Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭fiftythree

Hello everyone.had meant to come back today and tell you how well I was doing.today was a new start and everything.my trip to my new life was a two legged bus journey.the change was in Dublin.I managed to get out and on the bus.but when I got to Dublin I froze and couldn't go any further.got the sweats the palpitations and the fear.so I am still here.sort of caught between the past and the future.felt like I just could not take that extra step today.disappointed with myself but at least I started the journey.I can't go back to where I was so the only way is forward now.I am using the site from my mobile and haven't figured out how to thank people and stuff yet.hope you are all doing ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭fiftythree

handbagmad wrote: »
    Ah God... *drools.,.. I don't know but id eat that now,

I had two double cheeseburgers tonight in mc d s!!so pretty much the same as a double qp er they were lovely.yum yum.hoping to get a breakfast there tomorrow since I am here next to one.sausage or bacon mcmuffin?I am torn I can't decide!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

fiftythree wrote: »
    I had two double cheeseburgers tonight in mc d s!!so pretty much the same as a double qp er they were lovely.yum yum.hoping to get a breakfast there tomorrow since I am here next to one.sausage or bacon mcmuffin?I am torn I can't decide!

I say go for the sausage one! ;) God I love McMuffins! Coffee is pretty nice there too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

By hook or by crook ima getting a mc donalds fix the weekend.

Screw you heart, I want one of everything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

:eek: I've created a thread of McDs lovers. Like zombies with cravings for fast food

• Advertisement

shezer wrote: »
    :eek: I've created a thread of McDs lovers. Like zombies with cravings for fast food

you should be getting paid for the advertising Shezer.....
    In chocolate milkshakes and fudge sundaes. Oh my

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Can I join the McD club? Giving in to my cravings waaaay to much lately! Grr can't sleep, reading my book on the couch as I dont wanna disturb OH with the light on. Annoying cold is still here too, the lemsips havent made me drowsy either! Thankfully the book is kinda boring so it might put me to sleep......

stinkle wrote: »
    Can I join the McD club? Giving in to my cravings waaaay to much lately! Grr can't sleep, reading my book on the couch as I dont wanna disturb OH with the light on. Annoying cold is still here too, the lemsips havent made me drowsy either! Thankfully the book is kinda boring so it might put me to sleep......

come join us on our fast food train friend :)
    hope that cold clears up soon

Time for another hot lemon I think! Living on the edge!

stinkle wrote: »
    Time for another hot lemon I think! Living on the edge!

woo hoo, rebel :D:D through a little whiskey in there, may do the trick

• Advertisement

handbagmad wrote: »
    woo hoo, rebel :D:D through a little whiskey in there, may do the trick

This could get messy :P

This could get messy :P

tee hee :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Light-hearted thoughts before bed include:

I am going to die.
    The universe is essentially going to die with me if I subscribe to the notion of the self - if the universe is NOT going to die with me then there is no me.
    Wtf I feel like this is just a (very large) sandbox.
    Is anything, even pleasure, worthwhile?
    daddy or chips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,498 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Hi CMJ!

Newsflash: We are all going to die! :)

A fragment of poetry I remember: All life death does end and each day dies with sleep.

Check out his other stuff - it is not morbid (in the main). He wrote some great bits of prose too (mainly journals, no books...).

Now, go to bed! Chips tomorrow. :pac:

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Had one of those awful dreams last night. The type you wake up from and it takes about 30 seconds to realise it was a dream. It actually irked me for the day.

The dream- On a prop plane with my little one and some gowl from airport left the baggage bay open. Loads of passengers telling me to keep my mouth shut then about it. So we are flying along and bits and pieces are coming off the plane. :D

i get those a lot. i wake up covered in sweat. weird dreams i must say. its not like a mad man is chasing you with an axe but more philosophical like i dreamt one time a star was crashing into the sun and woke up in panic

Had one of those awful dreams last night. The type you wake up from and it takes about 30 seconds to realise it was a dream. It actually irked me for the day.

