Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast to Iceland from £31 one way

Options
  • 09-07-2014 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭

Normally to fly from Ireland to Iceland you'd have to first fly to London or Manchester and then get an onward flight to Reykjavik.

But from this December a new option opens up- Easyjet are running Belfast to Reykjavik two times a week and one way prices start at £31.99. Lots of availability from now till March 2015 so anyone wanting to try see the Northern Lights might get the chance to do so a good bit cheaper than before.

Getting to Belfast Airport is only two hours on the motorway from Dublin. It's well served by buses too.

http://www.u.tv/news/First-Belfast-to-Iceland-flight-launched/2e32ff29-86f1-49f5-94f2-03d87128c271

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nortcider

Thanks for that OP. Nice departure times both ways as well. I've been before and always planned a return so this is a great opportunity to do that without the hassle of connecting via London etc. The price is very attractive as well. It's a wonder Ryanair don't do it. Maybe they'll consider it now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Definitely look into this myself never been.

QQuestion about the northern lights would you have to go up to the north of Iceland to see that or could you see that in Reykjavik?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Ooh always wanted to go. Will have to check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Are they not running in the Summer season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Definitely look into this myself never been.

QQuestion about the northern lights would you have to go up to the north of Iceland to see that or could you see that in Reykjavik?

Saw them in Reykjavik in April. Amazing! But oct-mar is recommended period.

The tour guide takes you way out of the city. Light pollution as with any city means you won't see them in the centre of Reykjavik but you'll be fine on a tour. Iceland can be a bit cloudy so it's all weather permitting. I got insanely lucky given it was late April

Just prepare for the possibility of not seeing them and enjoy everything else iceland has to offer, blue lagoon, national park where game of thrones was filmed, whale watching and most important, HOT DOGS!! :) .... After all that. Seeing the lights is a bonus!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Isn't £31.99 closer to £32 than £31 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

snubbleste wrote: »
    Isn't £31.99 closer to £32 than £31 :confused:
    That's incredibly pedantic but they are indeed available for £31 (£30.99):

5bmuB7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Mr.S wrote: »
    Oh and for anyone booking - its about €22 return for a bus to a from the city centre :)

Excellent. Just need hotel recommendations now and I will get searching :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bryan06

Amazing I paid around €450 for flights from Ireland>Edinburgh>Reykjavik return last February.
    Can't wait to go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

bryan06 wrote: »
    Amazing I paid around €450 for flights from Ireland>Edenborough>Reykjavik return last February.
    Can't wait to go back.

Edinburgh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

That's a great deal, went via heathrow years ago.... Amazing place. Would be back in a heartbeat!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Is Iceland expensive?....particularly drink? Whats best time to go and worst time to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bryan06

Is Iceland expensive?....particularly drink? Whats best time to go and worst time to go?

Yes very. Theres a big clubbing scene in Reykjavik but they don't come out till after 1am because everyone drinks in their house beforehand.

When I was over there I wasn't in Reykjavik much but any hotel I was in was around €10 for a 330 mL bottle of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Thanks OP! Just booked two returns for €140 each, been wanting to go for years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

thanks,

When I was there it was ~€8 a pint 3 years ago. Food is about the same as here. Winter is cheaper accommodation wise but has only 4 hours sunlight worst case (not proper sunlight either). Summer is the other extreme.

If renting a car read up on getting around the ring road (weather can be bad in winter and roads closed): http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2011/mar/05/iceland-road-trip-route-1

Last but not least, if you can't do without drink, make sure to stock up in duty free when leaving the airport on arrival in Reykjavik. That's the cheapest place to buy in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

What would it cost to rent a car and drive around island for say 2 weeks? and is accommodation expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 22,069 ✭✭✭✭Esel

[HTML][/HTML]
    Edinburgh?
    See post #9 above.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

badker wrote: »
    What would it cost to rent a car and drive around island for say 2 weeks? and is accommodation expensive

I haven't been, but rental is supposed to be as expensive as everything else if you are able to fill a car of four or more it helps bring it down. Everyone recommends to take out ash damage insurance, there have been some horrors storys of tourists having to pay out thousands for damage.

There is no public transport that goes around the whole island during winter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Very very tempted by this.

Thank you OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Very very tempted by this.

Thank you OP.

No problems. Glad to see some people have booked.

Go for it man, I've been wanting to go to Iceland for 2+ years but the thing that always put me off was having to take four different flights to get there and back and it also couldn't be done for any less than €225 return. Now it can be done for around €100 return from Belfast which is fantastic as it's not massively far from Dublin and there's good transport links.

Iceland is pricey when you get there, probably 15-35% more expensive than here. But it's got some amazing natural scenery, volcanoes, geysers, thermal spas and lagoons. There is nothing else in Europe like it. I can't wait to book flights on this route, they're not selling June 2015 yet but as soon as they are I'm gonna purchase and go do the Llandmannalaugar trek for 5 or 6 days. National Geographic have it down as one of the worlds top 10 treks and the scenery on it looks stunning, you even pass close to that new volcano that was formed during the ash cloud thing a few years ago. Can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Iceland is pricey when you get there, probably 15-35% more expensive than here. But it's got some amazing natural scenery, volcanoes, geysers, thermal spas and lagoons. There is nothing else in Europe like it. I can't wait to book flights on this route, they're not selling June 2015 yet but as soon as they are I'm gonna purchase and go do the Llandmannalaugar trek for 5 or 6 days. National Geographic have it down as one of the worlds top 10 treks and the scenery on it looks stunning, you even pass close to that new volcano that was formed during the ash cloud thing a few years ago. Can't wait

Can you get by cheap over there if you're frugal eg. few drinks at home and less in the pub? Horse loads into you at the buffet breakfast in the hotel?
    Bargain alerter schtyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Can you get by cheap over there if you're frugal eg. few drinks at home and less in the pub? Horse loads into you at the buffet breakfast in the hotel?
    Bargain alerter schtyle?

See the second link in post 17. ;)

Edit: Just booked for Jan 23 - 26. €259 (£205) return for two people.
    Now to save up for the price of stuff when I get there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,377 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I've been there a few times. Be careful with cars the roads can be Icey. I was in a minivan that flipped 7 times :(

The women are unbelievable with great skin and blonde hair. The places in particular the bluer lagoon smells like rotten eggs ( all the sulpher)

I highly recommend it to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭IHPhoto

Sounds good, must check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

ted1 wrote: »
    I was in a minivan that flipped 7 times :(

Didn't learn the first time? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Murray007

Just booked a return for 2 for £202 in Feb15, prices are going up but still great value for a direct flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

I'd say the hot springs will be full of pasty feckers next year! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

elfy4eva wrote: »
    I'd say the hot springs will be full of pasty feckers next year! :D

And I bet there'll be some 6 foot 6 Icelandic Vikings walking the streets of Belfast and Dublin too, they'll stick a mile out !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 nj78

Well spotted OP! Flights booked now for next March. Went there last year and have been itching to go back, but the multiple flights needed were a hassle

Advertisement