Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-12-2013, 01:53   #76
Gintonious

Induced comas are standard after any type of head injury like this. Massa was induced as well after his crash in '09.

My thoughts are with him and his family, I grew up watching him on TV, he is beyond an idol for me, he was everything F1 when I watched it.

If anyone can, it's him.
Advertisement
30-12-2013, 02:22   #77
murpho999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintonious View Post
Induced comas are standard after any type of head injury like this. Massa was induced as well after his crash in '09.

My thoughts are with him and his family, I grew up watching him on TV, he is beyond an idol for me, he was everything F1 when I watched it.

If anyone can, it's him.
Hospital statement said he arrived in a coma state so it does not seem induced.

Does not sound good for him, hope I am wrong.
Thanks from:
30-12-2013, 02:25   #78
Gintonious

I did read as well that he was awake when medics arrived, the next 24 hours are very important.
Thanks from:
30-12-2013, 02:34   #79
SIX PACK

It is a very serious head injury ill be devastated if he doesn't pull trough grew up watching him make history in F1. He made records the likes that will never be seen again. Thaughts and prayers are with the Schumacher family. Next few hours are crucial
(2) thanks from:
30-12-2013, 02:40   #80
Daqster
Banned

Latest article on it:

Quote:
Former F1 Champ Schumacher in Coma After Brain Surgery

Seven-time Formula One champion Michael Schumacher was in critical condition after undergoing brain surgery following a skiing accident in the French Alps on Sunday, doctors said.

The Grenoble University Hospital Center said the retired racing driver arrived at the clinic in a coma and underwent immediate surgery for a serious head trauma.

It was not clear whether the 44-year-old Schumacher was still in a coma but the hospital statement, which was signed by a neurosurgeon, an anesthesiologist and Marc Penaud, the hospital's deputy director, said "he remains in a critical condition."

Schumacher fell while skiing off-piste in Meribel earlier Sunday and hit his head on a rock, according to a statement from the resort. Resort managers said he had been wearing a helmet and was conscious when rescuers first responded to the scene.

Earlier in the day, the Meribel resort said Schumacher had been taken to Grenoble for tests and authorities said his life was not in danger.

But the situation began to appear more serious when the resort said that orthopedic and trauma surgeon Gerard Saillant had traveled from Paris to the hospital in Grenoble to examine Schumacher. German news agency dpa said it was Saillant who operated on Schumacher when he broke his leg during a crash at the Silverstone race course in 1999.

In an email to The Associated Press, Schumacher's manager Sabine Kehm said the champion German driver was on a private skiing trip and "fell on his head."

"We ask for understanding that we cannot give running updates on his condition. He wore a helmet and was not alone," Kehm said. Schumacher's 14-year-old son was skiing with his father when the accident happened, the resort said.

As news of the accident spread, Formula One drivers used social media to wish Schumacher a quick recovery.

His former Ferrari teammate Felipe Massa, who recovered from life-threatening injuries sustained at the Hungarian Grand Prix in 2009, wrote on Instagram: "I am praying for you my brother!! I hope you have a quick recovery!! God bless you Michael."

The Twitter feed of Germany's Adrian Sutil, who drives for Sauber, read: "I hope Michael Schumacher will get well soon! All my best to him and his family." Romain Grosjean of Lotus tweeted: "All our thoughts to Schumi and his family! Hope you will recover soon #legend #Schumi."

Support also came from leading German sports personalities, ranging from the NBA to soccer. Dallas Mavericks power forward Dirk Nowitzki said his thoughts were with Schumacher, while Lukas Podolski, who plays for Arsenal in the English Premier League, tweeted: "Bad news from Switzerland: please get well soon, Michael Schumacher. All the best for you, my friend! #getwellsoon #MichaelSchumacher."
Advertisement
30-12-2013, 02:48   #81
RidleyRider

Schumi was a huge hero of mine as a kid. I remember walking about in full Ferrari kit waiting for Sundays to come when I could see him race.

A true legend of the sport with zero knowledge of when to stop or give up. Come on Schumi, you've made come backs before, make this your greatest!
(2) thanks from:
30-12-2013, 03:55   #82
Lapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
I have no desire to joke about it - I just take great offence to op's who start threads and then attempt to dictate the responses
Phone fucking Liveline with your 'great offence' then and take your sick jokes with you while you're at it.
30-12-2013, 04:20   #83
Jonkenji

I fear the only 2 outcomes from this are death or living with a serious brain injury :-( Really hope he proves me wrong and makes a full recovery.
Thanks from:
30-12-2013, 09:17   #84
Queen-Mise
Subscriber

There is going to be a news conference at 10am about his condition - with three neurosurgeons.

On a side note - I wouldn't like to be one of the neurosurgeon in charge of Michael Schumacher. Could you imagine the pressure?
Advertisement
30-12-2013, 09:23   #85
Buttonftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen-Mise View Post
There is going to be a news conference at 10am about his condition - with three neurosurgeons.

On a side note - I wouldn't like to be one of the neurosurgeon in charge of Michael Schumacher. Could you imagine the pressure?
Some lad arrived yesterday who is a personal friend of Schumacher and a few other F1 heads. The medical personnel within the motorsport circles are all fantastic and used to working on/with people they know and in very high-profile cases.
30-12-2013, 09:43   #86
sunflower27

Sad news to wake up to. Like everyone else, I hope he pulls through. Really makes you realise how fragile life is and how truly precious.
30-12-2013, 10:07   #87
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by murpho999 View Post
Hospital statement said he arrived in a coma state so it does not seem induced.

Does not sound good for him, hope I am wrong.
IIRC he was induced into a coma in the initial hospital before being transferred.
30-12-2013, 10:33   #88
ryanf1

So he does have a clot on the brain. His body temperature is being kept down to try to relieve the pressure.
He is still critical but as the doctors said, it realy is too soon to give a prognosis
Thanks from:
30-12-2013, 11:31   #89
Andy-Pandy

He was my childhood hero, hope he pulls through
Thanks from:
30-12-2013, 11:55   #90
errlloyd

Send a message via MSN to errlloyd
He was / is my sporting hero. The definitive guy I always wanted to be. I've read his biographies and watched his races. I had the Ferrari tshirt and even shoes.

I really hope he makes it.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion