Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halpenny V McGuirks in Airside

Options
  • 16-10-2012 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Just seen on the mcguirks website they are opening a new superstore right across the road from halpenny in airside retail retail park swords.

Great news for customers in the local area as it should lower prices.

But would there genuinely be enough trade to support two shops across the road ? I know mcguirks were in the shopping centre for a while but last time I was there the store was being turned into a river island.

hopefully halpenny can survive as the lads in the shop are very helpful and often open to for a little haggle on price.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AEH1984

I wouldn't say there's enough trade for the two stores but it could be that McGuirks feel the need to be beside Halpenny because they're doing well. But as you said the guys in Halpenny know their stuff so if they are worrying McGuirks its because of that, not their location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

But of a funny one they have opend and now closed 2 stores in the pavillions so the cheaper rent in airside maybe the reason. Hard to see there being enough buisness for both.
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Hate seeing this kind of **** in retail... no need for it in this case. Pretty underhand from McGuirks in my opinion and for that reason i'll be sticking with Halpenny if i'm ever out Airside way.

What next? A new McGuirks store on Grafton Street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Hate seeing this kind of **** in retail... no need for it in this case.

Dont really understand this point of view. It certainly isnt ****. Its competition. And whether there is need for it or not is irrelevant - if McGuirks judge they can improve their situation by doing this, then they should do so.

Competition is good for the consumer. And its handy having competitors close to each other so thsat you dont have to drive around to compare who has what at what price.

Boucher Rd is handy in Belfast these days with both Nevada BObs and American Golf looking across at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭onlyfinewine

Almaviva wrote: »
    Dont really understand this point of view. It certainly isnt ****. Its competition. And whether there is need for it or not is irrelevant - if McGuirks judge they can improve their situation by doing this, then they should do so.

Competition is good for the consumer. And its handy having competitors close to each other so thsat you dont have to drive around to compare who has what at what price.

Boucher Rd is handy in Belfast these days with both Nevada BObs and American Golf looking across at each other.

A bit like having a number of good restaurants in the same area, it drives up competition, brings in more punters, is good for the customer and the whole area gains from the increased footfall.

• Advertisement

A bit like having a number of good restaurants in the same area, it drives up competition, brings in more punters, is good for the customer and the whole area gains from the increased footfall.

I don't really equate this as the same thing as a restaurant opening and creating a 'destination'. I'm all for competition, but this doesn't seem like that to me in this instance.

As for the point about "whether there is need for it or not is irrelevant - if McGuirks judge they can improve their situation by doing this, then they should do so" - i find that a pretty disgusting viewpoint to be honest.

Still, as long as we all get to negotiate an extra fiver off our new drivers, yeh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

I don't really equate this as the same thing as a restaurant opening and creating a 'destination'. I'm all for competition, but this doesn't seem like that to me in this instance.

As for the point about "whether there is need for it or not is irrelevant - if McGuirks judge they can improve their situation by doing this, then they should do so" - i find that a pretty disgusting viewpoint to be honest.

Still, as long as we all get to negotiate an extra fiver off our new drivers, yeh.

Competitive pricing is good for the game. Whether it be a fiver or fifty. I know the reason it took me so long to get into the game is i simply could not afford to join a club, buy clubs, buy balls etc...

There is massive need for this. Mark up on these products is excessive as it is. A "fiver" might be a lot for someone who is on the fence about taking up the game or not.

Do you also hate this kind of **** when a Dunnes say opens up across the road from a Super Value.

It is good for the consumer. These shops can be more competitive and we deserve to get the best price.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Hate seeing this kind of **** in retail... no need for it in this case. Pretty underhand from McGuirks in my opinion and for that reason i'll be sticking with Halpenny if i'm ever out Airside way.

Ya, somewhere between McDonalds and Burger King ideally :confused:

I'd say you are more upset than Halpenny Golf.
    If it was Halpenny or McGuirks deliberately moving in on a small golf store with the intention of closing it down, then I would feel sorry the small shopkeeper.

Halpenny & McGuirks are big boys now, they can fend for themselves.

If you're so upset by this, I presume you never go into a Centra, Mace, Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, McDonalds, BurgerKing, Lifestyle Sports, Champion Sports........................ Starbucks, Insomnia........ etc that at one stage or another strategically moved beside a competitor/or moved in to close a local small family owned business.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,115 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

kiers47 wrote: »
    Competitive pricing is good for the game. Whether it be a fiver or fifty. I know the reason it took me so long to get into the game is i simply could not afford to join a club, buy clubs, buy balls etc...

There is massive need for this. Mark up on these products is excessive as it is. A "fiver" might be a lot for someone who is on the fence about taking up the game or not.

Do you also hate this kind of **** when a Dunnes say opens up across the road from a Super Value.

It is good for the consumer. These shops can be more competitive and we deserve to get the best price.

Competition is only ultimately good for the customer if both companies survive. If one drives the other out of business then prices will go up.

Is it a political or ideological position against free competition that causes your disgust, or are you disgusted by McGuirks specifically, trying to increase their business ?

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    Competition is only ultimately good for the customer if both companies survive. If one drives the other out of business then prices will go up.

I think the nature of business now has changed things. I heard recently that 70+ % of people research significant purchases (not sure of the exact criteria here, but am sure it could be applied to a set of irons) online now before going into a store to buy, if not buying online that is.
    My point being that the customer is more informed now of the price they should/could pay elsewhere thus companies cannot get away with a price hike if their competitor across the road closes.