The dream- On a prop plane with my little one and some gowl from airport left the baggage bay open. Loads of passengers telling me to keep my mouth shut then about it. So we are flying along and bits and pieces are coming off the plane. :D

you werent watching lost or something :)

the plane probably represents your life, the people perhaps are telling you how you should live and because of that your mind is saying that your life is falling apart like the plane. i dont know, just psychoanalysing:)

Had a weird night's sleep myself - cold is pretty much gone bar a tickly cough that kept me awake. Add in a weird dream and the fact that I'm due to visit my old workplace that I hate today and it was a crap night.

I feel absolutely awful knowing I have to go here. I'm obliging a friend and this means attending a meeting, and dealing with a couple of others who bullied me. What's worse is I'm annoyed I feel this way, if you get me. I;m trying to tell myself it's over and they can't hurt me anymore, but I know that while nothing overt will occur, there'll be a few snide remarks, that kind of thing. I have no interest in the meeting really, I no longer work there or care. Coupled with the ailments I've had over the last few weeks, an ill elderly relative and my own personal anxieties about emigrating I could really do without this right now.

I think the nice person has arranged a lunch and that's the only reason I'm not gonna cry off. I don't want to let them down.

Just feel so powerless or something. Like I'm walking into the lions' den! I guess I've nothing to lose and if anyone is awful I can act accordingly. Bleh though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

My housemates are a couple and I don't really connect with them and I just feel so isolated all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

My housemates are a couple and I don't really connect with them and I just feel so isolated all the time.

Sorry to hear that KB. There's nothing worse than being lonely even when you are physically close to other people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

Does anyone know how long the waiting list is to see a psychiatrist with the HSE? Will it be months?

• Advertisement

Laois6556 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long the waiting list is to see a psychiatrist with the HSE? Will it be months?

i think it depends on the area. in a small town youd see one asap with a cert from GP, but in a city it may be longer

Roquentin wrote: »
    i think it depends on the area. in a small town youd see one asap with a cert from GP, but in a city it may be longer

Ok thanks. Do you know do you have to get the cert off your gp in person or can you have them send it to you? It's just I don't really want to go to my gp as I stopped taking medication months ago and I feel a bit of a failure having to try them again. I've been putting off sending them an email for weeks now.

Ok thanks. Do you know do you have to get the cert off your gp in person or can you have them send it to you? It's just I don't really want to go to my gp as I stopped taking medication months ago and I feel a bit of a failure having to try them again. I've been putting off sending them an email for weeks now.

sorry by cert i meant to say they (im not sure of the right terminology) they send on some letter (cert) to the public psychiatric day home center and then they will ring you (well thats what happened with me) For me anyway i needed this letter before they would see me.....unless someone else on this forum corrects me

edit: i think its called a letter of referral. the GP sends it to the psychiatrist and they get in contact with you

sorry by cert i meant to say they (im not sure of the right terminology) they send on some letter (cert) to the public psychiatric day home center and then they will ring you (well thats what happened with me) For me anyway i needed this letter before they would see me.....unless someone else on this forum corrects me

So I just ask my gp by email? I wont have to go in?

So I just ask my gp by email? I wont have to go in?

i dont know. you could try that or try ringing in.......

edit: i dont know do private psychiatrists exist. private psychologists do alright. So if it were a private psychiatrist, i assume you could just walk right in

i dont know. you could try that or try ringing in.......

Ok thanks. Sorry obviously you wouldn't know for sure. I'll send an email when I pluck up the courage. Thanks for the help.

Private Psychiatrists also require a referral as far as I know.

Either way your first point of contact is your GP here. The difference between private and public can be cost, waiting time and area of expertise(eg. PTSD).

Sent that email. Yes it took me that long. Deleting, editing, deciding I wasn't going to send it, telling myself i have to and so forth. Now the wait. I'll post how long it takes to get seen by a HSE psychiatrist just incase someone if the future goes searching for the same question to be answered. Thanks for the help! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Anyone know how long it takes to process a medical card application? Sent mine off a week and a half ago and no word back since.

• Advertisement

Anyone know how long it takes to process a medical card application? Sent mine off a week and a half ago and no word back since.

took about six weeks id say for mine. am they give you the number a week before you get and you can use that until it comes in the post

Did you get an application number? If so you can check it online.
    If you posted it in, you'll get a text. My buddies was sorted in 2 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Jesus I hope its two weeks rather than six! I have checked online but I don't trust those things. I'll ring tomorrow to see if they've received it. Thanks guys!

