Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eVision- free TV for 6 months, €10 a month thereafter

Options
  • 17-01-2014 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭

Only catch is you have to be an Eircom broadband existing customer. They supply a box and installation is free, the basic package is free for the first 6 months and then a tenner a month thereafter. Basic package has 30 channels, most of which are on UPCs basic package. You can add on Sky Sports and Movies at extra charges.

Good to see some competition for UPC in the TV market (even if it is Eircom:rolleyes:) as UPC have been sneaking up their prices for a few years now, to the point that their basic package is nearly €30 a month. UPC do have 50 channels compared to eVision's 30 but eVision has the 30 channels that most people would tend to actually watch. You're getting less channels but it comes at a much cheaper price.

The basic tv package on the minimum 18 month contract will cost you €120, 18 months on UPC costs €513 (18 x €28.50pm) so there's a bargain in there for someone who already has Eircom broadband and pays UPC/Sky for their tv.
    https://www.eircom.net/tv/channels

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Faz6r

to get to the situation of having all the channels they provide bar the premium sports/movies
    about 50 channels worth along with their phone service and broadband, you will end up paying 71 a month
    for an extra 9 squid you get the upc horizon bundle with over 100 channels , 200mb broadband versus 70mb eircom and phone 400 international minutes versus eircoms 30, but you can upgrade the phone to bring your eircom bundle to over 100 squid, still looking a lot like the old rip off eircom with their mad line rental
    bargain my arse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Faz6r wrote: »
    bargain my arse
    Love it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

to get to the situation of having all the channels they provide bar the premium sports/movies
    about 50 channels worth along with their phone service and broadband, you will end up paying 71 a month
    for an extra 9 squid you get the upc horizon bundle with over 100 channels , 200mb broadband versus 70mb eircom and phone 400 international minutes versus eircoms 30, but you can upgrade the phone to bring your eircom bundle to over 100 squid, still looking a lot like the old rip off eircom with their mad line rental
    bargain my arse

Horizon box is a load of crap.
    Has a fan so its noisy and the WiFi signal from them is terrible.

Horizon box is a load of crap.
    Has a fan so its noisy and the WiFi signal from them is terrible.

i find the wifi signal strong all over my house but im in the process of ordering a netgear wifi AC router from amazon because only getting 50mb top speed through box, also getting a couple of usb wifi AC dongles to cover laptops because they are only wifi N
    a friend of mine has evision box and its a piece of cheap tat compared to horizon box, plus a hell of a lot noisier.
    but the horizon box compared to my old sky+ box is just horrible, list of bugs is endless with horizon box, plus as you know upc customer care is non existent, it really is that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

You don't need to be an existing broadband customer to get there service. I've signed up as a new customer and can get the service. It's a pretty decent price and competition is always good. Remains to be seen how the box and UI work out and if the broadband speeds hold up. UPC UI is horrendous if you ask me. They also have said that they will add more channels over time so the jury Is still out regarding the service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

bargain my arse

Which is why I said that it is a bargain for customers of Eircom who already have their broadband through them. With eVision they'll pay €120 over 18 months for 30 odd channels. With UPC they'll pay €512 for 50 odd channels so the saving with Eircom is €392. A saving of €392 may not be a bargain for you but rest assured that it is for the hundreds of thousands of Eircom customers who are already paying UPC or Sky €28.50/€27 for their basic tv package.

Also don't forget that there a lot of people in rural areas who can't get UPC and are reliant on Sky for their TV. For them this now gives them a second option, they can drop their Sky and use Eircom's service instead- that's an option they didn't have before eVision came along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ei9go

All the channels that are worth watching are free so why pay anyone?

Get a Humax Freesat Recorder and receive them yourself

It's an IPTV system which requires Efibre so it's not exactly going to help too many people in rural areas escape from Sky.

ei9go wrote: »
    All the channels that are worth watching are free so why pay anyone?

Get a Humax Freesat Recorder and receive them yourself

That recorder is 220 euro on Amazon. The Eircom service is 120 for 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

i find the wifi signal strong all over my house but im in the process of ordering a netgear wifi AC router from amazon because only getting 50mb top speed through box, also getting a couple of usb wifi AC dongles to cover laptops because they are only wifi N
    a friend of mine has evision box and its a piece of cheap tat compared to horizon box, plus a hell of a lot noisier.
    but the horizon box compared to my old sky+ box is just horrible, list of bugs is endless with horizon box, plus as you know upc customer care is non existent, it really is that bad

It's a known problem:
    https://www.google.nl/search?q=horizon+wifi+problems&rlz=2C1GGGE_enNL0537NL0537&oq=horizon+wifi+problems&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.3538j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=horizon+wifi+problems+site:boards.ie

And reported here in the Netherlands as well:
    https://www.google.nl/search?q=horizon+wifi+problems&rlz=2C1GGGE_enNL0537NL0537&oq=horizon+wifi+problems&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.3538j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=horizon+box+wifi+problemen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Gobethewall

Just been offered this from Eircom and would have been interested but note that they don't have ITV (UTV)
    Don't watch it that much but it's a strange omission

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭nthside_cycle

well if you are a user of NETFLIX, eircom might be a better option than UPC.
    With all the speed UPC provide they are rated the 5th slowest ISP in Ireland by NETFLIX
    http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/ireland

You would of thought UPC would be close to the top of the list at least beating eircom.

well if you are a user of NETFLIX, eircom might be a better option than UPC.
    With all the speed UPC provide they are rated the 5th slowest ISP in Ireland by NETFLIX
    http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/ireland

You would of thought UPC would be close to the top of the list at least beating eircom.
    what kind of dark ages do netflix think ireland is living in 2.39mb is the fastest avg speed, it is in my arse
    this is my average speed via cat6 ethernet cable using ookla speed test
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2938031605
    my top speed was 158, and lowest speed was 47 with ethernet

ran another test toady, just now during peak hours
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3238822672

i tried looking for jan 2014 with netflix,
    this is what popped up Unfortunately, our data only dates back to November 2012. Please refine your search parameters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Just been offered this from Eircom and would have been interested but note that they don't have ITV (UTV)
    Don't watch it that much but it's a strange omission

they couldnt sort the rights out seemingly with TV3 throwing a wobbly over any mention of UTV. It will be on in January under the UTV ireland banner if things go to plan for UTV with their new channel.

they couldnt sort the rights out seemingly with TV3 throwing a wobbly over any mention of UTV. It will be on in January under the UTV ireland banner if things go to plan for UTV with their new channel.
    you mean january 2015?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

you mean january 2015?

yes sorry Jan 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Dont forget theres no Sky Sports News.

Unbelievable Jeff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Get a Freesat box for all the main channels. Use your computer to download all the fancy pants USA stuff and get a NOWTV box for a tenner to view it through plex(details on the Bargain forum).

SOrted and
    FREE.

#onelessbill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ei9go

brokenarms wrote: »
    Get a Freesat box for all the main channels. Use your computer to download all the fancy pants USA stuff and get a NOWTV box for a tenner to view it through plex(details on the Bargain forum).

#onelessbill

More or less exactly my point made earlier.

Unless you want Sky Sports there is no point paying for TV from anyone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The basic tv package on the minimum 18 month contract will cost you €120, 18 months on UPC costs €513 (18 x €28.50pm) so there's a bargain in there for someone who already has Eircom broadband and pays UPC/Sky for their tv.
    https://www.eircom.net/tv/channels

One of the worst comparisons I've ever seen.

You are basically comparing UPC's standalone TV package against Eircoms IPTV package, which can't be gotten standalone and which also requires Eircoms eFibre Broadband.

The thing is if you can get TV from UPC, then more then likely you can also get broadband from UPC [1], so the proper comparison would be to compare Eircom eFibre + TV to UPC Broadband + TV.

