Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alex Viada

Options
  • 25-03-2014 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭

It's hard to put into words just how engorged my broner for this guy is. I like to run in the "off-season" but ever since the IPOs last year where I squatted 600lbs a few weeks after a 52 min 10k run I've doubted the legitimacy of the "cardio kills gains" mantra. This guys has thoroughly reiterated my thoughts.

In summary:
    • Ultra Runner/Iron Man shooting for a sub 11 hr Iron Man
    • Squats 700lbs+ for reps at 100kg-ish bodyweight
    • Likes carbs/has visible abs
    • Vehemently opposes HIIT

Does not look like your typical Iron Man
    1455008_10100539396307284_1852902374_n.jpg

His site has some articles well worth a read. A refreshing amount of common sense there.

A weird one though, he's teamed up with Jamie Lewis of all people to put on a combined strength and endurance "ultra-strength event" called The Crucible. Yes that's "Running makes you a pussy... carbs are for losers" Jamie Lewis.
    Events:

All athletes will be REQUIRED to compete in all events: The entire event will start Saturday morning and progress through Sunday night. Failure to complete any event will result in disqualification- there are NO points for dropping out. Note, there will be two categories- male and female. No weight classes, no age groups, no elite categories... all we care about is what you can do.

-Powerlifting- Squat, Bench, Deadlift- 3 attempts per lift, highest lift achieved counts.

-Strongman- two events, still to be announced. Likely events include a weighted carry (yoke) and Atlas stones.

-Crossfit- two WODs, still to be announced. Likely events could include a C&J or snatch ladder, at least one bodyweight challenge, and at least 20-30 minutes of excruciating discomfort.

-The Ultra- 12 hours of constant movement- athletes can cover as much or as little distance as they like- nobody will win this entire event without pushing themselves to the absolute limit here.

-The Crucible- the hidden event- athletes will not know what this involves unless they are in the top 10 after the Ultra. The final test of strength and endurance- after 24 hours of pushing yourself to the limit, this is the final opportunity to crush your opponents and take home the cash prize... an ultimate bragging rights.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

kevpants wrote: »
    It's hard to put into words just how engorged my broner for this guy is. I like to run in the "off-season" but ever since the IPOs last year where I squatted 600lbs a few weeks after a 52 min 10k run I've doubted the legitimacy of the "cardio kills gains" mantra. This guys has thoroughly reiterated my thoughts.

In summary:
    • Ultra Runner/Iron Man shooting for a sub 11 hr Iron Man
    • Squats 700lbs+ for reps at 100kg-ish bodyweight
    • Likes carbs/has visible abs
    • Vehemently opposes HIIT

Does not look like your typical Iron Man
    1455008_10100539396307284_1852902374_n.jpg

His site has some articles well worth a read. A refreshing amount of common sense there.

A weird one though, he's teamed up with Jamie Lewis of all people to put on a combined strength and endurance "ultra-strength event" called The Crucible. Yes that's "Running makes you a pussy... carbs are for losers" Jamie Lewis.
    so basically crossfit on steroids (not suggesting he uses)

have never had much of an issue with guys gaining weight or getting stronger combined with a pile of conditioning work so long as they sort their diet out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

+1. He knows his stuff too, a good website as you said. I couldn't even fathom the amount of commitment you would need...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Can you imagine the amount of food the man must go through!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

His poor bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Transform wrote: »
    so basically crossfit on steroids (not suggesting he uses)

have never had much of an issue with guys gaining weight or getting stronger combined with a pile of conditioning work so long as they sort their diet out

He seems to be somewhat involved in Crossfit alright Dom but he's pretty vehement that things like sled pulls and prowlers are highly anti-strength, whereas steady state stuff is easily assimilated into a strength program.

Some of his sample programs are designed for people who want to include metcons or whatever but he repeatedly runs down pretty much any thing HIIT. I kinda see a bit of a conflict with Crossfit on it but then again the almight dollar rules.

He's quite quick to point out adding running to a powerlifting program is not a weight loss strategy, that an extra calorie surplus is required etc.

• Advertisement

colman1212 wrote: »
    Can you imagine the amount of food the man must go through!

He's currently "intentionally overreaching" i.e. 15-20 mile runs with Max Effort squats, deads and benches all in the space of one week's training. Consuming 7000+ calories a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭COH

He's currently "intentionally overreaching" i.e. 15-20 mile runs with Max Effort squats, deads and benches all in the space of one week's training. Consuming 7000+ calories a day.

He must have been reading your log :D Somewhere, on a forum far from here he's linking videos to your shed on some obscure regional fitness forum saying 'check this crazy Irish f*cker out... he went running the week of his powerlifting comp!'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

aero as fcuk :cool:. Thank's for turning me on to him Kevpants, it's what I'm trying to do on a much much* smaller scale.

*much much much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

At least tell me he does it full time...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

He's pretty awesome.

I can't even comprehend an iron man.

I'd do the cycling bit, but the swimming and the running dragging my 100kg carcass around?
    No thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Thats incredible. How can you do this stuff without completely burning out?!
    Surely your body would just say "Seriously, I'm not doing this sh1t anymore!"

• Registered Users Posts: 36,131 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

And if you can do it, why are you not a professional athlete of some description?

I think the idea is if you're hammering your body with powerlifting type stuff there's a whole other type of performance that is essentially not being stressed. He trains both of them. Think Type 1 vs Type 2 muscle fibres.

He only eats 150g of protein per day too. That's actually my favourite part.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,131 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So Kev, does he have many disciples walking around that have been able to achieve scaled returns of a similar nature from a similar workout and nutrition approach? Or is he just a one in a million genetic freak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

He looks like a human Robocop with the helmet...and arms...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    So Kev, does he have many disciples walking around that have been able to achieve scaled returns of a similar nature from a similar workout and nutrition approach? Or is he just a one in a million genetic freak?

Well Kev makes it 2 in a million...

Hanley wrote: »
    Well Kev makes it 2 in a million...

Lol. I also have more hair... for the moment.

Lloyd i think i posted a lot of the running stuff i did from this time last tear in my log. Essentially i hit a pr squat of 272.5kg and a pr 10k of 52 mins in the same month, April i think.

Its just an interesting theory that long slow runs are less strength sapping than short intense cardio.
    Running is the perfect antidote to powerlifting i find.

Currently, at 10 days out from a comp, i am feckin sick of powerlifting. If i never had to lift another heavy thing from today id be happy. I always get like this pre-comp and I take it as a sign that I've done all i can this year and i can usually give one final push for the day of the meet. If i can remedy my tendency to check out once the squats are done with I'll do even better.

Cant wait to start running again in 2 weeks but this year when i hear the call of the iron i might try to keep the running going instead of dropping it like i presumed i had to

EDIT: Actually looking at my Endomondo I think I got near enough 50 mins in a 10k but my GPS on my old phone worked correctly for like 1 in every 3 runs towards the end. In any case I managed to drag my 100kg fat ass around reasonable 10k times.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Long slow runs do require a lot less recovery than short high intensity stuff. Same goes for cycling.

Also, I met a guy who is an ex international rugby player who is now a good ager ironman. All 18 stone of him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

LIT is definitely less taxing from a recovery standpoint than HIIT.

Probably not "beneficial" for powerlifting, but if you like living long enough to see your kids grow up, it's a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

So 7000 calories a day but less than 150g of protein, sounds awful

• Advertisement
Advertisement