Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louth Coastal Tour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭wav1

Went for a nice spin out round parts of them roads this morning.Yes I actually went on a bike.Hope its as mild next Sun morning and I hope to see a good crew of you there for a great cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭QueensGael

I'm guessing it's ok to park in the retail centre - there's no fear of getting clamped is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

QueensGael wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's ok to park in the retail centre - there's no fear of getting clamped is there?

It should be fine. There is lots of parking and we normally park there.

QueensGael wrote: »
    No problem with parking.It helps when the club treasurer owns the park thank God.Are we going to be blessed with our new board member for the spin.You'll be very welcome.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Irish rail site is not taking online bookings for the early train and hasn't been for 2 weeks at least. Only taking them for the express at 10. Its touch and go whether I'd make it anyway

• Advertisement

Yep, hoping to make it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

So any of the NCD crew want to arrange where to meet leaving balbriggan 9ish ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

So any of the NCD crew want to arrange where to meet leaving balbriggan 9ish ?
    I am out. Loaded with antibiotics and a visit to the tooth fairy scheduled for Friday pm for a rogue wisdom tooth will scupper all plans that don't involve industrial strength pain killers and vast quantities of alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

Hi All, hope to partake on Sunday but was wondering if the roll out time was 10am or 10.30am as mentioned in the OP's post..I've seen the 10am start time mentioned elsewhere and be handy to know as I was looking at cycling up from north Dublin for the official tour start and wanted to pick on my own roll out time. Is this an official Drogheda Wheelers organised event? I cant find anything on this online other than on here. Thanks.

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 cyclestudent

Granolite wrote: »
    Hi All, hope to partake on Sunday but was wondering if the roll out time was 10am or 10.30am as mentioned in the OP's post..I've seen the 10am start time mentioned elsewhere and be handy to know as I was looking at cycling up from north Dublin for the official tour start and wanted to pick on my own roll out time. Is this an official Drogheda Wheelers organised event? I cant find anything on this online other than on here. Thanks.

Apologies for the bit of confusion - we will begin assembling all riders at the retail park for 10.15am and then definitely starting at 10.30am on the button.

bloody cyclist students.... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

thanks for the confirmation of that, 'cyclestudent' I can maybe allow myself another half-hour in bed Sunday morning!

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

coastwatch wrote: »
    This looks like it,
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1867600
    with thanks to lennymc

Is the R166 road not closed between the 35 and 36 klm markers on that route map??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

macadam wrote: »
    Is the R166 road not closed between the 35 and 36 klm markers on that route map??
    It is expected to reopen on Friday according to http://talkofthetown.ie/tag/r166-station-road/

macadam wrote: »
    Did a drive around last night.That section opens back up tomorrow 21st.Was actually able to drive through last nite.Brand new section of road.

Looking at numerous options, and considered cycling to Drogheda and doing it for 130 km and do the Gran Fondo, though I'm unsure if I'd be able for it, this is my proposed route, unless I can make amendments to make it super flat on the way

http://www.strava.com/routes/1175741

Weepsie wrote: »
    Looking at numerous options, and considered cycling to Drogheda and doing it for 130 km and do the Gran Fondo, though I'm unsure if I'd be able for it, this is my proposed route, unless I can make amendments to make it super flat on the way

That's going to be a long one,and that's 130k without the spin home?
    Did a recce of the route and alls good to go.Looking forward to seeing you all for a nice morning for a great cause.Forecast looks good too.

wav1 wrote: »
    Did a recce of the route and alls good to go.Looking forward to seeing you all for a nice morning for a great cause.Forecast looks good too.

Ah I'd be on the train home for sure

wav1 wrote: »

Ah I'd be on the train home for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

the route you picked is probably the shortest all right but its far from the flattest - a couple of very tough climbs after Naul! If you're not fond of the hills then you can avoid these by heading to Drogheda via Stamullen once you reach Naul, though it'd add a few km's to your route. Alternatively just keep going out the N2 and turn at Kilmoon cross to get to Drogheda via Duleek - that's a pretty flat route all the way.

bren_mc wrote: »
    the route you picked is probably the shortest all right but its far from the flattest - a couple of very tough climbs after Naul! If you're not fond of the hills then you can avoid these by heading to Drogheda via Stamullen once you reach Naul, though it'd add a few km's to your route. Alternatively just keep going out the N2 and turn at Kilmoon cross to get to Drogheda via Duleek - that's a pretty flat route all the way.

Cheers, it was pretty much as the crow flies. Very much up in the air whether I can make it for various reasons beyond my fitness and ability, it was just the last one I had earmarked is all. I'll keep that in mind should I be able to, and if not I hope it goes well and has a good turn out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Cheers, it was pretty much as the crow flies. Very much up in the air whether I can make it for various reasons beyond my fitness and ability, it was just the last one I had earmarked is all. I'll keep that in mind should I be able to, and if not I hope it goes well and has a good turn out

I would suggest you head for Santry, Swords, Balbriggin, Gormanstown, julianstown Drogheda. It's totally flat and very doable in 2 hours (ish) from Santry. I might even be persuaded to join you in the morning if you decide to go that way;)

veetwin wrote: »
    I would suggest you head for Santry, Swords, Balbriggin, Gormanstown, julianstown Drogheda. It's totally flat and very doable in 2 hours (ish) from Santry. I might even be persuaded to join you in the morning if you decide to go that way;)

Updated that there, but it's even more unlikely now. Waiting on other people to confirm one way or the other if i I can go as might have to be back home early in the afternoon for reasons out of my control. If that's the case might have to get myself to Dundrum at the very least or get something under my belt.

Unfortunately mrs lenny is a bit under the weather so I'm probably going to miss this and end up babysitting!! Luckily the baby like the sound of the turbo trainer....

lennymc wrote: »
    Unfortunately mrs lenny is a bit under the weather so I'm probably going to miss this and end up babysitting!! Luckily the baby like the sound of the turbo trainer....
    Excused this time..I hope the turbo throws out a lullaby type thing or you're looking at real trouble LOL

Nice clear dry morning in the Drogheda area.Touch of frost but by 10.30 it should be ideal for the spin..Time to get the show on the road now.Hope to see you all later.

Huge thanks to all the crew who showed up this morning on what was a crisp but beautiful morning along the boyne shores and beyond.There were many boardsies there and I had the chance to chat to a few.Funds raised for a good cause and a hugely enjoyable day.Thanks to adoks2008 for closing down the roads of a large chunk of the North East and his usual excellent work.Again thanks to all.There were lots of locals and many who travelled also.Wav1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

I always enjoy this one and this year was no exception, a well run event for a wordy cause take a bow lads,
    I giggled all the way up the finale hill to calls of theirs always one...:).

• Advertisement

Really enjoyed it, lovely route, thanks to wav1, andrew and team who organised. A great morning on the bike!

Advertisement