Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Python Or Not

Options
  • 08-07-2014 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

I was looking at learning a new language, been developing in PHP and Java for a good few years now among other languages. For some reason Python has jumped out at me as a language to learn.

So what I was wondering is there any want/need for Python devs in the IT landscape in Dublin/Ireland/Internationally these days or is it very niche?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Ziycon wrote: »
    is there any want/need for Python devs in the IT landscape in Dublin/Ireland/Internationally these days

Did you check the job sites? It's fairly easy to skim through them to get an idea of current demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Graham wrote: »
    Did you check the job sites? It's fairly easy to skim through them to get an idea of current demand.
    I was going to to do that but was more aiming from the perspective of people in IT presently, do they see it used much around the office or daily life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

We use it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Blacknight wrote: »
    We use it
    You don't mind me asking is it due to a legacy issue or was it the best solution for what you were looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

http://labs.spotify.com/2013/03/20/how-we-use-python-at-spotify/
    http://techblog.netflix.com/2013/03/python-at-netflix.html
    https://github.com/reddit/reddit

Python is widely used. Plenty of docs and libraries online and not going anywhere. If you can already code, most of the same paradigms you know map to Python so banging out a couple of test projects isn't going to be a huge investment. Make your own mind up then about whether it's worth becoming more proficient at.

We don't officially use it in work, but I prototype a lot with Python. Out of work, all my back end stuff is Python or Javascript with Node.js

It's not a cutting edge language or anything. If you want to jump on that bandwagon, Think Node.js for the backend and Angular.js for single page web app front ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

Major players in the investment banking market are using it. Both employee developers in their Dublin offices.

http://www.quora.com/Why-are-banks-like-JP-Morgan-and-Bank-of-America-Merrill-Lynch-using-Python-to-replace-historic-legacy-systems-built-in-Java-C++

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

It can be used to make games also.

Edit: I've also used IronPython to make windows form applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I work in academia OP, where Python is definitely pretty "sexy" at the moment. I've only used it a bit, but it seems to have developed something of a reputation as a language for building pipelines and taping various modules together. I'm not really offering an opinion on it as a language as I don't have sufficient experience with it, but it is definitely being used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I love Python. A cracking little language to (for me usually) automate something or other, in no time with little effort. Only got the time the recently to start going through it in more depth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Burlap_Sack

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You don't mind me asking is it due to a legacy issue or was it the best solution for what you were looking for?

We use a mixture of PHP and Python for most of our inhouse software ie. applications + software that interact with domain name registries or add functionality to various systems

I'm not 100% sure why we're using Python, but it's definitely not a "legacy" issue

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

We use python and it's great. Go for it, definitely my favourite language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

"Python has been growing in popularity in the educational realm for at least the past few years, though this survey is the first to show it has eclipsed Java, which has been the dominant teaching language for the past decade"

http://www.itworld.com/software/426242/python-bumps-java-top-learning-language

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

We've got a handful of full-time Python developers. If you enjoy the language, I'd say it's mainstream enough to be successful in finding jobs.

(personally, I still am not too found of Python, but I know a lot of people who swear by it)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I was looking at learning a new language, been developing in PHP and Java for a good few years now among other languages. For some reason Python has jumped out at me as a language to learn.

So what I was wondering is there any want/need for Python devs in the IT landscape in Dublin/Ireland/Internationally these days or is it very niche?

Weather or not it becomes your main language, I'd say every developer needs to have a good command of a powerful scripting language to be really productive. The thing about Python or Ruby for that matter is that they let you do the simple stuff quickly - dump a database table into a csv file, move something around on a network, clean up a data file or whatever. And these days both environments seem to be on most client's servers that I touch.

Learning Python will add a powerful tool to your toolbox, even if it never becomes a job clincher for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

This may be of interest, OP.

Advertisement