Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual sim android

Options
  • 11-11-2013 5:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭

I'm going to purchase a dual sim android phone

Been looking at either:

Acer Liquid E2 or a Wiko Stairway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Depends if you want to spend the extra to get 5 inch screen and gorilla glass. Else save the €100 or so and get the Acer.... Both phones have good reports.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

now i've started looking at the HTC desire 600! - too many choices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Theres a huge thread on here about them, have a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Oakes

Theres a huge thread on here about them, have a read.

I purhased the Liquid E2 last week. I bought it ex VAT (registered business) and the cost was euro166 (a bargin, even if you add 23% VAT) and delivery. I bought online from a UK vendor. I know a Dublin store which is supposed to be selling this model in the next week or so but I need the phone last week.

I watched a lot of you tube videos about the phone to familiarise myself with it before I purchased. I was considering dual sim GS4 and HTC One. As this was my first foray into the dual sim world I thought I would spend a little bit and if I found the dual sim to be useful then the purchase of a more expensive model would be a wise escaltion. I am very happy with the LE2. It runs both an Irish (Three network) and UK (O2). What I really like, and perhaps this is the sme with other andriod dual sim phones, is that both sims are active. I can choose whether to dial out or text through either sim and I keep the deafult 3G setting to Ireland except when I travel to the UK. I have received calls on the phone from both Ireland and the UK to both sims. Also nice is the option to dial out via the internet, eg through my skype account. The 8M back camera is great. I am sure the more expensive models do some things better than the LE2, but at the moment I am happy with the phone especially at the price. I would recommend investing in a second battery (like I did when I had a Samsung Galaxy ace) however finding a second battery for the LE2 is easier said then done. I took the phone fully charged on Saturday to Limerick to watch the Legaue (no comments please) and by the time I got home (8 hour round trip) the phone had very little charge left but I do run a lot of apps, yet I did set the brightness to lowest settings and I ran the 'killapp' application every so often to help preserve the battery. Eight hours will not suffice for a business day trip to London for me. But there are options to address this issue too, such as a portable recharger, charging off a laptop and of course AC power supply. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

johnmck wrote: »

Looks good. 13 meg camera on back and gorilla glass. What (roughly) was price?

I can get it for about €265 + €30 postage - €295 total.

I can get it for about €265 + €30 postage - €295 total.

Sounds like a good purchase. Good price based on its specs too. Hope it goes well

damn it they don't post to IReland :(

Ship it to Parcel Motel

• Advertisement

hmm never used it before!

so how do I use Parcel Motel to get the French retailer to deliver it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

so how do I use Parcel Motel to get the French retailer to deliver it?

They would have to ship to the UK. Do they or will they only deliver to France?

seems they ship to the UK. So I just give them the Parcel Motel address in Antrim, and then they ship it onto me -right?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

seems they ship to the UK. So I just give them the Parcel Motel address in Antrim, and then they ship it onto me -right?

Yes. If you look on Parcel Motel website it explains it pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

Where did you buy it from ?... do you have a link.

Nice looking phone to be fair.

Barr wrote: »
    Where did you buy it from ?... do you have a link.

Nice looking phone to be fair.

I used Amazon.fr for the previous model.
    It's here and will deliver to Ireland as it's sold & shipped by themselves. Stock in on Nov 18th.
    (Link doesn't want to work... search Amazon.fr for it...)

Ordered it :)

€273 includes delivery. Excellent price compared to other smartphones I think. Can't wait

^^^
    From Amazon.fr I guess? ;).
    Hope you enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

So I ordered the Stairway of Amazon.fr last night.

Just wondering about updates? I see it comes with Android 4.2.1. Is there any way of updating this to 4.3 or 4.4 when it comes out?

Also, is there anywhere I can buy a case for it? They have sellers on Amazon.fr but they don't ship to Ireland or the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Today's IBOOD is a dual sim phone. Acer Liquid E2 DUO.

http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/

So I ordered the Stairway of Amazon.fr last night.

Just wondering about updates? I see it comes with Android 4.2.1. Is there any way of updating this to 4.3 or 4.4 when it comes out?

Also, is there anywhere I can buy a case for it? They have sellers on Amazon.fr but they don't ship to Ireland or the UK

Wiko aren't going to update it apparently and there's a few people not happy. Seems they might have just moved on to concentrate on their Darkxxx range. You can custom ROM it but therein lies a few risks!

I bought the smoked/grey case from here. They didn't del. to Ireland/UK so I emailed them to ask if they could and a few hours later the option was on their site!! Paypal checkout and all. I was amazed and can't complain about the service!! The order was sent with tracking as well.....
    If your French isn't up to speed (as mine isn't) use Chrome to translate the site.

Thanks, must check that site out! Can you remember how much the case was, delivery etc?

Really? That's a bit annoying. Is the Stairway not only out a few months?

Thanks, must check that site out! Can you remember how much the case was, delivery etc?

Really? That's a bit annoying. Is the Stairway not only out a few months?

Price was about €12 all in. I was expecting it to be €11 + €5 European del. but it seems they took off the French Tax of 19.6% by mistake.... :D They may have fixed that now....

Yeah it's new alright and a good few people are annoyed. Doesn't really affect me as i jumped up from 2.2 anyhow.
    Have a look at these French forums (in chrome)
    http://forum.frandroid.com/forum/494-wiko/
    http://wikoandco.fr/index.php/forum/index/

There's also an online petition to get them to update the Stairway. Not sure it'll have any affect though.
    http://forum.frandroid.com/topic/171111-obsolescence-p%C3%A9tition-pour-que-wiko-nous-fournisse-des-mises-%C3%A0-jours/

Thanks a million, you're a legend.

I'm upgrading from a ZTE Blade 2.2 as well so looking forward to getting it.

I've done some Custom ROM's before so if there is a way to upgrade it down the line I'd be tempted.

Is the Micromax Canvas 4 the same as the Stairway? I see you can blow air on it and it will unlock, 'look away' technology when watching a video etc. Does the Stairway have those features no?

Thanks a million, you're a legend.

I'm upgrading from a ZTE Blade 2.2 as well so looking forward to getting it.

I've done some Custom ROM's before so if there is a way to upgrade it down the line I'd be tempted.

Is the Micromax Canvas 4 the same as the Stairway? I see you can blow air on it and it will unlock, 'look away' technology when watching a video etc. Does the Stairway have those features no?

Thanks!

It is basically the Canvas 4 as far as I can tell. It doesn't do those gestures though, only the attached options are on mine and I think some don't work so well. I only use the two ticked.

Thanks.

You just using the stock ROM? Anything else I need to know about it?

Thanks.

You just using the stock ROM? Anything else I need to know about it?

Ha...! Now you're worried... :p

I've had mine 2 months now and no problems. I only run it with one SIM so can't comment on how it is with two SIMs and the battery life. Battery life for me is good but I mostly use it on wifi and not 3G. The only thing I have found is the wifi range isn't as good as some other phones. With my older HTC I could get further away from the wifi router/modem before it dropped the signal. 3G is fine though.

As it's a base stock ROM build stick on Power Toggles which gives a nice customisable pull down menu in the notification area which allows you to quickly 'one touch' things like Silence/Data/Wifi etc. Looking at my apps that's all I had to add to make it very usable.

MBSnr wrote: »
    Ha...! Now you're worried... :p

I've had mine 2 months now and no problems. I only run it with one SIM so can't comment on how it is with two SIMs and the battery life. Battery life for me is good but I mostly use it on wifi and not 3G. The only thing I have found is the wifi range isn't as good as some other phones. With my older HTC I could get further away from the wifi router/modem before it dropped the signal. 3G is fine though.

As it's a base stock ROM build stick on Power Toggles which gives a nice customisable pull down menu in the notification area which allows you to quickly 'one touch' things like Silence/Data/Wifi etc. Looking at my apps that's all I had to add to make it very usable.

I'll be using it for the dual sim function so hopefully it works well. Hopefully the WIFI range isn't too bad as my bedroom is a good bit away from the router.

Estimated delivery is tomorrow so I'll get back to you with my thoughts then!

• Advertisement

I've got impatient - I've heard no word back from Amazon.fr on the Darkfull phone. It's still saying they are waiting. I might just cancel the order.

I need a phone ASAP. So I'm thinking of either getting the
    ALCATEL One Touch Idol 6030D
    Or
    Wiko Stairway from pixmania

http://www.pixmania.ie/smartphones/alcatel-one-touch-idol-6030d-unlocked/21525079-a.html

http://www.pixmania.ie/smartphones/wiko-stairway-smartphone-grey/21745142-a.html

Advertisement