UPC Fibre Bundle €60
    - 50mb BB
    - 50 TV channels, including UTV and all the ITV channels, Sky 1, 2, Sports News and 7 other Sky channels! Non of which are included with Eircom
    - 5 HD channels, you have to pay an extra €10 per month to get these from Eircom!
    - 17 free analogue TV channels that can be used for free multiroom [2]

Eircom eFibre Unlimited + eVision TV €60
    - 50mb BB [3]
    - 30 TV channels
    - No HD channels

So for the same money, you get far less from Eircom, really there is no deal here.

[1] UPC broadband, isn't quiet available to all TV customers, there are still some small areas that can't get BB, but it should be available to 90% of UPC customers.
    [2] The 17 analogue TV channels aren't available in Cork, they never were, different network.

[3] This is a big one that people need to understand about eVision, unlike UPC it is an IPTV service, so it will have a negative effect on your broadband.

When you get eVision, Eircom will switch you from "upto" 70mb/s BB to a stable "upto" 50mb/s profile.

This is an "upto" speed, is dependent on your distance from the local cabinet. Depending on how far you are you could get as little as 18mb/s. UPC aren't effected by distance like this, you will almost always get 50mb/s

Finally when you actually use eVision, it is actually using your bandwidth, 2mb/s for each SD channel you are watching or recording and 10mb/s for each HD channel. So this will slow down your BB, this never happens with UPC, as BB and TV are completely separate.

So with Eircom eFibre + eVision your BB could be as slow as 10mb/s, while with UPC you will always get almost the full 50mb/s (or 200mb/s if you prefer!).

There is a lot of marketing and BS around eVision that people really need to be aware of.

And yes, I agree with other posters, as long as you don't want Sky sports, then the real bargain is to setup a Freesat/Free To Air satellite system. Over 50 channels for free. Yes there is a higher setup fee, but once done, TV is free for ever more and it will often pay itself back after just 1 year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bk wrote: »
    UPC Fibre Bundle €60
    - 50mb BB
    - 50 TV channels, including UTV and all the ITV channels, Sky 1, 2, Sports News and 7 other Sky channels! Non of which are included with Eircom
    - 5 HD channels, you have to pay an extra €10 per month to get these from Eircom!
    FYI
    The Fibre Bundle is €35 for the first 6 months then it's €60

http://www.upc.ie/deals/tvbroadbandphone/
    50 TV channels
    50mB unlimited BB
    Phone Unlimited off peak national + 400 mins international

UPC Basics Bundle http://www.upc.ie/pdf/UpdatedRelease.pdf - see channel list

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That recorder is 220 euro on Amazon. The Eircom service is 120 for 18 months.
    Don't forget 18 months line rental ;)

Depending on what you watch Satellite + BB + Netflix might cover all your needs.

In fact if you have BB and Netflix and stream live channels then you might save €160 a year on the TV license , at least until the electricity tax comes in.

But yeah it's horses for courses. If you live close enough to a cabinet / exchange to get higher speeds and you don't have the option of UPC and you need channels between FTA and a full SKY sub then look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

bk wrote: »
    One of the worst comparisons I've ever seen.

You are basically comparing UPC's standalone TV package against Eircoms IPTV package, which can't be gotten standalone and which also requires Eircoms eFibre Broadband.

The thing is if you can get TV from UPC, then more then likely you can also get broadband from UPC [1], so the proper comparison would be to compare Eircom eFibre + TV to UPC Broadband + TV.

UPC Fibre Bundle €60
    - 50mb BB

Eircom eFibre Unlimited + eVision TV €60
    - 50mb BB [3]
    - 30 TV channels
    - No HD channels

So for the same money, you get far less from Eircom, really there is no deal here.

[1] UPC broadband, isn't quiet available to all TV customers, there are still some small areas that can't get BB, but it should be available to 90% of UPC customers.
    [2] The 17 analogue TV channels aren't available in Cork, they never were, different network.

[3] This is a big one that people need to understand about eVision, unlike UPC it is an IPTV service, so it will have a negative effect on your broadband.

When you get eVision, Eircom will switch you from "upto" 70mb/s BB to a stable "upto" 50mb/s profile.

This is an "upto" speed, is dependent on your distance from the local cabinet. Depending on how far you are you could get as little as 18mb/s. UPC aren't effected by distance like this, you will almost always get 50mb/s

Finally when you actually use eVision, it is actually using your bandwidth, 2mb/s for each SD channel you are watching or recording and 10mb/s for each HD channel. So this will slow down your BB, this never happens with UPC, as BB and TV are completely separate.

So with Eircom eFibre + eVision your BB could be as slow as 10mb/s, while with UPC you will always get almost the full 50mb/s (or 200mb/s if you prefer!).

There is a lot of marketing and BS around eVision that people really need to be aware of.

And yes, I agree with other posters, as long as you don't want Sky sports, then the real bargain is to setup a Freesat/Free To Air satellite system. Over 50 channels for free. Yes there is a higher setup fee, but once done, TV is free for ever more and it will often pay itself back after just 1 year.

You must remember that not everyone lives in Dublin and it's environs. There are many houses that can get efibre and upc TV but not upc broadband.

The comparison is one of TV service alone and nothing else.
    It's a bargain price if you are an Eircom broadband customer that can choose between upc basic TV sky basic TV and the new eVision TV. Its by far the cheapest of the 3. Or if you have the choice of sky or eVision only then again it's a bargain

We see you seem to be anti eVision and pro upc but let others make the choice of paying a tenner or the bones of 30 quid and see which one they prefer

tui0hcg wrote: »
    The comparison is one of TV service alone and nothing else.
    the only problem comparing just the tv service alone, is that eircom dont offer a standalone tv service, you have to get a bundle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

the only problem comparing just the tv service alone, is that eircom dont offer a standalone tv service, you have to get a bundle

The original BA was one along the lines of anyone who has Eircom broadband efiber can avail of a TV package for €10 and free for 6 months and that is in comparison to 27 or 28 for Sky or upc.
    I really don't see the issue in making a comparison like that.
    My mother in law currently pays Eircom for broadband (which will be updating to efiber next month for free) and she pays 27 to sky. She will switch to e-vision getting it free for 6 months and then a tenner a month after that. It's a bargain really.

tui0hcg wrote: »
    It's a bargain really.
    lets put it this way, lets take eircom and upc brands out of the equation and use this example

shop A sells x and y for 60 euro
    shop B sells x for 50 euro but you get y for an extra 10 euros,
    shop B is selling lower quality x and y than shop A
    where is the bargain?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

lets put it this way, lets take eircom and upc brands out of the equation and use this example

shop A sells x and y for 60 euro
    shop B sells x for 50 euro but you get y for an extra 10 euros,
    shop B is selling lower quality x and y than shop A
    where is the bargain?

Look, for the THIRD time- for anyone who is on eFibre but gets their TV through UPC then there is a saving of €392 to be had over the course of 18 months with the caveat that eVision has 30 channels and UPC has 50.

It's a great deal for some, mainly for people outside of Dublin who do not have the same range of tv/broadband choices that those in the capital do. There are thousands of people out there who can save themselves €392 if they are willing to forgo 20 channels... as the poster Tui0hcg said his mother in law will be dropping her Sky subscription for 27 a month and moving to eVision- by doing so she will save herself nearly €400 over the course of 18 months - now do you see the bargain ? Or are you seriously arguing that a saving that large isn't a bargain ?

Not everyone in Ireland lives in Dublin like yourself and has all the various TV/broadband options available to them. For those that have access to the Eircom broadband network but are reliant on Sky for TV this is most certainly a bargain. Just because it isn't a bargain for your circumstances doesn't mean it isn't for others, as the previous poster attested to.

• Advertisement

im actually failing to see where you are getting a saving of 392 over 18 months
    do you have a link?
    you need an eircom landline to get their broadband, you need broadband to get evision
    im just not seeing your magical savings, unless you mean if a householder has phone from eircom, tv from upc and broadband from magnet, then you get a saving by bundling up?
    in reality there is no saving to be had by bundling with eircom,
    eircoms efibre is not readily available across ireland to the thousands of people you speak of
    its mainly only currently available in major towns and cities, same as upc
    http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement