Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Top Programming Languages

Options
  • 24-07-2014 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭

This is pretty cool - the results of an IEEE survey of programming languages, based on various sources, including social media, open-source code production and job posts.

You can adjust the weighting of the metrics to create your own ranking. You can also filter the rankings according to application (web, mobile, embedded, enterprise):

http://spectrum.ieee.org/static/interactive-the-top-programming-languages

Java and C/C++ still out in front, but Python's not far behind.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I always think these kind of surveys are rather silly....

I mean seriously do you see carpenters publishing a survey on whether a mallet is better than a hammer or is the screwdriver more popular now that it was last year..... Or would you leave your car in for repair with a mechanic that claims he could fix any problem with a sledgehammer?

Programming languages are just tools in a toolbox, you use the one that is most appropriate for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

It's all total bo**icks. The framework's the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Jim2007 wrote: »
    I always think these kind of surveys are rather silly....

I mean seriously do you see carpenters publishing a survey on whether a mallet is better than a hammer or is the screwdriver more popular now that it was last year..... Or would you leave your car in for repair with a mechanic that claims he could fix any problem with a sledgehammer?

Programming languages are just tools in a toolbox, you use the one that is most appropriate for the job.
    Takes slightly longer to learn how to use a certain programming language than it does a screwdriver.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

djpbarry wrote: »
    Takes slightly longer to learn how to use a certain programming language than it does a screwdriver.

It is still just a tool...

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

These indexes give a good high level view of how wide spread certain languages are. As to how valuable that is; I don't quite know but I do enjoy looking through them and seeing what's popular. Though it would be nicer to see this type of thing broken down geographically.

The Tiobe Index which has been around a good while does similar to the link in the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

djpbarry wrote: »

Most people use hammers incorrectly, think what they do with languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

You only need look at enterprise level Java to find that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

It is still just a tool...
    I'm not necessarily disagreeing with that, but if you're trying to keep yourself employable, it's not a bad idea to know what languages are popular or "trendy". You only have so much time to invest in learning new stuff. If you're thinking of learning a new scripting language, for example, does it not make sense to have a look and see what everyone else is using?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Tow

Arduino is now a programming language! I expected more from the IEEE...

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is Java there because of Android?

Java is higher than I would expect and Javascript lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I mean seriously do you see carpenters publishing a survey on whether a mallet is better than a hammer or is the screwdriver more popular now that it was last year.....

You can be sure they would if their business was structured in the same was as development.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

awec wrote: »
    Is Java there because of Android?

And its heavy use in the enterprise, its use in academia for several years there (waning a bit of late), minecraft and some other games and its usage by Google,Facebook,linkedIn,twitter,ebay,paypal,amazon etc either recently or currently.

Advertisement