Sent that email. Yes it took me that long. Deleting, editing, deciding I wasn't going to send it, telling myself i have to and so forth. Now the wait. I'll post how long it takes to get seen by a HSE psychiatrist just incase someone if the future goes searching for the same question to be answered. Thanks for the help! :)
    Congratulations on getting that done! Hopefully, you won't have to wait long.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Have been doing well of late but I'm struggling through a medical problem at the moment and it just seems like a proper resolution is just out of my reach and anytime I think I get close, it moves a bit further away.

Had another delay today and it's just dragging me down at this point. I've lost my spark in work, just feel rotten all the time. I recently started playing football again (which made me feel great) but today my doctor told me I need to stop 'cause it's too risky, don't know when I'll be back at it. Just really gets me down 'cause it was something that kept me going but now it's been taking away from me.

Feeling very lonely at the moment, still thinking a lot about death. I could snap out of it if I want to and it's not necessarily negative in that hopefully it will inform life. I know it's two sides of a coin but there's so much hardship and suffering everywhere.

As most of us do I have an inquisitive mind and it just pisses me off that I can't figure life out. I know there's nothing to figure out but it feels like there is. And I know if I wasn't being curtailed by my neuroses I wouldn't be giving any of it a second thought and I suppose that's maybe the closest thing to a point yer gonna get.

I guess I'm just ruminating due to loneliness. I could walk out the door any day and build relationships potentially but I don't. Still rooted in the very core fear that I'm valueless. I don't understand how I can have such a feeling of unworthiness when logically I'm as worthy as just about anyone. But what was the difference in my development I wonder.

• Advertisement

Have been doing well of late but I'm struggling through a medical problem at the moment and it just seems like a proper resolution is just out of my reach and anytime I think I get close, it moves a bit further away.
    Hang in there, man.
    I recently started playing football again (which made me feel great) but today my doctor told me I need to stop 'cause it's too risky, don't know when I'll be back at it. Just really gets me down 'cause it was something that kept me going but now it's been taking away from me.
    Could you take up some other form of exercise like brisk walking, cycling, jogging (on grass preferably), swimming? Or join a gym?

If you like competing, and contact sports are out, how about something like badminton or tennis?

Easiest, if possible, would be either cycling or walking to work and back.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I have a hernia (which is a side effect of my original problem) so I get the impression all strenuous physical activity is out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Have a potentially tricky situation this weekend.. Well my mind is playing tricks again, catastrophising etc.. Basically i live in a house here in vancouver with 10 others ( 12 if you include my selfish thoughtless housemate who decided his mates could move indefinitely)... One of the girls is throwing herself a birthday party and to be honest I'm dreading it.. While I get on with the people in the house, if only classify one or two as friends.. I'm 32, this girl is 21, and I basically feel uncomfortable in this kind of environment. Lad time there was a party in the house, i showed face for a while, made some excuse about having to work the following day and went to bed early.. A total lie.. Ultimately no one will care if I attend or not, and I know how absurd it all sounds. At this stage in my life, I simply couldn't be arse hanging around with a bunch of ****faced early 20 something's and pretend like in am friends with them.. Post over

Have a potentially tricky situation this weekend.. Well my mind is playing tricks again, catastrophising etc.. Basically i live in a house here in vancouver with 10 others ( 12 if you include my selfish thoughtless housemate who decided his mates could move indefinitely)... One of the girls is throwing herself a birthday party and to be honest I'm dreading it.. While I get on with the people in the house, if only classify one or two as friends.. I'm 32, this girl is 21, and I basically feel uncomfortable in this kind of environment. Lad time there was a party in the house, i showed face for a while, made some excuse about having to work the following day and went to bed early.. A total lie.. Ultimately no one will care if I attend or not, and I know how absurd it all sounds. At this stage in my life, I simply couldn't be arse hanging around with a bunch of ****faced early 20 something's and pretend like in am friends with them.. Post over

You're pushing on...:pac: Only joking. How do you know the 21 year old doesn't have any older pals? At the end of the day you live there so you have the upper hand already if anyone is annoying you.

