Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avonmore Protein Milk

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Sorry if my post if a bit off topic : but is Avonmore Super Milk any good? My husband has to take vitD tablets as his levels were low (linked to a medical condition). Then I found out this week that my son has a bone disorder and may have week areas on his bones. He's a growing boy so since the news I've been giving him more milk to drink. He loves his cheese and is a bit of a cheese snob so no "plastic cheese" for him, it's proper cheese! He won't take yoghurts though.
    Seen Avonmore Super Milk in the shop last night and the VitD jumped out at me. Would it be better for both my men to be drinking this instead of regular whole/low fat milk that we usually have?

It has 2 micrograms of Vit D per 100ml and the normal whole/low fat milk has none (or at least very little)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Since being bought by Glanbia, ON and their source of protein are one and the same I suppose.

As far as I know, they don't just lob protein into the milk. There's a different way of processing it that doesn't remove as much protein as regular milk. It's probably a mixture of both ways in the final product.

Protein milk is produced in Glanbia's Ballytore factory and the protein probably comes from Wexford. In the US, ON's protein more than likely comes from their plant in New Mexico but the UK stuff would be made in Wexford. That's roughly how it works. So yeah, in some cases the protein milk protein is the same as ON.

So, the Whey protein from ON I am buying is most likely made in Wexford? Just curious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Omega28 wrote: »
    So, the Whey protein from ON I am buying is most likely made in Wexford? Just curious

I'd be pretty confident it is, but not 100%.

No that it matters but I'd have thought it'd be made in Ballyragget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

No that it matters but I'd have thought it'd be made in Ballyragget

I'll ask a lad I know up there, not that it matters but I'm interested now. He said Wexford last time we spoke but I would have thought Ballyragget too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

I like the protein milk it's 2.20 in my local shop, I usually drink a litre with two scoops of whey. For someone like me trying to bulk but struggles to eat enough cals it's a good dose of protein.

I like the protein milk it's 2.20 in my local shop, I usually drink a litre with two scoops of whey. For someone like me trying to bulk but struggles to eat enough cals it's a good dose of protein.

If you're bulking, whole milk with 3 scoops gives you more calories and marginally more protein per litre than the protein milk with 2 scoops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Cool thanks for that.

Cool thanks for that.

51g protein and 490 kcals per litre of protein milk.
    33g protein and 640 kcals per litre of whole milk
    Scoop of whey ~ 20g protein

Whole milk would be half the price or thereabouts. Might get you a jar of peanut butter for the bulking :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

Avonmore choc protein milk 28 g sugar, can of coke 35grams.

Its only got 5 more gs of protein than sugar! or 29g of carbs, so the milk only has 4 more gs of protein than carbs.

Nuts isn't it, says 1% fat on front, doesn't say, yeah but heller carbs lads!

• Advertisement

and sugar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,596 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It says 1% fat because it's 1% fat. There nothing you've said there that is in any way shocking. It's literally just milk with added protein.

If you think it's nuts that there is sugar in it. You should probably check the nutritional label on slimline milk - spoiler alert, milk contains lactose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That poster is going around digging up 10+ year old threads on nutrition/protein, lord knows how/where they're finding them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you want to save circa 90c a go, the Tesco protein milk is the same thing made in the same plant.

I found it shocking, ok I didn't no so much to start with, but would it be so popular if it said same size writing on the front sugar grams? maybe for gainers?

Its interesting, I was into gains and gym 10 15 years ago maybe 20! it wasn't so easy to get all the info as now.

Have you look at the sugar carb/sugar content of regular and slimline milk? I assume not if you found the presence of sugar shocking.

They aren't adding sugar to protein milk. It comes form the actual milk. Milk is a high energy food, which typically means high carb and/or fat content.

I found Weider Protein Shake seems to have 26g protein and less sugar?

So basically protein powder is better if you want protein and not so much calories?

But ready-made drinks are handy

• Advertisement
Advertisement