Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Trees 2014

Options
  • 21-11-2014 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭

No thread yet so I thought I would start one.

Looking for a Christmas tree for the work. Anybody spot them on sale yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm guessing you mean a real tree if you haven't seen them on sale yet?

Loads of fake ones on sale. €25 for a 6ft in Lidl and MacD's is open too so you'd get one there.

The market is opening this weekend too so you might pick one up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Cheers, Mars Bar! Yes, its a real one I need!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lighterthought

Anyone know if Coillte are selling their trees this year? I can't find anything about where to buy real trees this year. Hoping to get mine as early in December as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Anyone know if Coillte are selling their trees this year? I can't find anything about where to buy real trees this year. Hoping to get mine as early in December as possible!

Any word on the Coillte Christmas trees yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

The signs for the Christmas Trees are up again in Millar's Lane in Knocknacarra (behind Ark Vets). Doesn't seem to be Coillte this year as the word Coillte has been cut out of the signs :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

The signs for the Christmas Trees are up again in Millar's Lane in Knocknacarra (behind Ark Vets). Doesn't seem to be Coillte this year as the word Coillte has been cut out of the signs :confused:

Where's that? It was in the industrial type buildings between B&Q and Monkeybusiness last year. Where's Ark Vets? I can't think of any buildings at all near Millar's Lane, other than private houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MUFC20TIMES

jenno86 wrote: »
    No thread yet so I thought I would start one.

Looking for a Christmas tree for the work. Anybody spot them on sale yet?

Behind pureskill they sell xmas trees there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Where's that? It was in the industrial type buildings between B&Q and Monkeybusiness last year. Where's Ark Vets? I can't think of any buildings at all near Millar's Lane, other than private houses.

The industrial building you mention above. The businesses in there give their address as Millars Hall, Millars Lane.

BTW as of today B&Q have real trees, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wtd2008

There is a Christmas Tree farm in Athenry, lovely people and it is good value. Has become a bit of a tradition in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Eye in the sky

You'll prob see them popping up over the next day or two now its December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭littleteapot

Second vote for the Christmas tree farm in athenry. It's great, especially for families with children and the trees are definitely fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Second vote for the Christmas tree farm in athenry. It's great, especially for families with children and the trees are definitely fresh

Are they free range?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wtd2008

Are they free range?

As far as I know they are Vegan and Gluten Free too...

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Why is collite cut out of all their signs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭littleteapot

Are they free range?

Oh I haven't a clue! what does that mean with respect to christmas trees? I know with chickens it means they're not caged...but can trees be caged?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I thought I spotted some real trees outside of Woodies on the Headford Road today.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

Coillte don't seem to be selling this year.

Someone is selling them in Parkmore behind the racecourse somewhere, very badly signposted whoever they are, I couldn't find them this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

n1st wrote: »
    Coillte don't seem to be selling this year.

Someone is selling them in Parkmore behind the racecourse somewhere, very badly signposted whoever they are, I couldn't find them this morning.

Coillte have sub contracted it out this year.

Eeden wrote: »
    I thought I spotted some real trees outside of Woodies on the Headford Road today.

Woodies and B&Q normally have real Christmas trees but they are often not the best quality.

n1st wrote: »

I saw the signpost as well. It says "behind the racecourse". I might have a look if I get a chance at lunchtime.

The sign also describes the trees as "premium quality" which makes my sceptical mind think that they might be crap! :pac:

• Advertisement

Woodies and B&Q normally have real Christmas trees but they are often not the best quality.

I saw B&Q's on Sunday evening. Didn't look great and they only seemed to have quite small ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I picked up a 10ft beauty in Dangan Garden Centre yesterday :D
    The really big trees are set out on the lawn in front of the house and small to mid sized are in the car park.

Lumi wrote: »
    I picked up a 10ft beauty in Dangan Garden Centre yesterday :D
    The really big trees are set out on the lawn in front of the house and small to mid sized are in the car park.

Any idea if they deliver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Any idea if they deliver?

They do but I'm not sure if they charge extra for delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

I saw the signpost as well. It says "behind the racecourse". I might have a look if I get a chance at lunchtime.

The sign also describes the trees as "premium quality" which makes my sceptical mind think that they might be crap! :pac:

I got one here.
    A very good tree.
    Exact same setup as Coillte last year (not to say they are Coillte trees).
    At the back gate to the racecourse just past Brookes.

The attendant didn't know their source.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Julabo

Anyone been to the one near pureskill in knocknacarra? Decent selection / quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Just back in from Maddens nursury in Oranmore, very pleased with the one we got and helpful lady there who helped us choose one (after much deliberation, bless her patience)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I'd highly recommend Meadow Farm Christmas tree farm near Athenry, about 3 miles out the Esker road.
    I went out there this morning. Warm welcomes from the owners along with little cakes and buns! We were then told we could take a red ribbon and go out into the field and choose our own tree, and then find a man with a chainsaw to cut it down for us! Super service. I paid €35 for a very impressive 7' tree which I saw being cut from the ground myself.
    Highly recommended.

http://galwaychristmastrees.ie/contact/

Attached is a pic with the lights on it ;)

I got mine in Dangan Garden Centre today. Very nice selection and well laid out. I got one in the 5-6 ft. range for €45. It's just over 6 ft :)

I went over to the place in Knocknacarra first, but the trees were thrown around everywhere so it was tricky to have a look at them. They didn't seem to be as nice as the trees in Dangan. It was really busy, so that might be why the trees weren't well laid out.

I would have liked to go to the farm in Athenry but I couldn't justify the extra cost of travelling out there when there were a good few options in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Bought one in Diangan great selection of good quality trees. Diffierent proces depending on size. Admit I spent more on tree this year then any other year.

Advertisement