On a side note-Your posts could be written by myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Sorry, this is going to be weird:

free
    bird
    wings
    bridge
    nightmare
    sadness
    bright
    dark
    bland
    boring
    wish
    desire
    happiness
    out of reach
    lazy
    procrastinating
    binge eating
    unhappy
    unloved
    insight = help?
    psychology = vague
    broaden out the thoughts
    need to speed up slowly
    not me
    who is me
    blah flucking blah
    sick of it
    sick of it
    sick of my brain
    sick of life
    sick of people
    sick of my family
    sick of society
    sick
    sick
    sick to my stomach
    my creativity
    originality
    my me
    where am i
    is it still there
    my desperation disgusts me
    need cig
    alchohol
    mind numbing
    to wake the brain
    the brain is sleeping
    dormant
    will i ever get out of this trap they put me in
    i played a huge part
    what the **** is my defect
    i refuse to conform to the established structure of explaining
    its too ****ing limiting
    you need to learn it to explain your way out of it
    you need to become it
    to show that you are not it
    to realise yourself that you are not it
    it was all part of a game you played
    to stay distracted
    and got in too deep
    can i unlearn or overlearn what has already been imprinted in my every ****ing move
    emotion
    thought
    action
    its there its lingering
    i dont ****ing have the words
    jesus
    give me some
    extra astrocytes
    something
    something
    something.
    has it been building
    has the pscyhology corporation blinded truth
    how can i get to my truth
    should i avoid truth
    do i avoid truth in my convinving so called quest to find it
    am i going in circles
    yes i am going in circles
    am i crazy
    am i hazy
    am i daisey
    no im ( my name)
    im (name)
    im (name)
    i have a heart
    a brain
    a body
    i have a life
    i can have a life
    i have to have a life
    i know i can get the life
    if i work
    and find happiness
    all i need is success
    a purpose
    maybe a relationship
    and i will find peace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

This time last year I promised myself I would fix everything and be sitting in an arm chair somewhere with a drink toasting my success but it just hasn't happened I'm in the same situation i was last year possibly even worse. 2015 can't be worse because living this way is much more awful than I could have dreamed up.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    This time last year I promised myself I would fix everything and be sitting in an arm chair somewhere with a drink toasting my success but it just hasn't happened I'm in the same situation i was last year possibly even worse. 2015 can't be worse because living this way is much more awful than I could have dreamed up.

You need to accept some things as they are. Your perception of those things may sometimes be distorted. Don't stack things up on yourself. You probably have a lot to be positive about.

cloud, don't be so hard on yourself mate. x

chinacup wrote: »

Great exercise (if ye don't mind me calling it that). Streams of consciousness can be very educational imo.

chinacup wrote: »

free
    bird
    wings
    bridge
    nightmare
    sadness
    bright
    dark
    bland
    boring
    wish
    desire
    happiness
    out of reach
    lazy
    procrastinating
    binge eating
    unhappy
    unloved
    insight = help?
    psychology = vague
    broaden out the thoughts
    need to speed up slowly
    not me
    who is me
    blah flucking blah
    sick of it
    sick of it
    sick of my brain
    sick of life
    sick of people
    sick of my family
    sick of society
    sick
    sick
    sick to my stomach
    my creativity
    originality
    my me
    where am i
    is it still there
    my desperation disgusts me
    need cig
    alchohol
    mind numbing
    to wake the brain
    the brain is sleeping
    dormant
    will i ever get out of this trap they put me in
    i played a huge part
    what the **** is my defect
    i refuse to conform to the established structure of explaining
    its too ****ing limiting
    you need to learn it to explain your way out of it
    you need to become it
    to show that you are not it
    to realise yourself that you are not it
    it was all part of a game you played
    to stay distracted
    and got in too deep
    can i unlearn or overlearn what has already been imprinted in my every ****ing move
    emotion
    thought
    action
    its there its lingering
    i dont ****ing have the words
    jesus
    give me some
    extra astrocytes
    something
    something
    something.
    has it been building
    has the pscyhology corporation blinded truth
    how can i get to my truth
    should i avoid truth
    do i avoid truth in my convinving so called quest to find it
    am i going in circles
    yes i am going in circles
    am i crazy
    am i hazy
    am i daisey
    no im ( my name)
    im (name)
    im (name)
    i have a heart
    a brain
    a body
    i have a life
    i can have a life
    i have to have a life
    i know i can get the life
    if i work
    and find happiness
    all i need is success
    a purpose
    maybe a relationship
    and i will find peace
    Great list/poem/stream!

