Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price matching

Options
  • 24-04-2014 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been covered before - just checking to see if anyone had experience of McGuirk's or Halpenny price matching sites like GolfStoreEurope?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

I had a bit of a nightmare with halpenny in airside trying to get them to price match a bushnell watch with mcguirks across the road.

Even though they have a massive sign outside saying they'll double the difference.

They tried to convince me it wasn't the same watch and the one they were selling was an updated model.

I checked the serial numbers on both and they were exactly the same. Eventually they agreed to price match.

After I took the watch home, I set it up and it hadn't been through any of the updates bushnell had issued. I had to run all the updates myself. called bushnell and they confirmed this to me.

Spoke to the manager warren in the store and he said he was just passing on the info the rep had given him.

This was the second time I'd purchased this watch from the exact same store as I lost my first one.

Horrible experience and I won't be returning. Was lied to at every stage and given nothing but excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Sorry to hear about that. I am in no way affiliated with Halpenny but I have had nothing but good experiences from dealing with them and Warren in particular when he worked in another store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Not sure about the two above but had the same issue with Nevada Bobs as they only price match stores in the Republic and GolfStoreEurope is based in the North. All about the fine print.

Before this I'd had good experiences myself.

Halpenny just text me so they're reading this thread.,

Maybe they'll answer your original question ?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

If somebody tried to insult my intelligence like that I'd have just walked out politely, can't be doing with awkward stuff like that when you are dropping over 100 quid on a gadget you can get elsewhere. Fake promotions, do a song and dance for it, no thanks,

Who needs the hassle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Halpenny airside price matched an rbz 3 wood for me last week. I had to ask for it, but you can't expect them to know every price off their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Halpenny airside price matched an rbz 3 wood for me last week. I had to ask for it, but you can't expect them to know every price off their head.

Where was the offer they price matched?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Where was the offer they price matched?

Sorry, should have said. They matched the special masters weekend sale price in mcguirks.

Edit to say, I mention it because I thought it was good to price match a temporary sale. I thought that was decent.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

ryaner777 wrote: »
    I had a bit of a nightmare with halpenny in airside trying to get them to price match a bushnell watch with mcguirks across the road.

Even though they have a massive sign outside saying they'll double the difference.

They tried to convince me it wasn't the same watch and the one they were selling was an updated model.

I checked the serial numbers on both and they were exactly the same. Eventually they agreed to price match.

After I took the watch home, I set it up and it hadn't been through any of the updates bushnell had issued. I had to run all the updates myself. called bushnell and they confirmed this to me.

Spoke to the manager warren in the store and he said he was just passing on the info the rep had given him.

This was the second time I'd purchased this watch from the exact same store as I lost my first one.

Horrible experience and I won't be returning. Was lied to at every stage and given nothing but excuses.

Halpenny Golf have asked to respond to this; please see their response below:
    Hi Ryaner777,

We are really sorry that you had a nightmare of a time trying to get a price match from us. As a company our tag line is Top Brands Best Prices. Our objective is to create fans and give our customers a compelling reason to return by providing excellent service and prices.

We clearly failed on both of the above in our dealings with you. While we did eventually price match it was a protracted process, which is not our objective.

The fact that you returned to our shop to purchase a second watch is to us fantastic. We were doing something right.

When you returned to purchase the second watch we didn’t demonstrate our appreciation of your loyalty and moreover we insulted you by trying to convince you of something that turned out to be untrue.

We screwed up and we apologise unreservedly.

As a team we pride ourselves on providing excellent service in each of our five stores.

We hope that you would consider returning to our shop.

To answer the question regarding online competitor’s prices, the answer is yes, we match competitor’s online prices at our store in Swords and our other four stores. In many cases we beat the lowest online prices in Europe, as an example.
    Item|Halpenny|GSE
    Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme Driver
    |€149|€352
    Callaway X Hot Driver
    |€169|€235
    FJ Greenjoy Shoes
    |€45|€49
    Footjoy Aql Ladies Shoe
    |€60|€75
    Garmin S2 GPS Watch
    |€199|€219
    Garmin S3 Digital Watch
    |€259|€300
    Masters Junior Set
    |€99|€104
    Odyssey Metal X #6
    |€119|€121
    Kind regards
    Halpenny Golf.

Whovever wrote that= Good at their job and even turned it into a good advertising opportunity.

Maybe they should hold an arsekicking seminar on the floor emphasising the job is actually sales related,

• Advertisement

Slightly off topic but do Halpenny's accept GUI vouchers?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

give them a shout and they'll let you know straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Fair play to Halpennys for their response.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Whovever wrote that= Good at their job and even turned it into a good advertising opportunity.
    Really you think?, you're too easily pleased:pac:, I would have said a free gift or voucher or a substantial discount off the next purchase would have been in order, and would have gone further in making up for a poor customer experience than a written apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I bought a set of wooden tees in Halpenny golf a few months ago and they keep breaking :D;)

Fair play to Halpenny for the response, while it's only "good business", it's still great to see.
    For what it's worth, I'd always try to support any of the bricks and mortar stores over online stores unless there's a major price difference (and price matching does away with that).
    Can't be easy matching online stores prices with rates, rents, wages etc etc thrown in.
    Whether it be the bigger ones or a pro shop, more often than not it's a great experience. Half the time I just go in for a chat to get away from the missus.