I think your example was rife 15-20+ years ago in small towns/rural areas where people were taken advantage of if some business became an monopoly in the local area but don't think it's prevalent nowadays.

GreeBo wrote: »

I understand what your saying but I think in this scenario both companies are established enough that I think they will be fine.

Both companies have a foot in the door of the online side of things so they obviously are quick thinking innovative business's!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

Am i seriously reading lads getting their back up because McGuirks are moving in on Halfpennies patch. Its business! McGuirks have obviously done their forecasts and see enough trade in that area for them. Halfpenny won't have expected this and will have to do something to be competitive. Great for the customer to bounce one off the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,115 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I understand what your saying but I think in this scenario both companies are established enough that I think they will be fine.

Both companies have a foot in the door of the online side of things so they obviously are quick thinking innovative business's!!!

i don't think either company would shutdown, but I'd be surprised if both could survive side by side in that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

All this talk here - that Free Market Capitalism is the way to go and anybody who questions it, is some sort of commie, is a bit simplistic.

Halpenny were offering something McGuirks were not, a friendly professional flexible service.

Mcguirks due to their size fell behind, it is the same world over with a company who get too big. Look around, people move away from things when they become too big and impersonal. Starbucks (local good shop) , Tesco (local butcher) , Ryainair (Aerlingus). The people who move away are a small market -but significant. McGuirks trying to chase that is proof.

McGuirks can open up across the road if they want, but they just don't get it by doing that.

Competition is great , it keeps all on the toes, but aggressive marketing like that, is not for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Never worked in a golf shop so Im guessing if u think there is excessive mark up on golf equipment. Clothing is the only area of decent mark up in golf compared to anyother retail

golfguy1 wrote: »

Never worked in a golf shop so Im guessing if u think there is excessive mark up on golf equipment. Clothing is the only area of decent mark up in golf compared to anyother retail

Perhaps i was rash about my statement.

After a good bit of research recently(had a thread on the subject) I concluded mark up on clubs is somewhere in the 20-30% range depending(correct me if i am wrong as i am not in the business). Also as regards balls what i concluded was reatilers make Zip off them like 10%(which i found amazing).

*** Figures are from my own research so i wouldnt be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

McGuirks have obviously done their forecasts and see enough trade in that area for them.

there sure is a market, it's mostly made up of poor fellas bored out of there minds being dragged from Harry Corry's to Home Store and back again :D

golfguy1 wrote: »

I've worked in retail before and I would go along with this.

A very simple way to reflect what (margin or markup) a shop makes on certain items is by looking at their "Sales Offers".
    i.e
    I've often seen 50% of all clothing items in a golf store but I've never seen it as high in relation to Clubs... 20% would be a fairly generous sale discount on clubs I think? (They may on rare occasions offer more than this, but that could reflect the need to clear old stock/get cash in for new stock and they may sell at a loss in cases as such)

I worked in a retailer that sold similar cloths to that in a golf store.
    The markup on items could range between 100-200%
    That is, they bought for €50.
    Sold for €100 (thats 100% mark up)
    Sold for €150 (thats 200% mark up)
    Those mark ups are not uncommon for high end clothing.

I would hazard a guess that markup on clubs may be around the 50% mark
    Buy for €200 sell for €300 (50% mark up)
    If there went on sale at "20% off" then there sale price is €300 - €60 = €240
    Generally shops still make profit of sales items so I think the above assumptions could be in the ball park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭IanPoulter

I've been reliably told that on golf equipment the range is 33%-50%. It depends on the supplier and the recommended retail price. Funny enough at the more expensive end the margin is less so while a €300 driver may have been purchase by the shop for €200 giving 50% profit, a €400 driver may have been purchased for €300 yielding 33% profit. This is supported by the fact that the latest and greatest is the bigger seller volume wise so a lesser yield is offset by higher sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

Not going to wade in on the argument whether its a good or bad thing but just got an email from McGuirks, in case anyone is interested (15% off aint too bad)

Greetings!

We are delighted to announce that our New Superstore In Airside Retail Park, Swords is now open. With Over 15,000 Sq-ft of Retail Space we are Europe's Largest Golf Shop. We have some very special Opening offers available instore and we are giving 15% off all Clubs, Bags, Shoes & Rainwear,

We are open till 9pm Thursday & Friday's & till 6pm Saturday till Wednesday

Happy Shopping
    T&C's Apply.

McGuirks Golf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Was in the new shop this evening its big but it makes it look empty. They changed my FJ sports for a new pair.
    Mike

No. A new Halpenny near the back gate into McGuirks in Leopardstown.

We'll probably have to boycott both chains now with this king of **** going on.

No. A new Halpenny near the back gate into McGuirks in Leopardstown.

We'll probably have to boycott both chains now with this king of **** going on.

Fair play to them. If someone made it their goal to put me out of business, i'd probably fight back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Delighted to see Halpennys open in Carrickmines, big competition for McGuirks Leopardstown, I'm sure the big numbers of ladies societies playing in the Racecourse will love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

First off i think its great to have these two shops together, not being from Dublin, it means if I do have to head up to the airport I can visit both shops without going out of my way.
    The other thing is, McGuirks in the Airside is far too big, it feels empty, even with 20 customers in it. Much prefer Halpenny's shops. But when I was there I purchases in McGuriks, but only because Halpenny didn't have an Adams clubs.

Advertisement