Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€14k for a 2006 V50 replacement

Options
  • 28-10-2013 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, so, the decision has finally been made. A new (used) car will be bought in 2014, as the old girl is getting tired.

She's a 2006 Volvo V50 2.0D with most of the fancy shmancy gadgets (high performance audio, leather, mfsw, heated seats).

My parents (as they're the ones looking) are looking for a post-2008 car, with up to about 70k miles (I'll try to convince them to a bit higher mileage though, maybe something like 80-90k). Must be estate (although may try to convince to a saloon), must be diesel, must have leather, heated seats and it should be something with plenty of poke (2.0 diesels most preferrably)

The budget is €12k (although can be stretched to 14k as I'm a good son, and if it's something worth that cash, I'll throw in the extra €2k).

Go away with the Hyundai rubbish, they test drove the i40 and were massively dissapointed with its driving capabilites and fit and finish compared to the Volvo.

Cars they are NOT interested in:

- Hyundai i40
    - Kia C'eed
    - Ssangyong of any kind
    - Volkswagen Golf Estate / Golf Plus
    - Any BMW with the N47 engine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

Sobanek wrote: »

Go away with the Hyundai rubbish, they test drove the i40 and were massively dissapointed with its driving capabilites and fit and finish compared to the Volvo.
    They might eat their words if they go for a 1.6diesel without a full and proper service history. That engine is the psa engine designed by ford and peugeot.
    See what can happen to them
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=psa%20engine&source=web&cd=13&ved=0CFUQFjAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theturboguy.com%2Fuploads%2F1%2F0%2F3%2F5%2F10358883%2Fapi-presentation_1.6_hodi_carbon_issues-3-2.pdf&ei=QVBuUuPdOsWu7AbzxoFo&usg=AFQjCNF4za6E1R-y5HVd4vRMbDoro1qSTw&bvm=bv.55123115,d.ZGU
    Hyundia have the best 1.6 diesel engine on the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

She's a 2006 Volvo V50 2.0D
    plenty of poke (2.0 diesels most preferrably)

Compared to your typical Irish buyer, a 200e a year difference in tax won't make a difference in the engine choice.

According to my mother (after test driving a 1.6 TDI Octavia):
    It lacked power. 2 litre would be way better

Also: Petrol not an option as they do 21k miles a year, 80% of that is motorway driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just to save time, are we talking just 'premium'ish brands, Volvo, audi, mercedes, bmw etc?

Would something like a mercedes b class do the job? Not strictly an estate but the v50 isn't huge either.

Colm, I'd say yes, although "no reasonable offer refused"

My types so far were:
    - 2008 C200 CDI Elegance Saloon
    - 2009 Passat TDI Highline Estate (DSG)
    - 2008 V50 2.0D SE LUX
    - 2008 A4 S-Line Saloon (New shape)

And I know my ma says no, but I'd seriously consider importing from the UK.

Also, this caught my eye, but it's the only one for 10k gbp.

Are they happy enough selling the v50 privately?

• Advertisement

Yes, no need to trade in. They expect to get about 5.5k for it privately, 6k if lucky.

Just to get this one out of the way. Are they Alfa type people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

are you still buying own car too OP?
    If you contribute some € to this purchase will that not constrain own plan?

cabb8ge wrote: »
    are you still buying own car too OP?
    If you contribute some € to this purchase will that not constrain own plan?

Nah, I'm alright. Got more hours than expected so €2k won't hurt me too bad :D I kind of treat it like Christmas/Birthday gift for my mom ;)

645ci is out of the question for now, as I haven't moved to Dublin, therefore mileage too high. Something along the lines of a 2005 523i planned (+LPG conversion)
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Just to get this one out of the way. Are they Alfa type people?

Dad is, the mother isn't.

Good to see such things :)

• Advertisement

cabb8ge wrote: »
    Good to see such things :)

Extra hours, or a half-good son that is willing to throw in €2k for maintaining his arse for 20 years? :D

I think second piece :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Coming from a Volvo, it's going to be difficult to go in to anything but another Volvo - from a value for money perspective, with a bit of brand snobbery too. Had a similar dilemma ourselves last year, needing something bigger than a V50.
    And I know my ma says no, but I'd seriously consider importing from the UK.

Also, this caught my eye, but it's the only one for 10k gbp.

Good value in bringing in a Volvo from the UK. Emissions are pretty low for most of the newer ones, pricing is reasonable, and there is something other than D2/1.6d models. I would be wary about that sort of mileage on early S60's - had issues with a few from 160k +, which is a damn shame as they are brilliant to drive.

