Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aurora Prospects 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

highdef wrote: »
    What would the implications of this raise in risk level, both geographically and the result?
    Comment: Upgrading the Watch for 13-14 Sep due to anticipated effects from the CME associated with yesterdays R3 (Strong) event.
    Potential Impacts: Area of impact primarily poleward of 50 degrees Geomagnetic Latitude.
    Induced Currents - Power system voltage irregularities possible, false alarms may be triggered on some protection devices.
    Spacecraft - Systems may experience surface charging; increased drag on low Earth-orbit satellites and orientation problems may occur.
    Navigation - Intermittent satellite navigation (GPS) problems, including loss-of-lock and increased range error may occur.
    Radio - HF (high frequency) radio may be intermittent.
    Aurora - Aurora may be seen as low as Pennsylvania to Iowa to Oregon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

mel.b wrote: »
    So I've just booked Fri night in Donegal Town (can't really get much further north that evening as leaving after work) and Sat night for Malin Head. Can anywhere here recommend anywhere around Donegal town (say within 30-40min) that would be picturesque and potentially good viewing?

North end of L. Eske, looking north you just have the Bluestack mountains so pretty much zero light pollution, or take any of the roads north of Mountcharles for the headwaters of the Eany River, same scenery but fewer houses so less light. Or head east, the road through Killeter Forest (just over the border) is pretty dark too...

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

do i have any hope of seeing this tonight? what time should i be looking out for? am i looking north? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

John.Icy wrote: »
    Super moon for the meteor shower just passed, big bright moon currently.

The moon is ruining our lives.

Should still see a little something, but auroras in the summer are apparently hard enough to see with some brightness still in the northern sky and a big bright moon will make things even harder but fingers crossed.
    we just don't have a bright moon to contend with (87% illuminated tonight) but I'm sure its as hazy all over the country as it is where I am, easterlies are generally not good for visibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

I've a good few links and other info over on a thread in the Astronomy forum ... see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057287857&page=2

John (Flannery), Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

we just don't have a bright moon to contend with (87% illuminated tonight) but I'm sure its as hazy all over the country as it is where I am, easterlies are generally not good for visibility.

Yeah. Fog too, fog has been setting in here pretty early the last few nights.

I'm getting less hopeful the longer this blanket of cloud stays over the country. Hopefully it'll begin dispersing properly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭lolie

Looks like it's about to hit, proton levels starting to rise.
    The second smaller cme impacted us last and has died down so the big fella has to go it alone.
    Here's hoping for the cloud to clear and we get a good show.
    Epam_24h.gif

lolie wrote: »
    Looks like it's about to hit, proton levels starting to rise.
    The second smaller cme impacted us last and has died down so the big fella has to go it alone.
    Here's hoping for the cloud to clear and we get a good show.
    Epam_24h.gif

Yep.

GOEShp.gif

100% cloud cover here... the last few days have been clear skies... but of course it would cloud over just as this is about to show up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

0.jpg

Same here ffs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Furez

Thick haze here in monaghan, I can barely see the sun setting. Pity but at least Ive seen it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Very misty the last few nights at Dublin airport location. It's not looking good at all for the next day or two at least. No good at all for meteors or the moon.

So far just a moderate storm. Kp 6. Needs to be stronger than that for aurora to be visible here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

So far just a moderate storm. Kp 6. Needs to be stronger than that for aurora to be visible here.
    Won't make any odds with this cloud we have now, always the way :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Won't make any odds with this cloud we have now, always the way :(

Thanks for that, am in Wicklow but thinking of heading north, will sit tight for more reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

So it's not looking good is it for tonight?
    Around Leinster if it makes any odds.

Lmao_Man wrote: »
    So it's not looking good is it for tonight?
    Around Leinster if it makes any odds.

Dry tonight with clear spells. Mist and fog will become widespread overnight, with some dense fog in places around dawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭highdef

Cloud is moving from south to north. There is a clearance moving northwards at the moment and is currently stretching from around the Galway to Dublin line. It's not completely clear in the clearer area but better than the muck over the past few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

What is kp index at the moment? In Finland and sky has cleared but can't get my usual sites to load on phone.

Wanna know if its worth my while cycling outside city limits. I'm at 63 degrees latitude.

• Advertisement

SWPC_Aurora_Map_N.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Not looking good for here then

will it possibly extend down more if the storm gets stronger? i don't have a clue about these things

Reports of faint aurora visible as far south as Norfolk and Oxfordshire in the UK at the moment, so should be visible here too if there are any clear skies up north.

Meanwhile in Sweden...

BxW94FMIcAIjwpd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

So i'm sitting here in the car overlooking a beac in Donegal. When do i give up waiting for the cloud to clear? I can see the occasional star and the moon popping out from behind clouds but that's it :(

Faint aurora reports from east Donegal on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Faint aurora reports from east Donegal on twitter.

It appears to be clearing here in Narin, so i'll wait it out a bit longer

The only Aurora I will see tonight will be the Aurora of the Dublin airport runway lights. :mad:

Cycled 6km out of city. Too cloudy and moon is very bright. Cycled back home again and cloud has cleared. Car would be handy at these times. I ave seen them from city centre before but I think I will turn in as its heading for 2am here.

• Advertisement

Looking better.

lhaOZw5.png

I don't remember seeing such a high probably reaching that far south on this graphic before.

Advertisement