Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wi-Fi Booster only €29.99

Options
  • 11-03-2014 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Just picked up a TP Link wi-fi booster for only €29.99 in eMobile in Blanchardstown. Set it up in two minutes. My kitchen and study where wi-fi blackspots, now they have the same speeds as where my modem is. Happy days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Have you the model no.?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 damien60

Have you the model no.?

It's the AV200 300Mbps starter kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

That looks like a powerline adapter not a WiFi booster?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I picked up this lad a few weeks back and got it shipped via PM.
    Has taken a low'ish signal from my UPC modem and mega boosted it, I could not get a signal in the back of the house and now I can get a signal at the end of the back garden, simple setup too.

51LT22SkQvL._SL1200_.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 damien60

beauf wrote: »
    That looks like a powerline adapter not a WiFi booster?

It is a powerline adapter, I use it to boost the wifi signal in blackspots in my house.
    I now have the same speeds all over my house. Very happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭daveheno

I have sky bb and is very intermittent and I found out that they are try to push 4 meg down a 3 meg capacity line.
    Would this help???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

slave1 wrote: »
    I picked up this lad a few weeks back and got it shipped via PM.
    Has taken a low'ish signal from my UPC modem and mega boosted it, I could not get a signal in the back of the house and now I can get a signal at the end of the back garden, simple setup too.

So how does it work, i.e. how do you set it up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

damien60 wrote: »
    It is a powerline adapter, I use it to boost the wifi signal in blackspots in my house.
    I now have the same speeds all over my house. Very happy with it.

Powerline adapters in the general sense are only for 'wired' connections. Some versions have a built in wireless adapter so in effect can be used to extend your wireless range also. The OP could have been clearer in the description and even a simple link to the product on the likes of Amazon would have helped. My 2c's.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    So how does it work, i.e. how do you set it up ?

I assume it would work like this:

b.jpg

The repeater would need to be in range of the original wifi signal.

• Advertisement

Ok, so it doesn't need to be connected to the router via ethernet, you can just plug it in the other end of room for example and it will boost the signal from the router ? If so, could be exactly the thing I'm looking for.

eamonnq wrote: »

If the OP could confirm this is it.

That would work nicely with my existing TPLINK powerline adapters. My kitchen is a wifi dead spot also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Ok, so it doesn't need to be connected to the router via ethernet, you can just plug it in the other end of room for example and it will boost the signal from the router ? If so, could be exactly the thing I'm looking for.

Exactly, I didn't want the extra expense or hassle of using the electrical wires in the house route, with this guy you simply plug in anywhere where the existing wireless signal reaches and it takes the signal and boosts it BIG TIME.
    Setup was easy, clear manual where you're given an IP address to access the repeater's setup pages, it simply piggybacks the existing signal so you use the same SSID password to access it as the current wifi.
    As mentioned above this guy lets me go 60ft down the back garden and still within strong wifi range on the mobile.
    It also has an ethernet port but I've no interest in using it because I have the house hard wired almost everywhere at this stage.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

zweton wrote: »

No. Unless you attatch a wireless AP to the 'far' end.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

But you need another powerline adapter near the router I presume?

MarkR wrote: »
    But you need another powerline adapter near the router I presume?

Yes. Minimum requirement is two units. 'Starter' kits have two adapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

TP Link wi-fi booster, also available in Argos for €25.99, have two of these and they work great, need to be unpluged to reset every so often otherwise no problems.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1286627.htm

Stock levels good

http://www.checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=128%2F6627

degsie wrote: »
    No. Unless you attatch a wireless AP to the 'far' end.

So what are these ones for.

zweton wrote: »
    So what are these ones for.

Extending ethernet connections.

• Advertisement

so i can get a wired connection instead of wireless in the room upstairs where wifi was poor.

pauleoin wrote: »
    TP Link wi-fi booster, also available in Argos for €25.99, have two of these and they work great, need to be unpluged to reset every so often otherwise no problems.

Reviews for that are pretty good, plus it's just about £27 on Amazon.

Do you have one yourself ? If so, how does it affect your speeds ?

In theory Ethernet would be faster. But you probably won'd get the full speed over the electric wiring. I get about 60~80mb from a 120mb at the modem. WiFi N gets me about 50~60mb close to the router. But 2mb in the kitchen and 20mb upstairs.

So I use a wired powerline in the kitchen gets me 60 instead of 2. A wirless extender would be a little handier though.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭kaiserrussel

Hi all
    Ca this be used in conjunction with a three mifi modem?

Coverage is very bad in one point of my house (where my study is of course) and I have to keep the mifi modem at the opposite end of the house, the house is a bungalow.
    So I guess my question is does this simply pick up the signal and boost it r is this specific for regular wireless modems

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I use a Fritz Repeater to get wifi up to the third floor. Works a treat and simple to setup. You just need to login into the repeater and hook it up to the existing WLAN network. If you assign it the same SSID then that is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭micks_address

All these wifi extenders - do they extend the range of your existing wifi SSID or create a new 'bridged' network where you will have two SSIDs?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mefistos

does anyone know about great deal for wifi powerline boosters? I want to buy any starter pack as soon as possible since i am having signal problems at my house with UPC...

All these wifi extenders - do they extend the range of your existing wifi SSID or create a new 'bridged' network where you will have two SSIDs?

From reading up on them lately, some give an additional SSID, eg. you curent one is Micks_Internet and it then creates a second one called Micks_Internet(Ext) or something similar. People have said that if they rename the extension to the same SSID they can move seamlessly across them.

The TP-LINK TL-WA850RE from Argos looks like it does all this automatically so you don't need to do anything, you just see the one network.

I suppose someone with one of these can answer it better.

mefistos wrote: »
    does anyone know about great deal for wifi powerline boosters? I want to buy any starter pack as soon as possible since i am having signal problems at my house with UPC...

Did you read the first post? More specifically post #'s 1,3 & 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mefistos

degsie wrote: »
    Did you read the first post?

I live in Sligo.. they dont have them in here.. thats why i am asking for another option :)

Advertisement