(I'm fully expecting a free set of tees on my next visit :P )

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I can imagine the look you'll get if you walked in and introduced yourself ...."Hey I'm PARlance!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Really you think?, you're too easily pleased:pac:, I would have said a free gift or voucher or a substantial discount off the next purchase would have been in order, and would have gone further in making up for a poor customer experience than a written apology.

Guys he got the price match he was after
    They cant draw blood:cool:
    We are only taking someones word on here about price match, Their reply is fair enough I think,
    I doubt they are making a fortune on the item in question anyway, so a written apology is enough in my book..and i would then close the book:D

by the way I could not see any one of the online retailers making such an open apology on a forum.

The reason it's good work
    is because I'm now thinking of 40 euro foot joys, rather than being annoyed on behalf of the OP.

It would be great if he got a voucher, but the fact is as golf consumers when it comes down to it we don't care how someone else was treated as long as we are confident we can get ourselves a good deal.

They know they don't have too, and know nobody cares only about themselves at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

IMO I think the poster with the bad Halpenny experience is going completely over the top and would take it with a pinch of salt. If was such a horrible experience, I would have just bought elsewhere.

The bit about having to run all the firmware updates himself is a mute point. Busnell/garmin etc... may have issued a number of firmware updates depending when the device was packaged. What does the poster expected Halpenny to do, take every device out of it's packaging and update them every time each manufacturer updates it's firmware? Also whats the point of phoning Busnell about not having the latest firmware, if you can apply the updates yourself. Seems like it would be more effort?

Fair pair to halpenny for apologising and most likely they did drag out the experience but we've all took advantage of price match guarantees and know it's not just a matter of walking in and saying the lad next door is selling it 20 euros cheaper.

As for the lads going on about free gift vouchers, cop on. This sort of sense of entitlement sickens me and has become a real epidemic in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Macker1

Yes they do. I got some clubs regripped only the other day using a GUI Voucher.

• Advertisement

IMO I think the poster with the bad Halpenny experience is going completely over the top and would take it with a pinch of salt. If was such a horrible experience, I would have just bought elsewhere.

The bit about having to run all the firmware updates himself is a mute point. Busnell/garmin etc... may have issued a number of firmware updates depending when the device was packaged. What does the poster expected Halpenny to do, take every device out of it's packaging and update them every time each manufacturer updates it's firmware? Also whats the point of phoning Busnell about not having the latest firmware, if you can apply the updates yourself. Seems like it would be more effort?

why would you take it with a pinch of salt ?

What part do you think I am fabricating ?

The reason I didn't purchase else where is because I like a lot of other golfers like purchasing from the local golf store and halpenny swords is my local. My family know this and have purchased store vouchers for me as gifts numerous times. And on this occasion I used one of these vouchers to pay for the watch.

About 12/18 months ago we had a thread on here and I spoke very highly of them.

In relation to your second point re updates.

This was the justification the store originally used by halpeeny to justify the €70 difference between them and mcguirks. They said the model they were selling was new and updated for 2014 and mcguirks were selling an old model. This information was completely incorrect. I would never expect a shop to update their devices every time an update was released but to claim that the gps I was purchasing was updated and that was why it was more expensive was false. I confirmed this myself when I plugged it into my computer for the first time and then again with bushnell.

At no stage did I ask for any vouchers or discounts from halpenny. They've lost a one time loyal customer and in all honesty by sharing my story Ive made it very awkward for myself to return to my local shop now.

I was simply replying to the OP sharing my mixed experiences with this company.

In case you needed any further evidence here is the thread I started in 2012 when mcguirks moved into swords

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056782464

Back on topic lads I'd just like to update that both Halpenny's and McGuirks both offered to price match the deal on GolfStoreEurope for a 2014 9.5" Titleist Staff Bag - both were very responsive.

I purchased from McGuirks in the end as they are closer to me - top marks to both companies.

Very, very happy with the new bag :D

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭irishmanmick

Slightly off topic:

Is Halpenny's still open? Can't get on their website any more?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Slightly off topic:

Is Halpenny's still open? Can't get on their website any more?!
    Working for me.

No need for the hysteria. Websites have problems from time to time. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭irishmanmick

Sorry read here the branch in town closed and couldn't get on their website & put 2 and 2 together ....

Must be just my laptop, works on my phone!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

Have to say I don't think price matching shops should be supported it's a lazy sales gimmick

You do all the leg work and then give halpenneys the cash
    Why not give it to whoever you want to or maybe whoever is cheaper
    Personally that kind of sales stuff would send me out the door

I'd normally use my clubs pro shop who are very competitive but probably can't do the volume of the big shops, so he may be 5 to 10 % dearer on the odd item but is bang on for all after sales issues

I'd normally ask "is that your very best price ?"on any item and if it's within €5 to €10 I'd be happy enough to pay the local man

Shop local and support the small guy if possible

Advertisement