Hope you don't mind if I select from it:

free
    bird
    wings
    bridge
    bright
    wish
    desire
    happiness
    insight
    my creativity
    originality
    emotion
    thought
    action
    something
    i have a heart
    a brain
    a body
    i have a life
    i will find peace

Go back over the list, strike those words I struck out (or even better, move them to another column).

Revise your spreadsheet; insert columns for your reasons.

Expand on the good stuff; add more reasoning.

Weigh your scales in favour of the light against the dark.

We are all on the road. Sometimes we lay our load down - to have a rest.
    We get up again, and we trod on.
    We get to that place, and we relax for a while.
    Life does not rhyme, but it does scan.

Watch your favourite comedies/cartoons, and realise you can laugh again.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Revise your spreadsheet; insert columns for your reasons.

Expand on the good stuff; add more reasoning.

Weigh your scales in favour of the light against the dark.

Thank you Esel, that's brilliant advice!

free, bird, wings - thinking about the beauty and simplicity of nature is inspiring and there is a lesson in perspective there
    bridge - some bridges were burned but the burning lit the way to a new path ;)
    bright - I am bright, this will guide success
    wish, desire - be focused on a goal, but don't desire perfection, it takes away from the present
    My happiness, insight, creativity, originality, emotion, thought will develop by taking action
    i have a life - Its a wonderful gift, life.
    i will find peace - because it is possible and this time last year I was homeless so although things aren't the way I want them yet, its a hell of a lot closer.

I'm familiar with that thought process. Maybe try thinking about the things you did achieve. Negative thinking will always try to rob you of your progress, but tomorrow positive thinking may help you celebrate it. I know it sounds soppy and cliche but its something to at least try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Really worried about my eyesight right now. I've put blurred vision and stuff down to anxiety, but now my distance vision is really poor and I can't even seem to slightly adjust it like it could be just blurred vision if that makes any sense? It still feels like all crosseyed though, like it's half on the outside and rest on the inside? This post is probably really confusing sorry..

Not at all, I've had that due to anxiety, my eyes being absolutely in pain all the time, muscles around them spasming, can't focus on stuff, extreme photosensitivity etc.

It has to be tackled physically, as in if you tackle the anxiety physically, and uncoil your body and spine (my spine was in so many nots my hips felt like they were nearly piercing out through the skin, my neck and skull were twisted as well. I couldn't really properly identify the location of touches, and some areas were completely numb.

You have to make a concerted effort (I am using yoga and meditation and sort of body exploration, not accepting current physical state of affairs, move in different ways than you normally would, say I put my right foot down without thinking I'll notice the whole leg is not in a good position, so I'll stand still for a sec and try to break out of whatever my normal pattern of movement is, this is the informal thing I do).

here's a video i've used before for eyes, very short simple etc. don't expect too much relief immediately but I did it a while back and it relaxed my eyes. This is a direct approach to the eyes, but I'm guessing you're like me where your whole body needs some serious love and attention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Thanks Jimmy, really appreciate that. On the flipside however I (and everyone else) have to be careful not to blame almost anything on anxiety :P Quite dangerous, that. I mean I've spent way too much time in front of a computer screen in my short life, and I've not been the healthiest in general, so stuff like the eyes and other things may be anxiety, other things or a combination of both. I'm hoping I will be given enough time by my health to turn things round once and for all - I'll never be intentionally unhealthy again if and when I get through this. I just don't have the strength due to the lack of energy to start cutting junk out of diet, exercising consistently, and generally trying to turn things around. I start a uni course shortly so I'm going to try my best to use that as my startpoint. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement