunch in a restaurant I like a lot by a workmate. He also mentioned another chap who is foreign was coming. The problem is the foreign fellow has a very heavy accent (his english is decent) and I have difficulty understanding him .

So I refused and ate alone soley on the basis I'd be awkward for the hour making conversation with this lad .
    The foreign lad is a decent chap so it's not that I don't like him.

Since I refused to go to lunch soley based on his accent (but that is based on his race and where he is from) I made a racist decision. Therefore I believe I am now a racist.

Based on previous AH threads - I know that all incidents of racism are equal and we can't distingush between them. So I can't pass this off as a minor event.

What should I do next?
    Tell me AH.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Staplor

I think you are just lazy and can't be arsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Everyone is racist on some level OP don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Eh carry on with your life? Who cares

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Today i was invited to lunch in a restaurant I like a lot by a workmate. He also mentioned another chap who is foreign was coming. The problem is the foreign fellow has a very heavy accent (his english is decent) and I have difficulty understanding him .

So I refused and ate alone soley on the basis I'd be awkward for the hour making conversation with this lad .
    The foreign lad is a decent chap so it's not that I don't like him.

Since I refused to go to lunch soley based on his accent (but that is based on his race and where he is from) I made a racist decision. Therefore I believe I am now a racist.

Based on previous AH threads - I know that all incidents of racism are equal and we can't distingush between them. So I can't pass this off as a minor event.

What should I do next?
    Tell me AH.

Flog yourself 100 times and then post the video here. At that point you will be cured.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Xenophobic, rather than racist, going by that description.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

What did you have for lunch OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Learn to speak his mother tongue and take him out for lunch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Celebrate good times?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Buy a plantation , buy slaves , whip them for entertainment...speak in a southern American accent , grow a ridiculas mustache, sign up to the KKK , encourage white power , sing anthems for the cause.

Kidnap Kane West , bring him to said plantation , put him into the sun pit and make him the house ******.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

An File wrote: »
    Xenophobic, rather than racist, going by that description.

doesn't have the same sense of grandure tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Can I have Kanye West when you've finished with him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Had the same problem with a colleague from Ballybay many years ago. Eventually, we managed to tune in to each other's language

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Grow up perhaps?

I would not see it as a racist decision at all. Your decision does not appear to be based on race at all. Rather on social awkwardness caused by complex communication issues.

I share this with you - and it is nothing to do with race. I feel intensely uncomfortable in social situations where I can not understand other people. That can be accents yes. But it can be slurs or stutters. Language issues. Or even _sound_ issues where I am in a situation that I struggle to make out what a person is saying (I hate night clubs for this reason).

So if your decision is based on that awkwardness - not actually anything to do with the guys race - I think you innocent of the charge you have levelled against yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

It doesn't sound liike you are anything 'ist'. I have trouble understanding some unfamiliar accents and pronounciations- e.g Belfast, it's not something you make a conscious choice about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

What should I do next?
    Tell me AH.

I haven't a klu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Did you enjoy your lunch OP?

I would not see it as a racist decision at all. Your decision does not appear to be based on race at all. Rather on social awkwardness caused by complex communication issues.

I share this with you - and it is nothing to do with race. I feel intensely uncomfortable in social situations where I can not understand other people. That can be accents yes. But it can be slurs or stutters. Language issues. Or even _sound_ issues where I am in a situation that I struggle to make out what a person is saying (I hate night clubs for this reason).

So if your decision is based on that awkwardness - not actually anything to do with the guys race - I think you innocent of the charge you have levelled against yourself.

stop being reasonable - I came here for some fun!

your social complex didn't stop you pulling two womens....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Well this isn't going to plan eh Cleutus...

cloud493 wrote: »
    Did you enjoy your lunch OP?

I did actually. I read the net and munched alone.

• Advertisement

It probably wouldn't be enough to stop me going but it annoys me hanging out with people who I can't understand whether they're from abroad or Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

stop being reasonable - I came here for some fun!

I can't help it. It just falls out of me like an overly watery snot.
    your social complex didn't stop you pulling two womens...

Mainly because I constructed a social scene for myself that avoid loud scenes like Night Clubs and focused more heavily on places I could communicate well.

I do not think I ever managed to pull in a night club because I could literally not hear a word girls were saying to me. Even pubs just a bit too loud and I tend to shut down socially. Maybe I should get one of those invisible hearing aid things :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I did actually. I read the net and munched alone.

Well there you go. Don't worry about it.

RoboRat wrote: »
    Well this isn't going to plan eh Cleutus...

you are 100% correct. this isn't going as planned.
    I thought I'd have an afternoon of banter, abuse and what not.
    alas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

No biggie racism is a victimless crime!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

You'll have to get a taxi licence OP. It's the only logical next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Have you considered starting tumblr campaign to disproportionately villify yourself before releasing a sobbing appology and entering rehab?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cpt Sh!t Craic

I'm not a racist... I just hate everybody...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

OP isn't racist or xenophobic. Calling him xenophobic is really stretching it.
    I'd rather not have lunch with anyone I can't understand.

Advertisement