Worth looking at a D3/D4/D5 V50 or V70 from the UK? Whatever comes in budget with lowest mileage and best specification.

V70 is a bit too big. She tried the V60 and it was similar in terms of spacial awareness to the V50, so that's why I thought about the S60.

Comes up to 16k with the VRT and importing it. Hoping they might be available for 9k in 2014.

Saw a 2009 V50 D5 SE LUX, fully specced, with decent mileage (65k). Total with VRT, travel cost, independent mechanic check was 13.5k. It would be ideal if it wasn't for the towbar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

What about the Ford Focus Titanium Spec estate ?

Basically the same as the V50 without the rapey price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

I'd be interested in their V50...

We're holding onto it until around January mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

We're holding onto it until around January mate.

Ye saw in the OP you said 2014. I've a long term goal of changing the focus in the next 6 months so it would suit fairly well.
    All depending on spec and condition and history, which sounds like it'd be good.

I'd seriously appreciate a PM and/or a post in this thread when you pop it up for sale.

alexlyons wrote: »
    Ye saw in the OP you said 2014. I've a long term goal of changing the focus in the next 6 months so it would suit fairly well.
    All depending on spec and condition and history, which sounds like it'd be good.

I'd seriously appreciate a PM and/or a post in this thread when you pop it up for sale.

Not a bother mate.

In terms of history, our friend mechanic has lost the service book that was kept from new until 140k kms. Right now it has 169k kms on the clock, so in January should have about 175k. (109k mls)

Full spec anyways - black leather, multifunction steering wheel, heated front seats, 17" Scotia Wheels, Headlight Washers, 8 Speaker High Performance Sound system.

Suspension needs a bit of work at the moment, but will most likely be sorted before January.

NCT till July 14.

Colour is the lovely, rare, blackcurrant pearl. She's getting a detail in about two weeks time, so I'll post some pics once she's looking mighty fine :D

Anyways, this isn't adverts, so I'll shut up now. I'll PM you when it's for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

You could get a 09 Jag XF in budget.

• Advertisement

Kaiser D wrote: »
    You could get a 09 Jag XF in budget.

You're joking :eek:

You're joking :eek:

Oh, actually, is the €14k budget including the €6k for the Volvo? :o

Kaiser D wrote: »
    Oh, actually, is the €14k budget including the €6k for the Volvo? :o

Yessss, unfortunately :) But on the bright side, no loan from the bank :D

Yessss, unfortunately :) But on the bright side, no loan from the bank :D

Well in that case you'll need to go back a year for an XF,

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Jaguar/XF/2.7-LUXU/201327215807853/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users Posts: 35,745 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

15256-toyota-avensis-8362.jpg

What are these like in a diesel.

15256-toyota-avensis-8362.jpg

What are these like in a diesel.

Cheapo paddy spec in that budget I'm afraid :(

That isn't pretty.
    Not pretty at all. I was talking yesterday with a local shop owner who has a 09 Partner that he was told needs a new turbo at less than 80k.
    I told him he may be wasting his money as by the time the turbo goes the engine is in big trouble.
    He is not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

timmy4u2 wrote: »
    Not pretty at all. I was talking yesterday with a local shop owner who has a 09 Partner that he was told needs a new turbo at less than 80k.
    I told him he may be wasting his money as by the time the turbo goes the engine is in big trouble.
    He is not impressed.

Once the engine is inspected and the appropriate preventative steps are taken there is no reason why the replacement turbo won't last.

There is so much scaremongering about this engine on the internet that you would wonder how one of them manages to complete a journey without catastrophic failure.

One thing I have been meaning to do recently is to carry out an analysis of all the DV6 engines on our books showing mileage and rates of turbo failure. I reckon the results would surprise you.

• Advertisement

Once the engine is inspected and the appropriate preventative steps are taken there is no reason why the replacement turbo won't last.

There is so much scaremongering about this engine on the internet that you would wonder how one of them manages to complete a journey without catastrophic failure.

One thing I have been meaning to do recently is to carry out an analysis of all the DV6 engines on our books showing mileage and rates of turbo failure. I reckon the results would surprise you.
    There is no scaremongering about it. When the engine carbons up they are near death. I have seen it myself.
    Look at the link that I posted. Read the Citroen Forums; read the Peugeot forums. They are not all wrong.
    BMW fitted them in the Mini but they had them changed to a timing chain instead of a cam belt. BMW are withdrawing their contract in 2016.
    It is not the turbos that are at fault and flushing the engineonly delays the inevitable.
    That is not to say that properly serviced engines with the low saps oil will not give good service.
    Andvto further lengthen the life of the engine use Dipetane at every fuel fill

Advertisement