Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam Marathon 2014

Options
  • 11-05-2013 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Considering doing this next April. Does anyone know when entry is open and if it is first come first serve basis? I also know its flat and fast but any more info on the marathon would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Entry opened in July last year and I don't think it sold out. You should have no issues getting in if you register early.

Very flat and nice course. Great atmosphere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

Seanie_H wrote: »
    Entry opened in July last year and I don't think it sold out. You should have no issues getting in if you register early.

Very flat and nice course. Great atmosphere too.

Cheers Seanie...where flights/accommodation much hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Jaysus beepbeep! ye had me confused, a beepbeep done it last year, some good info on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

BeepBeep! wrote: »
    Cheers Seanie...where flights/accommodation much hassle?

Well most of our group came in cycling from Paris (Here's the blog if you're interested http://letripfortemplestreet.wordpress.com/our-blog/) but a few flew in. No problems with flights for those who did fly in. Amsterdam airport has a direct connection, 40 mins I think.

We stayed at the Novotel which is the official hotel. Amazing to see the elites walking around and playing table tennis etc! but it was a little over priced. I think accom. in the city is handy enough if you get in early. Getting to and from the start was very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

Lol Ronnie, never realised this before. Great thread...thanks.
    Cheers again Seanie, think ill take the flying option and not the bike. I'll get a read through your blog. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Beepbeeps generally fare better in Kildare marathon than Rotterdam. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's not the most attractive city to run around, having been entirely rebuilt after a bit of a fracas that happened in Europe a few decades ago. The support is good on the populated bits of the city and it is about as flat as a very, very flat thing, the only inclines being the bridge over the river and going down an underpass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Ran it this year, the one thing I'll say is the accomodation is probably the hardest part. Race sold out alright but not until well after Christmas.

Try and book the accom before December if your going to do it, will make things much easier. I stayed at Hotel Emma and found it great, about 3-4 mins walk to start line.

As robin says pan flat but not much to look at as you go around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,403 ✭✭✭Trampas

Going to sign up for Rotterdam this weekend.

Gives me Donadea 50km and this for Spring runs

8 weeks gap between both

Flights booked and entered.

Anyone else entered?

• Advertisement

Trampas wrote: »

Anyone else entered?

Did you enter last year too but didn't make it? I know ecoli is planning to run it, there should be a couple around these parts alright.

blockic wrote: »
    Did you enter last year too but didn't make it? I know ecoli is planning to run it, there should be a couple around these parts alright.

No. 1st time to enter a race outside Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Anyone else entered?
    olly and charlo are...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭vinny1313

The course is mostly flat, but there are a few inclines, the support is as good as Dublin (as in fantastic). Rotterdam is easy to get to by train from Amsterdam. I booked it all pretty late and had no issues finding good accommodation. On the negative side, we were still wearing hats and gloves when we arrived in Rotterdam on the Friday, but it hit 24° or so on Sunday. It just wasn't enough time to adjust, especially after a winter of preparation in the cold/damp. It might not happen every year, but I believe last year wasn't the first time. Also the water is in paper cups with a sponge thing on top!

Thinking if staying in Amsterdam as only half an hour on train.

Or should I stay 1 night in Rotterdam and head to Amsterdam after race

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Thinking if staying in Amsterdam as only half an hour on train.

Or should I stay 1 night in Rotterdam and head to Amsterdam after race

Race is normally at 11 but I would rather get a nights sleep The night before....but I would def stay innamstradam Sunday. I can even taste a cake now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Badreputation

Heading with a group of 6 or 7. Between us all we have traveled there over the last 3 years. We are staying in Rotterdam the night before and after the race. It gets quiet late on in the night of the race (Sunday) in the city center although there is an Irish bar that is a bit lively. Great buzz around the finish and in the bars and outdoor cafes for 3-4 hrs after the race. We plan to head to Amsterdam early on Monday after the race. Agree about the weather.... it can get hot on the day as it did last year but the flat course is a big advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

April 13th 2014

Anyone in for this? A little over 3 months to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

April 13th 2014

Anyone in for this? A little over 3 months to go!

Merged this with a previous thread. Seems to be a decent enough Irish contingent going over - a few from my club mentioned an interest in doing it (only know 2 confirmed though), I think a few of the Raheny lads are going over to.

Looking forward to it myself training been going well. Pay day next week so booking flights hotel and entry then.

Flights booked to Amsterdam and flying back from Brussels (don't ask!). Really looking forward to it now. Hopefully there won't be a repeat of last year weather-wise. Just accommodation to sort out. Might opt for an apartment over hotel.

Taking to someone over the week who reckons its a course three minutes faster than Dublin. Don't really buy into all that but sounds good all the same!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Flights booked to Amsterdam and flying back from Brussels (don't ask!). Really looking forward to it now. Hopefully there won't be a repeat of last year weather-wise. Just accommodation to sort out. Might opt for an apartment over hotel.

Taking to someone over the week who reckons its a course three minutes faster than Dublin. Don't really buy into all that but sounds good all the same!

Plan on Amsterdam flights also much cheaper. Was looking at hotels near enough the start and some reasonable ones which look decent . Anyone have any good recommedations (I know Hotel Emma was mentioned previously)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

ecoli wrote: »
    Plan on Amsterdam flights also much cheaper. Was looking at hotels near enough the start and some reasonable ones which look decent . Anyone have any good recommedations (I know Hotel Emma was mentioned previously)

The Metro is great in Rotterdam so i'm staying closer to Den Haag (right beside a metro stop). Way cheaper than getting close to the start line.

Hotel and entry looked after, still to book flights. All going well..... so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mdlb

Signed up and launched into training!! :)

Living in Antwerp at the minute so will likely be an early morning train for me morning of...

Mr Stew and I stayed in Hotel Emma last year. Perfect 3min jog to the start and it was only 1 street over..I would recommend.

BeepBeep has been there a few times. :pac: and I know he said on overlooking the start/finish last year but can't think of the name of the place.

Amsterdam flights are perfect, no sense in flying to Rotterdam. Train direct from Amsterdam Airport to Rotterdam only takes 30mins.

Be sure to keep an eye out for the tram line on the right before the last corner....Part of my stomach might still be there!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

There is a good few from our club heading over to this so it should be a good weekend.

Do any of you guys that have done it before know if there are pacers. Last years thread mentioned they start at 3.15, is this correct?

wowzer wrote: »
    There is a good few from our club heading over to this so it should be a good weekend.

Do any of you guys that have done it before know if there are pacers. Last years thread mentioned they start at 3.15, is this correct?

Yes, fastest pacers were 3:15 last year, I'd probably advise to run your own race over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

blockic wrote: »
    Yes, fastest pacers were 3:15 last year, I'd probably advise to run your own race over there.

Cheers blockic, looks like I'll have no choice but to pace myself anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

For anyone looking to book flights Aer Lingus are having a decent sale ATM. I actually booked mine on Sunday night before the sale so lost out on €40,:mad:

Looking like there are only 1,500 entries left for the marathon according to Facebook...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

Count me in Team!
    I'm part of 5 Raheny Rockers attending.:)

Advertisement